Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2009, 18:01   #1
BHPian

Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.

Guys, check out indigenously developed Military vehicles developed by Shrilakshmi Defence Solutions Ltd

source: Shrilakshmi Defence Solutions Ltd.

DHRUV, a perfect patrol vehicle for police forces to tackle in urban areas, has comfortable seating for a fully equipped response team of ten to twelve men and is based on the Ford F550 American chassis. The special air-conditioning vehicle with working space, rotating turrets and exceptionally viewing large armored glass has been developed on Indian right hand drive chassis with a protection level of B4 can be also uparmored to B7, with runflat tyres and after armouring having an excess playload of four tons with a top speed of 95 kmph.

“VIPER”, the fast moving armoured vehicle is suitably customized for attacking with B7+ proof accessories. It has four side doors, a single rear luggage door, rotating turret & cross-country, a pick up van style for additional and heavy payload. This vehicle carries a total crew complement of Six and is armored to exceed the European B7+ armor.
Attached Thumbnails
Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.-1.jpg  

Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.-image003.jpg  

anmol2k4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2009, 19:33   #2
BHPian

Very nice. The Dhruv's underbody seems spartan. I know of these high ground clearance vehicles to be used for patrolling landmine and other explosive devise laden areas.
Old 10th October 2009, 21:07   #3

Viper is licensed produced gurkha lapv by canadian firm Armet Armored Vehicles.checkout Armet Armored Vehicles.
dont know about dhruv though.
Old 10th October 2009, 21:10   #4
BANNED

I've never seen any of our defense forces using these machines. Are they developed and built for the export market? Which is the base for Viper?
The vehicles look well built! 95Kmph is a good speed for a vehicle like Dhruv.
Old 12th October 2009, 11:57   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I've never seen any of our defense forces using these machines. Are they developed and built for the export market? Which is the base for Viper?
I've not exactly seen these machines in action, but a close friend of mine is in the Army and he was showing me pictures of his posting in the North-East and Naxalite areas, where they were patrolling the area in a similar vehicle.
Old 12th October 2009, 13:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
I've not exactly seen these machines in action, but a close friend of mine is in the Army and he was showing me pictures of his posting in the North-East and Naxalite areas, where they were patrolling the area in a similar vehicle.
No, neither of these are used by the Indian Army to my knowledge. These have probably been developed as showcase vehicles in order to evince interest from the Forces
Old 12th October 2009, 19:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrozenFire View Post
No, neither of these are used by the Indian Army to my knowledge. These have probably been developed as showcase vehicles in order to evince interest from the Forces

True.. not exactly these machines, but similar ones. Pictures wouldn't lie
Old 12th October 2009, 20:02   #8
BANNED

When DC went bonkers on the Bandra Sea Link. I noticed an armoured vehicle in the back ground.

DNA Epaper-Mumbai

Source: DNA newspaper
Old 12th October 2009, 20:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
When DC went bonkers on the Bandra Sea Link. I noticed an armoured vehicle in the back ground.

DNA Epaper-Mumbai

Source: DNA newspaper

Thats Mumbai Police's Armored Anti-Terror Vehicle Mahindra Marksman, which Mahindra license manufactures (Licensed from some Israeli company)

Untitled-1

Last edited by anmol2k4 : 12th October 2009 at 20:18.
Old 12th October 2009, 21:10   #10
BHPian

anmol beat me to it, yes its Mahindra Marksman in the background.

Our Armed forces do use various APC and MPV vehicles. The largest fleet is of Casspir MPVs (our Army have 255 of these vehicles, purchased from South African Defence Forces). Infact these vehicles are in the pictures posted by many newspapers about the ongoing anti-naxal operations.

Indian Army also uses other Armoured vehicles like Ferret, BRDM-2, BMP-2.

Quote:
The indigenous mine-protected vehicle.

The vehicle is planned to be mass-produced in two types, a Mahindra & Mahindra jeep model with a seating capacity of six and an Ashok Leyland model with a seating capacity of 12. The cost of the vehicles are reportedly cheaper than the Casspir MPVs that are being brought from South Africa. In December 2001, India Defence Consultants {IDC} reported that 150 new landmine-resistant armoured vehicles, worth $14 million, to augment the second-hand Casspir MPVs imported from South Africa were discussed and it likely that BEML (Bharat Earth Movers Limited) may supply these. In early November 2001 when Defence Secretary Yogendra Narain visited Moscow with Prime Minister A.B. Vajpayee he discussed acquiring MPVs from Russia. Medak's Ordnance Factory has supplied MPVs to Jharkand and Hyderabad Police Forces and has versions ready for the Army at lower costs.
Source: Bharat-Rakshak

Cheers!
Vaspro
Old 12th October 2009, 21:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

here is everyone's favourite vehicle which is eagerly awaited in its civillian avtar or as an ex-army disposal instead of MM 550s!
Attached Thumbnails
Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.-20a99go.jpg  

Indigenously developed Military Vehicles.-2vxp1fb.jpg  

Old 12th October 2009, 21:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
You probably saw Casspir(?) MPV's - Mine Protected Vehicles. The army imported some from South Africa and then DRDO made an indigenous one which was as good as any and much cheaper. Many state police forces fighting in Naxal areas use these vehicles for patrolling.
Old 12th October 2009, 21:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
here is everyone's favourite vehicle which is eagerly awaited in its civillian avtar or as an ex-army disposal instead of MM 550s!
in the second page transmission says : rear wheeled drive
but i remember reading about this in the OD that it has a Borg Warner automatic transmission- supposed to be 4 wheeled drive or am i missing something here?

Last edited by somspaple : 12th October 2009 at 21:55. Reason: 2 wheel to rear
Old 13th October 2009, 08:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

the srilakshmi seems to be manufacturing this under license. So i dont think the "indigenous" part comes in. Shaktiman would be indigenous! and considering its still going strong after nearly 100 years (Kidding)
Old 13th October 2009, 11:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
Shaktiman would be indigenous! and considering its still going strong after nearly 100 years (Kidding)
Shakti+MAN

Quote:
The first Shaktiman rolled off the production line at the now Vehicle Factory Jabalpur (VFJ) in June 1959. The Shaktiman was based on a MAN design and was initially assembled from components supplied by Germany, but as production built up an increasing number of the components were supplied by Indian companies.
Shaktiman (4 x 4) 4,000 kg truck (India) - Jane's Military Vehicles and Logistics

Not exactly indigenous.

Most Viewed