Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2012, 12:36   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Airport to City - Public Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Park my car at BIAL and go for that 3 day trip! This is news to me! Normally I take a cab from Bellandur as VV bus timings are irregular. The cab costs avg Rs.700/- one way. Can you please give some details on long term parking at BIAL? Is it in a different parking lot (other than the regular drop-off/pick-up parking place?)It is safe & secure? Do we need to pay beforehand ? Maximum how many days allowed? No better feeling than coming back from the trip; avoid all the persisting taxi agents and find my ride waiting for me.
All details here:
Overall:
http://www.bengaluruairport.com/bial...gOptions.jspx#

My views/experience:
Parking lot is termed P1 with entry point beyond the initial turnoff to the terminal. Left after that - do not miss the entry. Not very well marked.
Area is slightly away from the terminal but pleasant and safe walk; However, can be a irritant during rains.
No need to pay upfront. But do nto leave the entry card in the car - carry it with you. Keep change for paying at the turnstile - have once faced issue as most proffer 500 bucks and the cashier may be in a spot.
Have used it regularly without incident (mostly day trips but 1 overnight trip as well)
Have seen many high-end cars parked till very late at night (probably overnight parking?)
Have been charged usually around 250 INR/for 12 hours instead of the flat 300 bucks in the rate card. Unsure why.
They give a printed bill (actually the card itself, I think); very useful for office claims
VFM for shorter stays - however depends on your originating location within BLR - farther away, better the savings.

Rates:
http://www.bengaluruairport.com/bial...kingRates.html

{Am not associated in any way with BIAL/GVK - only a satisfied user :-)}
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 12:55   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
UPDATE for Hyderabad
Aero Express now charges Rs.230 one way, Rs.400 for return trip. The return trip ticket is valid for 10 days.

I have had a good experience with the cabbies you speak of FoW, he was however, not trying to belittle the bus service or anything.

"Sir, I will also charge Rs.200 and you won't even have to wait here for the next 20 mins" (I had just missed the bus, and this was when the fare was Rs.200). Once I agreed, he promptly convinced 2 more guys at the stop and we left.
Seems like the AeroExpress is on the way out now! Read in today's paper. As per the report, APSRTC's Pushpak will be replacing it after Dec-15, rates are not finalized yet.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Hyderabad/aero-express-on-the-way-out/article4071328.ece
Old 7th November 2012, 12:58   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
All details here:
Overall:
http://www.bengaluruairport.com/bial...gOptions.jspx#

My views/experience:
Parking lot is termed P1 with entry point beyond the initial turnoff to the terminal.
Have been charged usually around 250 INR/for 12 hours instead of the flat 300 bucks in the rate card. Unsure why.
They give a printed bill (actually the card itself, I think); very useful for office claims
I have used this Long-term parking service at BIAL time and again and found it convenient and costs the same or slightly more than the regular Meru/ Easy Cab. I have parked it for 7-8 days at a time and not faced any problem.
For day trips or even 2-3 days, this is the way to go.

A cab costs me Rs.1100 for a to and fro trip from my home. If I park at the airport for 4 days, I pay 1100(300+200+200+200+180 fuel) and break even. Anything above this is additional cost of flexibility and convenience. And there is no fear of last minute ditching and scurrying, which I am ok with.

The only downside is the P1 parking is a bit far from the Airport and if its raining, can be a pain since there is no closed shelter.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 12:59   #49
BHPian

I stayed in Hyd for a year. The AeroExpress is a lousy service especially if you have just missed the bus then it is a real pain to wait for the next one which is really unpredictable.
When I compare this with Bangalore Vayu Vajra is doing a decent job. The buses are in excellent condition. THe fares are decent and the schedule seems to be fairly regular. Hyderabad in my opinion is the best candidate for something on the lines of a Vayu Vajra service. People are ready to pay if the buses are on time and predictable. AeroExpress is plain hopeless.
Finally its the cabbies that rule.
Old 7th November 2012, 14:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Park my car at BIAL and go for that 3 day trip! This is news to me! Normally I take a cab from Bellandur as VV bus timings are irregular. The cab costs avg Rs.700/- one way. Can you please give some details on long term parking at BIAL? Is it in a different parking lot (other than the regular drop-off/pick-up parking place?)It is safe & secure? Do we need to pay beforehand ? Maximum how many days allowed? No better feeling than coming back from the trip; avoid all the persisting taxi agents and find my ride waiting for me.
For me it is worse - I start from home at 5AM and from the airport at around 10:30PM. So Meru etc. charge me night fare which works out to about Rs. 1100 one way.

BIAL has the cheapest long-term parking among the airports that have such an option. Details are here (long-term is P1): http://www.bengaluruairport.com/tran...ngOptions.jspx

It is Rs. 300 for the first day, Rs. 200 for every subsequent day. I do Monday-Friday Mumbai trips, so it costs me Rs. 1100 per trip. I don't think there is an upper limit on the number of days.

You don't get to avoid the private taxi touts, though.

Edit: Oops. Did not see that others had posted pretty much the same information. Mods, can delete this no-value-add post.

Last edited by binand : 7th November 2012 at 14:25.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 15:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

WHen on official trips, I always use an airport cab. Much more convenient than a bus, since I am generally always carrying my laptop and clothes for overnight stays.

However, recently, when I was a little light on luggage, I did use the Volvo bus service from the Airport, and found it to be excellent. COmfortable, timely, and most important, 80% or more cheaper than a cab service. Highly recommended if you are carrying less luggage, and are OK with taking a rick to your house from the nearest bus stop.
Old 7th November 2012, 18:19   #52
BHPian

Re: BIAL

I too frequent the Vayu Vajra routing if I am alone. Much more cost effective. Need to plan it out a bit w.r.t. time utilised, since I start from home and to be safe, I just add one additional hour. Don't have the facility near to the house and have to use BIAL-11 or BIAL-5 and get dropped by my driver. Unless too late into the night, I use the return bus option too.

In case the family (3 pax) is travelling, then I prefer to take the cab to the airport, for the convenience and relative cost differential (Rs. 1100/-).

The service is prompt, reasonable, value for money with very good vehicles.
Old 7th November 2012, 19:08   #53
Senior - BHPian

Guys have been hearing this ad by ola cabs that says they charge 500 bucks for a one way trip from anywhere in Bangalore to the airport and the other way too. Of course that makes the equation 1,000 for the airport and back trip, but helps with the people here talking about 1,000 buck one way trips
Old 7th November 2012, 19:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Guys have been hearing this ad by ola cabs that says they charge 500 bucks for a one way trip from anywhere in Bangalore to the airport and the other way too. Of course that makes the equation 1,000 for the airport and back trip, but helps with the people here talking about 1,000 buck one way trips
Thats really good news. Can you please share where you have heard of the same. Checked the website but could not find any info on the same. So any kind of reference would be good to see as need to book a cab for next week.
Old 7th November 2012, 19:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Thats really good news. Can you please share where you have heard of the same. Checked the website but could not find any info on the same. So any kind of reference would be good to see as need to book a cab for next week.
Heard the ads for about a month or two till a couple of weeks ago through ads on radio indigo.

I assume it still applies, but the easiest would be to call them and confirm that the prices are still valid. The number is 33553355 IIRC.
Old 15th November 2012, 04:57   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Ola cabs send out sms to random mobile numbers with a promotional code. Only those few are eligible for the Rs.500 trip to the airport from Bangalaore city limits.

They have started off with an Android app, that lets you book instantaneously. Their back-end is pretty sophisticated from what I heard. Cars are either Swift Dzire Tour or Etios. Brand new ones. Since they have just started business in Bangalore, the higher ups in their Bangalore office roll up their sleeves and make sure customers are served on time.

I had availed of their service in September last, and for some unforeseeable reason, the designated cab driver didn't call me. Instead I received a call from a Senior Manager, with an apology note too, that my cab will arrive 5 minutes behind the promised time.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 21:03   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Cars are either Swift Dzire Tour or Etios. Brand new ones.
They also operate some old Logans and Veritos. Have seen some of these enroute to the airport
Old 28th November 2012, 13:25   #58
BHPian

I thought about the long term parking in BIAL, it works out fine for me economically but there is a major disadvantage. Next week I have a very early morning flight, to catch the same I need to start from my home at 3-30 AM and reach BIAL at 4-30 AM. I 'll reach in time as I'm driving my own vehicle. Now while parking in P1, if I find that the long tern parking lot is FULL. Now what do I do? If I go back to my home, leave car there and take a cab, I know I'll miss the flight. I cannot park the car in any other parking lot in BIAL, it'll be most probably towed by Airport security. only option is to come to BIAL with at least 3 hrs before check-in so that I can return home and come back in a cab if needed. This scenario makes me worried.
Old 28th November 2012, 19:11   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Next week I have a very early morning flight, to catch the same I need to start from my home at 3-30 AM and reach BIAL at 4-30 AM. I 'll reach in time as I'm driving my own vehicle. Now while parking in P1, if I find that the long tern parking lot is FULL. Now what do I do?
Before Indigo started their 7:40AM Mumbai flight, I used to take their 6:10AM one routinely - but I have never faced the issue of insufficient parking in P1. You should note that:

1. P1 is for 4 hours or more. There are several taxi-types who park there for just that duration; so there is a lot of churn.

2. I have never seen it fully occupied. In fact, I have never failed to find a spot in the row closest to the walkway to the airport concourse. It is fairly large and usually only about 60-70% occupied.

3. Worst case, you can always park at P2 or P3 and pay higher rates.

4. If nothing else works, offer the tow-away guys that you will drive to their hold area and pick up your car on your return after paying the fine
Old 8th December 2012, 09:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

I used to take Fast Track every time from Air port to residence. Though the quality of cabs are good in Airport - mostly Indigo, Logan, Dzire, they were costing a bomb. From Airport to Velachery / Guindy, it costs 500. But since I come late in the night - most of the time late evening / last flight, I have no option of taking MTC / MRTS. But there was an option of taking pre paid taxi, but they normally run out off cab.
This time there was a que waiting and was sure to get one (one big reason was I wanted to try Amby). I was given a trip sheet and it costed 360 to Velacherry.
The ride was in a relatively new Amby.
Like many I too started to learn driving with Ambassador, as we had one in early 90's. So there was always a good memory for Ambassador's with me. Also the back seat comfort and leg room in Ambassador was too good for me always. I was sure in many of the cars like Indigo / Dzire, for the sake of providing better leg room, thigh support was always a compromise. But this is one car where there was a good level of trade off for both these factors - atleast for my size. SO soon after I started to move, I started to enjoy the travel and was getting sleep even before I reach my home.
I recommend pre paid taxi, if you are looking for a Non AC cab for a short travel.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 8th December 2012 at 09:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks