Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 18:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India

I'm using the same thread to update you guys as I feel this is an add-on to my Mahindra Classic.

Finally I managed to acquire a Trailer for my Jeep. Had options to choose between Mahindra (Dunlop) trailer and Bantam trailer, since my Jeep is classic and opted the Mahindra Trailer.

Another reason to choose the trailer is that, this one comes with the break setup from tow bar. Whenever break applied to the Jeep the bar engages the breaks so the Trailer won't hit the Jeep damaging the chassis.

Here are the pics of my Trailer.
Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image206.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image207.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image208.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image210.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image211.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image212.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image213.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image214.jpg

Trailers for carrying jeeps & farm purposes - What, How in India-image216.jpg
trammway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2009, 19:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its good,
But I am not able to understand what use will this come in for???
Also What was the price paid
Old 16th February 2009, 19:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Oh yeah, I would have said it earlier. Actually I bought this trailer for my farm use and logistic purposes.

Since my jeep is a SWB, I have very little cargo space and the trailer fulfills the needed space to carry stuffs.

I paid 12K for the Trailer and 7K for registration. So the sandblasting, Metal Primer coating and Transparent Enamel paint coating to be added in the expense of 2.5K

Last edited by trammway : 16th February 2009 at 19:43.
Old 16th February 2009, 19:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

Interestingly, the trailer is within another trailer.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2009, 19:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Since my jeep is a SWB, I have very little cargo space and the trailer fulfills the needed space to carry stuffs.

I paid 12K for the Trailer and 7K for registration. So the sandblasting, Metal Primer coating and Transparent Enamel paint coating to be added in the expense of 2.5K
WHAT!!!!
The trailer has to be registered separately??? This is news to me!!!
Why is that so??
I always thought that the trailer carries the same number of the vehicle that it is being hooked to!
Guess I was wrong
Old 16th February 2009, 20:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
WHAT!!!!
The trailer has to be registered separately??? This is news to me!!!
Why is that so??
I always thought that the trailer carries the same number of the vehicle that it is being hooked to!
Guess I was wrong
Hi Harjeev,

The trailer has to be registered separatly. Even here in Maharashtra, farmers use tractors for Sugarcane supply to factory and they use 1-2 trailers depending on tractor/trailer capacity. All these trailers are registered as per their load capacity.

It has separate no also.

Tarkesh
Ricky_3007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2009, 20:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_3007 View Post
Hi Harjeev,

The trailer has to be registered separatly. Even here in Maharashtra, farmers use tractors for Sugarcane supply to factory and they use 1-2 trailers depending on tractor/trailer capacity. All these trailers are registered as per their load capacity.

It has separate no also.

Tarkesh

Thats true.

Harjeev, One needs to get the trailer registered separately to drive it on the road legally.

But most of the Jeep trailers are not registered as they never or rarely touch the roads of urbanized community hence there is no problem.

I may be taking the trailer often to my village and chennai so to be on the safer side, I'm registering it now.
Old 16th February 2009, 20:49   #8
BHPian

@Trammway: Thats a nice trailer you found. I would also love to have a trailer for my 3B, but do not have a parking space for it. Could you please post following details of the other (Bantam) Trailer?

a) What year is the trailer?
b) Dimensions (approx) of the Trailer
c) Asking price

Also, please post pictures of the Trailer. Is it the same as the one that Dussey has?
Old 16th February 2009, 20:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
@Trammway: Thats a nice trailer you found. I would also love to have a trailer for my 3B, but do not have a parking space for it. Could you please post following details of the other (Bantam) Trailer?

a) What year is the trailer?
b) Dimensions (approx) of the Trailer
c) Asking price

Also, please post pictures of the Trailer. Is it the same as the one that Dussey has?

Actually the Bantam was available when I was negotiating, now the bantam has been taken by Anjan (Jeep Thrills - Founder).

There are still about 10 number of Dunlop trailers are found on the Godown as claimed by the seller. I'm going to buy one more for my friend Sunil from bangalore, so I will be visiting the godown in couple of days. I will get some pics of available trailers during that visit.

Price part is the same range as I bought and registration etc. are same.

The mahindra and bantan trailers got same dimensions and I have not geometric information as of now.

These trailers may be from 90s and I'm still not seen the papers as the registration process is carried over by the Vendor.

The difference between Bantam and Mahindra trailers are:

1. Mahindra Trailers are equipped with Break assy. with the hook bar and emergency breaks.
2. Mahindra Trailers got cross bar to manually pull the trailer, this could be folded down when towing
3. Mahindra Trailers are got smalls hooks inside and outer side of the body
4. Mahindra Trailers got tools box on the right side of the outer body wall
5. Mahindra Trailers got Quadrilateral shaped mudguards and box typed mudguards

1. Bantam Trailers got no break assy but equipped with emergency break
2. Bantam Trailers got round shaped mudguard
3. Bantam Trailers got wiring for rear taillamp which could be attached with the Jeep (advantage)
4. Bantam Trailers were easy operatable when taking reverse as there is no breaks attached in the tow bar, the Mahindra's normally hit the break and makes bit tough for reverse operations.

Last edited by trammway : 16th February 2009 at 21:06.
Old 7th March 2009, 12:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

What a nice story Trammway. I started reading from night, till i went to sleep and first thing in morning finished till 9th page. You and you Classic have a strong bond. The way you have made it very good even the tyres and soft top is most practical.

Now looking forward to photos with trailer. One can also make a caravan out of trailer and go to distant places sleeping in it while driver drives to the offroad destination.

PS: Are these tyres available in Jaipur. I found the website though:

SICHUAN HAIDA TYRE GROUP CO.,LTD. --SICHUAN TYRE & RUBBER CO.,LTD.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 7th March 2009 at 12:48.
Old 8th March 2009, 10:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
What a nice story Trammway. I started reading from night, till i went to sleep and first thing in morning finished till 9th page. You and you Classic have a strong bond. The way you have made it very good even the tyres and soft top is most practical.

Now looking forward to photos with trailer. One can also make a caravan out of trailer and go to distant places sleeping in it while driver drives to the offroad destination.

PS: Are these tyres available in Jaipur. I found the website though:

SICHUAN HAIDA TYRE GROUP CO.,LTD. --SICHUAN TYRE & RUBBER CO.,LTD.
Thanks for the encouraging words.

The trailer is still sitting on the truck as the paper work is taking its own course of time. The reason is that the RTO guys are not really familiar with the process.

Once the paper works are over, I will take the trailer to the sand blasting unit and do bit of body repair.

I'm not sure of the tyres availability in Jaipur. And yes, the link you posted is the company mfd. my tyres. They are really good, I'm going pro Chinese now... They price Indians the same way they price to other countries in the world. Unless the other car brands who normally mfd. goods in India for cheap labor and raw material and price the products really sky rocking high.
Thanks for your encouraging words.

Actually the trailer is still on the truck, not even brought it down as the legal formalities are taking it's own course. The reason is that the RTO people are not really familiar with the trailer registration. Once the registration process is getting over, I will do cleaning and painting of the trailer in my sand blasting unit.

I'm not sure if the tyres could be sourced from Jaipur,
Old 11th March 2009, 13:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

@tramway
As you have already bought the trailer, could you please do let me know whether this trailer can be modified to mount a CJ3b on top of it. Is it big enough?
By modify I mean is the floor (after we remove the side walls) will be able to accomodate a CJ3B on top of it.
I am asking as just got a weird idea of using it as a trailer for transporting cj3b's over long distances 200-300kms by towing with a diesel vehicle!!!

Also are you the same guy that also has a M&M Classic blog on blogspot??
Old 11th March 2009, 16:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

to
harjeev
you will have to fabricate trailer like that.
you should see this.
to
trammway

please post pics of bantam trailers.
Old 11th March 2009, 16:08   #14
BHPian

Mods, this is OT. Please start a new thread and merge this discussion if you think it is required

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I am asking as just got a weird idea of using it as a trailer for transporting cj3b's over long distances 200-300kms by towing with a diesel vehicle!!!
Not a weird idea at all Harjeev. I have often pondered about this. I have seen trailers hauled by normal passenger cars in Australia. It is interesting to see the variety of things people haul in these trailers - boats, horses, race cars, off-roaders, ATVs, caravans....the list goes on.

I think trailers are convenient and a possible solution to the below mentioned Off-roading problem in particular:

At the recent OTR at Munnar, I would have loved to take my Willys Jeep, but dreaded at the thought of driving my Petrol 3B over a distance of ~700 kms(to and from Bangalore) to off-road at Munnar. Fuel Costs is only one of my worries, top speed of ~60km/hr (ratio is 5.38:1), comfort of co-passengers, handling, fatigue and lagging behind the group are other worries. Many others were sporty enough to drive the distance but admit, it was a pain. Infact, Samurai drove ~500 one way in his CJ3B while his family followed in an Innova. If trailer was an option, I am sure he would have happily hauled the trailer (with the 3B) with his GV.

So Siva & Others, could we discuss the legalities (apart from registration) and other issues in using a trailer. Some questions that come to my mind are:
1) Can I tow a registered trailer with my passenger car (say Maruti Esteem)?
2) Can I use a trailer with two or more different vehicles? If yes, do I need to register the same trailer to another vehicle?
3) Can I cross state borders? Will I have to pay additional toll at a toll point?
4) Is there a restriction on how much tonnage I can carry? Does this depend on the vehicle used to tow?
5) Any other do's and don'ts?

The possibilities are immense and we could probably be setting a trend in India. Let us discuss this to see if it is feasible.

Edit: Saw Jeepster's link to another thread where this has been discussed briefly. Mods, since there is sufficient interest, could you please start a new thread on this topic. Thanks.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 11th March 2009 at 16:21.
Old 11th March 2009, 17:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Dear Santhosh,
Brilliant idea. I always wanted a trailer to carry my bike along.
I do not know if we could travel at a speed beyond 60kmph with a trailer carrying a 3B but we definitely would have a comfortable journey.
Very useful thread Santhosh.
Cheers,
Deepak

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks