Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2013, 14:35   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: B.E.S.T. buses - Painting Mumbai RED!

Hello,

BEST decides to phase out all JCBL Cerita model AC buses - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20320244.cms

BEST is currently operating a fleet of 282 Cerita model buses since 2008 & have incurred a loss of appox Rs. 400 crores in last 5 years (mainly maintenance & repairs cost).

The statistics are interesting - BEST earns approx Rs. 5 crores per month from these buses but the monthly fixed & variable cost on these buses are approx Rs. 13 crores, resulting a clear loss of Rs. 8 crores per month.

This bring to table the sad fact about how Procurement teams backstabs public corporations by approving substandard products.

But one thing surprises me is the same Cerita buses are used to ferry passenges at Mumbai Airport & I have never witnessed a Cerita bus breakdown there. Also the Air-conditioner is operating at perfect temperature in these buses at Airport.

Thanks,
Old 29th May 2013, 19:05   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello,

But one thing surprises me is the same Cerita buses are used to ferry passenges at Mumbai Airport & I have never witnessed a Cerita bus breakdown there. Also the Air-conditioner is operating at perfect temperature in these buses at Airport.

Thanks,
Hello Jignesh,

That could be becuase these airport buses travel ery short distances. If we say that a bus in the airport serves 20 planes per day and the distance betwen the plane and terminal is approx 400 meters, then these buses harly run for 10-20 kilometers per day. Also the other point to note is the Cerita had pick up issues, specially on flyovers. they just could not climb the flyovers. the sirport has no such problem and has a super smooth Tarmac.

Today's TOI also mentions that the BEST has temporarily put on hold the purchase of new AC buses, till the Ceritas are phased out. The Ceritas were a blatant waste of public money and criminal charges must be placed against the people who authorised the purchase of these buses.
Dieseltuned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 10:30   #78
BHPian

International firm to better BEST services

Working towards a system of zero cancellations, more buses, extra routes and optimum utilization of drivers and conductors, the BEST has embarked on a project to computerize "schedules and plans" of its fleet and drivers/conductors across 25 depots. The undertaking will work with global firm Trapeze, whose software has been running buses in Europe and the US.

Full Story Here -

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ntenttarget=no
TaurusAl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 11:06   #79
BHPian

New Routes Introduced and some recent development -

BEST links 3 Parel hosps to suburbs, Navi Mumbai.

MUMBAI: From Monday, the BEST will run special buses that will benefit cancer patients seeking treatment at Tata Memorial Hospital in Parel and also those visiting the nearby KEM and Wadia hospitals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, the bad news. The BEST is going to scrap an AC route and discontinue another on Sundays. "From July 1, route no. AC-707 (Seven Bungalows to Swatantra Veer Savarkar Chowk-Golden Nest, Bhayander) will not ply on Sundays. Route no. AC-302 (Ghatkopar Depot to Cadbury Junction) is being scrapped due to poor response," an official said.

However, commuters have expressed displeasure over the cancellations.

Full Story -

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...ntenttarget=no
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:12   #80
BHPian

Re: BEST Buses

Came across this story on ACI website, they've put it up from their archives it seems but what a pic, they are slaloming a double decker! http://www.autocarindia.com/Feature/...ouble8217.aspx
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:29   #81
BHPian

The Double decker plying on our Mumbai streets recently completed 75 years, I only saw one article on the web by DNA about the news but recently came up on this on the ACI website, they've put it up from their archives it seems but what a pic, they are slaloming a double decker! http://www.autocarindia.com/Feature/...ouble8217.aspx
performance plumbing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 10:40   #82
BHPian

BEST is introducing a lots new tech advancements these days. Started off with the new ticket systems, then radio freq smart cards which can be bought/renew online, smart card system like railways where one can top-up the card and buy tickets off it and lastly tracking of bus (though only ac bus is available now).
Old 9th July 2013, 13:22   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by performance plumbing View Post
The Double decker plying on our Mumbai streets recently completed 75 years, I only saw one article on the web by DNA about the news but recently came up on this on the ACI website, they've put it up from their archives it seems but what a pic, they are slaloming a double decker! http://www.autocarindia.com/Feature/...ouble8217.aspx
There was a report in the local newpapers of double deckers buses being propsoed to be started in Thane too. Dont know whether BEST will take a lead over TMT to do so. My mails to BEST to improve the BEST buses route indicator screens, plates seems to go unanswered.
Old 18th July 2013, 19:07   #84
BHPian

Today morning saw 2 AS-524 buses packed right from Borivali and another AS-388 bus with people spilling over the driver.The BEST AC service seems to get a good patronage even now. I don't know whether this is because of lack of options for the people.

P.S:: I stopped using BEST AC buses after the latest fare hike. My Petrol WagonR is cheaper than the BEST AC bus now as me and my better half travel together.
Old 18th July 2013, 21:50   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
AS-388 bus with people spilling over the driver.The BEST AC service seems to get a good patronage even now. I don't know whether this is because of lack of options for the people.
Hello,

AS-388 is the only bus for people living in Kandivali & Malad which goes to Ghatkopar via JVLR, SEEPZ & Powai.

Earlier there used to be normal (non a/c) bus service - 388 & 488 plying between Borivali & Ghatkopar. Due to reasons unknown both these routes were discontinued almost two years back. Even for me, if I do not have car / bike, AS-388 bus is the only option between Malad West & SEEPZ.

Also with current traffic situation & recent petrol price hikes, it makes sense for people to leave their cars at home & travel by BEST A/c buses specially if the starting point is near their homes.

Thanks,
Old 19th July 2013, 12:18   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

AS-388 is the only bus for people living in Kandivali & Malad which goes to Ghatkopar via JVLR, SEEPZ & Powai.

Earlier there used to be normal (non a/c) bus service - 388 & 488 plying between Borivali & Ghatkopar. Due to reasons unknown both these routes were discontinued almost two years back. Even for me, if I do not have car / bike, AS-388 bus is the only option between Malad West & SEEPZ.

Also with current traffic situation & recent petrol price hikes, it makes sense for people to leave their cars at home & travel by BEST A/c buses specially if the starting point is near their homes.

Thanks,
Dear Jignesh,

I stay at Borivali National park, off WEH and was a regular on the As-524 route with a monthly pass.

There were 2 big things which made us go for the car.

1. The AS-524 bus service which is operated by the Magathane depot, became so erratic, there were days when there was no AS-524 bus for 1-2 hours. After spending close to 3000 INR on a monthly pass, one does expect a decent bus service. Due to this erratic bus service, we ended up spending money for auto-rickshaws over and above the 3000 INR spent on the bus pass

2. Me and my better half work in the same area and have similar timings, so we travel together. After the latest fare hike, the bus ticket was increased to INR 65 one way. so that comes to INR 260 per day for 2 people. Add to this the share rickshaw cost of INR 40 from bus stop to office, and we landed up spending INR 300 per day on transport. Now if we do some math. the distance between our home and office is 19 kms one way, so to and fro it comes to 38 kms. With my current driving and traffic conditions the WagonR gives me an average of 13 kmpl.

so approx 3 litres of fuel per day and with current rate (approx 77) = 231 INR

So savings of INR 70 approx per day + added convinience and time saved (from waiting for buses)

while using the BEST bus, we used to reach home somedays by 11 PM in the night. now its hardly above 09:45 PM. so again almost 1 hour 15 minutes saved per day, which is now well spent with family.

I understand that public transport must be used whenever possible and this vehicle is strictly for office drive only and all other commutes to the city (town and SOBO, sometimes Mira Road) are only by train or bus.

Cheers
Dieseltuned

P.S :: May be this can be a case study in how not to run a public transport organisation
Dieseltuned is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 13:23   #87
Senior - BHPian

Agree with you dieseltuned. Magathane depot is one of the worst depots of BEST. Since this month, AS-461 is being operated by Gorai depot instead of Magathane. As per drivers of Gorai, this change is due to Magathane depot's inability to properly operate buses on the route. Following a large number of complaints the route was taken away from Magathane.
Old 24th July 2013, 14:20   #88
BHPian

Today's Mumbai mirror carries an article for bus route number AS-70, which was leaking inside. this route along with AS-2 i suppose is also operated by Magathane depot.

I think even the AS-700 route is now being shared with Mulund Depot. Many Mulund depot buses are now-a-days seen on the AS-700 route.
Old 24th July 2013, 14:52   #89
Senior - BHPian

BEST instructs its Conducters to behave softly with students & be more sensitive towards women & senior citizens.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/21258025.cms

The directive is issued after several complaints against conducters & ticket checkers for harassing children with using photocopies of school concession smartcards instead of the original bus passes.

The move is in right direction, but why only for particular section of commuters? Why cannot conducters behave softly & humanly with all the passengers. Why are BEST Drivers & Conducters always a frustrated lot. I understand they may going nuts over traffic, pollution, heat & ever crowded buses. But these factors remains the reality of their jobs & why cannot BEST Administration take strict actions against rude drivers / conducters?

Thanks,
Old 24th July 2013, 15:28   #90
BHPian

Quote:
BEST instructs its Conducters to behave softly with students & be more sensitive towards women & senior citizens.
Frankly speaking, I have rarely found a conductor behaving rudely with me. Some of them are very kind and pretty helpful. It just depends on the way how we start the communication with them. Knowing the fact that they go through a hard time with all kinds of passengers, I am always polite even if he talks a bit harsh. After some time, even their tone changes. It works!

On a side note, I was once having a casual conversation with the conductor when a passenger asks for a ticket. He gives a 100rs note for some 12rs ticket. Conductor asks for the 2rs change to which the passenger answers rudely that you need to have the change and it is your duty to give me change. This behaviour put his mood off and was the spark of the argument that followed. Point is, if we behave politely, even they have a heart.
carzone is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed