Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2005, 23:50   #1
BHPian

pioneer 4750

I have a Pioneer 4750 in my Baleno. I need an Ipod connecting cable models "cd-rb10" or "cd-rb20" by Pioneer. Where can I get this in India or abroad through the internet? Also, is there any way to wire the HU to the auto-antenna so that the antenna comes out only when "Tuner" is selected as the source. It appears from the catalog that this can be done, but my installer says it's impossible.
Old 30th September 2005, 23:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord
I have a Pioneer 4750 in my Baleno. I need an Ipod connecting cable models "cd-rb10" or "cd-rb20" by Pioneer. Where can I get this in India or abroad through the internet? Also, is there any way to wire the HU to the auto-antenna so that the antenna comes out only when "Tuner" is selected as the source. It appears from the catalog that this can be done, but my installer says it's impossible.
mumbai... autocop sells pio stuff. donno abt cables. u can get their add frm soem auto mag.

and i think ur can wire ur hu 2 autoantenna if ur hu supports. my old alpine supported thsi setuo ( i think)

find another installer or do it urself if u have ur HU's manual
Old 1st October 2005, 00:00   #3
BHPian

It is certainly possible. The HU has a wire at the back specifically for the remote antenna thing.
Old 1st October 2005, 00:03   #4
BHPian

Where does that wire from the back of HU go? Anyone has a wiring diagram of the Baleno?
Old 1st October 2005, 00:13   #5
BHPian

Not sure. I have not seen what wiring needs to be done for an automatic antenna. Maybe the others can help.
Old 1st October 2005, 12:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

most auto anteenas come up when the power on the HU is turned on. Dont remember if i my Opel Astra's OEM HUs' antenna came up only when the tuner was selected as I had that deck in the car exactly for 1/2 day in 1996. Maybe today's decks have logic that tells the anteanna not to come on untill the tuner is selected. JB, Sam, Driven, Gunbir can you guys help?
Old 1st October 2005, 19:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Well... Most of the time the auto antenna is powered direct and gets a trigger from the blue 'remote' cable that also turns on all your amps etc. Since there is only one remote cable in such systems, everything turns on or off simultaneously.

However, in some newer HUs there is a separate trigger cable for antenna. This output is only triggered when the tuner is selected as source.

If I remember correctly, I have not seen any budget HUs with a separate antenna trigger output. Still, look behind your HU for a (yellow sometimes) cable marked Antenna.
Old 1st October 2005, 23:52   #8
BHPian

Thanks gunbir, I looked behind, there is no yellow cable. After many tries, found that the blue wire extends the antenna whenever the HU is turned on, irrespective of the type of source.
Old 2nd October 2005, 15:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi!

Let me elaborate a little bit on this. All Power Antennae have 3 wires. One to go to the battery direct, one to the earth and one whcih is a trigger. (usually the thinnest wire on the unit)
As long as there is 12V at this thin wire, the antenna is up. Take away the 12V and the antenna comes down.
Now in certain units you have TWO blue trigger wires. One that peaks up to 12V when all sources are on, and one that gives out 12V only in tuner mode.
I too, hate it if I'm listening to CD and the power antanna is up. I find it too "hero, hero"

What I would do, is disconnect the power antenna from the head unit. Connect a switch ( a small on off toggle) to the trigger wire of the power antenna buss. Put the switch between the ignition on off and the trigger. (This is so you dont leave the antenna up by mistake when you leave the car)

Put it up if you want to, put it down if you want to. All good relationships work well this way

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 2nd October 2005 at 15:06.
Old 2nd October 2005, 17:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Hi!

Let me elaborate a little bit on this.......What I would do, is disconnect the power antenna from the head unit. Connect a switch ( a small on off toggle) to the trigger wire of the power antenna buss. Put the switch between the ignition on off and the trigger. (This is so you dont leave the antenna up by mistake when you leave the car)...
Thanks for a lucid explanation of how the trigger works. Would I be right in this interpretation:
If I put a switch wired to the trigger wire, will it not go "off" if the key is removed from ignition? In other words, even if I forget the switch in the "on" position, moment I remove key from ignition, it will cut power to the switch?
Old 2nd October 2005, 22:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

No problems with the Indica on this front either.... One stupid & silly looking internal antenna (i call it, band-aid strip).... LOL
Old 7th October 2005, 14:57   #12
BHPian

Another q on Pio 4750. Is there any way to dim the light output from the HU faceplate at night? It is quite bright and distracting.
I was told some HUs have to be connected to the parking lights, when they are turned on, the light from the faceplate gets dimmer. Any experience here?
Old 7th October 2005, 15:16   #13
Team-BHP Support

I face the same problem too! Could not find anything in the instruction manual about brightness reduction
Old 7th October 2005, 23:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord
Another q on Pio 4750. Is there any way to dim the light output from the HU faceplate at night? It is quite bright and distracting.
I was told some HUs have to be connected to the parking lights, when they are turned on, the light from the faceplate gets dimmer. Any experience here?
Most higher HU models have a dimmer wire which needs to be connected to your "parking lights" circuit. Eg the higher Pioneer HUs even let you set "day brightness" and "night brightness".

I dont think the 4750 has that feature.
Old 8th October 2005, 03:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Most higher HU models have a dimmer wire which needs to be connected to your "parking lights" circuit. Eg the higher Pioneer HUs even let you set "day brightness" and "night brightness".

I dont think the 4750 has that feature.
Gunbir, just found this review for Pioneer 7700 on crutchfield.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8bnW25U...&pg=4&sortBy=3

Almost everyone complaining about its display. Even with dimmer on, like the dude below says, its too bright. Dont know first hand though, since I dont own it. However to have 2.2V pre amp outputs for such a costly unit is a shame!

Bad Stuff: Really my only complaint is that at night its FREAKING BRIGHT!!! and you can adjust the brightness only on the display, not the buttons that emit a super blue light. You See the ring of blue around the joystick knob, ya you cant dim it! its just always super bright! It makes for quite a distraction when your driving, the whole cab lights up! I find myself flipping down the diplay just to turn it off...but during the day, its gorgeous!

Last edited by aseem : 8th October 2005 at 03:19.

Most Viewed