Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2013, 16:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volvo launches 9400px - 14.5m coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Thunaivan Travels, a new operator in Intercity bus segment has started their maiden route from Palani to Chennai with Volvo B11R.
Looks to me like its a brand new operator, with its first bus!!! And they have gone straight to the top of the heap with a B11R.

BTW, who is the largest operator of B11R's today??? VRL, SRM, Kesineni, KaSRTC???
Old 24th June 2013, 19:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
BTW, who is the largest operator of B11R's today??? VRL, SRM, Kesineni, KaSRTC???
Out of these, only Kesineni has B11Rs!! Kesineni has around 14 of them on roads. After that would be SVR with 6 B11Rs and then Kallada (Suresh Kallada) with 4. Sharma, Thunaivan have two each, while SRS has three.
Old 24th June 2013, 19:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Out of these, only Kesineni has B11Rs!! Kesineni has around 14 of them on roads. After that would be SVR with 6 B11Rs and then Kallada (Suresh Kallada) with 4. Sharma, Thunaivan have two each, while SRS has three.
Thanks for the info. But I think I saw a SRM B11R last time I was in Chennai.

Havnt KaSRTC got any B11Rs in their fleet as Airavat Bliss and Airavat Superia?? Are these all on B9Rs?? I think extra space in a B11R would be nice when you add features like those on the Superia/Bliss services.
Old 24th June 2013, 19:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Thanks for the info. But I think I saw a SRM B11R last time I was in Chennai.

Havnt KaSRTC got any B11Rs in their fleet as Airavat Bliss and Airavat Superia?? Are these all on B9Rs?? I think extra space in a B11R would be nice when you add features like those on the Superia/Bliss services.
Neither of them Got B11Rs. KaSRTC had one on trial for over two months - but nothing came after that. SRM has a fleet of about 30~40 B9Rs and about 4 Merc Tri-axles.
Old 20th November 2013, 11:08   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Do all these buses run with the I-Shift?

Is there any feedback in using the I-Shift (better fuel economy, comfort, etc)?
Old 20th November 2013, 12:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post

A B11R comes with an IShift as standard offering. There is no real fuel advantage in the iShift over the manual one if both are used properly. Some operators do report a slight increase in mileage for the iShift - but it all boils down to the driving style. But the iShift certainly reduces driver fatigue and at the same time increases the risk of the driver falling asleep in some not-so-crowded 4-laned sections.
Old 20th November 2013, 13:06   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post

Quote:
A B11R comes with an IShift as standard offering. There is no real fuel advantage in the iShift over the manual one if both are used properly. Some operators do report a slight increase in mileage for the iShift - but it all boils down to the driving style. But the iShift certainly reduces driver fatigue and at the same time increases the risk of the driver falling asleep in some not-so-crowded 4-laned sections.
I dont think there is much chance of lowered driver concentration. Primarily because in most highway sections, crowded or not so crowded, the Volvo dont change gear much at all. Most drivers stick to 6th gear over quite a wide range of speeds.

On the other hand, the i-Shift does tend to down shift when accelerating. But most of all, I feel that the smoothness of change is quite good. I remember experiencing a B11R i-Shift accelerating on the Hyderabad ORR from standstill till about 120kmph, and the gear shifts were butter smooth and perfectly timed. The driver also gets to put more of his concentration on looking at the road, rather than maximising fuel efficiency with his gear changes, not to mention reduce physical fatigue.

In short, the i-Shift makes for the near perfect gear changing. Of course a really really good driver may match it, but the average driver wont. So again the actual difference between an i-Shift vs a normal gearbox would depend on the driver.
Old 20th November 2013, 14:03   #53
Senior - BHPian

Nice looking bus, I quite like it. But will this bus be able to negotiate the narrow internal roads after entering the city? Also, KA state seems to be ahead of others in introducing new buses and ideas! I just wish these buses star plying on the Bangalore-Pune-Mumbai route. It would be nice to travel in one of these
Old 20th November 2013, 14:10   #54
BHPian

The buses on the road obviously seem to be missing the second door which Volvo would offer as standard as shown in pics on the first page. The operators seem to consider that making money off of 1 extra seat is worth the lives of 50 people in case of a fire.
Old 27th December 2013, 23:13   #55
BHPian

Kudos to Volvo on launching another bus in India. I'm a great fan of the Volvos, and any outstation trip is more for the volvo ride than the actual destination

The yellow seats with the TVs on the back look really luxurious, and the aircraft type overhead bins look awesome too. Volvo seem to be trying to attract fliers to their buses now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks