Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2024, 11:31   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: Domestic Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Now I intend to carry 2 packets 500 gms each of masala powder (my wife's insistence) (dont ask me what, coz I myself dont know ). Can I carry them in cabin luggage or I will have to check in the luggage?
No, cannot be carried in cabin baggage. On a recent flight, Security made a bunch of people remove all the masala packets (regardless of whether packed or home-made) from the cabin bags and have them checked-in. The women were not happy one bit. Luckily, this was at a very, very small airport so they could transfer the items immediately.
libranof1987 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 13:59   #152
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Had to ditch my favourite Vistara for Indigo, primarily because Indigo had better flight timings both ways.

Took the extra legroom seats & I must say, it was an awesome experience both ways! Friendlier staff (nothing like bad press to fix a business problem), quick check-in and water being served proactively. I don't care about their onboard meals as I always tank up at one of the nicer airport restaurants.

Domestic Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions-20240308-15.16.13.jpg

Digiyatra + Porter + self check-in + Automatic baggage drop meant I went from the Delhi airport entrance to the boarding gate in ~15 minutes. Wild!

Last edited by GTO : 18th March 2024 at 14:00.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 15:08   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been a Vistara loyalist ever since they started and 90% of my domestic travel is on this airline, primarily due to their offering of Premium Economy. Also my Axis Vistara card has helped me climb up to Platinum tier quicker hence my loyalty grew even further.
Infact, even for my foreign travel over the past year I have used Vistara most often.

However, I am finding myself ditching the Vistara premium eco for Akasa A+++
These are proper business class seats in the first 3 rows of their aircraft. It costs Ra.3500 to select which works out to be approx the same price overall when compared to Vistara Premium eco. But this instead is actually providing you business class seats minus the other service/food frills that I don't care much about anyway.

Only some aircrafts and sectors have the A+++ seats and the way to find out is during the seat selection while booking you will see that the cost of the first 3 rows is Rs.3500 and there is no middle seat picking option. The configuration is 2+2 in each row.
Sahil is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 13:35   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts - need urgent advice.

I am scheduled to travel from Bangalore to Pune in a Akasa flight at 6.40 am morning on Wednesday. Now I intend to carry 2 packets 500 gms each of masala powder (my wife's insistence) (dont ask me what, coz I myself dont know ). Can I carry them in cabin luggage or I will have to check in the luggage? The things are wrapped in 2 plastic pouches inside in a brown paper bag. Will the CRPF at security take objection to these in the cabin bag.

Putting in Check in delays me by atleast an hour to two at the BLR and Pune terminals.

Any suggestions is welcome.
Just surprised to hear that checking in bags delays you by an hour or more! I live in Bangalore and while I can't comment on PNQ, in BLR, HYD, DEL, BOM etc., I always check-in one bag (owing to shaving kit, etc. what won't pass security), and I rarely reach the airport more than 70 mins before departure...
Old 20th March 2024, 13:47   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
No, cannot be carried in cabin baggage.
True. CISF are now anally careful about masala powders. They are not being allowed at all as are coconut husks/fibre or copra in any form.

Basically, anything inflammable is a total no-no.
Old 20th March 2024, 14:05   #156
BHPian

Amongst the options we have in India I will continue to fly with Indigo for all the cities but AI Express only while exiting from Bangalore because that flies from T2
What an amazing terminal it is with so many shopping options.
Today flew in with Akasa but will go out tomorrow with AI Express
Meal options are same all across with nothing impressive to talk about.
Although DigiYatra has solved a lot of entry hassles but security check remains a concern in smaller airports hoping that changes with time.
Old 20th March 2024, 14:35   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaysrk View Post
Just surprised to hear that checking in bags delays you by an hour or more! I live in Bangalore and while I can't comment on PNQ, in BLR, HYD, DEL, BOM etc., I always check-in one bag (owing to shaving kit, etc. what won't pass security), and I rarely reach the airport more than 70 mins before departure...
It took 25 mins today at the BLR airport for the Akasa flight check in baggage process (20 mins in the queue and 5 mins at counter). At PNQ it took 25 mins more for the baggage to be picked up. So approximately an hour gone for the check in and baggage pick up process. With Cabin baggage only could have saved that time.

I was pleasantly surprised to see some quality seats in the Akasa flight. But the usual delay in take off and landing still continues. They were announcing too frequently about their maiden international flight to Doha, Qatar in the coming days which was a bit irritating.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 11:07   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

An Indigo passenger Shrankhla Srivastava, who recently flew with IndiGo, voiced her dissatisfaction on X with how her luggage was mishandled by the airline, damaging it. Her blue-coloured bag, showed a prominent crack, indicating rough handling.

Domestic Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions-20240326_110218.jpg

The damage sparked a debate on X, drawing attention to the repeated luggage mishandling by the airline.

The passenger appropriately "complimented" @IndiGo6E on X:-

Quote:
Dear @IndiGo6E ,
Thank you for taking care of my luggage
The airline replied:-

Quote:
Hi, we sincerely regret the inconvenience caused. We request you please allow us some time to check. We'll connect with you. ~Mousmi
The luggage is damaged. And they require "some time" to check. Maybe Indigo's "Suitcase/Duffle Bag Structural Engineers??" would be checking to survey the damage?

A witty reply by X user @Caffeinated says:-

Quote:
If they handle our suitcases that way then we should start buying these as a retaliation.

Domestic Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions-20240326_111305.jpg
The X link:-
https://twitter.com/shrankhla3/statu...0vFvqnhOA&s=19

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th March 2024 at 11:17.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 09:59   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

IndiGo Pilot Called ‘Glorified Driver’ After Introducing Family During Over PA

https://www.msn.com/en-in/entertainm...68295dfe&ei=29

A young pilot who recently made Captain had his parents and grandparents flying with him for the first time and made a short touching announcement to thank his elders for their support and for funding his training – which by the way runs into millions of rupees.

News article above. Twitter link below.

https://twitter.com/IndiGo6E/status/...icle-109099034

Most unfortunately several on Twitter (now X) hurled unrequired and ungracious comments of pilots being glorified bus drivers blah, blah, blah.

Never could understand why on social media people hurl abuses and scathing talk while hiding behind anonymous handles. Lack of moral fibre in my eyes.

Pilots undergo rigorous training for an occupation where hundreds are depending on you with their lives several times a day to do everything exactly right on each flight. The training is more practical {like that of a surgeon} with standards of passing that are far higher than the normal education of BTech, MBA, CA that most of us undergo with grades of performance. Passing is binary. either you are fully in or you are fully out.

Rather a pity that folks on social media put in comments such as, and I quote,
“We don't see drivers introducing his/her family members when they are travelling in the bus, he/she drives,” read a post. “Then why do pilots do this drama all the time? What do both do? Ferry passengers, right? So, what's the big deal?.”

Crass and pathetic. First, he insults the captain of the aircraft and then he insults bus drivers. Such feudal statements reveal the thinking of such people (who wrote that comment) that he views a bus driver and his profession as inferior and pilots no better.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 7th April 2024 at 10:02.
V.Narayan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 11:44   #160
Senior - BHPian

Mostly a case of sour grapes. Plain jealousy. Being an airlline pilot is something many dream about, but can't afford. Now a days train drivers are officially designated as loco pilots. Probably they earn matching salaries too. Recently when I visited deep south TN, I saw "Pilot" painted proudly above the driver door of many private local buses! And they drove like one too!

Petty minded people are everywhere. The moment they see someone being happy and proud, they will have to try and prick the balloon! Else the day will be wasted for them.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2024, 21:53   #161
BHPian

Anyone with experience on StarAir? Their Delhi-Bangalore fares are atleat 20-25% cheaper right now.
Old 18th April 2024, 21:23   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Another blow for IndiGo by a YouTuber who has asserted that the snacks like poha, dal chawal served as prepackaged food on their flights contains sodium in excess, surpassing the content in Maggi noodles by 50%.

Social media influencer Revant Himatsingka, popularly known as Food Pharmer, has levelled serious claims about certain pre-packaged meals served by IndiGo airlines on flights.

In a video recorded inside the flight, health influencer Revant Himantsingka alleged that "Indigo's Magic Upma has 50% more sodium than Maggi". He added that even the in-flight poha and daal-chawal served by the airline have more sodium than the instant noodles.

He wrote on X:-

Quote:
"Most of us already know that Maggi is a high sodium food! What most of don't know is that Indigo's Magic Upma has 50% more sodium than Maggi, Indigo's Poha has ~83% more sodium than Maggi, and Daal Chawal has as much sodium as Maggi. Just because "Upma", "Poha", "Daal chawal" sound healthy, does not mean they are healthy. Always remember junk food pretending to be healthy, is even more dangerous than junk food. Indian's already consume too much sodium and consuming excess sodium on a regular basis raises our blood pressure and can result in hypertension, heart issues and kidney issues."
Indigo responded:-

Quote:
"IndiGo serves fresh and pre-packaged food only from the most reputed vendors. All food served on board IndiGo flights carries details on ingredients and nutritional information as per FSSAI norms. Passengers have the choice of choosing from freshly prepared pre-booked meals or purchase pre-packaged food products on board. The preparation of some pre-packaged products is done as per traditional Indian recipes and the salt content is well within prescribed norms."

"The information printed on the package acts as an advisory for passengers to estimate their nutritional intake and consume as per their discretion. We welcome all feedback to improve our services in our mission to provide an affordable, on-time and hassle-free flying experience for our customers,"
Before this, Himatsingka's video on Cadbury's Bournvita went viral in April 2023. He said the company should consider changing the tagline from 'taiyari jeet ki' to 'taiyari diabetes ki'.

Following which, the company sent a legal notice to Himatsingka and issued a statement addressing the controversy. The company asserted that each serving of Bournvita contains '7.5 grams of added sugar,' which is 'much less than the daily recommended intake limits of sugar for children'. However, on December 23, the influencer took to Instagram to share that the company has reduced added sugar by 15 percent and called it a 'big win'.

Last week, the Centre directed all the e-commerce companies to remove drinks and beverages, including Bournvita, from the health drinks category from their portals.

The assertions by Revant Himantsingka this time may dent IndiGo's image with regard to its unhealthy in-flight catering.

Newslink:-

http://dhunt.in/U3PQS?s=a&uu=0x4a09defdfbda8a93&ss=pd
Source : "Business Today" via Dailyhunt

And the post on X

https://twitter.com/foodpharmer2/sta...yc3XG3GKA&s=19

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th April 2024 at 21:25.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 06:34   #163
Senior - BHPian

As long as Indigo doesn't forcibly open people's mouths and feed them, they are legally protected. I think Indigo should now get into a strict " low key high productivity" regimen. Seems like they are attracting all sorts of publicity hungry individuals to the point of distraction for their PR team.
No more PA stunts by pilots / cabin crew, no more family greetings in the plane,, less Social media activity overall would really help.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 19th April 2024 at 06:37.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 11:07   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Another blow for IndiGo by a YouTuber who has asserted that the snacks like poha, dal chawal served as prepackaged food on their flights contains sodium in excess, surpassing the content in Maggi noodles by 50%.
And there is scientific basis for adding the extra sodium. Here is a BBC article giving the reason.

BBC article

Excerpts from the article below.

Quote:
Taste buds and sense of smell are the first things to go at 30,000 feet, says Russ Brown, director of In-flight Dining & Retail at American Airlines. “Flavour is a combination of both, and our perception of saltiness and sweetness drop when inside a pressurised cabin".
Quote:
So airlines have to give in-flight food an extra kick, by salting and spicing it much more than a restaurant on the ground ever would. “Proper seasoning is key to ensure food tastes good in the air,” says Brown at American Airlines. “Often, recipes are modified with additional salt or seasoning to account for the cabin dining atmosphere."
catchjyoti is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 23:33   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
And there is scientific basis for adding the extra sodium. Here is a BBC article giving the reason.
The cooked food for flights would also have preservatives added compared to the same dish freshly prepared at home, since they are prepared in advance, cooled and cling wrapped to be reheated and served during the flight.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks