Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will you pay extra for a professional ICE install?
Will pay upto 10% - for a pro install 71 66.98%
Will pay upto 20% - for a pro install with fiberglassing, lots of mods 31 29.25%
Will DIY - you prefer to Do-It-Yourself, save the money 7 6.60%
Wont pay extra - wont pay a paisa over the cost of the equipment 5 4.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2006, 22:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

I voted for 10%.......
Old 30th August 2006, 13:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

20% was my vote (Hoping it would be one of the gurus out here)

i would pay that extra amount if i know that the install is going to be a good one , where i will get the best out of the money invested & there will be no screws dangling & door pads coming off & that i wont have to open the interiors ever. saves a lot of time & money that way. but how do i know who will do this ? not every chic shop has a good installer & not every roadside shop can be discounted. how do we know a professional from a wannabe ? i suppose we could have a thread where the audio gurus/wannabees could put up the names & contacts for all such people in various parts of the country. that could be useful. consumers will always get lured by the sweet talk & tech talk that the ICE guys in showrooms do (themselves hardly understand what they speak).
Old 30th August 2006, 14:45   #33
BHPian

How can you put a percentage on it?? depends on the complexity of the equipment/install....... An installation to me could consist of many things:

Regular installers could do a combination of the following as part of an installation:
1. Installing a Head unit
2. Installing an amplifier
3. Tuning an amplifier ( 99.9999% havnt the faintest clue )
4. Installing a Sub
5. Designing a Sub enclosure
6. Gettign the electricals/Wiring done correctly
7 .Damping ( 99.99% havnt heard of damping )
8.Installing components speakers on the front doors ( You msut be kidding !!!!)

Each of these require totally different skill levels..So putting a percentage on the installation cost seems senseless to me.
The only lacuna in the sytem would be knowing if the installer actaully did a good job or not??? that would be a toughie... as the only way would be to see different installations.... and learning your lessons the hard way...... or having a team bhpian..doing all the installations..

Last edited by sk456 : 30th August 2006 at 14:57.
Old 30th August 2006, 15:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456
How can you put a percentage on it?? depends on the complexity of the equipment/install....... An installation to me could consist of many things:
Each of these require totally different skill levels..So putting a percentage on the installation cost seems senseless to me.
SK, the poll question was assuming you ARE getting it done from a professional. Since an installer cant really charge different charges on different segment products. For example an installer might install a Rs 6000 HU for Rs 300 but wont really like to install a Rs 50000 DVD HU for Rs 300. Hence the percentage system. the DVD HU install is more elaborate since it will incorporate screens, video cabling, possible reverse camera etc. so at say 5% the 2500 he will charge is justified for his effort. specially since in most cases the DVD HU is a grey market product or directly imported by the end user and the installer is making no money there.

I think the percentage system works. But your opinion is important and thats what this poll thread is about. So thanks.
Old 30th August 2006, 15:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
SK, the poll question was assuming you ARE getting it done from a professional. Since an installer cant really charge different charges on different segment products. For example an installer might install a Rs 6000 HU for Rs 300 but wont really like to install a Rs 50000 DVD HU for Rs 300. Hence the percentage system. the DVD HU install is more elaborate since it will incorporate screens, video cabling, possible reverse camera etc. so at say 5% the 2500 he will charge is justified for his effort. specially since in most cases the DVD HU is a grey market product or directly imported by the end user and the installer is making no money there.

I think the percentage system works. But your opinion is important and thats what this poll thread is about. So thanks.
well again the DVD HU installation would be requiring a different "Skill level" wouldnt it?? so thats my point exactly...
Moreover,the consumer cannot judge the percentage to be charged as he would not necessarily know if there were any extra skill levels involved....but on the whole I think putting a pecentage would be difficult...and the Indian mentality barrier has also to be crossed of paying "installtion charges"...
Old 30th August 2006, 15:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well again the DVD HU installation would be requiring a different "Skill level" wouldnt it?? so thats my point exactly...
Moreover,the consumer cannot judge the percentage to be charged as he would not necessarily know if there were any extra skill levels involved....but on the whole I think putting a pecentage would be difficult...and the Indian mentality barrier has also to be crossed of paying "installtion charges"...
see, it depends what you want installed & by whom. if one is cost conscious, then one might have to compromise on the quality of installation. for me, every time the HU is pulled out (With dirty hands), and all the wires untaped & cut & retaped & then the HU put inside....these things give me the creeps. rather i would like to get it done by someone who does all this with minimum fuss & damage to my property. i have been the quality compromising type earlier on, but through bad experiences, have learnt that it is better to spend upfront rather than waste my time & get the creeps.

the big question is : how do we identify who the good installer is ??

Last edited by esteem_lover : 30th August 2006 at 15:44.
Old 30th August 2006, 15:47   #37
BHPian

I think it all boils down to the total final cost of the equipment ....which could include the installation cost as a flat fee or as a percentage... the owner has to decide if it is affordable or not..simple...
Old 30th August 2006, 15:47   #38
BHPian

My take is that if I'm buying speakers or HU from an installer and going for a basic install the cost of install should be free...However in case of a mod or a complex install there is no reason not to pay the installer some charges for his professional expertise.

In case of procuring speakers and HU on my own the question of not paying a paisa more doesn't arise.I'm sure professional installers would have a fee in mind looking at the type of install requested.

I selected the 10% option keeping the above factors in mind.
Old 30th August 2006, 16:48   #39
Team-BHP Support

Based on service experience, I think the percentage thing is flawd. It should be based on a per hour basis. For example premuim car makers charge 1000rs/hour. Every job has fixed time in the book given to dealerships.
So it can be like "So and so brand HU fitting 1.5 hours... 1500rs"

So if an installer is not really a highly skilled pro, the rates can be 200/hour.
for an "expert" he can charge 1000/hr

but that would require lot of honesty from the installers side so as not to overstate the time.

I am totally against the % system Two different HUs which play mp3s but have 50% price difference do not imply that the installers work is more complex. A more expensive HU may even be easier to install due to plug and play capability.

So it should be more on the "job done" basis. Quality and Quantity, not on the basis of price of the install.
Old 30th August 2006, 17:37   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Based on service experience, I think the percentage thing is flawd. It should be based on a per hour basis. For example premuim car makers charge 1000rs/hour. Every job has fixed time in the book given to dealerships.
So it can be like "So and so brand HU fitting 1.5 hours... 1500rs"

So if an installer is not really a highly skilled pro, the rates can be 200/hour.
for an "expert" he can charge 1000/hr

but that would require lot of honesty from the installers side so as not to overstate the time.

I am totally against the % system Two different HUs which play mp3s but have 50% price difference do not imply that the installers work is more complex. A more expensive HU may even be easier to install due to plug and play capability.

So it should be more on the "job done" basis. Quality and Quantity, not on the basis of price of the install.
I agreee ....a per hour basis certainly makes it more rational than a percentage basis......
Old 30th August 2006, 18:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agreee ....a per hour basis certainly makes it more rational than a percentage basis......
nope, i do not agree with you guys here. see, an expensive unit requires more care in installing, whereas a run of mill stuff could be installed by anybody...and i do not think that there is anything like plug & play in HUs. In all the HUs, that i have seen installed, the connectors are clipped & the wires are taped, right guys ???

and there is a premium on good installers too. you cant pay a good installer, what you generally pay to a novice, who messes up your car.
Old 30th August 2006, 19:58   #42
Team-BHP Support

But I have seen two systems having same installation complexity even though one costs twice the other due to difference in power output and features.
In most of automobile service centers, labour(even specialized) charges are based on time.
In case mercedes etc., which we can compare to professional installers the per hour cost is more.
Old 30th August 2006, 20:06   #43
BHPian

Voted for 10%...as i would love to get a pro install done in my car...cause out here...you buy audio products from a place...and the instln comes free...but can never call it a PRO install.....wel found a worker out here in one of the shops..who`s great at tunin amps..he`s not qualified or anythin...but he`s really great and has got great experience...so been goin to him since...aft gettin done the installation,,...
Old 30th August 2006, 21:54   #44
BHPian

20 % for sure, but I cant understand how fiberglassing and lots of mods come into 20 %, as in not any two setups are the same and Fiberglassing at times can go as high as 50 to 70 % of the Equipment cost.
Cheers
Old 30th August 2006, 21:57   #45
BHPian

Voted for 20% because if someone can mod include my speakers in panels that look factory fitted I dont mind.. also I rather pay 20% to a pro installer who knows SQ from SPL than not pay and have it installed from a road side clown who doesnt know the diff between a positive and a negative terminal

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks