Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2020, 15:25   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Missiles of India | EDIT: MIRV Ballistic missile on page 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads11 View Post
Above the water air interface, just how blind are subs operating? Do subs have any sort of small (even to be discrete) and expendable buoy type devices that can be reeled out to the surface to give them ears above water so to speak?
In a different sort of a way that is what the periscope and other aerials in the fin are for - passive and active radar, ECM + ESM aerials, passive infra-red too. Fixed, not reeled, but serving the same purpose from about 9 to 10 metres below - poke your nose up quietly and sniff around. The problem with reeled devices is that as the sub cruises along they could start oscillating {and hence resonating} at their organic frequency!!!! - a kind of whistling along as you cruise the balmy seas at 300 metres

Quote:
I can imagine that sounds of say a helicopter would be hard to discern below the water line and especially so with a high flying Orion or Poseidon.
If you are within say 10 to 20 metres depth your passive hydrophones can pick up a loud noise, from above in the air, a short distance away like a Tu-142M droning along. The hydrophones referred to here is not the passive sonar but the string of hydrophones subs have along their hull to listen for a measure self-noise. But a sub is rather blind to what goes on in the air. Even if a ship is at close quarters while the sub can hear it it could still misjudged range and bearing as evidenced by the number of occasions subs have surfaced and crashed into a ship. Happens in naval exercises occasionally.

Sorry, strayed off topic quite a bit.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 6th October 2020 at 15:48.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 15:50   #137
Senior - BHPian

Could it be that somewhere a 'Brahmos Core' is being repurposed?

TU 142 - those contrarotating props were noisy. The PR warriors of the west had a field day with it.

Sutripta
Old 6th October 2020, 19:49   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
In a different sort of a way that is what the periscope and other aerials in the fin are for - passive and active radar, ECM + ESM aerials, passive infra-red too...
Thanks for that. I did stray a bit here. I did figure that whenever they'd up scope they would get their best chance at seeing and hearing what's happening above the waves. Though from what I remember submariners are loathe to spend time at periscope depth, especially with it above water, something about the distinct wake signature of the scope being enough of a warning sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
TU 142 - those contrarotating props were noisy. The PR warriors of the west had a field day with it.
I mean even in video clips of it, the drone is incredibly loud and I usually tend to find that you lose some of the amplitude volume wise when recording something like that, as opposed to experiencing it in real life.
Old 6th October 2020, 19:57   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though from what I remember submariners are loathe to spend time at periscope depth, especially with it above water, something about the distinct wake signature of the scope being enough of a warning sign.
I think the wake part stopped being important after WW2.
A sub that close to the surface is going to get detected (MAD, local change in ocean level, etc) if someone is actually looking for a sub.

Sutripta
Old 6th October 2020, 20:11   #140
BHPian

(DRDO) is preparing for yet another missile test, an 800 km-range subsonic ‘Nirbhay’ cruise missile, which is likely to take place by the end of October .

Since September, the DRDO has carried out multiple missile tests. The first test was that of the Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle (HSTDV) on 7 September

This was followed by a test of the nuclear-capable ‘Shaurya’ missile on 3 October, and the supersonic missile-assisted release of a torpedo on 5 October.

In the interim, a different version of the in-service surface-to-surface supersonic cruise missile Brahmos was also tested on 30 September. The DRDO has also carried out other tests, including one for the indigenous Anti-Tank Guided Missile (ATGM)

Source : https://theprint.in/defence/drdo-rea...irbhay/518116/
ani21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 17:16   #141
BHPian

India today successfully test-fired the 'Rudram' Anti-Radiation Missile, developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), from a Sukhoi-30 fighter aircraft off the east coast
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/78573917.cms
Attached Thumbnails
The Missiles of India | EDIT: MIRV Ballistic missile on page 16-ej4kakcvoaaz1y_.jpg  

The Missiles of India | EDIT: MIRV Ballistic missile on page 16-ej4kaknu4aevpwj.jpg  

The Missiles of India | EDIT: MIRV Ballistic missile on page 16-ej4kakqvkaami0o.jpg  

Last edited by SmartCat : 9th October 2020 at 18:43. Reason: Added news link
ani21 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 18:47   #142
Team-BHP Support

Looks like DRDO's new motto is

"A missile launch a day keeps the Chinese at bay!"

Video of missile test:

Last edited by SmartCat : 9th October 2020 at 20:20.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 23:06   #143
Team-BHP Support

Woaah, this is big news!

India now working on 1,500-km range BrahMos supersonic cruise missile
https://theprint.in/defence/india-no...issile/550924/

Quote:
The Army Tuesday carried out a ‘live missile test’ of the 290-plus km range BrahMos missile, but efforts are on to extend its range to 400, 800 and 1,500 km.
Since Brahmos is essentially based on P-800 Oniks/Yakhont anti-ship supersonic cruise missile with a range of 800 kms, extending Brahmos range to 400 km & 800 km is not such a big deal. But 1,500 km range extension means lots of changes to the missile.

The Missiles of India | EDIT: MIRV Ballistic missile on page 16-russian_p800_oniks_cruise_missile.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 08:25   #144
BHPian

Wait, wasn't that original range a consequence of some preexisting arms control treaty? I can't remember which one but the only one that stands to mind is the MTCR.

All that being said 1500km is a hefty range increase for sure. Just wonder where exactly they hope to fling this from, because it's really pushing it in terms of stand off range and the potential targets. Plus it's a chunky old missile as it is, a 1500km variant would surely require modifications to the VLS cells for ships and also the dorsal mounting point on the Su-30. Obviously I'm probably overthinking this in my head but the question remains. If it's not too heavy for the Su 30, but too big to fit in that central station, what platform does that leave for an air launched version?
Old 25th November 2020, 08:36   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wait, wasn't that original range a consequence of some preexisting arms control treaty? I can't remember which one but the only one that stands to mind is the MTCR.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missil...Control_Regime

Since India signed up in 2015, there is no longer 300 km restriction on range of missiles "sold" by Russia to India. Now, Yakhont/Oniks weighs exactly as much as Brahmos - 3 tons - and it already has a range of 800 kms. I think Brahmos 800 km missile is just minor software & guidance update.

Quote:
I'm probably overthinking this in my head but the question remains. If it's not too heavy for the Su 30, but too big to fit in that central station, what platform does that leave for an air launched version?
Before development of 1,500 km version, there will be 1.5 ton variant called Brahmos M.

The Missiles of India | EDIT: MIRV Ballistic missile on page 16-800pxbrahmos_and_brahmosm_size_comparison.jpg

The current air-launched Brahmos weighs 2.5 tons.

Last edited by SmartCat : 25th November 2020 at 08:43.
Old 25th November 2020, 13:50   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post

Before development of 1,500 km version, there will be 1.5 ton variant called Brahmos M.
If I am not mistaken, there were plans to integrate the Brahmos M with smaller jets like Rafale and Tejas while modifying the Su-30s to carry three Brahmos Ms at a time. Cannot find the original article or where I read it though.
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 00:48   #147
Team-BHP Support

All the new missiles developed by DRDO, in one pic:

The Missiles of India | EDIT: MIRV Ballistic missile on page 16-epnsb5duwaa0hor.jpg

Missile identification by Twitter handle @DefenceDecode
Old 31st December 2020, 14:01   #148
BHPian

Turns out the govt. has finally given approval for the export of the Akash SAMs with the primary countries showing interest including the UAE, Vietnam and the Philippines who are some of India's closest allies right now. Overall, at least a dozen countries are interested.

The export of the Brahmos and Akash missiles have been on the cards for years now with Vietnam and the Philippines being interested. However, both of them had delayed the purchase due to the high costs (despite India offering a line of credit) and cheaper options from Russia.

Source

Quote:
New Delhi: The Narendra Modi government Wednesday approved export of the indigenously manufactured Akash surface-to-air missile system.

The decision was taken at a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security headed by Prime Minister Modi.

The government has also created a high-ranking committee comprising the defence minister, the external affairs minister and the national security advisor for faster export approvals.

Sources in the defence and security establishment told ThePrint that at least a dozen foreign countries, including the UAE, Vietnam and Philippines, have shown interest in acquiring the Akash system.

“After its induction in the Services, interest is shown in Akash missile by many friendly countries during International Exhibitions/Def Expo/Aero India. The Cabinet approval will facilitate Indian manufactures to participate in Request for Information/Request for Proposal issued by various countries,” a statement by the defence ministry noted.

“This Committee would authorise subsequent exports of major indigenous platforms to various countries. The Committee would also explore various available options including the Government-to-Government route,” the statement added.

It also noted that the export version of Akash will be different from the system currently deployed with the Indian armed forces.
dragracer567 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 13:36   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

India to start testing, 160km range Astra-II Air-to-Air Missile, this month

Quote:
India could test its Astra Mark-II Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air missile (BVRAAM) for the first time in the next two weeks. Astra Mark-II, a new version of the Astra Mark-I, India’s first indigenous beyond visual range air-to-air missile, has a range of around 160 km. Astra Mark-I has been test-fired multiple times, and has been integrated with Su-30 MKI. Apart from the Su-30 MKIs, it will be integrated with Tejas Mark-1A (deal for 83 signed earlier this month at Aero India) and upgraded MiG-29s of the Air Force.The 110 km range Astra Mark-I has cleared all tests and ordered in large numbers — 248 missiles, including 48 for the Indian Navy — from state-owned Bharat Dynamics Limited.

This trial of the missile is likely to be conducted from a ground launcher being set up at Launch Complex III of Integrated Test Range, located in Balasore, Odisha. The trial is being carried out to test the missile’s ballistic performance. Astra Mark-II will be tested from a fighter only after the safe release of the missile from the ground launcher and its propulsion and navigation systems have been validated.

Astra Mark-II will have improved jammer resistance and an indigenous seeker. The missile will be equipped with a dual-pulse rocket motor, critical for its long range. A solid fuel ducted ramjet or SFDR propulsion system, which will take the missile’s performance to the next level, was tested in February 2019. SFDR propulsion, being developed in partnership with Russia, is critical for the missile’s performance in the terminal phase of its flight towards the target. Meteor missile, which India has procured with Rafale fighters, also depends on its ramjet propulsion for “more energy to maneuver during the endgame of the engagement”.

DRDO plans to complete the development of the missile over the next two years.
https://swarajyamag.com/news-brief/a...the-first-time

Specifications of Astra Mark-I

Guidance: Mid-course: Fibre-optic gyro inertial navigation system with mid-course update via datalink. Terminal: Active radar homing

Range: 110 kms

Ceiling: 20,000 metres {~66,000 feet}

Speed: Mach 4.5

Weight: 154 kgs

Length: 357 cms

Warhead: 15kgs pre-fragmented, proximity fuse activated

The Missiles of India | EDIT: MIRV Ballistic missile on page 16-astra-su30.jpg
Astra Mark-I, under test, on a Su-30MKI outer wing pylon

The Missiles of India | EDIT: MIRV Ballistic missile on page 16-astra_mk1-flight.jpg
Astra Mark -I in flight, artists rendition

The Missiles of India | EDIT: MIRV Ballistic missile on page 16-astrakillrange1024x555.png
Astra Mark-II, artists rendition
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 09:16   #150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
K-9 152mm Self Propelled Howitzer.

We are only acquiring 100!!
And we’ve (L&T Defence; shipbuilding is now a part of Defence) delivered the 100th and the last K9 Vajra to the Indian Army on 18th Feb.

The Chief of the Army Staff M M Naravane had come for the flag-off ceremony at Hazira. We attended the ceremony through a live-stream and he got into a howitzer and it was driven through a small circuit which demonstrated some water wading capability too.

Here is the official pic.

The Missiles of India | EDIT: MIRV Ballistic missile on page 16-c6042cc3bedb4b19b5fc2076120007b0.jpeg

Here’s the one from Jan 2020 when the 51st K9 was flagged off by the RM:

The Missiles of India | EDIT: MIRV Ballistic missile on page 16-cad6c5c99a21419597decc6b7a613cbf.jpeg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th February 2021 at 09:19.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks