Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2023, 14:31   #316
BHPian

Re: Submarines of the Indian Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
While it seems the bulk of the help came from the UK, I did find it interesting that some Indian expertise was involved in this project. I wonder to what extent any Indian personnel being involved would need to be greenlit at GoI level rather than it being retirees going in an individual consulting capacity.
As far as I am aware, Indian service personnel would almost surely need approval from the GoI to be involved in defense-related activities oversees (unlike Western countries like UK & Australia). The fact that Indian personnel were present should mean tacit support from GoI even though ostensibly they are supporting at a personal capacity.
Old 27th January 2024, 18:23   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

https://swarajyamag.com/defence/thre...on-with-france

Looks like France is going to help us integrate an AIP power unit with our Scorpene class starting with INS Kalvari later in 2024. It seems DRDO has developed this AIP.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 22:49   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
https://swarajyamag.com/defence/thre...on-with-france

Looks like France is going to help us integrate an AIP power unit with our Scorpene class starting with INS Kalvari later in 2024. It seems DRDO has developed this AIP.
This has to be the AIP plug that's been doing the rounds on the blogosphere for a while now. Think we have a schematic of it earlier on the thread. I guess it's in Naval Groups interest to see how well it integrates into their design. I imagine as the OEM they still get access to a fair bit of data from the license built boats.

What's more interesting in the announcement is the potential 3 boat follow on order. Question is, wording makes it sound like they'll come from French yards which doesn't do anything for preserving the production base at Mazagon Docks from the Kalvari build programme.
ads11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 07:09   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
What's more interesting in the announcement is the potential 3 boat follow on order. Question is, wording makes it sound like they'll come from French yards which doesn't do anything for preserving the production base at Mazagon Docks from the Kalvari build programme.
Good news is these 3 will be built at Maz Docks Mumbai. How I wish it was 6 or 8 and not 3. 5 out of our 7 Kilo class boats and all 4 HDW's are 40 years old now. That is a lot of age for a pressure hull. Sadly we are being compelled to keep this ageing fleet going because of indecision and lack of budgets in the 1990s and early 2000s.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks