Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2019, 06:18   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Missiles of India | EDIT: MIRV Ballistic missile on page 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinSam View Post
...will A-SAT spawn a new generation of satellites that can dodge incoming A-SATs? This could be relatively easy to achieve given the sensors on board a satellite and the availability of thrusters for propulsion?
ads11 who is a very well read member has given a lucid answer to your question. To add to what he has written - a satellite being designed to evade a killer rocket is not an economically feasible alternative in terms of weight, sheer cost and scientific resources to be devoted to it. Allow me to share an analogy. A radar station, to detect incoming enemy warplanes, could theoretically be built to evade an incoming anti-radar missile but it is not. Because the weight, space, systems and cost penalties for that one time evasion will be a several times more than the investment to make it perform the useful functions it was set up for. Or to explain it further with another analogy - you could make a house that could evade an incoming bomb hit but it will take away so much of what that house must do as its core functions 99.9999999% of the time. Hence it is far cheaper to have multiple satellites and natural redundancy. Evading something that is hurtling at you at say 6000 metres per second is not easy - how do you know till the last few seconds that it is coming at you and not your neighbor 100 kms away or that the incoming killer rocket is not capable of maneuvering in the sky to track you as you move?. You may put that satellite in a higher orbit and loose all the functions it is sent up to perform as a satellites functioning is directly linked to its position & altitude.
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2019, 11:59   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinSam View Post
This could be relatively easy to achieve given the sensors on board a satellite and the availability of thrusters for propulsion? Or has this already been implemented?
Adding to what V.Narayan sir has already written, check what some of our GSATs and GISAT (soon to be launched) have as capabilities. The solution has already been found by ISRO (ISRO is not the first though) is to put your eyes and ears (this part is bit hard though) in the Geostationary orbit i.e. ~36000 Kms away from earth. The equipment needed to monitor (optics, radar etc) have a different dimension to that of what is currently used in the Low Earth Orbit.

Nowhere is safe, it is always a cat and mouse game where either the adversary is trying to catch up or we are trying to match their capabilities.

Cool onboard view of the C45 launch and seperation of payloads:

https://www.isro.gov.in/pslv-c45-emi...rd-camera-view

Check this out - The list of upcoming "dual" use satellites:

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...?homepage=true

Quote:
Launches of some earth observation satellites advanced
Between now and early 2020, the space above India looks set to see an unprecedented rush of satellites meant solely or mainly for the country’s military.

Starting May, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) plans to send up at least eight earth observation (EO) satellites of varied hues and at the rate of almost one a month.

Communication satellite GSAT-32 is also in the offing next year to replace GSAT-6A, which was lost in a failed launch and was meant to mainly serve the ground forces. Until now, such defence-use satellites were spaced out over a few years; or were put up only once a year as in the case of the Cartosat-2 series high-resolution imaging satellites.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 3rd April 2019 at 12:09. Reason: grammer
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 01:16   #93
BHPian

Coming back to missiles per se, here's something I found on TWZ about anti ship missiles for the new helicopters we're hoping to get for the IN. From what I recall the Naval Strike Missile is much touted, so this could be rather a potent addition to our chronically suffering naval rotary wing units. I still think anything to do with ASW (anti sub warfare) needs to be rushed through post haste but this is handy too -

Quote:
Looks like the Indian MH-60's will be getting NSM. I wonder if the USN will do likewise to replace its helicopter-launched Penguin missiles?

"The Indian Navy appears poised to become the first customer for the Kongsberg Naval Strike Missile (NSM) in a helicopter-launched application.

According to US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) documentation, the missile will be integrated into Lockheed Martin/Sikorsky MH-60R multimission helicopters that India is looking to acquire under a Foreign Military Sale (FMS) case."

See:

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/245...pters_to_India

&

https://www.janes.com/article/87653/...0r-helicopters

=========================

More military news:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ry/mOUTDFG0b4g

The NSM alongside its cousin cruise missile that's been in the news recently for Japan adding it to their F35's (the concern being cruise missiles are overtly offensive and Article 4 of the pacifist constitution and so on and so forth..)
ads11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 15:17   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

DRDO estimates the ASAT debris will burn out in 45 days

https://indianexpress.com/article/in...hakti-5662173/
Quote:
DRDO estimates the ASAT debris will decay and burn out in 45 days. Says they planned the mission keeping in mind the safety of space assets of all nations and the ISS. And they kept it low enough in the orbit to ensure swift burn out. Says DRDO is in constant touch with NASA to ensure co-ordination & safety. DRDO says their ASAT missile can hit a target out to 1000 kms altitude. India deliberately chose an altitude of 300 kms for this test to ensure decay & burn out of the debris. China's 2007 test was at 800 kms where air pressure is very very marginal and a lot of that debris is still out there in space.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 00:21   #95
Senior - BHPian

Detailed technical presentation by DRDO. Highlights the technical specialities and the complexities involved within this mission.

Highlight to me is that the range is 1000 Kms which is the whole Low Earth Orbit and the entry point into Medium Earth Orbit (where most GPS/Baideou/Galileo operate). This means with a minimum upgrade of the launch vehicle even the enemy's navigation satellite can be made a target! Very proud of the Boys!

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1OwGWkaAWmpGQ?t=29s
AlphaKilo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 12:24   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone know if India can now "knock out" China's satellites which help guide their much famed carrier killer Dong Feng missiles? I've read about how China has the means to use their satellites to guide these missiles in their terminal dive against aircraft carrier strike groups. I wonder if India (or the US) have the ability to incapacitate these satellites of China.
Old 15th April 2019, 12:39   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Does anyone know if India can now "knock out" China's satellites which help guide their much famed carrier killer Dong Feng missiles? I've read about how China has the means to use their satellites to guide these missiles in their terminal dive against aircraft carrier strike groups. I wonder if India (or the US) have the ability to incapacitate these satellites of China.
Members, @Aphakilo, @SmartCat and @ads11 will be able to answer this better. But I'll chime in my two paisa. The US definitely possess this capability. India has demonstrated that it might be able to do it if war came. We will need to demo a satellite interception out to 2000 kms+ to get fully counted as a threat.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 15th April 2019 at 12:41.
Old 7th June 2019, 15:00   #98
Team-BHP Support

The Brahmos success story in numbers:

Initial investment: Rs. 1,300 cr
Cumulative revenues generated: Rs. 40,000 crores
Indirect and direct tax contributed to exchequer: Rs. 4,000 crores
Number of business partners: 200
Number of people employed, directly and indirectly: 20,000

Source:
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/brah...re-ceo-2049533
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 09:38   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

India to buy US missile system to shield New Delhi

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...campaign=cppst

Dateline 10th June 2019

According to a Times of India report, India will soon buy the National Advanced Surface to Air Missile System-II from the US. The report says that the advanced system will be used along with Russian and Israeli missiles to form a formidable security shield for Delhi. The report says that by end of August, USA is likely to send final draft of the ‘letter of acceptance.’ The deal, if finalized, will cost around $1 billion to India’s national exchequer.

The National Advanced Surface to Air Missile System-II is the same system that is being used by the US for protecting Washington DC since 2005. The system is in use with seven countries and has been integrated into the US’ National Capital Region’s air defense system since 2005. In addition to the US, it is in service in Norway, Finland, Spain, The Netherlands and one undisclosed country.

I thought the S-400 Triumf was meant to provide this cover at least to a limited extent. But analyzing this is difficult with the limited public information.
Old 10th June 2019, 10:30   #100
Senior - BHPian

We buying US missiles is all media speculation. The S400 is what we will buy and there is no doubt about it. The S400 is just better that anything the US can give us. The simple reason is that the US geography surrounded by vast stretches of oceans on either side is a huge natural defence which never needed development of an excellent AAM for the US. But Russia which shares close proximity to NATO countries has always needed a good AAM shield against NATO warplanes. The S400 is really feared by the NATO forces and had it not been so good, Turkey would have never gone against big daddy USA to buy it and risk being alienated by the NATO.

Ofcourse USA will have to be compensated by something else if we get that S400 system. So the F21 and additional drones is very much a possibility in the future to placate Uncle and calm him down.

Last edited by SPARKled : 10th June 2019 at 10:33.
SPARKled is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 18:13   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
The S400 is really feared by the NATO forces and had it not been so good, Turkey would have never gone against big daddy USA to buy it and risk being alienated by the NATO.
I find this perplexing. Turkey is already part of NATO! Why on earth would they need something that their own treaty allies train to strike against?! Let's not beat about the bush here. However good the S-400 purportedly is, and admittedly if it weren't half decent you wouldn't be seeing so much Congressional disapproval, Turkey buying it is entirely down to Erdogan. He's still incredibly salty/bitter (however you wish to call it) about the coup and the fact that the US wouldn't budge an inch on Gulen's extradition. To add insult to injury the US & Allies teamed up with Kurds in Syria (who the Turkish govt would mow down if they could). Enter Putin. He sweeps in and offers the S-400. A jilted Turkey buys it to give the proverbial finger to the US and guess what? They're seriously about to be booted from the F-35 programme they've been party too for years. Not to mention talk of expelling them from NATO (they can pretty much forget about joining the EU at this point - especially after ordering re-elections for Istanbul mayor)!

So, while I agree you're right, if we got the S-400 we'd need to placate Congress, especially considering they're drafting up a bill to exclude Turkey as we speak. I dunno how it would affect other deals, but maybe India's history of policy independence (the Third Way essentially) might come in handy as we re-enter a bipolar world order. We can absolutely forget about getting the F-35.

PS: I think you meant SAM instead of AAM

PPS: https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...e-f-35-program

Further reading for Turkey getting kicked off the F-35 programme

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
India to buy US missile system to shield New Delhi
..I thought the S-400 Triumf was meant to provide this cover at least to a limited extent. But analyzing this is difficult with the limited public information.
I'd imagine using an S-400 for that purpose would be rather overkill. It's mainly going to held in our air defence framework especially along the two main land fronts. This US system seems a short range area air defence system, the way I see it, it's the equivalent of a CIWS (close in weapons system) for a city sized area rather than a vessel.
ads11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 19:00   #102
Senior - BHPian

Its really bad that we are stuck between US and Russia. Both want us to buy their weapons or else ..... :(

Relations with Russia is no longer based on past relationship. Its all about now and money and what one person at the helm in Russia feels. Defense business as a whole is poisoning the world.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 21:50   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^^^
I am not entirely at ease with buying equipment from the Americans. They have a 55 year track record with us of mutual weak trust. One never knows when spares etc are choked off and under what pretext. And with Trumpistan it could be more mercurial. Though while things are normal they are a much more co-operative lot today than the Russians. Unless we develop our own weapons this 'between a rock and a hard place' conundrum will persist. But who can say this may just be my bias as a child of the Indo-Soviet halycon days.
Old 29th June 2019, 19:31   #104
Team-BHP Support

Posting here since we don't have a thread on artillery. Indian army test fired BM-21 Grad Multiple Rocket Launcher System near Nashik. Turn up the speakers volume!

SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 08:46   #105
Team-BHP Support

Video of Nag anti-tank missile test at Pokhran has been released:
https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...425-2019-07-19

Also, Varunastra torpedo has been inducted into Indian Navy. Bharat Dynamics received a Rs. 1,100 crore order for Varunastra Torpedoes.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/69780343.cms

Last edited by SmartCat : 20th July 2019 at 08:50.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks