Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2018, 21:35   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Horrific Amritsar train accident - Over 60 dead

Quote:
Proactive measures such as fencing off the space between the ground and the tracks,
Again, if I remember rightly, there was a wall. I also seem to remember a 2-metre wall. That is fairly proactive!

I also have the sense (and this could be my imagination) that people did not move from the ground to the tracks.
Old 25th October 2018, 03:33   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Again, if I remember rightly, there was a wall. I also seem to remember a 2-metre wall. That is fairly proactive!

I also have the sense (and this could be my imagination) that people did not move from the ground to the tracks.
Organisers, in one of the video, infact can be heard saying to the crowd "... you stay put even if 500 trains pass" but again in absence of a system there is no way to put liability on a party.

2 meter wall does not absolve them from culpability. You are thinking in hindsight in which 60 people were needlessly killed but the system or the procedures that are supposed to be in place should prevent from any injuries or incidents, let alone deaths. Again its the absence of a system. You cannot prove who was lax.
Old 25th October 2018, 10:57   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Sir, that is certainly not true. Fake news doing rounds on social media. The loco pilot is in the custody of Punjab Railways undergoing investigations/ recording statements. However I wish, he is given proper counselling to overcome this mental trauma and character assassination by a few fronts.
I was also doubtful, but there was a pic of a body dangling on a noose on a few places,

I also agree that counseling is highly desirable. I pity the chap, in controversy, for really no fault of his own.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 10:27   #94
BHPian

Why does it so happen that an accident where over 60 people lost their lives just vanishes from all the news channels and newspapers within a week.

I have recently seen no major followup by the media in print or Television, especially where the CM of Punjab has ordered a 4 week deadline to close investigation.
damanbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 11:52   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damanbir View Post
Why does it so happen that an accident where over 60 people lost their lives just vanishes from all the news channels and newspapers within a week.

I have recently seen no major followup by the media in print or Television, especially where the CM of Punjab has ordered a 4 week deadline to close investigation.
Is that a rhetorical question or you don't really know?

If it's the latter, then google for population of India, per capita income etc. and you'd know.
Old 4th November 2018, 09:58   #96
Senior - BHPian

While I pass my sincere condolences to the family who have lost their loved ones, I also empathize the condition of the loco pilot who might have or still going through an mental ordeal for eternity after reading the news on the paper or tv who are writing headlines showing as if the train ran over people intentionally rather than portraying it as human negligence on those who were standing senseless on the tracks.

Last edited by gururajrv : 4th November 2018 at 09:59.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 11:22   #97

This was an unfortunate accident. May the departed souls rest in peace.

As much as it may seem that railways have been callous, we have to remember that the loco pilot's responsibility is towards his train and his passengers. His train runs on rails placed on land owned by Indian Railways. When any person crosses these tracks at other than designated locations (such as FOB or an overpass), he is trespassing.

We have a cavalier attitude towards things/activities best approached with caution. Would you hold a picnic in middle of a national highway? I suspect noone in his sane mind would. Then why would you be on train tracks expecting all will end well?

It is our responsibility to ensure our safety in normal course of events. When we forget this, we pay for it.

I hope the loco pilot is able to rise above this tragedy and lead a normal life.
Satdeep is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks