Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2005, 15:34   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Funny now 2 thread are discussing "Sam" and "Hanging". Sam you getting the picture? :-) LOL ha ha ha ha.
Hahaha. How about letting us know how the compos sound now?
Old 21st October 2005, 15:42   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
abey pagal hey kya??? sab ke samne??? teri wat lagjayegi..

hahah sorry for going but this is too funny im presumming some one from jbl said it but why ??
Old 21st October 2005, 16:41   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Hahaha. How about letting us know how the compos sound now?
wait till saturday/monday please?
Old 22nd October 2005, 12:46   #79
Team-BHP Support

ok when the 6.8uf cap bought the mid up a bit but in careful listening i found that the tweeter was a little lispy. i might have to look at the crossover again. meanwhile some personal problems have put this on the backburner. more next week.
Old 2nd November 2005, 12:20   #80
Team-BHP Support

ok 6.8uf was a tad lispy so i finally settled for 5.3uf (4.7 + 0.47). I dont know why the lispyness would turn up in the midbass as it tends to be a quality of tweeters, It might be due the some phase anomaly or cone breakup.

The Infinity 5010 replaced a Vifa component set using P13 and D26NC drivers.

I played 6 CDs (all Santana - Viva Santana, Supernatural and Dance of the Rainbow Serpent). I use Santana has his music mates complex percuassion and rhythms with simple solo guitar and fuses rock, jazz, and blues. Also the production values are quite good (Pink Floyd and Alan Parsons might be better).

The Good:
The upper midbass was nice and the speaker had just about the same warmth as the Vifa and the tonal characteristics were neutral. That Harman has managed to squeeze the D26NC's characteristics into a smaller package that fit into the front tweeter pod in a bonus.

The Bad:
The Low end is not as extended as the Vifa. I think the midbass might have the Xmax and can be EQed to compensate but with the same settings the Vifa felt a bit more soild.

The Ugly:
The grills. They leave the speaker exposed (thankfully I did not need them) and look tacky with that silver plastic trim.

Last edited by navin : 2nd November 2005 at 12:22.
Old 2nd November 2005, 13:00   #81
BHPian

Quote:
I played 6 CDs (all Santana - Viva Santana, Supernatural and Dance of the Rainbow Serpent). I use Santana has his music mates complex percuassion and rhythms with simple solo guitar and fuses rock, jazz, and blues. Also the production values are quite good (Pink Floyd and Alan Parsons might be better).
Hey Navin, according to you is Pink Floyd good for testing? How about Queen's "I want to break free" track?
Old 2nd November 2005, 13:15   #82
Team-BHP Support

You need to listen to more than 1 track and I prefer AOR (Album Oriented Rock) as it gives me all the textures I am lookig for. Queen does have some deent production values but is not as multi dimensional as Santana.
Old 2nd November 2005, 13:23   #83
BHPian

Thanks for the info, Navin. But what about Pink Floyd like I had asked in my post?
Old 2nd November 2005, 13:36   #84
Team-BHP Support

Pink has excellent production vlaues but I dont think their music covers multiple genres like Santana does. BTW the Pink Floyd I know is from Atom Heart Mother, Umma Gumma, Animals, Wish you were here, Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. They do experiment with special effect a lot though and before movies like T2, Platoon, and Jurassic Park we used Pink Floyd to understand what makes good subwoofers.
Old 2nd November 2005, 14:36   #85
BHPian

The Dark Side of the Moon. Yes, now you are talking. I would also test audio gear with Tracy Chapman's first album, UB 40's song Kingston Town, Alan Parsons Project's Limelight, Sa Trincha and a few others. These have very clear, distinct notes, particularly in the low frequency regions. Dido's voice would be good for testing sibilance.
Old 2nd November 2005, 14:41   #86
Team-BHP Support

Dido's voice is excellent for female vocals as is Patricia Barber's, Mary Chapin Carpenter's, Carole King's and Patty Griffin.

Why am i so hung on female vocals? well most speakers will have a tweeeter. most tweeters are crossed in teh 2-4k range. this is upper limit of female vocals and using female vocals one can hear if the crossover is well designed in this area.

The human brain is far more sensitive to the range on the human voice than either extreme of the audible spectrum. Think about it. The first voice you probably heard as an infant was your mother's voice. We as humans have been programmed by this and hence our ears are most sensitive to this range.

Last edited by navin : 2nd November 2005 at 14:44.
Old 2nd November 2005, 14:44   #87
BHPian

Mary Chapin Carpenter. Yes. Another great artist I know but have not heard much of her work. Any good albums you could suggest? The others I do not know.
Old 2nd November 2005, 14:46   #88
Team-BHP Support

MCC - Come On Come On, Patty Griffin - 1000 Kisses, Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue, Carole King - Tapestry.
Old 2nd November 2005, 21:35   #89
BHPian

Very nice music recommendations Navin. My favourites female vocalist are Mary Chapin Carpenter. Patricia Barber, Diana Krall, Notrah Jones and Loreena McKennitt.

Reason why we audiophiles are hung on female voices are they are very difficult to reproduce by loudspeaker and they exploit the capabilities of midrange and tweeter in the crossover area. And the coherence of both the drivers and the quality of crossover is well tested.

The only other test I consider for testing loudspeakers capability is Piano.

Last edited by Autophile : 2nd November 2005 at 21:36.
Old 2nd November 2005, 21:51   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
MCC - Come On Come On, Patty Griffin - 1000 Kisses, Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue, Carole King - Tapestry.
Nice selection there Navinji. And I agree on the Santana discs. Pink Floyd remains a classic pick. I also suggest the Michael Jackson 'Bad' album, it sounds wonderful on a well tuned system. In recent releases, the Usher 'Confessions' album sounds very nice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks