Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2008, 15:39   #16
BHPian

I have rarely observed any of the buses in the Volvo routes along Airport road and Outer Ring Road plying with less than full capacity. In fact, there are usually a good number of standing passengers, especially on weekdays. Some of the other benefits:

1. noise reduction
2. Lower emissions
3. Greater discipline with buses only stopping at legitimate bus-stops etc.
4. Alternative sources of revenue through advertising

Above all, it makes me happy and proud to see a nice red bus with a smart, uniformed driver in it, as opposed to the smoke-belching horror that one normally associates with "BMTC"
Old 12th May 2008, 16:02   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
And also these were too reported in news papers

http://www.thehindu.com/2007/04/16/stories/2007041617500600.htm
praJEEP, that article is quite old now. Those were the days when the Volvo was not widely accepted, and usually had empty seats during trips. The situation is very different these days. The increasing number of Volvos on the roads is reason enough to conclude that they seem to have finally hit the sweet spot.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Saw the BMTC Vayu Vajra buses on the ORR near Hennur on Sunday. They are supposed to be the buses connecting the Bangalore International Airport to the city ??

The regular low floor city buses with additional luggage racks fitted, and less number of seats. What does BMTC expect people to do ? Stand for the 1.5hrs ride to the BIAL?
Well if you see these buses, they rarely reach full capacity (which they do mainly at night). Plus these buses go through the city with frequent stops in traffic. Hence passengers need to get on board and alight quickly (with a bag or two) without any assistance. (Afterall most passengers will NOT use this service if they are flying international with LOADS of baggage! It is mainly used by domestic passengers on a personal budget (not company paid)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
They should look at inducting the regular Volvos - those used for interstate travel - Garuda service ? for the Airport connectivity. Will seat upto 30 people with luggage accomodated in the underbelly of the bus.
"Garuda" belongs to APSRTC (Andhra Pradesh). "Airavath" is what it is in KSRTC. I still feel that these are clear inter city busses and are extremely inconvenient to move around in esp in a hurry when the bus is moving. The low floor buses suit this better.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:24   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is mainly used by domestic passengers on a personal budget (not company paid)).
I'm quite happy to use these even with company piad options as long as I have little baggage. Why pay Rs 1200 for my cab?
Old 13th August 2008, 14:48   #20
BHPian

Vayu Vajra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I'm quite happy to use these even with company piad options as long as I have little baggage. Why pay Rs 1200 for my cab?
That's nice of you and a good gesture against conspicuous consumption.

Back in the HAL days (haven't flown on company expense since BIAL) I used to only take the normal (smelly jittery) Omni city-taxis on any trip. Even tho' company would normally arrange for a rent-a-car type cab from the big guys. But that would cost more than triple what I would pay the city-taxi.

I remember I had to "justify" the lower expense to my manager because I had not followed the norms! Strange!

I found that even be below half of normal spend even when giving the cabbie (if he was polite and nice to me) a fat tip (about 40% of the fare).

Back to topic, I find the Vayu Vajra service a really good initiative till the (promised) dedicated high speed rail link comes in place! I used them when my in-laws came down to Bangalore. And although we left BIAL at the same time (in-laws in Vayu Vajra and wife and me on my Pulsar 180), they reached the destination almost 10 minutes before me! And this was post midnight!

But I find that they may not be too profitable for BIAL, since utilization is low. I think they should open services to commuters offering inter city stops on these route. Right now (from what I heard) that this is not offered.

You can get off wherever you wish, but you have to pay the fare upto BIAL!
Old 13th August 2008, 15:37   #21
Team-BHP Support

I also use them when I go to my airport road office and back. Wife and auto drivers think I am mad - senior manager taking the baas.

The bus is full in the morning and after 4.30. Also drivers are obliging. Official stop is 0.5 km from my house but they are okay in dropping my 50 mters from my house at the signal. Also better bus means better service from these folks
Old 13th August 2008, 22:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I also use them when I go to my airport road office and back. Wife and auto drivers think I am mad - senior manager taking the baas.

The bus is full in the morning and after 4.30. Also drivers are obliging. Official stop is 0.5 km from my house but they are okay in dropping my 50 mters from my house at the signal. Also better bus means better service from these folks
its a good service for sure
Old 13th August 2008, 22:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend notice new Volvo's plying thru the route near my place of stay. (And the route they take, thru small streets that are just enough for the vehicle to go!!! Thank God for power steering!)

But then, it is clear that they are increasing the number of Volvo's on road. Good sign, I say!
Old 14th August 2008, 11:19   #24
BHPian

Saw a very nice looking White Volvo on the way to work today - IT had "Air India / SATS" branding and also a BMTC sticker on the back. Looks like an airport shuttle or something.
Old 14th August 2008, 11:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

And BMTC is planning to get the low floor bus from TATA (orry forgot the names). It costs less than 40Lacs vs volvo around 75Lacs. The article said its almost same feature and spec.
Old 14th August 2008, 13:11   #26
BHPian

First, we do need more Volvos as they are aimed at people traveling in cars.Fact being, that many of my friends working in city, are using the Volvos everyday.

Second, we also need more number of ordinary buses so that people can move around faster. With regards to cleanliness of these buses, I guess the drivers and the entire BMTC staff need to understand that sooner or later, they would be the part owners as BMTC has plans to go public. Which means, they own the fleet and it is in their own interest to maintain them well.

Thrid, I have recently read in the newspaper that BMTC is now opting for alternate's to Volvo. There is one model from Ashok Leyland. Each Volvo costs about 70 lacs and the one from AL costs about 25 lacs.

No matter what BMTC chooses to increase their fleet, the fact is that we need more buses on our roads with dedicated lanes to improve public transport and reduce the number of private vehicles there by reducing the carbon emmissions. Both BMTC and State Government should look at building public parking facilities so that people can use them as "Park & Ride" facility.
Old 14th August 2008, 14:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
And BMTC is planning to get the low floor bus from TATA (orry forgot the names). It costs less than 40Lacs vs volvo around 75Lacs. The article said its almost same feature and spec.

Marcopolo low floor buses from Tata.
Old 14th August 2008, 17:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
And BMTC is planning to get the low floor bus from TATA (orry forgot the names).
Think it is Tata-Hispano

Sorry am wrong here. Didn't read smsrini's post, before posting this.

Last edited by dkamath : 14th August 2008 at 17:57.
Old 15th August 2008, 01:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

TATA and AL has had low floor/integrated coach buses etc since God knows when. Nobody is really interested as they don't get to make much cut. I have a sinister feeling that Volvo's are promoted so much by ministers as they get a good cut on the deal. Nobody wants to kill the golden goose, so the low floor buses from Tata/AL can wait.
Old 15th August 2008, 01:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

The Volvo initiative was truly a leap of faith, and I'm glad it worked. A lot of people, who otherwise wouldn't be caught dead in a BMTC bus, use this mode of transport on their daily commute. It's comfortable, clean, and airconditioned. The driver will oblige you by stopping pretty much anywhere on the route, so if you live on the route, it's as good as a chauffeur-driven car. But during rush hour, it's only slightly less packed than a regular BMTC bus, ie standing space only.

I've seen Tata's Starbus and all that, and it's pretty pathetic. But yes, I can imagine that Tata will not pay substantial, if any, bribes to anyone. But then, how come their Indigos are popular with some GoI departments?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks