Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2014, 13:01   #61
BHPian

Re: Isuzu launches D-Max @ Rs. 5.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Looks like Isuzu has started testing a double-can version of the D-Max. This test mule was spotted on the Chennai - Bangalore highway.
Bring this on ISUZU, ofcourse with ABS and airbags. We can spruce this up with some good wheels and other accessories and we are ready to go. As they are testing this without any camouflage, should be very close to launch. Happy to see the dealership being opened in Bangalore. By the time I am back in India I should be able to get hold of one.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th May 2014 at 16:00. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 20th May 2014, 15:14   #62
BHPian

Drove the D-Max today! Though the test drive was a pretty short one, I really liked the almost car like behavior of the D-Max.

The test vehicle was a fully imported one and came with arched deck(even for the single cab), dual air bags, stereo, power steering and power windows.

First thing you would notice with this pick-up is how low set it is when compared to its competitors. You can just slide yourself into the seats and you dont get a commanding view from the inside. Its again more car like with a clear view of the bonnet in the front. Adding a thick cushion on the seat should help one get that commanding view to some extent!!

Crank the engine and the diesel clatter is pretty audible but nothing really annoys you and there is absolutely no vibrations felt inside the cabin (or atleast I did not feel anything!). Gear throws are pretty UV types and you need to reach out to the gear lever a bit. One thing that is very, very impressive was the engine responsiveness! There was absolutely 'No' turbo lag felt and the pick-up displayed amazing eagerness to get going! I found the first gear to be pretty short and guess might be useful for getting momentum for hauling heavy cargo.

The steering felt a little heavy and the controls were on the wrong side (for a Jap vehicle). I am not sure if the controls will remain the same on the Indian spec model or if it has been reworked already.

Only potential issue I found was the overall vehicle ground clearance. It seemed just adequate. Not sure if a fully laden vehicle would have its belly scrapped on our infamous speed breakers.

Overall, I enjoyed the short drive and was pretty much at ease driving the D-Max! It is being launched officially in Bangalore on the 27th of this month!

Note - A note of thanks to Trident Isuzu and Mr Santosh for providing a test drive of the vehicle and also for extending a invite to the launch event (at Hotel Ashok)!!

Some Pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Isuzu launches D-Max @ Rs. 5.99 lakhs-dsc_0004-1280x720.jpg  

Isuzu launches D-Max @ Rs. 5.99 lakhs-dsc_0006-1280x720.jpg  

Isuzu launches D-Max @ Rs. 5.99 lakhs-dsc_0007-1280x720.jpg  

Isuzu launches D-Max @ Rs. 5.99 lakhs-dsc_0008-1280x720.jpg  

Isuzu launches D-Max @ Rs. 5.99 lakhs-dsc_0009-1280x720.jpg  

Isuzu launches D-Max @ Rs. 5.99 lakhs-dsc_0010-1280x720.jpg  

Isuzu launches D-Max @ Rs. 5.99 lakhs-dsc_0011-1280x720.jpg  

Isuzu launches D-Max @ Rs. 5.99 lakhs-dsc_0012-1280x720.jpg  

Last edited by vinair : 20th May 2014 at 15:24.
vinair is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 19:08   #63
BHPian

After reading Vin's first drive report, its clear that D-max is a very good product and way better than current Indian UV's. Now i have a doubt, the underpinnings for D-max and MU-7 are more or less same, ok, the engine is of less capacity but still. Now, why there is a huge price difference among these models? MU-7 at some 25 lakhs approx and D-Max at one-third of that price!
Old 21st May 2014, 19:59   #64
Senior - BHPian

D-Max attracts way less excise duty due to its classification as a commercial vehicle. There were some court cases going on over the issue but now it seems to have been settled.
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:58   #65
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, in its current form, D-Max will fail in India.

Lifestyle customers won't buy because of the CV registration issue. Those in the transport business will stay away because of poor ground clearance.
Old 22nd May 2014, 13:39   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
IMHO, in its current form, D-Max will fail in India.

Lifestyle customers won't buy because of the CV registration issue. Those in the transport business will stay away because of poor ground clearance.
I do not think 180mm clearance is an issue for urban use as mini truck. Only the rural guys may stay away, but that market is already bolero's.
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:12   #67
BHPian

I really doubt if this will succeed here. The market is not there for this type of vehicle. Anyway congrats to Isuzu for the experiment. Also they have brought the old model. Had they brougt the latest model, Xenon's grave would be dug for sure. Check this:
Attached Thumbnails
Isuzu launches D-Max @ Rs. 5.99 lakhs-2012isuzudmaxcarscoop4.jpg  

car love is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:13   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
I really doubt if this will succeed here. The market is not there for this type of vehicle. Anyway congrats to Isuzu for the experiment. Also they have brought the old model. Had they brougt the latest model, Xenon's grave would be dug for sure. Check this:
Xenon's grave? what Xenon's grave. Xenon is already dead. I doubt it sells much in the non CV avatar!
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:15   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Xenon's grave? what Xenon's grave. Xenon is already dead. I doubt it sells much in the non CV avatar!
You are absolutely right. Wrong choice of words i guess
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:04   #70
BHPian

Happened to see it in the flesh at the Sanpada, Navi Mumbai Showroom of ISUZU. The pick-ups are neatly parked in the porch for display. The look is butch and the stance is demeaning. Recently happened to see an MU7 ready for delivery. Guess, ISUZU will have to focus on improving the dealer network and their marketing strategy to catch more eye balls. Should soon be a familiar sight on India roads.
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:44   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
No mate, this vehicle in flesh looks much better! I personally a boxy design (a little) more appealing than arches and curves, at least on a SUV or a UV!
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 18:12   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
No mate, this vehicle in flesh looks much better! I personally a boxy design (a little) more appealing than arches and curves, at least on a SUV or a UV!
I know where you are coming from..the Ford trucks of the 80's are such timeless designs..My favourite too..Have not seen this one in the flesh yet...
car love is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 14:22   #73
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for sharing the pic!

Double can seems to be an good buy for personal user. So if it's at around 8 Lakhs then spend another Lakh on accessories etc. to add a hood on the back and voila you have a great car for weekend getaways.
Old 12th June 2014, 08:30   #74
Senior - BHPian

I find a lot of people getting awed by the idea of owning a truck as a personal vehicle but then unless one has really thought it through, these things (even in their Double-cab or Crew-cab versions) are still only good as fun/weekend rides.

They do not have the same level of refinement or safety equipment (at least in India) & even with a double-cab, the space is at a premium. On a trip, one has to keep all the luggage in the cargo-bay & should you need anything in between, the vehicle has to be stopped, the driver or one of the passengers has to get down, go back to the cargo bay, get the required stuff & then start again.

So, I feel that a typical SUV still makes a lot more sense here, at least from a practical standpoint.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 15:16   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
On a trip, one has to keep all the luggage in the cargo-bay & should you need anything in between, the vehicle has to be stopped, the driver or one of the passengers has to get down, go back to the cargo bay, get the required stuff & then start again.

So, I feel that a typical SUV still makes a lot more sense here, at least from a practical standpoint.
I am confused here. you mean, in a vehicle like an Innova or Safari you can reach into the rear third row seat area to get stuff? Well Plastic Man can do it, but not ordinary mortals
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks