Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2018, 13:15   #46
BHPian

Re: 11,000 electric rickshaws are sold in India every month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Surprising! Where are they hiding? Yet to notice one on the roads down here in the south.

The last time an EV rickshaw made news online was during the launch of IKEA.
These are very common here in UP. In fact, they are the only ones who can travel on these choked roads of ours because of their narrow design. And they can easily carry 6 people which is more than the traditional autorickshaws. That's why they are so popular here.
Maybe the bulk of these e-rickshaws are here in North India. Where I study in Maharashtra, these don't exist at all.
Old 2nd November 2018, 13:28   #47
Senior - BHPian

On a different note, the common man embracing this 'alternative technology' as opposed to a pedal powered Cycle rickshaw, or a petrol (worse, diesel) powered 'share' rickshaw; for reasons other than environmental reasons mandated by government proves that economic benefit can bring about a change in habits and mindsets.

I say this in the light of Delhi, Haryana governments struggling to rap some sense into citizens' polluting ways. Whereas this cleaner (but definitely irritating) contraption quietly became the preferred choice. Hopefully the use of cleaner public transport options is the silver lining of opportunity to be seen here, than an ill thought of regulation which just kills the phenomenon
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 18:20   #48

We do not have these here in Ahmedabad but have seen these in Agra. You are required to park your vehicle in a parking lot and then take these to reach Taj Mahal. Helps keep it white and shining is what I was told.

Moreover, while all of us are complaining about the safety or the kind of menace these drivers create, I think we, as the most famous and powerful auto-forum of this nation, should reach out to maybe PM's office, appreciate the action which will help reduce carbon footprint and create jobs and maybe try lending all the help that we can in spreading these across nation while suggesting to the manufacturers to make design changes to make these safer. At the same time we can also request authorities that rules be made around driving (license, minimum age etc.) these.

I have noticed that majority of the times I observe things, crib about those and later forget and go back to my life. Selfish ain't I? Hardly ever I have taken an action towards doing something right for this nation and all I have done is bad mouth about the politics. We, the educated lot, should lend a hand in the development of this country. I certainly will now.

Just my two cents.
deveshshukla53 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 18:54   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Beg to differ. Primary responsibility of not engaging in electricity theft rests with the user, the govt can't be a nanny to people to make them understand what is right & what is wrong. The owner is liable to follow all the rules, & ensure that his vehicle is being driven only by the authorised persons, & not those with impairment or below age. The government can only be an enforcer. But owner is always accountable, first & last.
Going by your logic we should then probably stop having all the law enforcement agencies. It does not work that way my friend. Individual liabilities are always there and any transgression has to be dealt with strongly by the law. A theft is a theft, irrespective of all moral standards that every individual must benchmark themselves against. And that theft has to be dealt the same way as any other illegal activity is dealt with. Electricity theft is no different.

However, if someone or a set of people refuse to hold themselves up to the high standards why should the entire eRick industry be painted with a tainted brush?
Old 2nd November 2018, 23:21   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Going by your logic we should then probably stop having all the law enforcement agencies. It does not work that way my friend. Individual liabilities are always there and any transgression has to be dealt with strongly by the law. A theft is a theft, irrespective of all moral standards that every individual must benchmark themselves against. And that theft has to be dealt the same way as any other illegal activity is dealt with. Electricity theft is no different.

However, if someone or a set of people refuse to hold themselves up to the high standards why should the entire eRick industry be painted with a tainted brush?
I think you misinterpreted my comment, I never said law enforcement has no role, in fact I did say the it has an important role - that of an enforcer, n yes, should be strict & impartial. My point was charity begins at home, so people should assume primary responsibility for their actions . And no, I'm not trying to taint the entire e-rickshaw fraternity, no doubt most would be honest. Only thing is some regulation by the govt has to be there to rein in the black sheep.
Old 2nd November 2018, 23:54   #51
BHPian

The issues created by Erik's are nothing compared to what is round the corner.

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...scale/59891897

Apologies for being
Old 4th November 2018, 14:19   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Edit: I shall try and post a snap of one of them with HSRP if I can find one in an opportune moment.
Here's one that I spotted today parked in one of the bylanes

11,000 electric rickshaws are sold in India every month!-erick.jpg

Looks like this model: https://www.okplayev.com/vehicles/e-rickshaw
Old 5th November 2018, 12:00   #53
BHPian

One of the objectives for these vehicles is to replace the Cycle Rickshaws which is a very tough way to make a living for a lot of people. These are invariably extremely poor people and driving one around in the heat and crowded and dusty cities is tough on health for these people.

Many governments have provided these e-rickshaws to them and they are otherwise quite affordable also. It is a big relief for a lot of people.
neeravnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 16:18   #54
BHPian

I am surprised, and even angry, that these contraptions (I refuse to call them vehicles) are allowed to ply on roads. Did no one ever conduct a safety audit and road worthiness test for these? I am shocked that any government can allow such contraptions to run on city roads.
amit.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 11:41   #55

Seriously? If that is the e-rickshaw, then I don't think I'd be interested in getting into one of them. Absolutely no safety, and looks pathetic. As already suggested by someone in the thread, if this is "revolution", I wouldn't want to be a part of it. We have the potential to make better vehicles than these, but the government should support, and big players like Mahindra should invest more.
Old 8th November 2018, 11:58   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
One of the objectives for these vehicles is to replace the Cycle Rickshaws which is a very tough way to make a living for a lot of people. These are invariably extremely poor people and driving one around in the heat and crowded and dusty cities is tough on health for these people.

Many governments have provided these e-rickshaws to them and they are otherwise quite affordable also. It is a big relief for a lot of people.
Right. The govt actually wants people to move from jugaad vehicles like motor rickshaw (electric motor fitted to a pedal rickshaw) or motor vans to these which are a step up in safety and comfort, both for the driver and rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.s View Post
I am surprised, and even angry, that these contraptions (I refuse to call them vehicles) are allowed to ply on roads. Did no one ever conduct a safety audit and road worthiness test for these? I am shocked that any government can allow such contraptions to run on city roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreevardhan View Post
Seriously? If that is the e-rickshaw, then I don't think I'd be interested in getting into one of them. Absolutely no safety, and looks pathetic. As already suggested by someone in the thread, if this is "revolution", I wouldn't want to be a part of it. We have the potential to make better vehicles than these, but the government should support, and big players like Mahindra should invest more.
Please understand that these Ericks are NOT replacing anything but pedal / hand-drawn rickshaws.
Typically a ride in these lasts less than 5-7 mins and 1-2 kms. These are for rides from the lanes / bylanes / alleys to the nearest busstop / station. The point that they don't pollute at their area of activity is also an important point to consider.
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 11:47   #57
BANNED

If the Kanpur data is any guide, less than a third are actually registered with the Kanpur RTO. Even fewer have drivers with proper licenses. No wonder we are having an E-rickshaw chaos. They seem to be a law unto themselves.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 14:22   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Surprising! Where are they hiding? Yet to notice one on the roads down here in the south.
I see one turning up daily near my place to deliver vegetables, dunno where the rest are hiding :-)
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 10:09   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Of course they add to our traffic chaos but us rich folks should remind ourselves that we the car owners are the road hoggers in this country and not the e-rickshaws or the buses.

PS: Quite likely a view that will tickle the irritation buds of car lovers because we believe the roads are meant only for us.
Thank you for putting this out there. I was going through this thread to see if this opinion is shared by anyone at all. It's rich when car owners complain about traffic.
We are the traffic!

Secondly, if it wasn't e-rickshaws, then it would be something else. Rather than stopping them from plying a better approach would be to put roles in place to regulate them.
sagaranjos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 11:25   #60
Senior - BHPian

I am yet to see one in Chennai, where their duty is done by the Tata Magic and Vikram share autos! But I saw plenty of them when I went on vacation to Delhi with my family in 2014. Rode them from the Metro station to the Zoo and back, and also around the Red fort area. The zoo trip was really tense with all kinds of vehicles whizzing around us and I was anxious the whole time. The one around the Red fort was not bad, with only slow moving traffic.

They are really much better than the cycle rickshaws where the driver toils like a beast of burden. But better regulation with regard to type of body and driver licence is needed, and if they are to be allowed on to main roads, they should be able to do auto rickshaw speeds.

Most Viewed