Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2010, 14:02   #1
BHPian

Gift for my Scorpio

Hello Friends,

After 5 months of happy driving with my new Scorpio, now I want to present her a surprise gift - ICE. Below is some basic information -

1. Your Car: Scorpio mHawk Sle
2. Your current setup (If any): No
3. Your Budget: 30K
4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? I am the only person to drive my scorpio.
5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Average, nothing special - hindi/marathi songs, classical music, instrumentals, Vocals, Gazals, artists to name - Bryan Adams, Amy Winehouse, Kylie Minogue, Adnaan Sami, Salil Kulkarni, Sandip Khare etc.
Additional Information:
6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? :
boot space - No. Will be happy with Woofer enclosures to fit between middle and last seats.
modify door panels - No. Speakers should fit in existing slots.

My requirements are as below -

1. Play all CD/DVD formats - including data DVD so that I can dump 4 Gigs of songs on a dvd and play with this HU
2. Able to connect and control iPhone for audio/video
3. Bluetooth connectivity for voice calls - better with external mic
4. USB 2.0 connectivity - better to be compatible with 500GB HD
5. Aux-In for other MP3 devices/mobile handsets
4. External display output (plan to add headrest LCD later)
5. Availability and compatibility for additional modules like Satellite Radio - if possible, want to add it now with initial setup
6. Clear sound and good bass (doesnt need to be exceptional quality)
7. Better to be 2-DIN - I dont like and use that empty slot

I hope I am not asking for too much with 30K budget. I dont want spend too much above my limit but can shell out some extra money if justified.
Request you all to suggest products, combinations and installers in/around Thane.

There are'nt many threads for Scorpio ICE with full setup information and also being my requirements a bit different, posting this new message.

Thank you all for your help.
Old 19th July 2010, 23:42   #2
BHPian

about to get 100 views but no response from Gurus...

will wait.
Old 20th July 2010, 10:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Since nobody is responding, i'll give it a try. i am no installer or guru but i have a scorpio!

first of all, do you need a subwoofer?
Old 20th July 2010, 11:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk_2009 View Post
3. Your Budget: 30K
6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? :
boot space - No.

1. Play all CD/DVD formats
2. Able to connect and control iPhone for audio/video
3. Bluetooth connectivity for voice calls - better with external mic
4. USB 2.0 connectivity - better to be compatible with 500GB HD
5. Aux-In for other MP3 devices/mobile handsets
4. External display output (plan to add headrest LCD later)
5. Availability and compatibility for additional modules like Satellite Radio - if possible, want to add it now with initial setup
6. Clear sound and good bass (doesnt need to be exceptional quality)
7. Better to be 2-DIN - I dont like and use that empty slot

I hope I am not asking for too much with 30K budget.
This is a big list for a 30K budget.

Considering that you will have to reserve atleast 8K for the 4 speakers and 5K for damping (the Scorpio's doors and rear hatch door are very resonant).

I'd recommend dropping the Sat radio (XM/Sirrus) option.

Your best option is the Pio 3250 (GTO got the 4250) mated to JBL's GT5 speakers (6" in the front doors and 6x9s in the rear door).
Old 20th July 2010, 14:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

hi amk, i am getting my car upgraded tomorrow, will update you with the results.
Old 21st July 2010, 00:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
This is a big list for a 30K budget.

Considering that you will have to reserve atleast 8K for the 4 speakers and 5K for damping (the Scorpio's doors and rear hatch door are very resonant).

I'd recommend dropping the Sat radio (XM/Sirrus) option.

Your best option is the Pio 3250 (GTO got the 4250) mated to JBL's GT5 speakers (6" in the front doors and 6x9s in the rear door).
Thanks Navin, for your response. Pio 3250 anyway will take 20K+ I think.
I can do with P4190UB as well. I know it is single DIN but is available for around 12K. But not sure about its performance, sound quality and compatibility with other components.

Sat radio and 2-DIN are my secondary preferences. Can live without them for now.

Also, I can increase my budget a bit if required (5K-10K)

iPhone sounds good inside Scorpio but after 5 months listening to it, I think its time to get complete ICE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
hi amk, i am getting my car upgraded tomorrow, will update you with the results.
Thanks Raj, you are upgrading it again?
Would love to know more.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st July 2010 at 00:42.
Old 21st July 2010, 08:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

yes buddy, your budget is 30k & the total cost of my car's ICE (without counting the earlier setups) would be 35-37k, so thats close.

my setup right now consists of a Pio 5050 HU, JBL S644 amp, Vtrek components, Sony co-axials & JBL basstube.

My new setup will be Illusion EL 6.1 comps in the front door, Vtrek comps in the rear door, same JBL amp & Ground Zero 30T sub in sealed enclosure.

Since you cant modify door panels, you probably wont fit comps in the rear door, so go for co-axials in speaker boxes.

is yours a 7 seater or 8 seater?
Old 21st July 2010, 10:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
first of all, do you need a subwoofer?
Yes, I am looking to get seriously good sound from my ICE. I really missed it from my M800 ICE.

Quote:
Since you cant modify door panels, you probably wont fit comps in the rear door, so go for co-axials in speaker boxes.

is yours a 7 seater or 8 seater?
Mine is 7 seater. Rear door doesnt have speaker slots. Instead they provide it now above back door.
Old 21st July 2010, 21:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi amk, you can have a look at my setup.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ml#post1991438

it has-
Front comps : Illusion EL6.1
Rear compos : Vtrek
Sub : GZ 30T is a 1.1 cu. ft. sealed box
Amp : JBL GT5-S644
Wiring: Scosche RCA & Earthquake 6 Guage

even mine is a 7 seater. since rear doors does not have speaker slots, you can have it cut out like mine. but if you dont want the door pads cut, you can place the speakers in boxes in the space between the second row seat & jump seat (i had this in my earlier setup). but i would seriously recommend you the former (get the speakers on the door pads) if you are looking for good sound.
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:15   #10
BHPian

Mine is a 7-Seater. i didnt take the pics of components. i will post it later along with better pics of the HU.

HU - Pioneer AVH-P3200BT - around $374.

It provides all the 7 requirement that you stated + touch screen, video mode, rear camera support, SD card support.

Front components JBL GTO 608C

Rear coax JBL GTO 638

Amp - JBL S644

Sub - JBL GT5-S12

Components + installation = around 21k

Gift for my Scorpio-p1000740.jpg

Note: Before anyone comment about playing video in the front. I dont even dare to give a look at it when i drive and i never play videos when anyone else is driving.
Old 27th July 2010, 00:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi amk, you can have a look at my setup.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ml#post1991438

it has-
Front comps : Illusion EL6.1
Rear compos : Vtrek
Sub : GZ 30T is a 1.1 cu. ft. sealed box
Amp : JBL GT5-S644

even mine is a 7 seater. since rear doors does not have speaker slots, you can have it cut out like mine. but if you dont want the door pads cut, you can place the speakers in boxes in the space between the second row seat & jump seat (i had this in my earlier setup). but i would seriously recommend you the former (get the speakers on the door pads) if you are looking for good sound.
Good one Raj. I hope to get something simillar. But going with standard list and as per Navin's explanation -

Head Unit (JVC KD-DV9406) - 15
Speakers - 16
Amp - 8
Sub - 9
Wiring - 3
Damping - 5
------------------
Total = 56 K + Labour

I have to almost double my budget! If I drop sub/amp combo for now, still I can manage with 40K overall.

None of the available Indian Pio HU's list bluetooth in their feature list. So I checked for next option JVC and eyeing KD-DV9406.

I am curious to know speaker output when place in standard slots above backdoor. Is it comparable to speakers placed in rear doors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Mine is a 7-Seater. i didnt take the pics of components. i will post it later along with better pics of the HU.

It provides all the 7 requirement that you stated + touch screen, video mode, rear camera support, SD card support.

Front components JBL GTO 608C

Rear coax JBL GTO 638

Amp - JBL S644

Sub - JBL GT5-S12

Components + installation = around 21k

Attachment 392515

Note: Before anyone comment about playing video in the front. I dont even dare to give a look at it when i drive and i never play videos when anyone else is driving.
Buddy, you have one wonderful setup there. Can you comment how standard setup without amp/sub would sound? If I go ahead with my plan, I have to live without sub/amp for few months.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good one Raj. I hope to get something simillar. But going with standard list and as per Navin's explanation -

Head Unit (JVC KD-DV9406) - 15
Speakers - 16
Amp - 8
Sub - 9
Wiring - 3
Damping - 5
------------------
Total = 56 K + Labour

I have to almost double my budget! If I drop sub/amp combo for now, still I can manage with 40K overall.

None of the available Indian Pio HU's list bluetooth in their feature list. So I checked for next option JVC and eyeing KD-DV9406.
LOL, its very important you stick to your budget, ICE is very addictive!

Since you do want a bluetooth HU, you have to spend more on it. but IMO, dont drop the amp atleast. good speakers & HU is useless without an amp.

you can try this combo-
HU - 15
front components - 7
rear coaxials - 4
amp - 8
wiring - 3
labour - 2

total - 29k

if you add a sub, then total will increase to 37k. since you can manage with 40k, this should be fine. Do the damping later. by the way, i feel scorpio's cabin is already quite silent, so i have not done damping in my car. Mahindra has already added damping on the scorpio's doors, though nothing like the dynamat sheets but still you do have something!

but with the above setup, you will be happy. you can get some really good products in these prices.

Quote:
I am curious to know speaker output when place in standard slots above backdoor. Is it comparable to speakers placed in rear doors?
of course, speakers on the rear doors are more effective. above the boot door, you will hardly hear them.

see, in the above setup, you will buy a 4 ch amp, 2 ch for the front comps & 2 ch for the sub. so, the rear speakers will be running off the HU. so, if you place them so far behind, it will hardly be heard. but if you dont want to cut rear door panels, a better option is to place these speakers in speaker boxes in the space between the jump seats & middle row seat.

all said & done, if you dont want a sub, its fine but please do go for an amp atleast.
Old 27th July 2010, 17:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Buddy, you have one wonderful setup there. Can you comment how standard setup without amp/sub would sound? If I go ahead with my plan, I have to live without sub/amp for few months.
Thanks! i think its better to add amp in the initial setup. sub can be added later for sure. But dont compromise in HU if you like one.

check the pics here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1999330

Last edited by klassics45 : 27th July 2010 at 17:34.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:35   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post

It doesnt seem tobe available officially in India.
Where to get it? at this price? With B&W? Service Support?
Too many questions... think I am already excited!

Quote:
Hi Raj, since you changed entire wiring - a quick question - any problem with Voice Assist?
Old 28th July 2010, 11:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Raj, since you changed entire wiring - a quick question - any problem with Voice Assist?
Yes, DO NOT touch the front speaker OE wiring. You can change everything except that.

Since, i dint fiddle with the front speaker wiring, my car's VAS is still working.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks