Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2022, 16:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian Aviation: Helicopters of the Indian Armed Forces

As always, an excellent and informative piece from Narayan sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The Mil Mi-26 has been phased out, sadly. Inadequate after sales support from Russia is the primary reason. When aircraft went to Russia for a deep overhaul they'd get stuck there for several months instead of for a few weeks.
Too bad. The Mil Mi-26 would've served us well with the surge in troops in 2020 post the Galwan clash. The Chinook did serve us well during that surge though, creating an air bridge between the Leh airbase, carrying supplies brought in by C17s to forward positions.

IMHO our security challenge at our Eastern frontier is such that we do need to import atleast 10-20 more Chinooks, Apaches and Seahawks (Romeos) apart from the indigenous Helis which we will need a couple of hundreds more atleast. This is because, for the first time since independence, India is going directly head-to-head with a superpower as the main rival, we need all the equipment and all the allies we can muster (even if we don't/can't agree with many of them).
dragracer567 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 16:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Mil Mi-26 has been phased out, sadly. Inadequate after sales support from Russia is the primary reason.
Yes, sadly. The three surviving IAF Mi-26s have been put into deep storage. Earlier, there were plans to upgrade these.
Indian Aviation: Helicopters of the Indian Armed Forces-20221103_164242.jpg

The No. 126 Helicopter Unit/Flight/Squadron of the IAF, which operated these Mi-26s and aptly called "Featherweights", now operate the CH-47F(I) Chinook. Note how the squadron patch has both the CH-47 & Mi-26 - probably meaning there were plans to operate both these helicopters in the squadron in tandem ( similar to how No.25 Sqdn operates the IL-76 & An-32).
Indian Aviation: Helicopters of the Indian Armed Forces-275558799_10225987112398730_362184638630118581_n.jpg
skanchan95 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 17:42   #18
BHPian

Excellent post. Thanks OP and TBHP.

Does rotor always rotate at constant speed? if yes then what is speed governing mechanism? Does fuel consumption is proportional to angle of attack of blades?

Why do we see people always bend when they come out of helicopter even though blades are rotating at safe distance above their heads?
IP_Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 19:18   #19
BHPian

I have been reading your posts related to military aviation for some time, guess you are in some way connected to military aviation. I generally follow defence related news too. Earlier on the now defunct bharat-rakshak, now on various other platforms.
Your opinions on the lack of self protection suits for our attack choppers (the mix up between radars and armaments ordered starting from the rudra days and the lack of an anti-radiation missile, most importantly the lack of an anti-tank missile), also the controversy that broke out between the navy and HAL regarding a navalised Dhruv (rotor folding too complex and tedious, rotors design unsuitable for naval operations, finally finding fault with the way the choppers were built with no standard jig and serious lack of quality control).
In this post, you seem unhappy with the Tejas overall, agreed it is a bit too little, way too late, but it did setup a whole architecture that might reduce our dependence for future combat aircraft on other nations. It achieved most of what it set out to achieve, bar the GTRE.
regards kaps454
kaps454 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 22:01   #20
BHPian

Narayan sir, the word that best describes this blog is wonderful. Information and viewpoints that have been verified. For BHPians and others interested in the history of our armed forces, this blog will be useful.

When it comes to the use of rotating wing platforms, India is still in its infancy. In order to embrace the most flexible platform ever built, there is actually a need for rapid infrastructure growth together with good planning and a roadmap.

We need to investigate its use from a different angle. Natural disasters occur frequently in India because of its size and diversity in geological and environmental characteristics. It's about time, in my opinion, that we increase NDRF/SDRF capability with regard to the use of rotary wings.

The use of this platform for medical and rescue services will be appropriate given the current condition of our road infrastructure. Civil infrastructure, including training facilities, needs to increase significantly and exponentially.

They say, "If you're my enemy and you hear me you're already dead, and if you hear me when you're in distress, rest assured you'll be saved". Helicopters are lifeline, when a soldier for whom CasEvac mission is launched, hears helicopter, he literally close eyes and knows that his day has not yet come.

Just to be honest, I was also writing the exact same blog at the time. But I ran out of time and couldn't finish it, so it's still incomplete. will put an end to that project and begin a new one that will shed light on the past and present state of particular Squadrons/Units.

Regards

Last edited by Aviatoraval : 3rd November 2022 at 22:03.
Aviatoraval is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 22:09   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatoraval View Post
Narayan sir, the word that best describes this blog is wonderful. Information and viewpoints that have been verified. For BHPians and others interested in the history of our armed forces, this blog will be useful.
Thank you for your kind words
Quote:
Just to be honest, I was also writing the exact same blog at the time. But I ran out of time and couldn't finish it, so it's still incomplete. will put an end to that project and begin a new one that will shed light on the past and present state of particular Squadrons/Units.
I would encourage you to write. It will be a well of information for us all. Looking forward to it.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 22:11   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for this excellent and comprehensive overview!!

You managed to find some excellent photographs too!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 22:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Yes, sadly. The three surviving IAF Mi-26s have been put into deep storage. Earlier, there were plans to upgrade these.
Curious question.

Does deep storage mean that the helicopters could be brought back to service at some point?
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 04:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

As usual, brilliant stuff. I read it at slow pace enjoying every bit. Over a period of two days.

Sometimes I wonder if the gentleman who writes the blog kaypius.com is a part of Team-BHP. He is a retired Helicopter pilot and his posts are very informative. Especially those related to Indian Helicopters.

I would recommend his blog to all the Helicopter enthusiasts.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 10:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Curious question.

Does deep storage mean that the helicopters could be brought back to service at some point?
They could be. As an example from the past, a number of IAF MiG-21FLs were sent into storage in the mid-1970s as the new MiG-21Ms started coming into service. In the late 1980s, these stored MiG-21FLs were pulled out from storage, retrofitted with two additional hard points under the wings and put back into service.
skanchan95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 11:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:

A sad reflection of our inter-service rivalry - the IAF fleet of 22 cost ~Rs 700 crores apiece all told. The much later Indian Army order of a paltry 6 machines will cost us Rs 1100 crores a piece partly due to lack of order size and depreciation of the INR. If only all 28 had been ordered as one deal!
This. Fundamental problem of the armed forces. Most people are not aware that regional commands do not share the same city as well. IAF Western Command is in Delhi while Army Western Command is Chandimandir. In the East, IAF sits in Shillong while Army is in Kolkata. It's been quite some time since the unified command in Andaman but seems nothing has been learnt yet.

The previous CDS did not help matters (De mortuis nil nisi bonum) but I really wish that we get rid of this colonial senior service nonsense and had a IAF or IN officer as CDS to push for more collaboration.

We have been lucky that our neighbour to the West is prone to even worse inter-service rivalry but our Eastern neighbour is the bigger challenge and they have rapidly modernised their command structure in the last 10 years.

Here is Adm Arun Prakash on the challenges facing theaterisation:

https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/forging-a-theatre-joint-command-structures-cds-8239477/

And for those willing to read across the border - Kaiser Tufail's (Ex-PAF) blog is a great read.
http://kaiser-aeronaut.blogspot.com/
Spaced Out is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 11:33   #27
BHPian

Excellent thread sir. Amazing to read about the fleet of helicopters in the Indian Defence services.
I remember a couple of years ago , when I was speaking to a senior retired helicopter pilot (retired from IAF) who was my neighbor here in Bangalore and closely associated with HAL. He mentioned that HAL Dhruv and its flying characteristics , pilot controls and ease of operation were noteworthy and were being compared to the legacy foreign manufacturers of helicopters and have been found to be much better.
It was a proud moment that India is so much capable to develop world class equipment and that too praised by another fellow Indian much experienced with helicopters all his life.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 13:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Another question for the learned folks here.

Is there a difference in the versions of helicopters such as the ALH Dhruv that are operated by both the Army and Air Force apart from camouflage (the Navy/Coast guard version is different offcourse)?

When does the army decide that they can make do with the Army’s own Dhruv or they will have to bring in the Air Force’s Dhruv/Mi-17? Are there combined ops between the Air Force helicopters and those from the Army Aviation Corps like we’ve recently between the Air Force and the Navy? Who commands such combined ops?
dragracer567 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 17:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Why do we see people always bend when they come out of helicopter even though blades are rotating at safe distance above their heads?
Certain conditions such as wind or holding position on a slope can cause the rotor disc to have a substantial tilt, bringing the blades closer to the ground. Blades are flexible and can flap up and down. Accidents have happened with blades hitting people fatally.
sukhbirST is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 16:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatoraval View Post
We need to investigate its use from a different angle. Natural disasters occur frequently in India because of its size and diversity in geological and environmental characteristics. It's about time, in my opinion, that we increase NDRF/SDRF capability with regard to the use of rotary wings.

The use of this platform for medical and rescue services will be appropriate given the current condition of our road infrastructure. Civil infrastructure, including training facilities, needs to increase significantly and exponentially.
I can't recommend this sentiment enough - spot on! I think the biggest game changer as far as the general public is concerned is if domestic helicopters become widespread and plentiful enough to make a meaningful difference in natural disasters. I can't help but be reminded from personal experience how the scarcity of such assets.

In December 2015, I was stranded at Chennai Airport when the infamous flooding happened. About 4 days in, we were told stranded passengers would be airlifted by helicopter. I was terribly excited at the prospect (not just being free of the terminal building). Eventually the CRPF jawans delivered the disappointing news that no helicopters were available. Only 2 Mi-17s were present, one of which was constantly working to rescue say the elderly or pregnant (totally justifiable). The other, the CRPF jawan grumbled was being used by the PM and the CM "to observe" rescue efforts. Ultimately, I wasn't in mortal danger, so I don't mind that I missed out on a chance to fly an IAF helicopter, but it did drive home the point stated by Aviatoraval above - India really could use more such platforms to help with the sadly increasing probability of natural disasters in the country. That such assets can be domestically made should be low hanging fruit in terms of win-win scenarios for decision makers surely!
ads11 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks