Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2022, 12:34   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vande Bharat Express (Train 18) - Made-In-India Engineless Train

For train enthusiasts, Vanda Bharat 2.0 rake has reached Chandigarh from ICF Chennai. Here is the tentative testing schedule:

It will initially be tested on Chandigarh - New Morinda - Sahnewal, with speeds being progressively increased from 15 kmph to 110 kmph.

After that, it will be tested on Kota - Nagda section at 180 kmph.

https://infra.economictimes.indiatim...rials/93649709

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd September 2022 at 13:06. Reason: Corrected name of Stations.
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 17:52   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
For train enthusiasts, Vanda Bharat 2.0 rake has reached Chandigarh from ICF Chennai.
Is this rake different from the recent dispatch of rake with WR markings?

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd September 2022 at 13:06. Reason: Quoted post trimmed.
Old 23rd August 2022, 10:25   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Is this rake different from the recent dispatch of rake with WR markings ?
Its the same rake. The rake will have to undergo testing. Post approvals, they'll dispatch the next rake.
Old 24th August 2022, 10:57   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Its the same rake. The rake will have to undergo testing. Post approvals, they'll dispatch the next rake.
Thanks Binai, just curious bit it seemed a bit illogical. The manufacturing is in ICF in TN but the test has to be done all the way in north India for a rake which is marked for WR. Seems a bit of tedious exercise
Old 24th August 2022, 14:11   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Binai, just curious bit it seemed a bit illogical. The manufacturing is in ICF in TN but the test has to be done all the way in north India for a rake which is marked for WR. Seems a bit of tedious exercise
Don't they send cars manufactured in Chennai for homologation to Pune? It's the same logic - the rake has been taken to the northern part of the country for high speed trials.

This is a one time trial for approval of the new design. Certain things have changed from the earlier rakes (mainly the propulsion systems and I hear the suspension system is also reworked) - and that requires certification from the Railway Design & Standards Organisation (RDSO). Once this rake clears that, or the modifications they suggest are implemented, newer rakes can be manufactured and directly delivered to the allotted zone.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th August 2022 at 04:52. Reason: Toning down
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 14:18   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Adding to the post above, the high speed trial cannot be done on any random section. The track has to be certified for those speeds and those sections are up north because of mainly straight flat land.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 16:09   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Don't they send cars manufactured in Chennai for homologation to Pune? Its the same logic - the rake has been taken to the northern part of the country for high speed trials.

This is a one time trial for approval of the new design. Certain things have changed from the earlier rakes (mainly the propulsion systems and I hear the suspension system is also reworked) - and that requires certification from the Railway Design & Standards Organisation (RDSO). Once this rake clears that, or the modifications they suggest are implemented, newer rakes can be manufactured and directly delivered to the allotted zone.
Sending 2-3 cars for homolgation is an entirely different point than sending a whole train ! My post was simply intended to say that WR already has some track which is tested at higher speeds, was the TALGO rake not tested in WR territory ?

SO it seems that the NR has track which is certified at higher speeds than WR !

Regards
Diesel

Last edited by Aditya : 25th August 2022 at 04:52. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 25th August 2022, 09:51   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sending 2-3 cars for homolgation is an entirely different point than sending a whole train ! My post was simply intended to say that WR already has some track which is tested at higher speeds, was the TALGO rake not tested in WR territory ?

SO it seems that the NR has track which is certified at higher speeds than WR !

Regards
Diesel
The car is a unit. Here the entire train is a unit. You sent the entire car for testing, not the engine, axles, wheels, body, doors, seats, etc seperately. Similarly, in this case the entire train needs to go for testing.

TALGO coaches were tried almost across the country. In this case, the overall tech is already proven and approved. Testing is happening for the new propulsion system and improved suspension. You need tracks that can do this kind of speeds, with comparatively less traffic.

The train is a property of the Indian Railways - and the railways are testing it within its network on a route that is capable of such routes. I fail to see faults in the railways doing that, except some vague emotion of "WR" train going to the north for testing.
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 21:32   #129
Senior - BHPian

Train 18 hitting 180 kmph. Notice the long straight stretch.

tharian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 12:28   #130
BHPian

It’s confirmed : the next VBE to run on Mumbai - Ahmedabad route, a heavily patronised section with multiple dedicated intercity trains like Shatabdi, DD, Tejas and onernight expresses enjoying >90% occupancy perennially.

The Vande Bharat Express is scheduled to have a time-tabled test run on 7th and 8th September, ‘22.

I’m yet to get the timings of the train, and I’ll try to capture a video of the train passing by Borivali Station (I stay next to the station, and being a rail fan, enjoy uninterrupted views of all the trains passing through BVI ).
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 17:16   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
It’s confirmed : the next VBE to run on Mumbai - Ahmedabad route, a heavily patronised section with multiple dedicated intercity trains like Shatabdi, DD, Tejas and onernight expresses enjoying >90% occupancy perennially.

The Vande Bharat Express is scheduled to have a time-tabled test run on 7th and 8th September, ‘22.

I’m yet to get the timings of the train, and I’ll try to capture a video of the train passing by Borivali Station (I stay next to the station, and being a rail fan, enjoy uninterrupted views of all the trains passing through BVI ).
Did you get the time for the runs ? I am also very close to the station at Dattapada, hope to catch the action live (if i can get away from work i.e.)
Old 6th September 2022, 22:13   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Did you get the time for the runs ?
Hi, nothing on the train’s trail run timing in the news. However, a birdie working in WR says the train is scheduled to leave A’bad at 7 in the morning tomorrow (Wednesday, 7th September) and arrive at MMCT at around 1ish in afternoon.
Which means the VBE should cross Borivali station at around 12.30 PM, just behind Tejas Express.

Quote:
I am also very close to the station at Dattapada, hope to catch the action live (if i can get away from work i.e.)
I reside on SV Road, Daulat Nagar. And I’m working from home tomorrow, I’ll be alert enough from 12-1 in the afternoon to catch a glimpse of the train
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 11:30   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post

I reside on SV Road, Daulat Nagar. And I’m working from home tomorrow, I’ll be alert enough from 12-1 in the afternoon to catch a glimpse of the train
Looking forward to your updates I am unfortunately in office today so will miss this run. :(

Regards
Diesel
Old 9th September 2022, 12:07   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Looking forward to your updates I am unfortunately in office today so will miss this run. :(

Regards
Diesel
Hi,
The test-run happened today, and I did manage to capture a glimpse of the train from my window

Here's the first video of the Vande-Bharat Express captured on Mumbai Suburban Section. Apologies for not being able to capture the whole train, got a divine intervention to be on the balcony when the train was already speeding past my society.

A known rail-fan from Ahmedabad claims the VBE left A'bad at 7 AM, with stops at Vadodara and Surat, and crossed Borivli without a halt at 11.40 AM (the time I captured the video). That makes the average speed of VBE at 98 kmph. (Distance between Ahmedabad - Borivli is 460 kms, and the train took 4 hrs 40 mins to cover the same).

I'll wait for the train's return journey to capture the entire rake, however I'm clueless on the timings as I write.

PS - the video is too large for me upload as a GIF, uploading the ZIP file of the video captured.

Please DM me should you get access to further test runs of the VBE, it'll help us to be prepared to capture the train in it's entirety
Attached Files
File Type: zip WhatsApp Video 2022-09-09 at 11.52.36 AM.mp4.zip (1.09 MB, 33 views)
jigar1791@gmail is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 13:04   #135

Luckily I got to capture Vande Bharat Express here while it was coming from Ahmedabad, This train just looks so magnificient and the honking was indeed like some music. Attaching the video below :
5u6odh is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed