Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2010, 23:38   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: The journey for ICE: From budget of 1K to 40K

Blackfire.

I can understand that you are upset with Driven/Rana for whatever your experiences were at Driven.

However

a. There have been many who have posted good experiences as well
b. You are at liberty to patronise another installer (that's what I would do)
c. The above post does not add too much value to your thread as it does not discuss the install. All you are doing is relating your conversation with Mr. Rana.

I would much prefer to see install pics. They are so much fun and so inspiring for other members.

I remember way back in 1988 when I installed a 3 way component set in the front and rear doors of my Contessa 1.8. People were surprised. Then they would open the trunk and see it all consumed in a maze of wood (I had somehow managed to build a Transmission lins subwoofer into the trunk). I dont know any who dared to copy but I hope those who saw it were inspired to try something similar. This is what I expect installs on this section to do.

You guys can leverage the internet, I did not have that opportunity. So lets get back to you install na?
Old 30th December 2010, 00:03   #32
BHPian

Prakhar, the last we discussed, you were planning a complete DIY damping of the front doors. How's that plan shaping up? Lemme know if you would need any help. It's been more than 15 months I damped my Alto and it's still rattle-free (even with the R6A )

Good luck bro!
Old 31st December 2010, 12:57   #33
dcs
BHPian

Dear Prakhar,

Finally I could pull some time out to go through the entire thread of yours only to know that despite spending some great amount on ICE, you dint come back with a sense of Contentment.

As a preacher, I can suggest you thousand and one things but that wont make much of a difference to the damage that has already been done.

Now, what we can do is, let's try to buff up the edges. You have been talking about the damping the doors, let's do it this January.

Also, a small input from my side to you and to all my mates who are also Finicky (I top that list mates- Just in case if you are feeling offended!)-

The easier ways to have peace in abundance are:
1. Dont make any changes/ innovations- Most of them wont work!
2. If you know the job better then the person who is working- Kick is @$$ off and start working yourself.
3. Ignorance is Bliss
4. Trying using the services of people who you can count upon.

Ok, that was just to pep you up.

I am looking forward to hearing the system in real. Its been ages since I heard anything that is not a straight factory option.

Also, lastly, if you think that the set up ( even if it has costed you some 15-20% extra, along with the discomforts) is sounding good, or can be fine tuned to sound good- Just chill and enjoy it. You can enjoy the things more if you leave aside the sour feelings.

All cheers

dcs
Old 31st December 2010, 18:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Prakhar,i just finished up reading the whole thread.
it has been quite an ordeal.
and well nothing to say about the ICE bug.
I just upgraded yesterday to Rainbow titan's from Bull Audio Compos.
Whats next in the pipeline for your car?
Old 2nd January 2011, 20:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
Prakhar, the last we discussed, you were planning a complete DIY damping of the front doors. How's that plan shaping up? Lemme know if you would need any help. It's been more than 15 months I damped my Alto and it's still rattle-free (even with the R6A )

Good luck bro!
Hey sukhjot,

Good to hear from you on my thread (finally!)

Well, yes, the DIY damping is still in the pipeline & I a just waiting for a good friend of mine to get free from work so that we can do it on one of the coming weekends. I think we would do it in another week or so. Will keep you posted on it.

I will surely let you know if I need any sort of help & thanks for all the help & time you have given till now. Thanks.

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs View Post
Dear Prakhar,
Finally I could pull some time out to go through the entire thread of yours only to know that despite spending some great amount on ICE, you dint come back with a sense of Contentment.
You can enjoy the things more if you leave aside the sour feelings.
All cheers
dcs
Hey rohit,

Glad to have you posting on TBhp after a long time.

And as you have said, let's do the damping this January. And like I said, I am planning to do it a rather different way. I have come across a few products which are paint-like & can be sprayed or brushed onto the metal sheets to make it sound proof. Let me check it's availability with one of my paint guys.

And let's also take care of your front door panels insulation. We can use a pearlpet bowl in your case like I once did in a friend's Santro in Chandigarh (remember, I told you).

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Prakhar,i just finished up reading the whole thread.
it has been quite an ordeal.
and well nothing to say about the ICE bug.
I just upgraded yesterday to Rainbow titan's from Bull Audio Compos.
Whats next in the pipeline for your car?
Hey akshay,

It was indeed an ordeal, however, the bright side is that I am a little more endowed with ICE knowledge now, especially about wires.
Like rohit has said above, it's best to forget such bad experiences & remember the learnings from it. In my case & in a fellow Bhpian "camchennai's" words, Driven not to be driven .

Well, I haven't really heard the Rainbows yet but I am sure they are a worthy upgrade. However, did you consider the SLX as well (the one with PP cone)?

Lastly, akshay, is it possible for you to put up the specs of your box along with a picture here?

Drive safe.

Last edited by Amartya : 3rd January 2011 at 09:02. Reason: Kindly avoid quoting large posts in their entirety. Thanks.
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:49   #36
BANNED

My ICE keeda was budgeted at 15K when i bought the car and when the actual install took place it crossed 75K :(
Old 3rd March 2011, 00:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
My ICE keeda was budgeted at 15K when i bought the car and when the actual install took place it crossed 75K :(
Haha! I too started my journey by saying, "Oh ! not more than 8K for the HU and 5 K for speakers" and here I am with a ~18K HU and 8K worth of front components and yes there is stuff that still needs to be considered (amp and a sub) !

<Sigh!> Ignorance was bliss ! No more can you close your eyes or (rather) shut your ears to good audio especially once you've heard it....!

Last edited by better4worse : 3rd March 2011 at 00:23.
Old 2nd April 2011, 13:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

It seems one never stops feeding the "keeda", though the size of the diet can increase or decrease at different feeding times

Without any intention of creating a suspense or a long post, I want to share with fellow bhpians about my desire to install a new HU. And I would need all the advise & help that you guys can offer, so chip in with your suggestions.

My budget is about 10K & primary requirements are :

1. Compatibility with CD, USB, MP3 players (I have a creative Zen), & SD card (optional, since most companies are not offering it).

2. 3 RCA pre-outs with high voltage (I guess it's around 4V to 5V these days).

3. As per my knowledge, I can get decent HUs from Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony or JVC in this price range. Alpine & Clarion are too expensive for the same features & I am not too keen on shelling out the price difference for similar features.

My music tastes are such that I don't like too much stress on vocals or mid-range. As for high frequencies, I like it but only to the extent it does not sound like a tin sheet.
Whenever I use the equalizer (graphic), be it in my laptop or home audio system or anywhere else, I generally keep the extremes (bass & treble) a little higher, so that the equalizer looks like a bowl with the middle frequencies a little lower.

I am willing to spend a little more say about upto 12K if something reasonably better is available in that range.

Lastly, some HUs that I shortlisted but I don't have any idea about their prices (please post if you know). Have a look at these models & suggest how they fare :

1. JVC KD-R826BT
2. Kenwood KDC-X7016
3. Pioneer DEH-6390SD/Pioneer DEH-8350SD (couldn't understand the difference in these two apart from the looks)

Is there any model from Sony which satisfies my requirements or is similar in features to either of the above? Also, any rough estimate on the prices of the above listed HUs? Finally, what is the difference between the two Pioneer HUs listed?

Looking forward to seeing some valuable inputs from experts & users alike.

Regards.
Old 2nd April 2011, 15:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Well most Pioneers are more towards treble and bass and less emphasized on the mid/vocals.
Old 27th April 2011, 19:25   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

How does Sony XAV-W1 double din touchscreen headunit fare? Any reviews on it?

Looking for some urgent responses.
Old 27th April 2011, 20:58   #41
BHPian

Buy Kenwood 7016 from the 3 options .
Old 26th May 2011, 21:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Bought Sony XAV-W1. Would put up the pictures & initial experience in a few days.
Old 28th May 2011, 12:24   #43
BHPian

hey blackfire_9,
just finished readng the whole deal...phew
It was good writeup and trust me i felt like i was right there
Here is what i felt
1. Even though the shop "Driven" must have driven many installs, very few people pay a good attention to detail like you did and they also have the "Chalta hai" attitude on which such shops cash upon, now when you go back right at them pointing a mistake they dont like it as nobody has ever done this to them before, and also with so many new customers arriving daily at the shop they are not even bothered if one sale is missed
2. I dont agree with the mod - navin here, the last thread about a call from unknown number made by Mr Rana made absolute sense to me as this represents the attitude of the person, and let it be TBHP or any other blog portal, they are all governed by basic democracy rule "Freedom to speech", you wrote what you felt and what you experienced, this portal is not only to brag about what you have under the hood but also to speak about what you experienced
3. And it was informative as well because now i know just a good amp or a good wiring kit is not enough, ampere rating needs to match as well, I do have plans of doing ICE on my newly booked swift and once i have enough vitamin M this is one of the threads i will refer to for details
Thanks for the efforts taken for the write-up, it was worth reading
Cheers
shridhar.s.i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 20:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
2. I dont agree with the mod - navin here, the last thread about a call from unknown number made by Mr Rana made absolute sense to me ...
Of course freedom of speech is paramount, but perhaps you should read the comment properly and understand what is being conveyed. Talking about Mr. Rana was detracting from the subject instead of adding value - not in the interest of the thread and its originator.
Old 29th May 2011, 12:47   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Of course freedom of speech is paramount, but perhaps you should read the comment properly and understand what is being conveyed. Talking about Mr. Rana was detracting from the subject instead of adding value - not in the interest of the thread and its originator.
DerAlte i guess you must also understand what i said clearly, navin / you felt it is detracting from the subject, i did NOT feel so, when you purchase something it is not only the product you talk about, you talk about the whole experience
Because product more or less remains the same from wherever you buy, but it is the people you but it from, who make it worth the buy
Imagine you had a bad buying experience and you posted it, after which you get a call from unknown number, this is something worth a concern.
if i were in shoes of blackfire_9 i would have put a case in consumer forum, he is too kind not to have done that
TBHP has helped me and several other BHP'ians make informed decisions and this is also an information worth sharing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks