Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2016, 17:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Isuzu @ Auto Expo 2016 (including the D-Max V-Cross)

The D Max V cross has tremendous promise to succeed as a lifestyle vehicle (I have noticed in this forum the length some people went to acquire a D Max which is only sold as commercial vehicle)
Old 8th February 2016, 23:10   #17
Team-BHP Support

The D-Max V-cross was very very impressive. This can really be a game changer in this lifestyle vehicle segment. Something Tata and Mahindra have had mediocre luck with.

To Isuzu:Only one thing. If you are reading this, please please do not get the beige interiors. It does not suit a vehicle of this character at all. The Thai spec with all black looked so much better. The India one with sea of beige on dash, doors and the light beige cloth seats will be a guaranteed disaster with the intended application of this vehicle.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 05:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Gosh that Dmax is just drool worthy! I have spent my last 1 hour watching offroad videos and OMG are they awesome! Isuzu please launch it at a reasonable price and do offer black interiors.

Also for the mods who sat in the rear seat. Is it comfortable over long distances in comparison to a SUV?

Maddy
Old 9th February 2016, 08:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Great to see a V-Cross version of the pickup by Isuzu. We have grown up seeing a lot of Isuzu badging on our good old Ambassadors which sported Isuzu diesel engines hence this brand is a familiar name.

Have seen reports of Team BHPians owning the D Max albeit in the commercial vehicle registration currently and getting company fitted bells and creature comforts is really good. The decked up version really looks bling! Also this variant has a proper rear bumper which is missing in the currently sold pick up versions.
Old 9th February 2016, 12:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I wish they would have gotten the 1.9L engine. Same power, but newer. Would also have helped skirt 2L regulations.

Price at 15L ex showroom is risky. About 12-13 would have been more realistic, even if it meant forgoing some bells and whistles.

India is not a mature pickup market. At 12L they would have kickstarted a new segment. At 15+, somebody else may take their candy
We never are a satisfied lot, are we? The review says that the interiors are bare basic but comparable to the current Fortuner, which sells at double the price!!

The price may not be the issue - it is the mental block. A few early adopters putting this on the road may lead to better acceptability. In fact the fully accessorised one with full canopy has real killer looks. Would love to see this model getting more success bringing down the stratospheric prices of Fortuner/Endeavor
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 12:33   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
We never are a satisfied lot, are we? The review says that the interiors are bare basic but comparable to the current Fortuner, which sells at double the price!!

The price may not be the issue - it is the mental block. A few early adopters putting this on the road may lead to better acceptability. In fact the fully accessorised one with full canopy has real killer looks. Would love to see this model getting more success bringing down the stratospheric prices of Fortuner/Endeavor
Its not about satisfaction but market dynamics. Kickstarting a new segment in Automobile space is always tough. The weekend jeep segment started because Thar cost 7L ex showroom at launch. If it had been Jeep with its 20L wrangler or something, the segment would never have started.
Price is the key when trying to create a new segment. Dmax was so popular because it cost only 7L and offered a cracker of an engine and very good quality.
15L is kind of the psychological barrier. At 15L, a fence sitter may thing, I can get a XUV, why do I need a pickup truck. Of course there will be takers, but if you look internationally, Pick ups are priced closer to entry level SUVs. Of course, when markets mature you have pickups with powerful engines and all bells and whistles reaching into premium category, but they are not the volume sellers.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 13:49   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you are reading this, please please do not get the beige interiors. It does not suit a vehicle of this character at all. The Thai spec with all black looked so much better. The India one with sea of beige on dash, doors and the light beige cloth seats will be a guaranteed disaster with the intended application of this vehicle.
They all are listening and reading these reviews. Black one will definitely come - might take little time though as they have planned initially for beige- perhaps due to feedback in other segments about liking of beige. Yes , Thailand one with black interiors even with Manual A/C looked better. They might also have better Seats as the ones on present assembled ones are pre-production units - Second Rear is too straight and they will probably incline that bit.

They are also launching 4 Door commercial version shortly but that will be with lower tuned engine from Indian assembly.
Old 9th February 2016, 15:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wish they would have gotten the 1.9L engine. Same power, but newer. Would also have helped skirt 2L regulations.

Price at 15L ex showroom is risky. About 12-13 would have been more realistic, even if it meant forgoing some bells and whistles.

India is not a mature pickup market. At 12L they would have kickstarted a new segment. At 15+, somebody else may take their candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
We never are a satisfied lot, are we?
Quote:
Its not about satisfaction but market dynamics. Kickstarting a new segment in Automobile space is always tough. The weekend jeep segment started because Thar cost 7L ex showroom at launch. If it had been Jeep with its 20L wrangler or something, the segment would never have started.
I think a stripped down version sans the alloys/steering controls/audio can easily be offered 2 lakhs cheaper.
And if they can offer a base version at 9.99 lakhs (wishful thinking though) , that may break the psychological barrier (although the customer might go in buy higher variants).
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 19:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

If i am ever in the market for a Pickup, it will be the V-Cross. Superb package! Hats off Isuzu.

If OTR prices are less than 16-17 Lacs, it has good potential to create a segment on its own.
Old 10th February 2016, 15:32   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I think a stripped down version sans the alloys/steering controls/audio can easily be offered 2 lakhs cheaper.
And if they can offer a base version at 9.99 lakhs (wishful thinking though) , that may break the psychological barrier (although the customer might go in buy higher variants).
We have the arch deck, brilliant vehicle - it costed 9 lakhs OTR. now the dual arch deck will be at least 10 lakhs. So to have the V - cross at 15 with 4X4 and more contemporary looking is not that bad. wish it was all inclusive but the taxes are more on passenger vehicles.

the vehicles show cased at the Expo are the pre-series models & from Thailand - manufacturing to start in April - delivery from July 2016. 15 lakhs ex-showroom Chennai - dont know what that will translate into other states.

It sure did catch a lot of EYEBALLS.
markstewart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 19:08   #26
AWD
BHPian

With rear leaf springs setup, the vehicle is not going to be comfy for those who are not going to put the loading bay to proper use. I've drive the D-Max single cab & it really bumps around at the back without any weight on the loading bay.
Old 12th February 2016, 09:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
With rear leaf springs setup, the vehicle is not going to be comfy for those who are not going to put the loading bay to proper use. I've drive the D-Max single cab & it really bumps around at the back without any weight on the loading bay.
From the cut away pictures, it appears the V Cross has only 2 leaf springs with 1 overload spring, which means the ride will very much in acceptable limits. My Dmax had 4 leaf springs and 3 overload plates (7 in total). So the V Cross will ride very well.

Last edited by Lakshman1645 : 12th February 2016 at 09:53.
Lakshman1645 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 10:24   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshman1645 View Post
From the cut away pictures, it appears the V Cross has only 2 leaf springs with 1 overload spring, which means the ride will very much in acceptable limits. My Dmax had 4 leaf springs and 3 overload plates (7 in total). So the V Cross will ride very well.
Thanks for that Lakshman and only an existing Dmax owner could have made this observation! I am looking at buying the VCross when it is launched in April. I saw the vehicle in the Auto Expo and loved the design and interiors. It was also kept bang opposite the Ford Endeavour stall and the Endeavour is 30L on road while the Vcross should be around 17 Lacs on road and frankly I found the Vcross far better value for money. The interiors are also decent and I have always been enamored by the Pickup segment (Hilux, Ranger, Tundra et all!) There is also tremendous scope for customization on the Vcross which I hope will the local guys will pick up and show some good examples similar to overland4x4.
Check out the customizes Vcross by Overland in this video:

The only point which I am apprehensive about is the service network of Isuzu which is still at a very fledgling state - can you share some of your experience on the service and the ownership?

Thanks!
Old 12th February 2016, 18:11   #29
BHPian

I was seriously impressed with the showcasing by ISUZU @ the Auto Expo 2016. Sharing some pictures :

Isuzu @ Auto Expo 2016 (including the D-Max V-Cross)-isuzu-1.jpg

Isuzu @ Auto Expo 2016 (including the D-Max V-Cross)-isuzu-2.jpg

Isuzu @ Auto Expo 2016 (including the D-Max V-Cross)-isuzu-3.jpg

Isuzu @ Auto Expo 2016 (including the D-Max V-Cross)-isuzu-4.jpg

Isuzu @ Auto Expo 2016 (including the D-Max V-Cross)-isuzu-5.jpg

Isuzu @ Auto Expo 2016 (including the D-Max V-Cross)-isuzu-6.jpg

What is interesting is under the hood and indeed well exhibited :

Isuzu @ Auto Expo 2016 (including the D-Max V-Cross)-isuzu-7.jpg

Isuzu @ Auto Expo 2016 (including the D-Max V-Cross)-isuzu-8.jpg

Isuzu @ Auto Expo 2016 (including the D-Max V-Cross)-isuzu-9.jpg
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 20:45   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
length of leaf springs is also different on V Cross these are longer then regular ones- this was pointed by Isuzu guys at Auto Expo , they are sure about ride being softer more like Qualis which was not bad.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th February 2016 at 21:02.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks