Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 21:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

@ vinod! this may be 2wd 207, it may be available in 4x4 form too.

tata has a whole new website for defence vehicle. check it out. ask them if they sell it to civys.

TATA Motors | Tactical Vehicles
Old 25th April 2009, 00:31   #47
Senior - BHPian

The 207 DI does not come in 4wd form even for army use. I have confirmed it through my friend who has tata showroom.The engine gearbox combo can not accommodate the transfer case with Independent suspension. That the reason given.
By the way the TL and 207 DI are based on same chassis.If I am not mistaken.

Last edited by dinar : 25th April 2009 at 00:37.
Old 25th April 2009, 05:18   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
The 207 DI does not come in 4wd form even for army use. I have confirmed it through my friend who has tata showroom.The engine gearbox combo can not accommodate the transfer case with Independent suspension. That the reason given.
Dinar and Vinod are right. I wanted to replace my 207 double can with a 4WD version. I wanted the DI engine since my tatamobile is used to lug loads in the hills and I need something that is build for low end torque rather than high rev bhp. I tried a number of people in Tata and all got back to me saying that if I wanted 4WD, I would have to get the 2.0 TICIC engine telcoline/TL.
Old 25th April 2009, 07:49   #49
Senior - BHPian

a friend of mine drove down from Switzerland in a Swiss Army Spec Merc 4x4. They had converted it into a mobile home with some really powerful lights and winches.
Also, it was a petrol engine.
Old 25th April 2009, 14:30   #50
BHPian

This post brings back a lot of memories!

way back in 2001, I helped convert a 2nd hand Tempo Traveller into a mobile home kinda vehicle for a client who had to regularly commute between his office in pune and his factory in mahad.

The best thing about the Traveller is that Mercedes lineage engine and the humongous amount of space. This frame has a lot of potential, and lottsa space to put all those useful things: including 2 rear executive seats in the extreme rear, one of which hid a toilet under the foldable seat! There is certainly no ack of space, but this is not a car that is particularly driver friendly. So as a chaffeur driven mobile home: its perfect. But if you plan to be driving it around yourself, its not much fun! Unless you plan to spend a packet in doing up the "cockpit" as well!

As for 4WD: is it REALLY necessary? Even much of Ladakh can be covered without using 4WD.

A better platform for a tourer in my opinion would be Versa (perhaps with a Swift Diesel powerplant) or to upsize I would buy a Tata Winger high-roof cargo version and then work off that.
Old 25th April 2009, 17:05   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
This post brings back a lot of memories!

way back in 2001, I helped convert a 2nd hand Tempo Traveller into a mobile home kinda vehicle for a client who had to regularly commute between his office in pune and his factory in mahad.
Do you have any pictures of the same?

Quote:

The best thing about the Traveller is that Mercedes lineage engine and the humongous amount of space. This frame has a lot of potential, and lottsa space to put all those useful things: including 2 rear executive seats in the extreme rear, one of which hid a toilet under the foldable seat! There is certainly no ack of space, but this is not a car that is particularly driver friendly. So as a chaffeur driven mobile home: its perfect. But if you plan to be driving it around yourself, its not much fun! Unless you plan to spend a packet in doing up the "cockpit" as well!
I guess with OM611 TT is getting released in May. 138 PS engine should make driving fun. I wont be using a driver.

Quote:
As for 4WD: is it REALLY necessary? Even much of Ladakh can be covered without using 4WD.
I think that would be required. As even for stopping I would like to move bit far from road to get much needed privacy and who knows when we might need 4x4 application. Prevention better than cure!

Quote:

A better platform for a tourer in my opinion would be Versa (perhaps with a Swift Diesel powerplant) or to upsize I would buy a Tata Winger high-roof cargo version and then work off that.
I guess they dont have enough ground clearance and I doubt on comfort. With tata the biggest issue is their engine. My Safari Dicor is troubling me in 65K kms. So am trying to avoid tata.
Old 25th April 2009, 22:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
First showroom people have inadequate knowledge about the products. Atleast i have encountered it many times.

Check the following
Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-tata-ambu.jpg

Quote:
Dinar and Vinod are right. I wanted to replace my 207 double can with a 4WD version. I wanted the DI engine since my tatamobile is used to lug loads in the hills and I need something that is build for low end torque rather than high rev bhp. I tried a number of people in Tata and all got back to me saying that if I wanted 4WD, I would have to get the 2.0 TICIC engine telcoline/TL.
Short lived Safari dicor 3.0litre did came in 4x4 version

Last edited by SirAlec : 25th April 2009 at 22:49.
Old 25th April 2009, 23:54   #53
Senior - BHPian

Nice find SirAlec, these are recent development.Plus it does not mention the engine gear box combo.The TL looks the same, the site does not mention anything about the front suspension either. And the showroom people do have inadequate Knowledge, if your a customer come in to buy a car or just for a test drive, not when the owner is your best friend from collage.
And the 3.0L safari is based on a different chassis.

Last edited by dinar : 26th April 2009 at 00:09.
Old 26th April 2009, 20:39   #54
BHPian

I think the Tata guys also came out with a nice looking camper (civilian) on the same platform, though a bit different and better looking. It had the entire rear caravan box going over the cab to, and thats where they had put the beds. I saw the pictures, but i just can't seem to find them.

Why do i have this feeling i saw those pictures on this site itself?
Old 26th April 2009, 21:07   #55
BHPian

Found it guys, it's here(though iwas wrong it was launched by tata themselves, seems like the guy did this all by himself)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...er-anyone.html (An indian camper anyone?)

Brutus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2009, 21:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hey brutus this once built by a pune based company, there was a similar one built by a company in belgaum [karnataka] in late 90s, it was in red color and based on the Tatmobile 207.
Old 26th April 2009, 22:15   #57
BHPian

Thanks, Dinar. I've seen the Red one, i think some news team ( NDTV??? ) use's them in CHD, but i heard some say they were basically a DC job, though i don't recall ever seeing any DC logo on it.
Old 26th April 2009, 22:29   #58
Senior - BHPian

The one your talking about are the news coverage vans, some of them were designed by DC, the NDTV and some other channel. Others have just copied them.
What I am talking about is a caravan based on the tatamobile, the older version [first generation] I think I have photo some place will have to dig through the pile of mags.
Old 27th April 2009, 11:06   #59
Senior - BHPian

@brutus- Nice find! :-))

@Siralec- Thanks for correcting. Your logic seems to be right, when they can have 3.0 docor with 4x4 then why not on 207 Di? but again in picture seem to suggest 2wd. May be it is 4wd adaptable. They seem to have put wrong picture...same with TATA 407 4x4 picture:-)))
Old 25th September 2009, 12:36   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
@ brutus.

Its this one
Attachment 128823

I found his website
India Overland

@ vinod.
Tata did make 207 in 4x4 for export. It is called telcoline, i guess.
TATA do supply 207 Vajra to army. I am not sure its 4x4 or not.\

Guess what 207 ambulance supplied to army is AWD
I met them camping in Agonda, Goa; I was parked next to them [in my Swaraj Mazda camper] for a few days.
"They must have used half a steel yard building this thing!" he told me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks