Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2016, 12:15   #3676
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Took a "like new" Ashok Leyland SETC AC from Chennai to Trichy.The bus was commissioned in March2016 and was in impeccable shape.

Here is a synopsis of the ride.

PROS
1.Neat interiors except for some dirt on the floor courtesy some callous passenger.

2.Absolute chiller of an AC set at 24 degrees.C

3.Soothing music all through the journey

4.Smooth ride

5.Rock bottom fare - 300 bucks for a 322km ride

CONS

1.Hopeless hotel for stopover - bathrooms were bad

2.Time taken was a tad too high at 6hrs 55 mins despite a full highway ride with no entries to any town.There were some traffic issues at Vandalur but still not acceptable.

The driver -cum- conductor duo seem to have kept this bus really well. This bus did not even show one scratch ; I examined the exterior end to end.

Intercity Bus travel reviews-p_20160716_093609.jpg

Intercity Bus travel reviews-p_20160716_134729.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th July 2016 at 16:05. Reason: Note to Mods:
vigsom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 14:43   #3677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
2.Time taken was a tad too high at 6hrs 55 mins despite a full highway ride with no entries to any town.There were some traffic issues at Vandalur but still not acceptable.
Speed limited to 60 or 80? City traffic till Paranur?

Even back in my college days, Trichy-Madras used to take 6-6.5 hrs (2100 Central bus stand - 0330 at Teynampet), this was when Mamandur-Irumbuliyur was the only 4-laned section. But then, the city traffic was non existent then. TVLS (which I frequented then) started at Chintadripet at 2000 and past Tambaram by 2100 inspite of stops.

But this was in days when SETC were not speed locked nor was there this much traffic. Last year T. Nagar-Paranur took a full 2 hrs starting at 1545, it was 70 mins when I did in 2011.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2016, 16:17   #3678
Distinguished - BHPian

^^

I think the bus wasn't doing over 70kmph at any time.

In the 80s , I have experienced pure thrill on route 198L ( L for lightning) which used to do ChennaiParrys - Trichy in 6hrs flat. These buses were headed for Nagercoil .

I believe the same route , now codenamed "Nanjil" targets Chennai-Nagercoil in less than12 hrs.
Old 18th July 2016, 00:48   #3679
Senior - BHPian

The speed locking seems the issue here. Driving at 80, you'd probably achieve a 6 hr journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I have experienced pure thrill on route 198L ( L for lightning) which used to do ChennaiParrys - Trichy in 6hrs flat. These buses were headed for Nagercoil.
The 198 series and most deep south TTC buses greatly benefited from the early start timings from the city to the tune of 1530-1830. They were clear of evening city traffic and the huge trail of southbound buses from 1900-2300. There is a similar trail 1900-midnight northbound from Madurai.

During those days (when NH45 was a 2-lane highway) Ulundurpet-Trichy section experienced gridlocks during peak seasons (summer vacations, Diwali days) when the trails cross each other. The huge trails still exist, but are delayed at both ends due to the reduced travel time with 4-lanes.

Thanks for reminding the good old TTC route numbers
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 14:43   #3680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
The speed locking seems the issue here. Driving at 80, you'd probably achieve a 6 hr journey

The 198 series and most deep south TTC buses greatly benefited from the early start timings from the city to the tune of 1530-1830. They were clear of evening city traffic and the huge trail of southbound buses from 1900-2300. There is a similar trail 1900-midnight northbound from Madurai.

During those days (when NH45 was a 2-lane highway) Ulundurpet-Trichy section experienced gridlocks during peak seasons (summer vacations, Diwali days) when the trails cross each other. The huge trails still exist, but are delayed at both ends due to the reduced travel time with 4-lanes.

Thanks for reminding the good old TTC route numbers
The Super Delux buses used to come via beach road reaching Guindy skipping most of Mount Road, that used to be a super timer saver for them. Also the 2 railway crossings in NH45 between Ulundurpet & Villupuram were the biggest source of gridlocks during night.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 09:18   #3681
BANNED

Hey Guys, I am back after a loooong time on this thread. I had to go to Mysore due to an emergency. Here's the summary of the journey that I undertook:

Sector 1) Hyderabad to Mysore

Operator Name: Orange Tours & Travels
Booked at: PayTm
Vehicle Make: Mercedes-Benz
Vehicle Type: Multi Axle Semi Sleeper (2+2)
Seat Chosen: Second row window (B1)
Reporting Time: 07:30 pm
Actual Time of Departure: 07:45 pm
STA: 07:00 am
Actual Time of Arrival: 07:10 am
Cost: ₹1060
Operator Code: OTT39

Sector 2) Mysore to Hyderabad

Operator Name: Orange Tours & Travels
Booked at: PayTm
Vehicle Make: Mercedes-Benz
Vehicle Type: Multi Axle Semi Sleeper (2+2)
Seat Chosen: Third row window (C1)
Reporting Time: 06:45 pm
Actual Time of Departure: 07:00 pm
STA: 08:00 am
Actual Time of Arrival: 08:10 am
Cost: ₹1060
Operator Code: OTT40

Funny part, the bus and the whole staff was the same for both the journey's so it was peaceful.

The Bus:
Intercity Bus travel reviews-img_20160803_204138.jpg

It had 9.7L kms IIRC on its odometer. There was a CEL light which I asked him to clear ASAP after reaching Hyderabad as it wasn't good driving around with that light ON. He agreed for it and assured me the same to be rectified.

Blanket - Washed and dry-cleaned, Water bottle, snacks and WiFi enabling instructions

Intercity Bus travel reviews-img_20160803_184804.jpg

Been long since I went on a bus journey so was surprised to see this on the bus:

Intercity Bus travel reviews-img_20160803_184811.jpg

EDIT:

This one had last rear axle steerable. Was this there since start? I don't remember seeing it hence the question.

Last edited by a4anurag : 4th August 2016 at 09:43.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 13:46   #3682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It had 9.7L kms IIRC on its odometer. There was a CEL light which I asked him to clear ASAP after reaching Hyderabad as it wasn't good driving around with that light ON. He agreed for it and assured me the same to be rectified.
Blanket - Washed and dry-cleaned, Water bottle, snacks and WiFi enabling instructions
EDIT:
This one had last rear axle steerable. Was this there since start? I don't remember seeing it hence the question.
With Orange travels, the basic stuff is generally good. What is a CEL light? I didn't get you.

Also the steerable rear axle is a standard feature right from the beginning in the Mercedes.

Cheers,
AB
Old 4th August 2016, 13:47   #3683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
With Orange travels, the basic stuff is generally good. What is a CEL light? I didn't get you.

Also the steerable rear axle is a standard feature right from the beginning in the Mercedes.

Cheers,
AB
"Check Engine Light" - which if it lights up is an indication of some fault in the engine that needs to be checked ASAP.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 13:54   #3684
BANNED

Quote:
CEL is the light on the instrumentation console that lights up when one or more parameter in a car's functioning is off the set limits. The problem is stored in the ECU in the form of DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). Scanning the ECU, a code will appear that is used to understand what the actual problem is and why has the CEL lit up on the instrumentation console.

A thread for reading: OBD for Dummies
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 16:00   #3685
CGB
BHPian

Before an year, There were a couple of Volvo 8400's plying between chennai-trichy. Have travelled in them regularly and they maintain 80-90. Fare was Rs.330. Travel time was 5:30-6 hours. Once the bus was full, No breaks in between other than for a tea, Travel time was 05:30 hours. But owing to poor service and feedback, the service was stopped.
Old 4th August 2016, 22:45   #3686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Before an year, There were a couple of Volvo 8400's plying between chennai-trichy. Have travelled in them regularly and they maintain 80-90. Fare was Rs.330. Travel time was 5:30-6 hours. Once the bus was full, No breaks in between other than for a tea, Travel time was 05:30 hours. But owing to poor service and feedback, the service was stopped.
Were these the same JNNURM Volvo 8400s which are used for the city service and the service between Chennai to Pondy as well?

Also, I guess TNSTC is the only transport corporation in the entire south India which doesn't have any Volvo's for the inter-city travel apart from the above mentioned JNNURM Volvo city buses being used.

So disappointing.

They should Ideally move all the existing buses from SETC to TSTC and introduce Volvo buses for SETC and set it back as the luxury service above the TSTC.

Or just scrap the service and move everything under TSTC.

I used to love Thiruvalluvar buses for their shapes and Thandai Periyar buses.
bhaskar.guru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 09:33   #3687
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
Were these the same JNNURM Volvo 8400s which are used for the city service and the service between Chennai to Pondy as well?
Yes those same JNNURM Volvo 8400's. Those services are now from chennai-vellore, chennai-pondy, chennai-kanchipuram

Also, I guess TNSTC is the only transport corporation in the entire south India which doesn't have any Volvo's for the inter-city travel apart from the above mentioned JNNURM Volvo city buses being used. Speed limiter set to 80kmph takes so much time for the buses going very south bound into the state, and people are now opting for private operators.

Quote:
They should Ideally move all the existing buses from SETC to TSTC and introduce Volvo buses for SETC and set it back as the luxury service above the TSTC.
True. And Tamil Nadu is the only state in south india which doesn't even have ONE volve in their fleet for intercity travel. They must learn from the adjoining states.
CGB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 10:06   #3688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Quote:
The earlier generation of Mercedes Benz never had a steerable tag axle. Infact, the first generation Mercedes Benz buses did not even have a bogie lift, which made these buses unsuitable for ghat routes, and that dented their sales even further.

The present generation of coaches (SHD 2436) are the first Mercedes coaches in India to have steerable axle and bogie lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
Yes those same JNNURM Volvo 8400's. Those services are now from chennai-vellore, chennai-pondy, chennai-kanchipuram
No. Its not the JnNURM buses that were used by TNSTC. When MTC received their new fleet of JnNURM funded Volvos, the older ones (which were bought with SG funding) were kicked out to TNSTC. Those buses were refitted with better seats and used for intercity services.
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2016, 10:46   #3689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The earlier generation of Mercedes Benz never had a steerable tag axle. Infact, the first generation Mercedes Benz buses did not even have a bogie lift, which made these buses unsuitable for ghat routes, and that dented their sales even further.
The present generation of coaches (SHD 2436) are the first Mercedes coaches in India to have steerable axle and bogie lift.
My bad.. I jumbled up in the axle layout / positioning and the steerable axle.
Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers
AB
Old 5th August 2016, 11:43   #3690
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
No. Its not the JnNURM buses that were used by TNSTC. When MTC received their new fleet of JnNURM funded Volvos, the older ones (which were bought with SG funding) were kicked out to TNSTC. Those buses were refitted with better seats and used for intercity services.
They didnt have better seats. They are the same seats found in MTC buses. Travelling in them gives more saddle sore than my D390 Upright seating position and hard seats makes me think i'm sitting in a wooden stool. Only convenience is AC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks