Old 3rd November 2010, 10:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvi_seln View Post
Boston was rocking
Well, actually the JL's were Rocking and the Boston's...Shocking
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:20   #17
BHPian

Actually the Boston is not being used to its full capacity... lets c how it sounds after the final tune up
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Good things come to those who wait

Congrats on the install, Pritish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvi_seln View Post
Actually the Boston is not being used to its full capacity... lets c how it sounds after the final tune up
I've tried three G5s until now. Pr007's will be the 4th and Pho3nix's will be the 5th. And from my experiments, I can tell that the G5s take a while to break-in.
So, give the driver some time (about a fornight or a month depending on usage) and it will ROCK!
Old 3rd November 2010, 16:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

After having heard the G5 sub in Nitrous' car, what I heard last night was indeed a shocker. The installer says they will take a while to break in as mentioned above. I plan to audition again in a month after the G5 and the JLs have broken in and the ICE retuned.

There is also a very clear difference in the sound signature between the Kenwood-HK-JL setup in Pr_007's car and the Kenwood-Focal-JL setup that I have in mine.

The installation looked top notch. When are we getting the pics?
Old 3rd November 2010, 16:19   #20
BHPian

Can you tell me the area of damping to be used for front doors and boot and the cost?
I want to damp my Fiesta the same way but have no idea how much I would require and where all (in the front doors) should the damping be applied.
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Why does the G5 take this unusual time of a month to break-in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
There is also a very clear difference in the sound signature between the Kenwood-HK-JL setup in Pr_007's car and the Kenwood-Focal-JL setup that I have in mine.
The sound signature difference in the sense?

And, which one is good?
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Why does the G5 take this unusual time of a month to break-in?
Break in period is usually mentioned in hours - Must be roughly ~40-50 hours for most Sub drivers (sometimes manufactuers do recommend exact hours, somecase it is assumed).

Nothing unusual here. One month is just a rough calculation, assuming Mr. 007 will play his set up atleast 2 hours a day. If he wishes, he can reduce the break-in period to a couple of days too. :-)

Last edited by Mi10 : 3rd November 2010 at 18:45.
Old 3rd November 2010, 19:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Probably I read too much into Gilead's quote about the break-in period when I read it as a month!

Should the ICE be retuned after break-in?

I never did all these when I got my first ever ICE install back in 2006!
Old 4th November 2010, 07:04   #24
BHPian

Hi, Guys I had my setup re-tuned yesterday and my god the difference is very prominent.

The Boston's have started doing their Job and the JL's are literally breaking my front doors.

The setup is awesome and clean at any volumes. The voice is crystal clear and the SQ is just mindblowing.

You guys should have auditioned the setup after the second session of re-tuning.

Guys let me tell you the setup was nothing what you heard on Tuesday night, it is 200% opposite to what you heard on that night.

Kenwood-HK-JL's combination are taking up a new Curve and an interesting curve indeed.

Rihanna's "unfaithful" song was played and the voice clarity was shocking and the low's were shaking the car.

A truly great job by Saravana from POWER ZONE.

Nitrous, Thank you very much for the help you did with the Boston G5. I really owe you one. Please try to hear my setup in any one of the meets and I need your valuable comments/suggestions.

Now Guys Some pics of the install.....

Attached Thumbnails
Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-1.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-2.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-4.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-7.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-9.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-10.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-13.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-14.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-15.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-16.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-17.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-19.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-20.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-21.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-22.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-23.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-11.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-untitled1.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Pr_007 : 4th November 2010 at 07:17.
Old 4th November 2010, 13:11   #25
BHPian

How much did you spend on damping the front doors? Which brand is that Black and blue one? Where did you get it from?
By the way, the car's door pads need cleaning I suppose. Never mind, the ICE makes up for it, hehe!
Old 4th November 2010, 14:08   #26
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic setup! :

The damping material does not seem to be stuck properly to the inner metal layer of the door? Seems to be spread like a tarp instead of being pressed to the surface. The damping will not be effective this way.
Old 4th November 2010, 14:12   #27
BHPian

Can someone tell me what this break in period is about? Is it only for the sub or for other equipment as well?
Old 5th November 2010, 10:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Fantastic setup! :

The damping material does not seem to be stuck properly to the inner metal layer of the door? Seems to be spread like a tarp instead of being pressed to the surface. The damping will not be effective this way.
Hi..thanks for the comments and the damping material is really thick so it just looks like it has not been stuck well in the photo.

But in reality it was well stuck and rolled properly with a damping roller. So, absolutely no issues on that.

The sound output is really great from the midbasses.
Old 10th August 2011, 21:39   #29
BHPian

Re: Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey

Hi Guys!!!!

This thread has been untouched and in hibernation for quiet a long time…. but I think it is now time to wake this thread up…

It has really been a long long journey researching, studying, selecting, finalizing, and purchasing the ICE items…

The suggestions given, options available, ICE components needed but not easily available really takes a toll on your day-to-day activities. Things have gone a little weird in my family, missed a promotion at office and sacrificed a lot to save the money for this madness…

Finally guys, it is done, it is installed and is playing in my car and it sounds superb.

Presenting below a few details on the Journey I went through the last 8 months to achieve this Nirvana…

Selecting the tweeters:

After hearing to Mi10 ’s setup I had a faint idea to take the active route, but after hearing to Saravana’s active setup I decided it is fully active.

I had decided to source separate drivers and was looking for tweeters, I liked the Morel tweeters after listening them in Mi10 ’s car and really loved the detailed yet natural response from them.

The same time saw an ad in Team-bhp classifieds that a guy is selling his Morel Supremo tweeters, as per our ICE guru’s suggestion purchased them immediately.

Selecting the Mid-bass:

Selecting this driver turned out to be the most problematic and mind-boggling task in my entire ICE journey….since I had already purchased the tweeter I needed a mid-bass driver that has the same natural response and I needed a driver that can give me a chest-thumping midbass.

Went through a lot of options Morel, Hybrid Audio, Hertz Mille, Lanzar Opti-drive, even thought of using the mid-basses from my previous JL XR-650 component set.

Then was speaking to Gunbir about drivers and he suggested the Rainbow Profi-kick bass drivers, saw some reviews on few forums and they really had excellent reviews and feedback.

So purchased them immediately…

The Subwoofer:
I did not look around a lot for this, after listening to Mi10’s setup I wanted a Morel subwoofer, but I knew I would not be able to afford an Ultimo and/or the amp to power it up. So decided upon the Ultimo SC

Then came another problem like the price rise….but @Muneem from Cochin was kind enough to give the Ultimo SC for the older price, so purchased the Subwoofer.

The amplifiers…

Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 was purchased to power the Subwoofer and the Gladen 120.4 to power the Mid-bass and the tweeters.
Old 10th August 2011, 21:59   #30
BHPian

Re: Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey

Please find the pictures of the installs below...

2 bulk packs of Stinger Roadkill were used to damp the roof, the entire boot and the front doors completely..

Two FG semi-spherical pods were made for the 4" big tweeters.

Got the 2-gauge dual amp wiring kit from Connection Audison which comes with a 1.3 farad capacitor.

Purchased a distribution block with one 0 gauge in and one 2 gauge and two 4 gauge out.

Purchased a ground distribution block with three 4 gauge in and one 0 gauge out.

4 channel RCA from Connection Audison and 2-channel RCA from Gladen were used.

The 4-channel RCA's were used for the tweeters and the mid-bass drivers and the Gladen 2-channel was used for the Subwoofer...

Now, for the install pictures....
Attached Thumbnails
Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_1-800x600.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_2-800x600.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_5-800x600.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_6-800x600.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_3-800x600.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_8-800x600.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_9-800x600.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_11-800x600.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_12-800x600.jpg  

Livin La Vida Loca en mi Fiesta!- A Musical Odyssey-img_14-800x600.jpg