Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2016, 15:16   #3721
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Many of the private operators (Kallada, Hebron, Aeon Connect, etc) were seen operating original KL/AP/AR/OD registered buses, or changing KA-51 to KL-51 and making trips
Most likely they would be doing what is in the bolded part. I don't think any of the big time players operating in the Bangalore area have many vehicles registered in KL or TN. For example even the 50 odd buses which KPN lost, majority of them were registered in KA (and because of which poor K.P Natarajan may not have been willing to take the vehicles to TN). My understanding is that laws a little relaxed in Karnataka, and so many operators prefers registering the vehicles here. This whole private bus operators operating on inter-state routes is on the gray side of the law.
Old 26th September 2016, 15:24   #3722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Can anyone confirm if the bus services between BLR to TN are back to normal ( esp KPN/SRS/SRM) ? I have to plan a trip from NGL to BLR tomorrow night.
I read in one of the Tamil dailies that private buses (KA registered) ran between Hosur and Bangalore on Sunday and that the government buses might start a day or two afterwards. However worth checking with the travels if you haven't booked your tickets, that they might still make your plans go awry is a different thing. Try Orange, I believe they have a sleeper bus registered in Arunchal Pradesh and might go through. One of them went from BLR to TVM via Hosur, Nagercoil when the protest was at its peak.

And kindly let us know afterwards about this so that we can also plan our travels
rdeivan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 22:26   #3723
BHPian

Orange for both the onwards and the return trip. No disruption in service.
Old 4th October 2016, 00:11   #3724
Distinguished - BHPian

Do we have APSRTC services between Mumbai & Hyderabad? Specifically looking from around Andheri East to Lingampally / BHEL.

Which is a better bus service to avail? Am primarily keen on a non AC bus (the Volvos give me a bad feeling with all windows closed).

I want to come back to Mumbai on Sunday early morning (@Andheri by 6 AM if possible) as I have some class to attend at 10 AM. Is there any service which starts by afternoon from Hyderabad?
Old 4th October 2016, 19:38   #3725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Which is a better bus service to avail? Am primarily keen on a non AC bus (the Volvos give me a bad feeling with all windows closed).
Even I face the same problem. I feel claustrophobic in an airtight bus. But you know what, they have eliminated almost all non-a/c service, at the least on b'lore <> m'bai sector. The one service which was there on VRL takes almost 2 hours. Never will travel again on a A/C bus, for long distances.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 12:52   #3726
BHPian

Gentlemen, have any of you tried the Asian Xpress travels Volvo? They own two brand new B9R Volvo buses [Mysore Registration KA - 09].

They operate between Bangalore and Chennai.

Excellent interiors and tastefully designed exteriors too.

The staff are very polite and helpful. They generally maintain timings too.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Thanks Pramod.
Any idea on a reliable morning service from Bangalore to Chennai which will reach Koyambedu before 1pm?
SRM Multi Axle Volvo 6AM departure from Madiwala is very reliable. It reaches Koyambedu by 11:45 PM. They price it anywhere between Rs 510 to Rs 600 usually which is quite reasonable too. However, the only catch is, they operate this service only on Mondays.

You can try the 6:00 AM Orange Travels Multi Axle Merc Benz which is priced at Rs 400 usually and operates daily.

Thanks and Regards,
Rakesh

Last edited by Zappo : 12th October 2016 at 14:47. Reason: No back to back posts please. Use Multiquote button to add more than one post in one go. Use the Edit button to add to your post in first 30 minutes. Back to back posts merged.
WAM-4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 00:20   #3727
Distinguished - BHPian

Traveled by a VRL last week, and the bus was a Multi-axle Volvo. The bus had a collison detection/avoidance system where a device fitted to the front of the bus monitors for any metallic obstacles. When it does, the driver has to acknowledge the obstacle, failing which the bus will be automatically stopped.

The detecting device is fitted at the front, between the head-lamps. There is a sensor fitted below the steering wheel (left side) - in line where we normally have the wiper control system stalk in cars. The driver has to wave his fingers in front of this sensor for the trigger to be cancelled.

Btw, does any one know what kind of collision avoidance system is this ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 06:22   #3728
Senior - BHPian

That's a collision warning and avoidance system retro fitted by VRL. Its manufacturered by an independent company based out of Pune. What you see outside is basically a radar which keeps detecting the obstacles. The control unit with its algorithm takes inputs from vehicle like speed and alarms.
They are using it for past 8 months. SRS has also shown interest and trials are going on there as well.
Ashley2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 06:50   #3729
Distinguished - BHPian

Can you shed more light on this collision avoidance system? Especially the time aspect. An object is identified, driver has to wave his hand near the sensor and if this is not done then the bus stops? How long for this entire sequence to happen?
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:34   #3730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
That's a collision warning and avoidance system retro fitted by VRL. Its manufacturered by an independent company based out of Pune. What you see outside is basically a radar which keeps detecting the obstacles. The control unit with its algorithm takes inputs from vehicle like speed and alarms
How does this work, when we are on bumper to bumper traffic and within few feets OR inches of each other?
Old 3rd November 2016, 13:57   #3731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Do we have APSRTC services between Mumbai & Hyderabad? Specifically looking from around Andheri East to Lingampally / BHEL...
Took MNT express from near Western Express Highway (Darpan) to Gachibowli. Unfortunately, the non-A/C bus they had was full and had to opt for a Volvo. Started from here at 5.15 PM (on time) and reached Gachibowli at 8.15 AM. Cost was 2500/- due to the surge pricing because of Diwali holidays.

The return was by the same bus after 3 days, charged at 1500/-. Pick up at Gachibowli @ 6.30 PM and reached Andheri at 7 AM.
Old 3rd November 2016, 15:37   #3732
Senior - BHPian

Was driving on the Bangalore - Chennai GQ route and was overtaken an extremely aggressively driven Orange Travels volvo today morning around 6:15 AM, near Hosur.

I was doing about a 100 - that bus was cutting lanes back and forth like a motorcycle ridden by a drunk student and doing near on 150. Left me far behind and I was super glad to see it go - the way its driver was driving I would have hated to have him anywhere behind me.
Old 3rd November 2016, 16:36   #3733
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone know the speed ratings for Volvo bus models in India ?
I have seen some video's where the buses are shown doing 140kmph. Considering speedo errors(?) that could still be about 130kmph ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;4086103
I was doing about a 100 - that bus was cutting lanes back and forth ... doing near on 150.
Must have been something ! Especially being able to estimate a 50 kmph difference in speed.

Btw, which model was the bus ? The speedometer in the Multi-axle (B11R) that I travelled in last week was marked for 120 kmph.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2016, 16:44   #3734
Senior - BHPian

He left me far behind. I won't argue if you tell me 140 instead of 150 kmph.

Given how dangerously he was driving I was absolutely not intent on getting close enough to tell whether it was a B11R or what - but definitely a multiaxle.

http://www.orangetravels.in shows that they have a lovely looking fleet - mostly multi axle volvo / merc / scania vehicles plus some local models for their non ac services.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 17:38   #3735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
He left me far behind. I won't argue if you tell me 140 instead of 150 kmph.

Given how dangerously he was driving I was absolutely not intent on getting close enough to tell whether it was a B11R or what - but definitely a multiaxle.

http://www.orangetravels.in shows that they have a lovely looking fleet - mostly multi axle volvo / merc / scania vehicles plus some local models for their non ac services.
It would have been the Multi Axle Mercedes Benz that Orange Travels owns.
I have seen this driver do the same type of acrobatics in the road near Vellore. He just cut through zigzagging all the way and left our Asian Xpress Volvo far behind in a flash! We were doing around 95 kmph and still that Orange Travels Merc disappeared! He must have been doing 130+ kmph speed easily. Reckless driving to say the least!

Thanks and Regards,
Rakesh
WAM-4 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks