Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2008, 23:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

saw the lavender one here in SIon . is in service with NEETA and had written on it
Travel with the Star in huge lettering..
nice one but looks smaller than the VOLVO and the tires look small too.
Old 7th September 2008, 00:00   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder how its running/maintenance costs will compare with the Volvo's ? And I certainly hope it wont be serviced at MBIL car service stations!
Old 7th September 2008, 12:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

I happened to see one on thursday afternoon near my workplace. It was sans any registration. It does not look as big and imposing as a B7R, or maybe its only me.
Interestingly, it was either broken down, or abandoned/parked haphazardly in the middle of a right angled turn on the road. But the way it was kept, makes me think it was the former case.
Old 7th September 2008, 13:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I happened to see one on thursday afternoon near my workplace. It was sans any registration. It does not look as big and imposing as a B7R, or maybe its only me.
Interestingly, it was either broken down, or abandoned/parked haphazardly in the middle of a right angled turn on the road. But the way it was kept, makes me think it was the former case.

you are right. its not as big as the VOLVO at all.. its even a bit smaller than the Hispanio Tata model.
Old 7th September 2008, 15:37   #20
BHPian

I'm surprised with the large "Sutlej" name tag on the front on the bus. I'm sure quite a large number of the general public will think that the bus is a modified Sutlej bus with a fake Mercedes logo stuck on the front.
If I were Mercedes, I would place the Daimler Mercedes name logo on the other side.
The more you promote the bus as being an original Mercedes the more customers you are going to get.

Also is it just me or do the Front lights look quite small?
Old 8th September 2008, 00:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

well you have a point but this way sutlej can get a lot of popularity and respect and as far as people are concerned the tickets wll be sold to them only after letting them know its a benz bus ,afterall the tickets will be at a premium
Old 9th September 2008, 16:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Any idea what the price of the Merc bus will be compared to the Volvo?

This was going to be taken in-house after volumes picked up and also for quality reasons.
VOLVO New One comes with an in house body alright.
Its not Azad body anymore.
Pricing will not be a major issue in the luxury segment, but Mercedes-Sutlej will have to combat a tough early entrant like VOLVO.
And soon Tata-Marcopolo and Asok Leyland too.

The fight is worth watching.Especially VOLVO is known to be very aggressive in the Bus market with continuous model updates.

Meantime does this bus lift itself like the new VOLVO?
Recently travelled to Mangalore in that new Model, it was a real good feeling especially ath the rough patch in the Ghat Section, the driver reminded me of a pilot going for a take-off.
Old 10th September 2008, 19:24   #23
BANNED

Abut these buses being shorter than B7Rs - internationally, long distance buses are shorter than city buses. It is the otherway around in India. For example, on long distance routes, Ashok leyland fans used to deploy Viking chassis - (from my rusted memory) 210 Inch wheelbase, 10% front overhang; 50% rear overhang; and for city / short distance routes, they deployed cheetah chassis - with 205 inch wheelbase and 40% rear overhang; nil front overhang. With minor variations across states and cities, and fleet owners, the general rule was same - longer vehicles for long routes.

Quote:
Meantime does this bus lift itself like the new VOLVO?
This feature was first offered as a modification on Ashok Leyland buses by TVS, the south Indian group. It was launched in early 1980s; and cost about half the price of the vehicle itself. But those were days of license-permit raj, and people lapped up whatever was available at cheapest price; there were no takers for this in the initial 3-4 years; but 5th year onwards, this "feature" was prominently advertised on luxury buses.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 10th September 2008 at 19:28.
Old 10th September 2008, 22:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Abut these buses being shorter than B7Rs - internationally, long distance buses are shorter than city buses. It is the otherway around in India.
I have also noticed this fact internationally. Shouldn't mercedes be adopting to India though ? I wonder what the price difference between the B7R and merc are
Old 10th September 2008, 22:51   #25
BHPian

Well AFAIK the volvo buses are 9400 chassis and its around 290hp and its 7ltr engine. I remember talking to driver before traveling. Ashok leyland's12M this is BSII and 177hp but are these the ones the Tamil Nadu SETC and some travel companies such as ABT are plying? they almost look like a clone to Volvo but aren't rear engined and have a distinct grunt or lack of refinement call it.
Whats up with MAN Force and Scania ??
Its is upto Benz on which state they capture for their market !!
Old 13th October 2008, 18:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
Well AFAIK the volvo buses are 9400 chassis and its around 290hp and its 7ltr engine. I remember talking to driver before traveling. Ashok leyland's12M this is BSII and 177hp but are these the ones the Tamil Nadu SETC and some travel companies such as ABT are plying? they almost look like a clone to Volvo but aren't rear engined and have a distinct grunt or lack of refinement call it.
The 12M ALL model has about 175 HP power and is indeed the ones currently being used in almost all AC non volvo coaches (the likes of ABT SETC KPN etc.)

Incidentally the first Merc Benz bus has already met with an accident (Sharma - Mumbai to Bangalore operation) I was told there was one guy who was killed, have the pics of the bus, may be would upload in a couple of days time once I transfer the pic from my camera to my comp. The bus was stationed at the accident spot for couple of days waiting to be taken away for repairs.
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:32   #27
jkv

Volvo B9R Multi axle 6x2 coaches

Volvo has recently launched the B9R Multiaxle 6x2 coaches.The bus is 13.8 metre long.It is powered with a 340HP engine and with a seating capacity of 53 seats.Sharma,Neeta and Kesineni were the first few customers.Sharma buses are plying in the blr-mumbai route.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-Benz launches Intercity coaches (2 and 3 axle)-picture-059.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz launches Intercity coaches (2 and 3 axle)-picture-081.jpg  

Old 3rd November 2008, 17:42   #28
BHPian

First pics of the B9R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv View Post
Volvo has recently launched the B9R Multiaxle 6x2 coaches.The bus is 13.8 metre long.It is powered with a 340HP engine and with a seating capacity of 53 seats.Sharma,Neeta and Kesineni were the first few customers.Sharma buses are plying in the blr-mumbai route.
Wow! Nice first pics of the B9R!

Suggestion to you or Moderators: Please move this post to this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...400-6x2-2.html
Old 3rd November 2008, 19:22   #29
BHPian

But the bus from Mercedes to me looks plastic in case of body finish. Maybe the comfort and traveling would be greater.
Old 3rd November 2008, 20:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes Bus With SutleJ Sticker on front! really Sutlej will get all the name.

a que :IS neeta a big operator?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks