Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2017, 21:48   #1
BANNED

Private jets of Indian industrialists

Being a plane enthusiast couldn't help but share ! These belong to the biggest guns of Indian Industry. There are many people with planes in India, from small geospatial mapping companies with radar equipped Cessnas to RIL , which has a inter-continental range plane up in the sky or in another continent at any given time.

I chose to share the intercontinental class industrialists as just one of their planes can cost as much as the market capitalization of a small-start up.

What happens is every big industrialist has an executive team for the Chairman that does deals, they're extended arms and ears and mouth pieces. They fly across the world in an executive capacity while the Chairman ends up being the strategist and his work gets done via his executive team .

If you've ever seen Lord of The Rings, here's an analogy. The Chairman of the Board is Sauron, and the Naz-Gul (the caped henchmen on the horses ride across Mordor trying to find Frodo and the ring) .

Posting pics of the planes that are used to visit sites, or used to ferry middle level management would've meant almost a 100 pictures. I just chose to share the planes used by the Chairman or his executive team (generally the most expensive, most long range, and eye poppingly expensive).

Nothing here costs less than 40 crores. Mukesh Ambani's faction of RIL's planes are not posted as they have too many, and they have each of everything you see here. However Anil Ambani's is posted here.

Note: On an extremely serious level, I can't even comprehend what these planes are used for. My dad worked in the same field as GMR, and on one occasion the Chairman sent his two executives after a government bureaucrat to stop him from reporting an extremely naughty thing they did. The executives were to intercept the government bureaucrat at the airport after he landed, and these guys were flying on the same plane as he was ! And this is not even a big company my father was at, the people that own the planes are way way bigger !

Order:

VT-HGL Ashok Leyland, Dassault Falcon 2000

Private jets of Indian industrialists-vthgl_13992228834.jpg

VT VKR GVK, Dassault Falcon 2000

Private jets of Indian industrialists-vtvkr.jpg

Vt JSK Anil Ambani, Bombardier Global Express

Private jets of Indian industrialists-vtjsk.jpg

VT CPA CYRUS Poonawalla, Gulfstream G550

Private jets of Indian industrialists-28351392752_6a87cf0695_b.jpg

VT SMI Essar Shipping, Gulfstream G550

Private jets of Indian industrialists-vtsmiessarshippinggulfstreamaerospacegvgulfstreamv_planespottersnet_219715.jpg

VT AYV Bajaj, Dassault Falcon 2000

Private jets of Indian industrialists-11754838_10153644110855921_6327178965450190865_o.jpg

VT TMS Ballarpur Industries, Gulfstream G550

Private jets of Indian industrialists-vttms.jpg

VT AML Adani, Embraer 135

Private jets of Indian industrialists-2628362.jpg

VT TAT Ratan Tata's Dassault Falcon 2000

Name:  EXTVTBRKLGLRG.png
Views: 38018
Size:  115.5 KB

VT HDL HDIL, Dassault Falcon 2000

Private jets of Indian industrialists-1272468large.jpg

VT SDK Bharat Forge, Dassault Falcon 900

Private jets of Indian industrialists-1517285large.jpg

N650PL Punj Lloyd, Gulfstream G550

Private jets of Indian industrialists-6315200558_ac15a4cedc_b.jpg

VT KJB Bajaj, Bombardier Global Express

Private jets of Indian industrialists-26301488210_84a8ae7332_b.jpg

VT ONE DLF, Gulfstream G450

Private jets of Indian industrialists-vtoneprivategulfstreamaerospacegivgulfstreamiv_planespottersnet_218239.jpg

VT SBK Bharat Forge, Dassault Falcon 900EX

Private jets of Indian industrialists-15753000854_e04204efab_b.jpg

VT JSB Jindal Steel, Bombardier Global Express

Private jets of Indian industrialists-wef201246.jpg

VT BRK GMR, Dassault Falcon 2000

Private jets of Indian industrialists-gmrvtbrk.jpg

Last pic is of Ratan Tata with his Falcon (Which he flies personally). (VT-TAT)

Private jets of Indian industrialists-cover4a.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Private jets of Indian industrialists-5170635960_731e63989d_b.jpg  

Private jets of Indian industrialists-wef201246.jpg  

Private jets of Indian industrialists-vtoneprivategulfstreamaerospacegivgulfstreamiv_planespottersnet_218239.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th February 2017 at 12:38. Reason: Correcting VT SBK as per 'Elegant Pig's post on the next page :)
D33-PAC is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 09:01   #2
BANNED

re: Private jets of Indian industrialists

I wonder why Wipro and Infosys have no planes ! Even TCS for that matter. RIL has 20-30 planes and TCS has none despite being bigger in market cap.
D33-PAC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 09:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

For whatever business reasons, these aircrafts are registered under different business names like for example, Cyrus Poonawala's Gulfstream can be rented from Poonawala Aviation link.. I clearly remember seeing similar portals for almost everyone. DGCA maintains a list of airline registrations that can be searched for and you'll get to know the companies that are used to register these planes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Nothing here costs less than 40 crores. Mukesh Ambani's faction of RIL's planes are not posted as they have too many, and they have each of everything you see here. However Anil Ambani's is posted here.
I believe you've covered them here: .

Another list you are missing is Force motors. They have atleast 4-5 planes parked at Pune airport. I have pics somewhere in my hard drive that I'll share later.
moralfibre is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 10:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Another list you are missing is Force motors. They have atleast 4-5 planes parked at Pune airport. I have pics somewhere in my hard drive that I'll share later.
Pune Airport bans photography for national security reasons right? I also have seen at least the Bajaj (and few others which i dont recall now) plane there but never summoned courage to sneak in a snap even though i wanted to.
rohitoasis is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 10:25   #5
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Didn't Keshav Punj have a certain all black jet?
Old 22nd February 2017, 10:33   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Pune Airport bans photography for national security reasons right? I also have seen at least the Bajaj (and few others which i dont recall now) plane there but never summoned courage to sneak in a snap even though i wanted to.
That's correct. Pictures were saved off the internet. It is illegal to click pictures at the airport because it serves as an IAF base first and commercial airport later.
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 10:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
I wonder why Wipro and Infosys have no planes ! Even TCS for that matter. RIL has 20-30 planes and TCS has none despite being bigger in market cap.
Not an expert but none of the IT software service providers have one AFAIK and the reason is, it works cheaper for them to travel business class instead. Adding to it the model in which a firm like RIL works and a software service industry works is different. Service industries mostly have their exec teams on-site/on-shore itself and they do not do intercontinental travel as much as the exec team in RIL might do. Most of the execs have businesses coming in from US and to some extent from Europe where they can easily hop on a flight and make a trip at a fraction of the cost of having and maintaining a private jet.

OT - Ambanis also have a status to maintain. None of the IT COEs/Chairman's or other top ups live in something even close to Antilla
centaur is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 11:08   #8
BHPian

Why do all planes have VT in the beginning ? What does it mean ?
girimajiananth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 11:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Interesting read.
Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Why do all planes have VT in the beginning ? What does it mean ?
Viceroy Territory

Source https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-mean...of-an-airplane

Quote:
VT is the prefix used for all commercial airlines belonging to India. VTA was a suffix issued to India pre 1928 when it was a British colony by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) responsible for code allocation. In 1928 the VTA code was changed to VT -XXX when new codes were issued.

In 1947 when India was declared independent which happened along with Partition and formation of Pakistan, the Newly formed country Pakistan was issued new Aviation code AP-AAA to AP-ZZZ for commercial planes. India retained its existing code of VT which meant Viceroy Territory.

India has requested for new code as was promised by efforts from Aviation Ministry and Ministry of External affairs. The request of new code was not accepted as codes desired by Indian government were not available. Our desired nomenclature is IN,BH (As in Bharat) or HI( As in Hindustan) and will not be available in near future as they have been exhausted.
kpzen is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 11:21   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For those interested in the topic, here are 3 related threads:

Reliance Jets

Gulfstream G650 in India

Impressions - Bombardier
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 11:46   #11
BANNED

Re: Private jets of Indian industrialists

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Service industries mostly have their exec teams on-site/on-shore itself and they do not do intercontinental travel as much as the exec team in RIL might do. Most of the execs have businesses coming in from US and to some extent from Europe where they can easily hop on a flight and make a trip at a fraction of the cost of having and maintaining a private jet.
Bingo!

This could be it.

I am sure there is sanity in all the madness. RIL's business is very live and intense nothing can be delayed. I know in the 90s they even airlifted parts for their factories when the matter became serious. I remember Mukesh Ambani clearly explaining in Outlook or some other magazine that it was a matter of convenience and never to show off.

But then again it's all a drop in the ocean for Don Mukesh ! When you own the world's largest oil refinery and a single business transaction results in a 100 crore profit, life is just too short and your income is just too high to fret on petty things like whether the number of planes you have is sane .
D33-PAC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 11:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
For whatever business reasons, these aircrafts are registered under different business names like for example, Cyrus Poonawala's Gulfstream can be rented from Poonawala Aviation
Well, a few obvious ones being able to charge them against revenues as a cost at the time of purchase, plus charging depreciation on an annual basis to save on tax. Additionally, like yachts, it is common for aircraft to be leased / time-shared as an additional revenue stream. Come to think of it, the rich already are playing Airbnb with their toys.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 23rd February 2017 at 12:02. Reason: fixing quote
Annibaddh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 13:57   #13
BHPian

I have a question i have been wanting to ask since yesterday.

In Mumbai Airport we have the Hangars for Reliance and Singhanias.

I remember once seeing a Jet Black airplane near one of these. Could not catch any other detail other than this fading memory. Anyone else has seen such a plane and any idea whom it belongs to.

I absolutely loved the shade of the plane, In fact i love the UPS carriers also for the same reason. They just look so gorgeous in Black.
Old 23rd February 2017, 14:12   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
I remember once seeing a Jet Black airplane near one of these. Could not catch any other detail other than this fading memory. Anyone else has seen such a plane and any idea whom it belongs to.
See post #5 in this thread.

I wonder how having an all-black plane affects temperatures?
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 16:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
For whatever business reasons, these aircrafts are registered under different business names like for example, Cyrus Poonawala's Gulfstream can be rented from Poonawala Aviation link.. I clearly remember seeing similar portals for almost everyone. DGCA maintains a list of airline registrations that can be searched for and you'll get to know the companies that are used to register these planes.
The reason is actually 100% customs exemption. If you import a plane for private usage you will pay customs duty upon it. If however the plane is being imported for NSOP (Non Scheduled Operator Permit) use then its customs duty exempt. So for example if 'A' Company is the parent then "A Aviation" buys the plane. 'A' then rents the plane from "A Aviation" at rate (which has to be published) and pays the bill. Its a neat round-trip of money and also gets you extra revenue when the planes are not required. I know of a certain company that removes the seats and flies its jets as cargo carriers when the plane is not to be used for a long time.
shady_lawyer is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks