Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2012, 23:06   #61
BHPian

Re: Ashok Leyland Viking

Around 1432 buses from all transport corporations of TN(Excl MTC) were selected for rebuilding process. Below is an AL Viking of TNSTC-Coimbatore which was completely rebuilt recently!

Below pic was taken on January 2012.
Ashok Leyland Viking-img_0673.jpg

This was taken after it got rebuilt and now it is running as city bus in Coimbatore.
Ashok Leyland Viking-dsc_6032.jpg
dhandapanik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 11:50   #62
BHPian

Hi, I have been seeing this bus regularly in Bangalore on kanakapura road around 9:30am. This is pretty old Ashok Leyland bus belonging to karnataka Govt's sericulture dept. This has been taken care of very well and has been in top condition always. Dont have further information - and sorry about poor quality pics taken from mobile.
Attached Thumbnails
Ashok Leyland Viking-karser1.jpg  

Ashok Leyland Viking-karser2.jpg  

Old 26th October 2012, 15:59   #63
BHPian

Re: Viking leaflets

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
The early model looks like the KB travels bus(the guys who ran the bus from Pondy Bazaar, Chennai to Madurai daily).
Polopm, glad to see a mention of KB Travels. I used to always prefer their service for trips to Madras (I lived in Madurai between 1983 - 1998) compared to the other private carriers. They just ran 2 services each way (8PM and 8:30PM) simultaneously from Madras and Madurai, were very punctual, and didn't bother the passengers with noisy videos like KPN and the other private carriers. If KB was full I'd opt for the TTC 137 series (again, in those days TTCs didn't have videos, which SETC now has, unfortunately.)

Please do upload some photos of the KB buses if you have any, it would be much appreciated.
Old 20th November 2012, 19:08   #64
Senior - BHPian

New set of Alloy wheels. These are made by Wheels India and it costs around a lakh for a set.
This Viking is running between Palani and Dindugal - One of the hottest routes in this area.
Ashok Leyland Viking-p191112_09.28.jpg
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 19:26   #65
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps, AL got inspired and developed the Viking seeing many SRTCs especially in Tamil Nadu, building the extended front overhang bodies on Comet chassis with a passenger door on the front side of the front wheel. If I am right this type of body was common much before the advent of the Viking. The Kerala SRTC never had such buses before the Viking appeared on the bus scene.
I also remember seeing the overdrive gear in AL buses of Pallavan Transport corporation Express buses plying between Trivandrum and Madras (erstwhile names of Thiruvananthapuram and Chennai) in 1973/74.
Old 20th November 2012, 20:49   #66
BHPian

Saw this sticker on the engine cover of Viking of TNSTC-Villupuram bus running between Pondy and Chennai.

The translated text is instruction to driver saying " S6 - Overdrive gear box fitted (in this bus). Use the OD gear above 50 kmph"

I think this is yet another initiative to extract as much mileage as possible by the transport corporation and AL. While the driver was religiously following shifting to OD gear as soon as he reached 50 kmph he was not really keen in reducing the gear slowing down below 50 kmph thereby lugging the engine. I feel a better advise would be shifting to OD after reaching a certain engine speed (tachometer was working along with speedo). The bus was inducted in fleet in Aug 2012 based on builder's plate. Hope fully the speedo is not disconnected, which has been my peeve against Govt buses since I was a kid.

Question to experts: why not have the OD gear integrated like in cars so that it is engaged directly instead of doing so here?
Attached Thumbnails
Ashok Leyland Viking-ashleyviking.jpg  

Old 20th November 2012, 23:03   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Question to experts: why not have the OD gear integrated like in cars so that it is engaged directly instead of doing so here?
Refer my previous post. Many months after traveling in the Bus with the OD gear came across the AL ad on overdrive gear box which AL was offering as an option. Your question cropped up in my mind then itself and the answer still remains elusive.
Old 21st November 2012, 09:12   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
...I also remember seeing the overdrive gear in AL buses of Pallavan Transport corporation Express buses plying between Trivandrum and Madras (erstwhile names of Thiruvananthapuram and Chennai) in 1973/74.
Are you sure about this? I didnt know that AL had overdrive GBs during then.

Quote:
...Question to experts: why not have the OD gear integrated like in cars so that it is engaged directly instead of doing so here?
Sorry, I didnt understand this question..., in the AL OD gearbox, the OD gear is integrated like in cars (as per my understanding).
Old 21st November 2012, 09:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I also remember seeing the overdrive gear in AL buses of Pallavan Transport corporation Express buses plying between Trivandrum and Madras (erstwhile names of Thiruvananthapuram and Chennai) in 1973/74.
Good to hear some old stories about the OD gear box.

Quote:
.... why not have the OD gear integrated like in cars so that it is engaged directly instead of doing so here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
...Sorry, I didnt understand this question..., in the AL OD gearbox, the OD gear is integrated like in cars (as per my understanding).
There is nothing difference between cars and buses in this case. The 6th gear or top gear is a OD.
In earlier scenario what rajeev is speaking, there will be a seperate add on Over drive unit. With kind remembrance from the past, the dispaly sticker is made as OD instead of 6th.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 09:58   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
...In earlier scenario what rajeev is speaking, there will be a seperate add on Over drive unit...
Ok, got it now....in this case, the OD lever would be separate from the main gear lever, right ?
Old 21st November 2012, 10:31   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure about this? I didnt know that AL had overdrive GBs during then.
Yes I am one hundred percent sure. I noticed that sitting in that PTC Express bus before the bus reached Nagercoil of this uncommon-till-then gear change and after Nagercoil it was OD all the way during that night.
I also vividly remember the ad by AL on this feature soon afterwards.

Last edited by rajeev k : 21st November 2012 at 10:33.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 10:51   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...this uncommon-till-then gear change ...
Was the OD engaged by a separate gear-lever or was it integrated in the main lever itself ?
Old 21st November 2012, 12:41   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was the OD engaged by a separate gear-lever or was it integrated in the main lever itself ?
It was integrated to the main gear lever itself.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 13:05   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
New set of Alloy wheels. These are made by Wheels India and it costs around a lakh for a set.
AshLey sir, looks like lots of chrome and less of alloy! Looks like, is being typically made for our Polachi/Pazhani route "bling" buses.

Is this available as an option directly from AL or an aftermarket fitment?
Old 21st November 2012, 13:57   #75
BHPian

Quote:
With kind remembrance from the past, the dispaly sticker is made as OD instead of 6th.
If the OD gear mentioned in the sticker is the higher gear with integrated OD then I stand corrected, for I thought the OD gear selector position will actuate a bolt on OD gear which is outside of the GB.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks