Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2023, 10:39   #61
BHPian

Re: Domestic Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions

Quote:
Is this abnormal or is it making a mountain out of mole hill? Can coffee spill cause critical equipment failure as alleged?
While you and the media outlet are correct about the position of the coffee being a potential danger, the danger would not just stem from a coffee spill. You see, the coffee has been placed precariously on the levers that control the fuel pressure going to the engines, even a slight change in the pressure could hinder the performance of the engines significantly, the worst case scenario being the engines turning off completely until the crew can restart them. The Airbus A320 is equipped with a retractable tray table that can be deployed when the flight crew fancy a little snack, I am not sure about the 737 that is shown here but it might have one of those tables. I'm no airline pilot but a few hundred hours in the flight simulator has made me aware of the presence of the tables on the A320, surely if the 737 comes equipped with these tables, the pilots should know about them and not place their snacks in such positions. Also, on an unrelated note, why are they eating these pie things on the flight? Their flaky nature means they are very hard to consume without getting crumbs all over the place, just have a sandwich or something. And, why do you need to have a snack on a domestic flight? I don't mean to judge, but, you seriously need to get your appetite in check if you have to start snacking on a flight that lasts a maximum of 3 hours (Trust me I checked, Spicejet's longest flight is from Bengaluru to Guwahati.) Anyway, sorry for going off on a tangent, but this is simply appalling behaviour.
ExtremePocca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 10:47   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Flew to Ranchi last month, and ours was the last flight to land. Tried to book an Ola, but wasnt able to connect. A couple of cab guys came and I was able to bargain a bit to get to the hotel at a reasonable fare.

Learning: last flights means you can either get a cab at a reasonable fare (300)- since they also want to end the day on a working note. However, if the number of cabs are lesser than available passengers looking for cabs, some passenger(s) may end up without a ride.

However, when flying out, I had to pay more than that (500). Distance was about 8 km

Last edited by condor : 20th March 2023 at 10:49.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 16:21   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

I was a regular on the Delhi-Guwahati-Bagdogra sector from 2005 till about 10 years ago. It used to mostly be Indian Airlines and they deployed Boeing 737's on this route. Just sometime ago, at Patna Airport an Indian Airlines (IA) pilot had refused to take off for the reason that one air hostess' basic pay was more than his. The air hostess was allocated some other flight in lieu of this one, but this flight was inordinately delayed due to stubbornness of all concerned.

This fact haunted me always and I was apprehensive of a similar recurrence on my IA flights anytime, anywhere.

Bagdogra is located on the outskirts of Siliguri and is apt for Sikkim bound passengers too who usually move by road from Bagdogra.

During one such Delhi - Bagdogra flight, I got a window seat to the left side. View of the snow capped Himalayas and foothills of Mount Everest with the highest peak at a distance is excellent if the skies are clear. The flight was OK till Guwahati with too little interference of air pockets. After the take off from Guwahati the very wide Brahmaputra river bed was prominent. Soon after reaching its optimum altitude of about 30 K feet, the B-737 started encountering multiple air pockets. The plane's wings started rattling, announcements were being made about bad weather and the air pockets. The seat belt sign was activated and deactivated two to three times. Passengers got very panicky and shaky with many of them getting frightened to think of "what next?" After a little while, some flight stability was regained. An air hostess told about snacks to be soon served. Snacks for short haul flights by AI would mean some samosa / kachori and tea/coffee. They had earlier served meals on the Delhi-Guwahati sector.

While passengers were awaiting their snacks, very soon more and more air pockets were encountered. This was followed by announcements, wear seat belt signs, with the plane's wings rattling and the plane's fuselage doing some rock'n roll. Rattling was so severe this time that even the air hostesses too took their seats and were not to be seen. Most passengers got extremely panicked and some might have been praying, thinking that these would be the last prayers. I was also shaken. The pilots must have been going through their nightmares too. After about 15-20 minutes of such a nightmarish and gruelling experience, the flight path was near normal just prior to reaching the destination. The total flight duration was of 65 minutes which took nearly 75 minutes. From the 75 minutes about 35-40 minutes were spent by the crew and passengers in agony and mental trauma. But the pilots with their skills saved the day for us.

Hence, on the flip side of the incident wherein an IA pilot had protested at Patna feeling inferior with his basic pay, we had pilots here who skillfully maneuvered the antiquated B-737 through a then nightmarish route.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th March 2023 at 18:02. Reason: As requested
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 23:11   #64
BHPian

Images of Indigo's second wet leased Boeing 777 shared by Turkish Technic on twitter. This one will to fly the Mumbai - Istanbul route currently served by an Airbus A321 with a stop in Ras Al Khaimah, UAE. The first 777 is will be returned back to Turkish Airlines and another will take its place. Both the ex-Turkish 777's that are coming were originally intended for Russia's Azur Air. Reports say that this aircraft has a two class configuration with 7 business class and a whopping 524 economy class seats. Nice to see this livery on another aircraft type!

Domestic Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions-frkhinbwwacq0bi.jpg

Domestic Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions-frkhinfwiaaniyy.jpg

Domestic Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions-frkhiniwiaaq0q_.jpg

Domestic Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions-frwkxl2x0aeopei.jpg

Last edited by TSIboy : 22nd March 2023 at 23:15.
TSIboy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 11:27   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIboy View Post
Images of Indigo's second wet leased Boeing 777 shared by Turkish Technic on twitter. This one will to fly the Mumbai - Istanbul route currently served by an Airbus A321 with a stop in Ras Al Khaimah, UAE. The first 777 is will be returned back to Turkish Airlines and another will take its place. Both the ex-Turkish 777's that are coming were originally intended for Russia's Azur Air. Reports say that this aircraft has a two class configuration with 7 business class and a whopping 524 economy class seats. Nice to see this livery on another aircraft type!

Attachment 2432087

Attachment 2432085

Attachment 2432086

Attachment 2432088
Wow!
The 777 in the Indigo livery does look good.
Mainly because it is so close to the Boeing corporate livery which I think looks fantastic!
arijitkanrar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 07:09   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Indigo unseats breast feeding mother after collecting her seat preference fees

https://viewfromthewing.com/indigo-a...-of-the-plane/
https://zeenews.india.com/aviation/j...t-2586930.html

Indigo allowed a mother with an infant to book the first row of seats after collecting extra fees but then did not let her sit there and pushed her back to the rear citing incorrect and ridiculous reasons such as air pressure {really Mr Rahul Bhatia?, try another one} and that front row does not have an extra oxygen mask for an infant – as if rear seats do.

To add salt to the wound allegedly three male staffers heckled the lady passenger, while she was breast feeding her baby, to shift immediately by talking loudly and creating an embarrassment. It has been my observation that since Gangwal withdrew from operational leadership and Aditya Ghosh moved out their cabin service and at times their customer service on the ground has been in steady deterioration.

One thing I'll say about the bad old Indian Airlines, for all their other faults, the cabin crew had much more leeway on such matters than these rigid, hard line rule bound, American carrier style Indigo attitudes. A common sense understanding in diversity of passenger needs is missing at Indigo in this instance at least. The reason they don't want wailing infants up front is to retain their premium positioning of those seats for higher fare paying pax. But they didn't think about that when collecting the fees from this mother who registered her infant at time of booking. I wonder if the DGCA will have the sense of responsibility to take this up.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 25th March 2023 at 07:15.
V.Narayan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 13:27   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Indigo allowed a mother with an infant to book the first row of seats after collecting extra fees but then did not let her sit there and pushed her back to the rear citing incorrect and ridiculous reasons such as air pressure {really Mr Rahul Bhatia?, try another one} and that front row does not have an extra oxygen mask for an infant – as if rear seats do.
Faced the same when my kid was small. Ideally, they invoke safety ruling to push to back. Unfortunately, if you are a flying public in India, you can not escape Indigo.

When I am flying with family and not on emergency, we always try to find for alternative first before Indigo. It is altogether a different story is how many times those search yield any results.
Coming to the case, I don't think DGCA would do anything, as they always makes it "Operational Issue".

Last edited by PetrolRider : 26th March 2023 at 13:28.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 16:09   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIboy View Post
Images of Indigo's second wet leased Boeing 777 shared by Turkish Technic on twitter.
Isn't this can be best described as "Wolf in sheep's cloth?"

Effectively, these will be just another Turkush Airlines flights which primarily used to feed their onwards flights to Europe and US, and main purpose is to bypass cap by Indian Government.
Old 30th March 2023, 10:50   #69
BHPian

Just as we're recovering from the Peegate incident, comes another bit of depressing news:

https://www.news18.com/buzz/drunk-in...s-7418911.html
A drunk IndiGo passenger vomited on the aisle and defecated around the toilet on a Guwahati to Delhi flight on March 26. The shocking incident prompted outrage on social media after a photo of a cabin crew member cleaning the mess went viral.

The passenger was not penalised in any way.

This is terrible terrible indeed, and probably qualifies for punishment equal to the Peegate one, if not more.
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 11:05   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
things under the sun. "Auto assign" worked out pretty well for me
Had a second auto-assign instance with Akasa, this time it worked perfectly well. It was from Cochin to Bangalore two weeks back, was auto assigned a middle seat, since it was a short flight, was not bothered about the seat position or the row as such.

At airport, tired to get my boarding pass printed from the self check in kiosk. I was having the boarding pass in my mobile, however was planning on visiting the lounge and they were having difficulty once during an earlier travel in scanning the boarding pass bar code from the mobile.
So it seems the self check-in kiosk is not having Akasa onboarded, so headed to the check in counter, which was empty.

While getting the boarding pass, was chatting with the lady at the counter and mentioning about the issue faced in the auto assign earlier and why Akasa not present in self check in kiosk etc.

She gave a well rehearsed line, something similar to - We do understand that guests are facing issue with our systems. We are well aware of that and
trying to get it all fixed soon.

So I guess these are the teething issues and hope it all gets resolved soon. Anyway, thanks to the small chat, she changes my seat to emergency exit

Also, Cochin airport lounge has the best view of the lounges I been in India till now. One can sit there spotting flights all day long (well, for 3 hours before flight technically)

View from the lounge -
Domestic Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions-pxl_20230312_125136501.jpg

Last edited by mpksuhas : 12th April 2023 at 11:07.
mpksuhas is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 11:20   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Flew BLR-CCU-BLR on Air Asia and Indigo last week. Some random thoughts in no particular order:

BLR-CCU (Air Asia I5-1533):
1. Experienced T2 (finally!). Liked the experience - everything brand new and green!
2. Aircraft was A320-216 bearing VT-JRT & the lovely JRD Tata livery - 15 years old
3. Lovely plush seats BUT seat pitch and legroom was disappointing to say the least.

Domestic Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions-img_20230405_055824.jpg

CCU-BLR (Indigo 6E-6314):
1. Lovely brand new A321-251NX bearing VT-IBJ.
2. Usual 6E seats but seat pitch and legroom were a lot better than what I recollect.
3. 251NX interiors a world apart; almost has an international flight feel.

Domestic Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions-img_20230407_220722.jpg
Domestic Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions-img_20230407_220659.jpg

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th April 2023 at 11:31.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 11:35   #72
Team-BHP Support

My wife and mother in law flew Akasa from Kochi earlier this month. It was a late evening flight. The staff noticing my elderly mother in law upgraded them to Business without a blink.

Great service
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 20:32   #73
BHPian

Got to fly BDQ-DEL-BDQ this past week on Indigo and Air India and the experiences onboard both differed quite a lot from my expectations!

BDQ-DEL(Indigo A321neo)

Initially wanted to take the Air India flight some 40 minutes prior to this one, but due to some technical issues had to book on Indigo. Till now, my experience with Indigo has always been very standard- no frills and you get exactly what you expect but this time was different.

As usual with 6E, boarding was done in a rushed manner with people being crammed into buses like a can of sardines. Still, this was expected so not complaining.

However, it was inside the aircraft where the issues began. First of all, the tray table was soiled and on close inspection, the seat fabric too. This particular aircraft(VT-IBE) is apparently only a few months old. Till now, I've never encountered this with Indigo who always had their interiors spic and span.

Post takeoff, the meal service commenced in which they did not have the sandwich I had pre-booked. Weird. On top of that the attitude and service levels of the cabin crew were not really up to par either with a very take it or leave it attitude doled out when I asked for other options. Finally settled for some cup noodles but surprise surprise- the water was not hot enough to cook them! I understand these are minor issues and I might be nitpicking but considering the fares they charge nowadays coupled with my past experiences, I was disappointed.

DEL-BDQ (Air India A321ceo)

On the complete other side of the coin, I was again impressed with Air India! There were a few issues (like the software not letting me trade my XL middle seat for a regular aisle for free) and the fact that it was rescheduled to takeoff an hour later (but notified well in advance) but the hospitality and warmth of the crew was truly commendable. I do not remember the last time I received such good service on a domestic airline(yes, even with Vistara!). The food served onboard was a piping hot and extremely delicious paneer wrap and the landing butter smooth.

Domestic Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions-img_20230606_184331.jpg

This particular flight was absolutely packed with no seats empty (due to a lot of people connecting internationally) but there was no rushing of the crowd of any sort and the process of boarding-deboarding was managed extremely well. Yes, the seats were old but the comfort was still miles better than 6E(I know it's unfair to compare an LCC with a FSC but still). I absolutely cannot wait till they receive their new fleet. AI is going to be my default choice now, especially on routes not served by Vistara.

Ending this on a positive note with a picture I clicked at IGI Airport. Fun fact: this B777-200LR(VT-ALF) was used merely hours after clicking this pic to rescue the passengers stranded in Magadan, Russia.

Domestic Air Travel & Airlines | Reviews, Anecdotes, Advice, Cautions-img_20230611_203129.jpg

Last edited by porsche_guy : 11th June 2023 at 20:37.
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 18:04   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.deccanherald.com/nationa...y-1231335.html

Typical clickbait article against Air India. Disappointed in the Deccan Herald. The AI pilot did not refuse to fly, he wasn't allowed by the straightforward FDTL rules from flying.
Old 27th June 2023, 15:45   #75
BHPian

I have an upcoming international trip from Delhi t3 and I was wondering what is the best way to reach Delhi from Hyderabad. Is it advisable to book indigo and then transfer from t2 to t3 at delhi or should I book an Air India/ Vistara flight?

P.S: for weight allowance, which airline is the best to book? for reference, since I have an international trip I will be travelling with 2 x 23kg check in bags.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks