Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2011, 20:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Volvo launches 9400px - 14.5m coach

I am guessing most of the increase in length is in the wheelbase. Wont that cause clearance problems on our infamous speed breakers and ghat sections?

Also, I wont be surprised if KSRTC, VRL and the rest of the operators buy at least 1-2 PXs just to claim 'bragging' rights.
Old 30th December 2011, 21:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Torque -1770Nm @ 1000 – 1300 rpm

Great to see a new product launched first in India. Any idea the difference between this and B9R ?
Main difference is the steerable tag axle and the increase in overall length.
And apart from this i-shift and 11 litre engine are the rest to quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
.... hope it doesnt end up like a flower in the monkey's hand when in hands of our "highly skilled" "safe" Indian drivers. I am not blaming all the drivers as a whole but most of the heros are ultimately driving volvos with a motto "pedal to metal".
AshLey sir, is the toilet and refreshment amenities offered as standard or optional? I dont see any such details in the link provided nor in volvo india site, hence the question.
But I guess the Luxuria/ Luxury coach will be benefitted by this bus, had volvo introduced them earlier. But still they can replace their 9400XL with PX and charge the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Good addition to the Volvo stable.

Just hope, drivers of various operators use it sensibly.

A 28 hour journey from Bangalore to A'bad has already been initiated; guess Volvo aims to capture the potential of these really long-distance routes by introducing buses with toilets and pantry.

Boy, has Volvo changed the way we travel or what!

wrt i-shift its basically an automated manual transmission and the objective is to deskill the driver at a affordable cost ( as compared to AT). This also makes the drive train more reliable compared to manual ones.

The toilets and pantry are already available as an option in existing Volvo's range in India. But many do not choose that due to known reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanadusatish View Post
Very nice to hear that VOLVO is launching New coach 9400PX. Hope this bus will give more comfort to passengers. Hope to see I Shift buses also at the earlest. Wishing VOLVO in coming days bright future
This coach is likely to available starting from first qtr.

Quote:
I dont think it would be same in the international market but for the "kitna deta hain" janta, they must have detuned the 11 litre monster. Even the Merc,which sports a 12 litre O series engine, internationally has 500+ hp where the same engine in india avatar produces just 355 something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post

Volvo I-Shift is a 12-speed manual gearbox with an automated gearchanging system.

Source :I-Shift - I-Shift : Volvo Buses

And yes,Volvo has taken the lead in redefining intercity road travel .If it wasnt for Volvo ,we would have still been stuck with ALL or TATA truck chassis' and SUTLEJ bus bodies

I just hope Volvo does have safety features like seat belts ,ABS ,additional full size exit door on all models without giving any option for operators .

BTW ,can anyone tell more on how would this new steering system benefit . And how much of a cost difference exists between the current B9R and this model .

Door option is definitively customer's choice.

wrt Intercity FE buses, Indian market will definitely have them and these (Volvo's and Merc's) fancy beasts unlikely to touch their Volume as still they are less than 1/6th (excluding conventional Viking, LPO 1512).

The steering will give the same TCD as in case of 9400 XL for PX.
Cost difference will be at least 20%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I a
m guessing most of the increase in length is in the wheelbase. Wont that cause clearance problems on our infamous speed breakers and ghat sections?

Also, I wont be surprised if KSRTC, VRL and the rest of the operators buy at least 1-2 PXs just to claim 'bragging' rights.
You are right with the larger WB.
But the coach features ECAS(std in all 9400 varaints), using which the coach can be lowered or raised to handle bad roads.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 12:10   #18

Quote:
fantastic! finally volvo heard my wish. The first time I saw the I-Drive in Europe(test vehicle) and the videos of it, I was simply awestruck! finally its nice to see the world launch starting with india which shows the commitment volvo has for the indian market. but I am very vary of this bus, hope it doesnt end up like a flower in the monkey's hand when in hands of our "highly skilled" "safe" Indian drivers. I am not blaming all the drivers as a whole but most of the heros are ultimately driving volvos with a motto "pedal to metal".
AshLey sir, is the toilet and refreshment amenities offered as standard or optional? I dont see any such details in the link provided nor in volvo india site, hence the question.
But I guess the Luxuria/ Luxury coach will be benefitted by this bus, had volvo introduced them earlier. But still they can replace their 9400XL with PX and charge the same.
According to the last confirmed reports, Volvo is giving an option of a lavatory to its customers as its maintenance is a hurdle for the travel operators.
The supporting machinery is expensive and i dont think apart from the likes of VRL, NEETA, Konduskar and Luxuria, they can afford it
runaldahiwade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 18:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by runaldahiwade View Post
According to the last confirmed reports, Volvo is giving an option of a lavatory to its customers as its maintenance is a hurdle for the travel operators.
The supporting machinery is expensive and i dont think apart from the likes of VRL, NEETA, Konduskar and Luxuria, they can afford it
More than the cost of maintenance and equipment, the operators would loose "commission" from en-route hoteliers and toilet facilities.

If there is a wash basin + toilet in the bus, our junta would start carrying food items from home and consume it in-bus. When more and more people follow this, it will translate to less sale for the hotel. The two main reasons for people NOT bringing food in Volvo type buses is the need for a toilet and a facility to wash hands after consuming food.
Old 16th January 2012, 18:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
More than the cost of maintenance and equipment, the operators would loose "commission" from en-route hoteliers and toilet facilities.

If there is a wash basin + toilet in the bus, our junta would start carrying food items from home and consume it in-bus. When more and more people follow this, it will translate to less sale for the hotel. The two main reasons for people NOT bringing food in Volvo type buses is the need for a toilet and a facility to wash hands after consuming food.
Yes Bharath, that is a valid point. I have been a frequent traveler in these buses and people do avoid bringing eatables for the lack of a toilet etc.
It sure will be an uphill task for Volvo to sell this bus.
Old 16th January 2012, 18:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
There are lots of people who already carry food from home in Volvos - despite the lack of any facility to wash ones' hands. I too prefer carrying food from home - for the simple fact that I can eat when the bus is running, and walk around taking photos of my ride when it stops for a break.

While I carry food items that I can eat with a spoon, thus obviating the need for an immediate hand wash, I've seen people carrying elaborate food items - like liquid dishes and rotis! Wonder what they do after eating-- hope they don't wipe on the seats
Old 17th January 2012, 11:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by runaldahiwade View Post
Hey,Volvo is offering toilet facility for years as an option.Many B7R's in delhi has this facility and they are used in tourist application.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 18:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
While I carry food items that I can eat with a spoon, thus obviating the need for an immediate hand wash, I've seen people carrying elaborate food items - like liquid dishes and rotis! Wonder what they do after eating-- hope they don't wipe on the seats
I am talking of those few people who still have something called courtesy left in them. As an Example my parents dont carry an inch of food while travelling by bus for simple reasons like no facility to dispose plastics / papers / banana peels etc and secondly non availability of wash basin and toilet.

If this is provided on a bus i am sure more people would carry food. As far as no toilet /wash basin is provided, I am happy.

In Fact as an OT, I will NOT travel by a particular bus if it has toilet facility. I personally prefer non-toilet buses.
Old 5th September 2012, 11:49   #24
BHPian

And now it hits the Road and as always , with a very admirable RTC in India - KarnatakaSRTC.
Hats off to them .Pride of Karnataka indeed .

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/16259927.cms
Old 5th September 2012, 12:59   #25
BHPian

KSRTC Launches the Volvo 9400PX

Volvo launches 9400px - 14.5m coach-volvo-9400pxexternal-view-2.jpg

Volvo launches 9400px - 14.5m coach-volvo-9400pxinside-view.jpg

Volvo Buses yesterday started trials of its Volvo 9400PX model, India's first multi-axle coach @ 14.5m. The coach will have steerable tag-axles and an automatic transmission.

The trials are underway in Bangalore in association with the Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC).

This model is a global introduction from Volvo, produced in collaboration between the company’s Indian and Swedish engineers. It has been developed keeping Indian roads and passengers in mind. The model was first unveiled at the Delhi Auto Expo 2012.

One of its main features is the steerable tag-axle that allows it to navigate easily through tight road conditions. Another key feature is the I-shift automatic transmission system that will improve its ride comfort and fuel efficiency, while offering braking power of 400-600 kW.

The coach is built on the new light-weight Volvo PX platform, which has improved acceleration, stability and luggage space. It can accommodate facilities like a pantry, toilet and entertainment system for long-distance travel. The coach runs on the new Volvo 11-litre engine with 370 BHP on tap.

The coaches will be manufactured at the Volvo plant in Hoskote near Bangalore.

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2012 at 15:35. Reason: Adding info from the information we have received directly
gurudutt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 20:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: KSRTC Launches the Volvo 9400PX

Here is a small intro video on the 9400 PX - India's longest bus.

Features:

1. Steerable tag-axle

2. I-Shift

3. Middle door access

4. Pantry, Chemical toilet

5. More seats (14.5 m bus)

6. LED DRL's

Nice! Kudos to KaSRTC for another first of its kind Volvo service.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 20:05   #27
BANNED

Re: KSRTC Launches the Volvo 9400PX

Nice initiative and am happy to see that the initial service board says "Bangalore-Mysore".

I plan to try it out this weekend if possible.

Does anyone know the number of seats that have been increased in this compared to the other multi-axle Volvos that KSRTC has?

And yes, how many gears does it have?

MODS: There is another 9400px thread in the same section. Can we merge the two please?

Last edited by n.devdath : 5th September 2012 at 20:07.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 21:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath
Nice initiative and am happy to see that the initial service board says "Bangalore-Mysore".

I plan to try it out this weekend if possible.

Does anyone know the number of seats that have been increased in this compared to the other multi-axle Volvos that KSRTC has?

And yes, how many gears does it have?

MODS: There is another 9400px thread in the same section. Can we merge the two please?
I think it has around 110 seats.
Old 5th September 2012, 22:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
Are you sure? I believed the train coaches (rolling stocks) had 110 seats! Are they too 14.5 m ? Normally the 13 odd metre 9400 uses 58 seats (correct me if i am wrong!) and 14.5 m (+1.5 m (approx)) you cannot manage another 50 odd seats i guess.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
I don't think, It is possible
I guess, this one has 49 seats, don't forget pantry and washroom are also in the bus itself, which occupies a bit of space.
Sameer, Exactly! thats wat even I was trying to say that this bus cannot have more than 55/59 seats(at the max!).

Even otherwise 100 plus is normally possible only on Vestibules and not on normal coaches.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 5th September 2012 at 22:53. Reason: Cross post
Old 5th September 2012, 22:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
I don't think, It is possible

Quote:
Are you sure? I believed the train coaches (rolling stocks) had 110 seats! Are they too 14.5 m ? Normally the 13 odd metre 9400 uses 58 seats (correct me if i am wrong!) and 14.5 m (+1.5 m (approx)) you cannot manage another 50 odd seats i guess.
I guess, this one has 49 seats, don't forget pantry and washroom are also in the bus itself, which occupies a bit of space.

Correct me, If i am wrong

Cheers,
Sameer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks