Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 11:07   #31

Need Advice for Front Speakers

Hi

I have a Chevy Beat Petrol base model and here is the audio scene of my car right now:
  1. Pioneer Head Unit (DEH-6390SD)
  2. 2 Rear 2150 Pioneers on the Tray
  3. 1 1200W Pioneer Sub on a box in the boot
  4. 1 4 channel 500W Xplod Amp
Right now there are two 4inch local JBLs fitted in the front, but they are not giving the optimum output. The local fitting guy said that ff connected with the amp the speakers may crack. So right now it is connected with the head unit.

Am sure the speakers are not original as I got it for a very less price and had no warranty.

Need advice in terms of which speakers should I buy, I want something 4 inch and pretty powerful. Please advice some good speakers and do tell me whether it is okay to connect it with the amp.

Cheers!!

Neil
Old 19th July 2012, 12:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need Advice for Front Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarneil View Post
... The local fitting guy said that ff connected with the amp the speakers may crack. So right now it is connected with the head unit. ...
LOL Look at it this way - if you were to drive your car at the maximum indicated speed in the speedometer, or at the maximum power rating of the engine, things will be really scary - and definitely some car parts will part company with the car! BUT ... that is not what you do, right?

In the same way, a speaker is NOT driven to the max with an amp. An amp enhances the way bass and treble are handled, equally when playing at low volume or high, without distorting. Distortion starts appearing when either the amp or the speaker reaches the physical limit - and it is VERY audible much before they are damaged.

Your plan is good, but with a bit of a problem: that setup will be mayhem for the people in the back seat, and most of your music will feel coming from the rear. For most people, this will not be a likable situation. Either omit the 6x9, or omit the sub.

IMHO, you should FIRST try with 6x9 coaxials on the parcel shelf (MDF, not the original). Drive both the front and rear speakers with the amp, and tune it so that you get a decent front image (without the amp, you can't do it). If you are satisfied with that, you won't need the sub.
Old 19th July 2012, 12:19   #33

Hi DerAlte

Thanks a lot for the clarity, thinkgs are starting to make sense now. I wil ltry tuning it with the 6x9 coaxials and the front.

But I am little hesitant of omitting the Sub, i kinda love the boom effect of it. Any other way i can do it where i can keep all of the above and still get a good front speaker experience? Maybe a change of amp? No?

Old 19th July 2012, 12:20   #34
Senior - BHPian

If you are sure, the front speakers are 'local jbls', trash them and get yourself real JBL comps. Since you have an amp already, the amp can power the comps and improve your front sound stage drastically.
Old 19th July 2012, 14:06   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
If you are sure, the front speakers are 'local jbls', trash them and get yourself real JBL comps. Since you have an amp already, the amp can power the comps and improve your front sound stage drastically.
That certainly is a way to look at it. Initially i thought of the same. Thanks a lot!!

So do you have any specifics in mind or just any original 4 inches would do?
Old 19th July 2012, 14:33   #36
BHPian

I am made to believe that 4" components are a rare species nowadays. I'm myself stuck with below average 4" Blaupunkt normal speakers which I got for some 1.4k odd. If there are 4" components southwards of 4k INR, i would be glad to upgrade, and any pointers would be very helpful.
Old 19th July 2012, 15:24   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
If there are 4" components southwards of 4k INR, i would be glad to upgrade, and any pointers would be very helpful.
Yeah there is a certain lack of choice, all i get to hear are JBL and Xplod, dont know which one to go for.

BTW nice job on the hood buddy!!
Old 19th August 2012, 11:52   #38

Re: ICE for a Chevrolet BEAT

Hey guys,
I just bought my first car, Beat TCDI. and I need suggestions to ICE her
I'm not an audiophile, but I expect good sound clarity from the system. I'm not a huge fan of excessive bass either. I would prefer a bass range that's pleasant and not ear-logging.

Apart from that, these are my requisites:

1. Budget is strictly 10-12K, can't afford a not a penny more than that. :(
2. I'm not planning to cut away or compromise audio component slots to fit in bigger components. So, I just want to fit components within the provisions given in the stock car.
3. Sound clarity is more important to me than thump.
4. I need the wiring to be done such that it doesn't void my car's warranty.

So, considering my, rather stringent requirements, what do you guys suggest and where would I get a good job done in Chennai?

Thanks.
Old 3rd November 2012, 16:44   #39

ICE'd my beat tcdi ps model, 8 months back. Installed the following.

1. Alpine HU, model CDE-121E
2. Polk Audio - 4 inch , front
3. JBL - 4 inch, rear.

Total cost: 9500/-

Never wanted to compromise on space. So had to stick to 4 inch speakers as that is the only provision given in the car. Wanted some decent sounding speakers among 4 inch family. Ended up in above configuration. Sound quality from front polk audio's are very good, and a notch better than rear JBLs.
Old 8th November 2012, 08:16   #40

Hello Guys,

I am taking delivery of my Super Red Beat LS soon. I am looking for a decent audio system setup. Budget is strictly Rs.10K. Please suggest options. Prefer Double Din Reciever. Anyone with recent buying experience in Bangalore?

Thanks!!
Old 19th March 2013, 09:09   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I have a Chevy Beat Petrol base model and here is the audio scene of my car right now:
[list=1][*]Pioneer Head Unit (DEH-6390SD)
Hey Sagar, were you able to change the HU? I too have a Beat LT and I thought the HU was integrated to the dashboard and it couldn't be removed?
I will be ICEing soon too.
Setup in mind:

Front component speakers - NO idea. Please feel free to suggest.
Rear coaxial speakers on mdf plank - JBL P963 6x9" - 6-7k
Amp - Kenwood Kac-8405 720 Watts 4 channel - around 7k
Sub-woofer - Infinity reference 8" - around 3k
HU - If I am able to change, I will.

Could anyone suggest front component speakers which, at the very least, would not be completely overshadowed by the rear JBL 6x9s?

Thanks.

Last edited by Skye1592 : 19th March 2013 at 09:11.
Old 19th March 2013, 09:46   #42
BHPian

EDIT: The Kenwood Kac has been discontinued. Did not know that.
Any other good 4 channel amps out there?
Old 19th March 2013, 11:03   #43

Hi Skye1592

I had the base model of the Beat so I had to put in a new HU from the very beginning.

Also i did change the front speakers to Infinity REF-4002CFX and the experience has improved a lot. These are fairly good ones.

Also for the amp I have been using my age-old Sony Xplod 4 channel 500W, and in my set-up it seems to do the job just fine. But if you are going for a new one would like you to suggest for Rockford Fosgate, they are used by my friends and and all of them are pretty happy with it.
Old 19th March 2013, 20:47   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Skye1592

I had the base model of the Beat so I had to put in a new HU from the very beginning.

Also i did change the front speakers to Infinity REF-4002CFX and the experience has improved a lot. These are fairly good ones.

Also for the amp I have been using my age-old Sony Xplod 4 channel 500W, and in my set-up it seems to do the job just fine. But if you are going for a new one would like you to suggest for Rockford Fosgate, they are used by my friends and and all of them are pretty happy with it.
Thanks Sagar!
If the HU can't be removed and replaced, I'll have to make do with the poor EQ settings on the stock one.

I did a a lot of research today, and came across this:
http://www.polkaudio.com/products/db6501
Considering these for front component speakers.

Also, I searched for Rockford Fostage 4 channel amplifiers, and I must say they are well out of my budget. I saw ones for 30-35k.
I am looking at Sony - XM GTX60412 4 channel amp, as of now. Is this adequate?
Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by Skye1592 : 19th March 2013 at 20:48.
Old 20th March 2013, 11:11   #45

Hi Skye1592

The polk components looks more than fine to me, read some reviews and these babies seem to be a good deal.

Its true the rockfords are a little pricey, in that case would like you to check out the the JBL GT-X646 (i little pricier than the sony Xplod XM-GTX60412 which by the way is a good amp, can vouch for it)? Both seems to have fairly good reviews and wont burn a hole in your pocket.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks