Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2013, 10:01   #61
BHPian

Re: Airport to City - Public Transport

It is really sad to see Kochi airport being so unfriendly to travellers as far as short distance tavel is concerned. The pre paid taxi guys in the airport operates on a minimum fare basis.... Minimum charge works out to 418 Rs whether you need to go to Athani down the road or Kalamaserry 22 km away. Autos are not allowed to pick up pax from the terminal, you have to walk with your bags more than 1 kn away to the mainroad to pick up one and KeSRTC who should help in this case by introducing more Volvo services instead is now concentrating on running it on Inter District services, In short people who live in earby towns like Angamaly or Aluva are hit hard by these taxi guys. All over the world airports are encouraging people to use more and more public transport by providing better links, here instead people are forced to bring their own vehicles. So much for the "go green" initiative if there is any by the Kochi Airport.

Sad thing ( and this is not a well known fact) is this airport has a lot of investment by ordinary people who bought shares in the airport project, The big shot NRIs who invested in large number of shares have been rewarded by awards and seats in the airport board, but there are a large number of ordinary share holders who put in their hard earned money as well and played their part in making this airport possible and they are not getting recognised for their contributions. Thankfully the airport is profitable, so hopefully they are getting their returns on investment.

Interestingly Kochi Trivandrum ordinary taxi prepaid fare pre paid fare is 4751, the airfare on the last day by Indigo is 4360 and Air India is around the same. Ofcourse taxi can be shared by 4 to 5 peoople, but if you are an individual traveller, it is not just quicker, but cheaper to fly!!!
Old 9th January 2013, 11:45   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
I used to take Fast Track every time from Air port to residence.
I am put up at New Woodlands on Radhakrishnan Road and need to catch a flight at 9PM tonight. Can I take fast track? Are they reliable?
Old 9th January 2013, 11:57   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
I am put up at New Woodlands on Radhakrishnan Road and need to catch a flight at 9PM tonight. Can I take fast track? Are they reliable?
You can very well take fast track. They have turned our 100% for me, without any disappointment even in odd hours. They charge Rs.15 for Indica.
Until other wise you wanted to try new operators, there are no issues.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 11:41   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
You can very well take fast track. They have turned our 100% for me, without any disappointment even in odd hours. They charge Rs.15 for Indica.
Until other wise you wanted to try new operators, there are no issues.
I booked Fast Track and specifically told them to arrange Indica as I was traveling alone. Buggers sent a Xylo citing no other cabs available and I had to shell out extra money. I wanted to argue but the driver was not at all fluent in English so I left it at that. Also took Rs 70 as some toll. Total bill from New Woodlands to airport came to Rs 490.
Old 11th January 2013, 08:15   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I booked Fast Track and specifically told them to arrange Indica as I was traveling alone. Buggers sent a Xylo citing no other cabs available and I had to shell out extra money. I wanted to argue but the driver was not at all fluent in English so I left it at that. Also took Rs 70 as some toll. Total bill from New Woodlands to airport came to Rs 490.
They do that frequently, when you book airport trips. Either the shortage is really acute, or they figure airport travellers can pay the higher rate for larger cars.

Also, where is any toll between Cathedral Road and the Airport?? The straightest route from Woodlands to Airport, via RA Puram - Adyar - Guindy, is completely bereft of any sort of collection points.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 10:13   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, extremely sorry to hear that.
What so ever the cab they sent, you can pay Indica fare. I think you are speaking on entry toll to Airport. This also, if its less than 15min, you need not pay.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2014, 21:07   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
Interestingly Kochi Trivandrum ordinary taxi prepaid fare pre paid fare is 4751, the airfare on the last day by Indigo is 4360 and Air India is around the same. Ofcourse taxi can be shared by 4 to 5 peoople, but if you are an individual traveller, it is not just quicker, but cheaper to fly!!!
Can someone help with the latest bus timings from Kochi Airport? Conflicting information on the net.
Old 2nd June 2014, 22:15   #68
BHPian

The Kochi Airport website is fairly accurate as I have used the bus to town many times based on them. Note that you need Tables 2 and 3. Table 1 is for timings from City to Airport.

ALUVA = Aluva Bye Pass and not Aluva Town.

http://cial.aero/contents/viewconten...&linkLvl1Id=17

From Edapally bye pass to Palarivattom expect massive traffic blocks as work on the Palarivattom flyover is about to start.

Unlike Volvo buses elsewhere the JnURM volvos in Kochi or Trivandrum will stop at any bus stop.

Unlike in Bangalore, these are not dedicated Airport services, they are just some of the Volvo intra city routes which originate/terminate at the airport. Fares are cheap but do keep an eye on your belongings. There are no luggage racks for these buses like in Bangalore. So if you have luggage try the fold down seats in the centre.

Right now I wouuld suggest if you live on or or near the NH 47 up to Edapally Byepass, take the bus. Anywhere further the pre paid taxi may be better as they can use shorter routes. CIAL airport taxis operate on a minimum fare system ,so for someone staying close by like myself it doesn't make any sense to pay 400 + for a trip which I can cover in 40 Rs using a Volvo/Auto combination.

While personally I cannot complain, from an airport planning perspective this service is a case study on how NOT TO run an airport bus service.

The biggest beneficiaries of this service are the backpackers from abroad who use the cheap guest houses/home stays in Fort Kochi area. For less than 100 Rs they get to travel in style in AC comfort For people travelling to other parts of the state and for locals this service is of limited use as most (not all buses) manage to avoid every railway station on the way. The nearest station Ankamaly has no Volvo routes from the airport , hardly any bus touches Aluva railway station and only a few buses which run via MG Road passes near the two stations in Ernakulam. Compare this to say Delhi where in addition to a lot of long distance bus services , there arhe also coach services to the main highway where travellers can pick up Autos or regular public transport. Autos are not allowed to pick up passengers from the CIAL airport as well, so people are forced to either bring their own vehicles or have to use airport taxis.

Kochi Airport is not going to win any awards for Go Green initiatives in a hurry, Instead they seem to be trying to for awards like the Best Airport Golf Course or the friendliest airport for Book Lovers (there are no less than three books shops post security in the international terminal).
TKMCE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2014, 18:13   #69
BHPian

Bombay Airport, though lies bang in the middle of the megapolis does not have any good connectivity to the various city destinations through reliable buses.

I think it is high time we have spacious low floor buses to various points in the city. viz
1. Airport - Borivali
2. Airport - Colaba (via bombay central station)
3. Airport - VT station
4. Airport - Panvel (via Vashi - Belapur)
5. Airport - Thane

Even if they carry out hourly operations especially from the domestic terminal at Santacruz they will be a resounding hit as the bombay airport handles a huge passenger load from all across the city...

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 28th September 2017, 15:16   #70
BHPian

Where's the CIAL Volvo pick-up point at Fort Kochi? Can anyone share the location here?
Old 30th September 2017, 10:22   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Where's the CIAL Volvo pick-up point at Fort Kochi? Can anyone share the location here?
At Fort Kochi Bus station, near Santacruz Basilica/Beach/Jankar Jetty.
Old 3rd October 2017, 13:07   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
And Nobody mentioned using Chennai Suburban EMU. Until Delhi Metro, Chennai Airport was closest to being connected by Train. It is still a pain now to cross over to the parking lot, GST road to get a train, but it is the cheapest (and probably fastest depending on time of the day) way to reach your destination provided it is close to a Railway station and you are travelling light.

Initially it had elevators on airport side, which helped people with luggage and a slope on railway station side.. Now the elevators are not working The frequency of train service is very good on weekdays and pretty decent of weekends.

Now metro is also available to go till koyambedu from airport which is quite useful. Not sure how luggage friendly it will be if you have transfer from one line to another once the whole network is completed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks