Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2017, 00:54   #61
BHPian

Re: Private jets of Indian industrialists

Not an Indian registered aircraft, but belonging to an Indian industrialist

Gulfstream G550 (A6-YMA) of Lulu group chairman M.A.Yusuffali. The aircraft is stationed in Abudhabi and is UAE registered

Registration code is his initials
Attached Thumbnails
Private jets of Indian industrialists-82653_1490674665.jpg  

crazybiker46 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 06:38   #62
BANNED

That's probably one of the best liveries on a Gulfstream I've ever seen in my opinion. . And I thought Mamooty was the king of big boy toys when it came to Mallus with big toys.
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 10:35   #63
BANNED

Tamil billionaire Kalainithi Maran - first owner of a Global Express 6000 made by Bombardier lost 150 crores in one go as the Chennai floods damaged his plane beyond repair.

Probably the costliest personal luxury transport asset in India - ever - to be damaged in one go so quickly.
Attached Thumbnails
Private jets of Indian industrialists-12313513_989457264428690_7620193917715391194_n.jpg  

D33-PAC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 13:07   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
...lost 150 crores in one go as the Chennai floods damaged his plane beyond repair.

What extent is the damage?

And was the water level so high that it would go above the wheels/struts?

Has the plane been jacked up to this position in the picture you posted?
Old 7th July 2017, 21:55   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

What extent is the damage?

And was the water level so high that it would go above the wheels/struts?

Has the plane been jacked up to this position in the picture you posted?

Extent of the damage is 100%. It has been written of by his company.

And yes - the water level was so high the plane floated and it was carried away. When the water level decreased the plane tilted as the back part is heavier than the front . Nothing was lifted here the same has happened to other planes in Chennai.
D33-PAC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2017, 22:53   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Extent of the damage is 100%. It has been written of by his company.

And yes - the water level was so high the plane floated and it was carried away. When the water level decreased the plane tilted as the back part is heavier than the front . Nothing was lifted here the same has happened to other planes in Chennai.
Noob question: Do these planes have comprehensive insurance coverages? And do those cover "acts of god"?
Old 7th July 2017, 23:01   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Noob question: Do these planes have comprehensive insurance coverages? And do those cover "acts of god"?
No clue. There are people in the aviation business on this forum. Only they can shed light.
Old 18th December 2017, 15:27   #68
BHPian

I'm very surprised that more reasonable aircraft such as the Jet A Diamonds, Archer DX, 172 diesel conversions or experimental RV's / Zeniths etc. aren't gaining more traction in the country. One could build or buy one for the price of a luxury car and they make reasonably good cross country machines. If you build it, you could maintain it yourself and get it checked out by a good A&P mechanic every year/100 hours flight time. Many industrialists don't really need Jets. They could bet door to door civil aviation in reasonably quick cross country machines.

Hopefully Indian skies will open up and give a boost to GA. Flying "low and slow" can be much more enjoyable than cantering around at FL250 or higher.

Last edited by imp! : 18th December 2017 at 15:30.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 15:43   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
I'm very surprised that more reasonable aircraft such as the Jet A Diamonds, Archer DX, 172 diesel conversions or experimental RV's / Zeniths etc. aren't gaining more traction in the country. One could build or buy one for the price of a luxury car and they make reasonably good cross country machines. If you build it, you could maintain it yourself and get it checked out by a good A&P mechanic every year/100 hours flight time. Many industrialists don't really need Jets. They could bet door to door civil aviation in reasonably quick cross country machines.

Hopefully Indian skies will open up and give a boost to GA. Flying "low and slow" can be much more enjoyable than cantering around at FL250 or higher.

When I came to India I looked into continuing flying as I had been doing for the previous years in the USA. I (Tried to) call around, went to visit the flying club in Delhi, searched the net etc. In all I found it hugely complicated to even begin to understand how to get into the air as a PPL. In the end I just gave up, bought a restored a Royal Enfield Bullet and continued flying in the USA and Europe during my international travels.

As to your point, some of these smaller single engine planes are very capable cross country machines. My personal preference would be the Cirrus 22 and I have seen one or two parked out on the ramp on Mumbai airport.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 16:00   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
When I came to India I looked into continuing flying as I had been doing for the previous years in the USA. I (Tried to) call around, went to visit the flying club in Delhi, searched the net etc. In all I found it hugely complicated to even begin to understand how to get into the air as a PPL. In the end I just gave up, bought a restored a Royal Enfield Bullet and continued flying in the USA and Europe during my international travels.
That is extremely unfortunate. Since it has been a few years since you were here, do you think you'd try again? From my understanding, pilots hate flying into and out of India due to the red tape involved, but, as I gather, our civil servants have been trying (maybe failing) to reduce the red tape involved in recent years. If I had the opportunity to figure out GA in India, I'd take it. It would be very rewarding flying in and out of our regional airports. The lack of GA is probably the only thing I regret about moving back to India from the US. Especially before my career enabled me to get a PPL and a plane share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
As to your point, some of these smaller single engine planes are very capable cross country machines. My personal preference would be the Cirrus 22 and I have seen one or two parked out on the ramp on Mumbai airport.
Jeroen
The SR 22 is a very admirable and fast XC machine. Unfortunately it has been maligned as this generations "Doctor Killer"; I'd love to get a PPL someday and hopefully get some time on these machines. In India, 100LL is difficult to find and expensive to boot. I feel diesel engines would be a better bet. I know of one of the SR22 owners who bought it because of the parachute and mainly uses it for luxury lunch runs on the weekends. Such a capable and safe ship when flown within its envelope.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 16:18   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The SR 22 is a very admirable and fast XC machine. Unfortunately it has been maligned as this generations "Doctor Killer"; I'd love to get a PPL someday and hopefully get some time on these machines. In India, 100LL is difficult to find and expensive to boot. I feel diesel engines would be a better bet. I know of one of the SR22 owners who bought it because of the parachute and mainly uses it for luxury lunch runs on the weekends. Such a capable and safe ship when flown within its envelope.
It's an unfortunate label the Cirrus got stuck with very early on. If you check the GA accidents over the last five years, you will find Cirrus aircraft are amongst the most, if not safest, single engine propellor plane.

Cirrus has invested heavilly in developping training and familiarisation courses. It is a very capable plane, but then again, no plane is more capable then it's pilot.

There are still those that believe a Cirrus Pilot is not a real pilot as they rely on a parachute rather then proper stick and rudder skills. Those people dont know what they are talking about.

I had a few friends in the USA who had Cirrus and they used them to run their business all over the USA as well as some private use.

To be honest, I loved the flying in the USA. Relatively affordable and an excellent infrastructure that supports GA big time. In Europe it is hugely expensive and it's cumbersome. So I have done some flying in Europe, just for fun, but in all honesty it just isnt the same as in the USA

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 17:36   #72
BHPian

Not a private jet but a government one. The Bombardier Challenger 605 (VT-GOG) owned and operated by the State of Gujarat.

Private jets of Indian industrialists-52b36a306d7f5255f9499dc29b53599c.jpg
Private jets of Indian industrialists-0ae9c37451ca2f3fa26443d3970e481c.jpg
Pictures via Gaurav Dhanwani

What do you think about the livery? For me it's among the best Challenger 605 paint jobs ever. The winglet emblem is icing on the cake.

Last edited by TSIboy : 15th March 2020 at 17:40.
TSIboy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 10:44   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Many industrialists don't really need Jets.

I suspect they have face problems most don't so their context and usage of a plane is a bit different.

Noticed many HNWI Indians are fleeing abroad at normal airports and are being caught when they're in a tizzy.

Now imagine if your jet would just land at some remote location and you fled to London without the CBI knowing anything .

This is a general comment, I'm sure the regular joe doesn't really every understand the problems that come with extreme wealth, and that a jet does come in handy.

A private jet saved the life of a famed exec named Carlos Ghosn.

For high profile people in legally risky professions I think life wouldn't be possible without it.
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 22:29   #74
BHPian

Two jets owned & operated by the Adani Group.

Hawker 850XP
Private jets of Indian industrialists-3220d81b899f761cbe85d4e2739b66a4.jpg
Private jets of Indian industrialists-7396f55725a77d7253adcf947452738c.jpg

Bombardier Challenger 605
Private jets of Indian industrialists-9c1c36fcda653362107565460aa47b03.jpg
Private jets of Indian industrialists-9a1c48ffa0a5ecfc9054c7b414a55b75.jpg
TSIboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 17:10   #75
BHPian

[Not a Jet, but a Helo]

Ravi Pillai of RP Group has got himself a Airbus H145 Mercedes Benz Style (Custom). Goes by the reg number VT-RGP.

Private jets of Indian industrialists-ravipillahelicopter.jpg

Quote:
B Ravi Pillai, chairman of RP Group of companies, on March 20 became the first Indian to own an Airbus H 145 helicopter, estimated to be worth around Rs 100 crore.

The helicopter was delivered by Airbus in Kovalam and took its inaugural flight from Kovalam to The Raviz Ashtamudi with the RP Group Vice-Chairman on board.

The helicopter is the first Airbus D3 helicopter in India and the first five-bladed H145 helicopter in Asia.

The RP Group has helipads at The Raviz Kadavu in Kozhikode, The Raviz Ashtamudi in Kollam, and The Raviz Kovalam in Thiruvananthapuram.

The helicopter is capable of handling up to seven passengers and two pilots and can land on and take off even at altitudes as high as 20,000 feet above the sea level.

The H145 is the latest member of Airbus' four-tonne-class twin-engine rotorcraft product range.

The 68-year-old Ravi Pillai is worth $2.5 billion and has on his various company rolls about 70,000 employees.
Source 1

The Helecopter was in the news recently for flying down to Guruvayur Temple for performing puja.

Private jets of Indian industrialists-guruvayurhelicopterpoojaravipillai.jpg

Source 2

Private jets of Indian industrialists-exph_1532_186_copyright_airbus_helicopters_marcus_schlaf_2015.jpg

Source
bejoy is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed