Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 11:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

'ICE Upgrade In My Swift.......Finally - Morel Tempo & Pioneer P80RSII

Hi guys,
Firstly, this isn’t a major install or upgrade but it is a pretty good one for me as I have been planning and cancelling since forever and finally got the time and money to do so. This write up has been long due, a year to be precise and due to various reasons. I am not very good at stories so please forgive me if it is boring. It’s just that I am very happy and excited about my new speaker install so just can’t resist.

I bought my Swift Vxi in December 2005 and immediately decided to get my sun film and audio system done on priority, everything else could wait. I was a total noob with ICE so just went along with what everyone recommended and they recommended JBL since I believe the brand was newly introduced in the car audio market. So I rushed off to the nearest JBL Store and had the following installed. I believe these were all top of the line equipment in the GTO series at least at that time.

Head unit – Pioneer 6950 (chose this mainly for its iPod capabilities)
Front Components – JBL GTO 606Ce
Rear Components – JBL GTO 606Ce
4 Ch Amp – JBL GTO 75.4
Monoblock – JBL GTO 301.1
Sub – 12” Infinity Reference 1200T Bass Tube

My total spend was around 60k and the install was done at the JBL Store itself. For some reason after a week, I didn’t seem to be happy with the sound. Obviously, the tuning was pathetic which I had no idea about at that time or even now for that matter but I was one of those people who thought that a good system was all about how loud it can go. So gains on the amps were set on full and all that jazz. Since I was not happy with the sound, I installed 6X9s also. Yes, I had 6 speakers in my car being driven off a 4 channel amplifier!!! It was just noisy! But still, and for obvious reasons which didn’t occur to me at that time, I was not happy with how the system was sounding. I had an 800 before and it sounded way better with Just two speakers (Pioneer 6x9), two tweeters (Pioneer TS20), one 12” Sub (Pioneer but don’t remember the model number), one 4 channel amp (Blaupunkt GTA 450) and a Pioneer head unit. So what was the problem here?

I then decided to contact the experts on Team BHP and came across our very own B&T. On examining my car, he was shocked to see the number of speakers in a hatchback and the shoddy install by the ‘so called’ professional JBL Store. He immediately advised a re-install and cutting down the number of speakers. So the front components and 6X9s stayed. The components at the rear were removed. It sounded much better.

Years passed and the ICE bug was nibbling into me. Troubled a lot of fellow BHPians for advice and finally contacted B&T again and decided to upgrade my speakers. We were looking at Illusion Carbon Components, Illusion Electra Coaxials & a Ground Zero Sub. However, the want of such equipment led to the possibility of changing my amplifiers which I did not want as it was blowing my budget out of proportion. I had to cancel the entire plan and thought of saving up and then going in for the kill. All this happened a year ago. During that time I was still planning a high end system with an Alpine 9887, Audison amps, Hertz Hi-Energy speakers & ID sub. But then realized that I would not be keeping my car for more than 3 years more so I might as well spent on ICE on the new car.

Another year passed and I just told myself that enough is enough. Change only your speakers, keep all other equipment, fix a budget & stick to the plan. So again troubled a couple of fellow BHPians in the past one month, and contacted B&T again. For the equipment I had, I was keen on the Illusion Electra Components & Illusion Electra Coaxials but B&T suggested the Morel Dotech Ovations. This was going over my budget so after a lot of discussions we settled for the Morel Tempo 6 Components and Morel Maximo Coaxials. So finally, after a year of contemplaiting, fixed up a meeting with B&T and got the install done yesterday. Was not sure what to expect after the change but am I glad to hear what I am hearing now. The difference is so much that it can’t be compared to the previous speakers. Tracks are so much more detailed and cleaner. The Morels not only sound awesome, they look great too. I actually hate my previous JBL Components now. This investment is totally worth it, install was great & tuning just super!! I am very happy with this decision.

So this is what I have now:

Head unit – Pioneer 6950
Front Components – Morel Tempo 6
Rear Components – Morel Maximo 6”
4 Ch Amp – JBL GTO 75.4
Sub – 12” Infinity Reference 1200T in a sealed box
Damping 04 doors & boot - Noise Kill

Hope it was an interesting read. Here are some pics. Apologies for the poor quality as they were taken through my mobile phone.

Just want to take this opportunity to thank all the BHPians I’ve troubled in this last one year. So thank you B&T, abhinav.gupta88, hydrashok, panky12345, navin, Mi10 and of course a special thanks to prince85 for the special tips.
Attached Thumbnails
'ICE Upgrade In My Swift.......Finally - Morel Tempo & Pioneer P80RSII-damped-doors.jpg  

'ICE Upgrade In My Swift.......Finally - Morel Tempo & Pioneer P80RSII-img00432201008121252.jpg  

'ICE Upgrade In My Swift.......Finally - Morel Tempo & Pioneer P80RSII-morel-tempo-6-components.jpg  

'ICE Upgrade In My Swift.......Finally - Morel Tempo & Pioneer P80RSII-morel-maximo-coaxials.jpg  

Last edited by Epic : 13th August 2010 at 11:26.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:03   #2
BHPian

Hi Epic,
I guess the ICE bug has bit you too , Nice install by the way and glad that you are enjoying your music now. How much did Morel Components cost you?

Cheers!
-Z
Old 13th August 2010, 12:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey Congarts dude.
Thats a nice upgrade from JBL's to Morel. I think they ll sound even better after thier brekin period.

Enjoy your setup and all the best for your future plans
Old 13th August 2010, 14:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie69 View Post
Hi Epic,
I guess the ICE bug has bit you too , Nice install by the way and glad that you are enjoying your music now. How much did Morel Components cost you?

Cheers!
-Z
Thanks alot, it had bitten way harder but I somehow managed to control myself. Pheeewwww..!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Hey Congarts dude.
Thats a nice upgrade from JBL's to Morel. I think they ll sound even better after thier brekin period.

Enjoy your setup and all the best for your future plans
Oh there is a break-in period for speakers too? How long will that take? Future plans are only in the new car after three years but then that is what all we BHPians say!

Will keep you guys posted on the same. The entire install including speakers, damping and installation came upto 24k before discounts.
Old 16th August 2010, 18:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Thanks alot, it had bitten way harder but I somehow managed to control myself. Pheeewwww..!!!!!

Oh there is a break-in period for speakers too? How long will that take? Future plans are only in the new car after three years but then that is what all we BHPians say!

Will keep you guys posted on the same. The entire install including speakers, damping and installation came upto 24k before discounts.
Congrats on getting the morel's. It is one of the finest speakers available for the price. Just that the doors to be well sealed and deaden to get the good midbass out of them. Every morel driver need atleast about 50-60hrs of break in time. Avoiding this will lead mechanical noise in the long run. I have had experience with Dotech and Hybrid and they sounded much better after a month of playing 3 hours everyday.
Old 17th August 2010, 14:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Major Alternator Whine - Please Help!!!

Ok guys,

I have gone through other posts with regards to alternator whine but I am still posting my experience here coz it is driving me nuts.

Alternator whine was always there even before the install but was not very audible and that is probably bcoz of my half dead JBL components which were hardly giving me vocals & mid bass. Alternator whine was evidently audible from the rear 6X9s though. After the install, the whine was much more audible but only when the volume was very low/off bcoz of the much more sensitive components I guess.

Now, I happened to go out of town and during the drive drove into a bump pretty hard. Soon after this the alternator whine increased and could also hear the sound of the engine through my speakers. More over, I could hear a loud whine coming through my tweeters while using the windsheild washer. We suspect the Pioneer HU which are known for these issues especially when the Pico Fuse is blown. What do you guys think?

This alternator whine issue has really put me off that I dont even feel like switching on my system bcoz of this noise.

Please help guys!
Old 17th August 2010, 15:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

First, congrats on your upgrade. I still have all those PMs

As regards your whine, did you try the famous Pio HU RCA grounding technique?
Old 17th August 2010, 16:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
First, congrats on your upgrade. I still have all those PMs

As regards your whine, did you try the famous Pio HU RCA grounding technique?
Hey Panky,

Hehehehe..... Ya those PMs.....

We did try the famous RCA grounding technique and the whine was at it minimum. But after hitting that bump on my road trip, thing have gone from bad to worse and hence really frustrated!
Old 17th August 2010, 16:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

do these:

1. check for the HU grounding again,

2. lower the gain on the amp,

3. route power and sound cables seperately,

4. try different grounding position of the amp,

5. change (upgrade RCAs).
Old 17th August 2010, 16:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
do these:

1. check for the HU grounding again,

2. lower the gain on the amp,

3. route power and sound cables seperately,

4. try different grounding position of the amp,

5. change (upgrade RCAs).
All the above are done. But the major noise started only after hitting a bump while driving out of town. why only after that?

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th August 2010 at 15:12. Reason: r = are. Please avoid SMS language. Thanks.
Old 17th August 2010, 18:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the above r done. But the major noise started only after hitting a bump while driving out of town. why only after that?
Why dont to hit the same bump while coming into town.

Every action has a equal and opp reaction, right
Old 18th August 2010, 10:25   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All the above r done. But the major noise started only after hitting a bump while driving out of town. why only after that?
Some wire got shook loose.
Old 18th August 2010, 12:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Why dont to hit the same bump while coming into town.

Every action has a equal and opp reaction, right
Well I tried that while coming back into town, but since it was on the opposite side of the road which would require to jump the divider, it would be too much trouble, damage and risks, no??

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Some wire got shook loose.
Well I did open up the dashboard panel myself last night and fidgeted with the RCAs behind the HU and the major whine and engine sound has gone. Even the whine from using the windsheild washer has gone. But there is still a very low alternator whine still audible but I am happy so far. I will still however change the HU next month for sure.
Old 9th September 2010, 23:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Update - Head Unit Upgraded!!!

Hey guys,

After a good number of posts on various threads and numerous PMs fellow members I finally took the plunge and finally upgraded my head unit. Yes, I do refer to this as taking a plunge mainly because of the cost involved in purchasing such equipment. As I had mentioned before, I had been thinking about upgrading to a high end system for a long time now but it never seemed to be the right time or my budget was always blown out of proportion. My previous head unit was the Pioneer 6950IB and it served me for a good 5 years and I was in love with it mainly for its full speed direct iPod control. It had 3 RCA outs with 4V each and sounded good. I had in a way gotten used to it. My speaker upgrade changed everything with the amazing clarity and I was very happy with the purchase. I thought that would be the end of my ICE upgrade and that I would be satisfied. But no, something inside me (probably Team-BHP) kept telling me that more can be achieved. I didn’t want to change my amps and it was no point changing my sub if I didn’t plan on changing my amps so the only way to improve sound quality was to change the head unit. Besides, I kept getting irritating alternator whine, hissing and other sounds which existed even after using good wires and RCAs. The culprit was diagnosed to be the pico fuse of the head unit. Now, I was in two minds here too as I was either looking to go in for a high end head unit or just a similar head unit to replace my 6950IB but didn’t know whether it would be worth investing in a high end head unit for the equipment I am running. Many said to go for it & many others said that it would not be worth it as the rest of my equipment; especially my amps would not compliment it. My high end options were the Alpine 9887 for 20k or the Pioneer P80RSII for 22k and the regular replacement was the Pioneer 7250SD for 8k. Huge difference in cost so my mind was telling me to go in for the regular head unit keeping in mind the budget, but my heart was telling me to go all the way once and for all!! My main requirement was direct iPod control which only the 9887 & 7250SD had. The P80RSII required a separate iPod adapter. But then was told that the P80RSII was better than the 9887 in terms of sound quality and tuning capabilities.

So after troubling a lot of BHPians especially B&T, I finally took the plunge and ordered the Pioneer P80RSII and had the same installed today and man all I can say is WOW!!!!! My system is a whole different ball game all together and I am just totally in love with my music system as I am hearing sounds from tracks that I have been listening to for ages and never knew such sounds/notes/tunes existed in these tracks!!! The result is just outstanding. But, I must give credit to the installer and tuner as B&T did a wonderful job in not only arranging the equipment but taking time out of his busy schedule in doing a neat install and brilliant tuning. I am totally blown away by the clarity which is now more soothing to the ears and can be listened to for hours on end. The Pioneer P80RSII looks great and sounds even better. All in all a superb investment and I can confidently say that it was totally worth it!!

So this is what I have now:

Head unit – Pioneer DEH-P80RSII
Front Components – Morel Tempo 6
Rear Components – Morel Maximo 6”
4 Ch Amp – JBL GTO 75.4
Sub – 12” Infinity Reference 1200T in a sealed box
Damping 04 doors & boot - Noise Kill

Note:

1. All my issues with alternator whine, hissing and other irritating sounds which I have been complaining about have totally vanished after installing the P80RSII which confirms that the 6950IB was the culprit
2. If I am in awe while listening to music on the JBL amps, imagine what will happen if I change them to a more sound quality oriented amp? ;-)
3. Awaiting arrival of the Pioneer CD-IB100II iPod adapter.

Pics below
Attached Thumbnails
'ICE Upgrade In My Swift.......Finally - Morel Tempo & Pioneer P80RSII-p80rsii-box.jpg  

'ICE Upgrade In My Swift.......Finally - Morel Tempo & Pioneer P80RSII-pioneer-dehp80rsii.jpg  

'ICE Upgrade In My Swift.......Finally - Morel Tempo & Pioneer P80RSII-pioneer-dehp80rsii-motorized-face-plate.jpg  

Last edited by Epic : 10th September 2010 at 00:07.
Old 12th September 2010, 20:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Mods - Kindly change the title of my thread to 'ICE Upgrade In My Swift.......Finally - Morel Tempo & Pioneer P80RSII

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks