Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2009, 12:47   #31
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I am not very sure about what engine it has but does the Sumo 4x4 offer the 3.0 DI? If so its the perfect donor vehicle for parts
Old 17th December 2009, 13:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I am not very sure about what engine it has but does the Sumo 4x4 offer the 3.0 DI? If so its the perfect donor vehicle for parts
No Sumo 4x4 has TCIC engine. But safari could also be better donor of parts. There are plenty of TCIC 4x4's in used market. One must be lucky to source them.
Old 17th December 2009, 13:05   #33
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Vinod I have not studied this issue in detail but my hunch is the 3.0 DI is a tall engine and will pose a problem in terms of space for the front diff setup. I think to make this a 4x4 you may even need to swap the engine which makes the whole exercise unviable. What do you think?
Old 17th December 2009, 13:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vinod I have not studied this issue in detail but my hunch is the 3.0 DI is a tall engine and will pose a problem in terms of space for the front diff setup. I think to make this a 4x4 you may even need to swap the engine which makes the whole exercise unviable. What do you think?
The 3.0L engine came with 4x4 in the safari, the tranfer case will fit straight way, problem is the front suspension, the 4x4 suspension is torsion bar and the 2wd one is coil sprung. so the is a major modification.
The front diff can fit with the oil sump changed to the dicor [safari 3.0L] one[if any changes are there].
Also remember the same engine came in the xenon with 4x4 setup in Thailand and rest of the world.
And as far a TATAs go they try to fit same components to as many variate as they can , to keep the cost down [so called].

Last edited by dinar : 17th December 2009 at 13:15.
Old 17th December 2009, 13:21   #35
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
The 3.0L engine came with 4x4 in the safari, the tranfer case will fit straight way
So I guess what one should do is buy a used entire front suspension and transfer case, have it reconditioned and install in place of the IFS

Good let me explore this option. I would love to convert my 207. That engine is a beast and will lug itself in any condition

Last edited by DKG : 17th December 2009 at 13:22.
Old 17th December 2009, 13:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So I guess what one should do is buy a used entire front suspension and transfer case, have it reconditioned and install in place of the IFS

Good let me explore this option. I would love to convert my 207. That engine is a beast and will lug itself in any condition
Yes, the rest of part will fit easily. You need to buy the rear diff also , it has a LSD.
Old 17th December 2009, 13:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
.....the interiors are simply ghastly looking. Its like they employed a bunch of autorickshaw drivers to work on the interior design ! .................
Well people have the same complaint with even the Xenon also. So thats quite expected for the way cheaper version in TL. Though i guess for a vehicle of this sort its more important to 've a good mechanical performance & reliability than the interiors. Gypsy has its own league and might 've better interiors also, but if someone is looking at a 4x4 vehicle which can serve as long distance family tourer/camper + pretty decent off-roader with fair amount of creature comforts at below 7L price range, this is the one. The option becomes obvious if one desires to 've a pick-up version, as I do
Old 17th December 2009, 14:04   #38
BHPian

Quote:
....it's not a TL but a 207DI , thats the one with 3.0L engine. One question where was the vehicle from in Karnataka?? it has a private plate. Looks like it's been used as a commercial vehicle.
It is from Bangalore, you can find it on Kamaraj road, in the parking lot near the Army School.
I too admire that vehicle when ever I see it there, but it is an old one, i think this pic was taken when 'White' plates were for commercial vehicles.
Old 17th December 2009, 14:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
It is from Bangalore, you can find it on Kamaraj road, in the parking lot near the Army School.
I too admire that vehicle when ever I see it there, but it is an old one, i think this pic was taken when 'White' plates were for commercial vehicles.
I doubt it, the indica and the ambi in the first pic have yellow plates and also if the 207 has older plates ,there was a rule that all commercial vehicle have the numbers on the both sides in the rear.
Plus the 207DI was launched in 2002 and the new format was enforced in the 90s.
So this mean that the banglore RTO can register a 207DI as private.
Old 17th December 2009, 15:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Problem is getting those parts.

for the conversion you are looking at roughly around 1.5-1.8 Lac budget with used parts.

There are some in the used car market here at around 3.9-5.5 LACs. so you can get a decent pickup for around that much problem here too is very few 4x4s, most of the TLs on the road are 2wds.
1.5 to 1.8 i think its not worth doing it.

Do you have any pointers regarding second hand 4X4 TL?

Thanks for the information guys!

Cheers,
L&S.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:06   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt it, the indica and the ambi in the first pic have yellow plates and also if the 207 has older plates ,there was a rule that all commercial vehicle have the numbers on the both sides in the rear.
Plus the 207DI was launched in 2002 and the new format was enforced in the 90s.
So this mean that the banglore RTO can register a 207DI as private.
Now that is what i call a thorough analysis

But when you can register an auto as private, whey cant you do register a 207 DI. Let me chk the RTO website if they have a list.
Old 17th December 2009, 19:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Now that is what i call a thorough analysis

But when you can register an auto as private, whey cant you do register a 207 DI. Let me chk the RTO website if they have a list.
I have been with local RTO for this couple of times, including photos from belgaum [where i had seen private reg 207DIs for the first time] there is one even with GA reg, but when I had gone , I was given a explanation the this vehicle is registered as goods carrier by TATA and does not have seats behind, so it can not be done. also another reason [the official or genuine one may say] is that Commercial vehicles are given concession on the emission and safety requirements compared to non commercial vehicle.
Even Bangalore guy have mentioned on the forum that this is the case.
But please do find out.

@lancer&shogun .
The conversion is Ok if you happen to have a 207di, not if your looking at buying a new or a used one and than converting it, it'll be same as buying a used TL.
I have no clue as to where to find a TL in your place buddy. but here in goa there where couple for sale. and the prices where really tempting [as I mentioned] if you find a 4x4 TL please check the front suspension and under carriage for damage [these are an issue on used one].
Most of the owner who buy a TL4x4 know what they are buying and the reason for buying, so they are used to the fullest extent.
Unlike the 2WDs the are just bought for the bling factor [at here in goa]

Last edited by dinar : 17th December 2009 at 19:42.
Old 16th August 2011, 20:51   #43
BHPian

re: Tatamobile 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
i know its but this is the best looking TL i've seen by far.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ata-207-a.html

Check quote # 6
Old 16th August 2011, 23:51   #44
Senior - BHPian

IMO the best one is this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ta-estate.html

or a 4x4 207.
Tatamobile 207-5500x500.jpg
rgds,
Nikhil
Old 3rd June 2018, 11:46   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this pic on the web - loaded on the site Pintrest.

( this is a saved image of the thumbnail. Couldnt get any further details )

Tatamobile 207-tatamobilemodded.jpg
condor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks