Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 08:16   #76
BHPian

I think this is good decision. It's not about this car, it should be for all cars which have similar issues. The BHPians should not compare this vehicle against someone else.
We need to keep in mind that people who are travelling in these vehicles have no idea about safety features. They just want cheap ticket to some place. They assume the "nothing will happen to them". The vehicles used for public transport should be more secure than vehicles used for private travel. When you sit in private car like Alto, you know you / your family own it, you know it don't have xx safety features, your driver will drive it at proper speed, it will be responsible driving (hope so).
When it's used for public as taxi, people sitting in car have no idea about safety features neither the driver's skills, style of driving. If such people lose life, Govt is responsible for allowing such vehicles on road as taxi.
Take an example, will we allow airplanes with just some basic braking system and without any safety features installed? The answer is "NO", because manufacturer, Govt bodies need to proactive enough to take care of safety of passengers. Planes are operated by experienced pilots then also we care about safety, why not for vehicles on road? Same thought process should be for vehicles on road.

Take example of Mumbai Sea link accident in last week, Wagon R which got hit by Skoda car, killed passengers, if it would have some safety features in Wagon R, may be some one would have been saved.

Vehicles used as cabs/ taxi must have following features.
1. ABS
2. Airbags for front, side impact
3. Stability control
4. tracking system (for police to track)
5. Speed lock
6. Cams to monitor passengers activity (In US some cabs have it, it will help to check if passengers do not fit bombs in taxi and leave it).
7. Driver info must be displayed in taxi with local police nos. Driver must have police clearance along with RTO license (to ensure criminals don't drive you)
8. some std safety features used by US cabs.
9. Cab must display owner's name, address, contact no, vehicle running on CNG/ any fuel, Vehicle RTO approval expire date.

Last edited by mrkanitkar : 16th December 2009 at 08:24.
Old 16th December 2009, 08:35   #77
BHPian

Good decision -- though late in a day!

Fully agree to the decision and fellow bhpian mrkantikar's views on stringent rules for public travel and mandatory features. Unfortunately, our taxi segements and unworthy drivers (generally) is more inclined in cutting corners by using cheap and not maintained cars, to milk more money. In such mentality, it is up to government to come up with regulations to ensure the safety of occupants.

I see hoards of Omnis used as school vans (with custom fitted LPG/CNG) on Pune roads stinking with gas smell moment you pass by. I would love to see such rules enforcement, thus saving the innocent young lives before its too late.
Old 16th December 2009, 08:54   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkanitkar View Post
I think this is good decision. .....

9. Cab must display owner's name, address, contact no, vehicle running on CNG/ any fuel, Vehicle RTO approval expire date.
i will add only one thing to list.

10. a cab should have a driver with "driving sense"

thats what is lacking in most of the cabbies

Indian govt must enforces traffic rules to every one especially cabs,buses and auto ricks.

they should first ban those noisy autos in Bangalore.
Old 16th December 2009, 10:08   #79
BHPian

Few days back I had an idea of using biometric device to validate licensed driver to start engine.
The user experience should be.
1. Open the car with keys or whatever
2. Before you start engine, swap the license smart card (in Pune you get smart card).
3. Give thumb impression to some scanner installed next to steering
4. System will validate the thumb impression with impression given on smart card and start engine.
5. System can also keep this data in some recorder for 60 days & can update any tracking system (if Police set up) about the driver info.
This is not rocket science, it's simple technique. It will not cost more than 3-5 K INR.
Old 16th December 2009, 10:11   #80
BANNED

Make standards first

Quote:
I think this is good decision. It's not about this car, it should be for all cars which have similar issues.
That is the whole point of this discussion. This ban is limited to the OMNI only and hence is not at all justified.
Let the Central Govt or the WB Govt,which pretends to have some very noble intentions, introduce a system/template for taxi validation and then subject all its vehicles which intend to be registered as taxis to it.

That is responsibility. This is cheap partiality.
Old 16th December 2009, 12:04   #81
BHPian

Quote:

Take example of Mumbai Sea link accident in last week, Wagon R which got hit by Skoda car, killed passengers, if it would have some safety features in Wagon R, may be some one would have been saved.
I think in that case the speople in the Wagon R survived. Victim was in Skoda. I am not justifying anything here. Just trying to get the facts right. I mean no offense.

Also recently in Delhi, the CNG vehicles caught fire. Govt did not put the stringent guidelines for forcing these vehicles to undergo checkups at regular intervals. so when the govt. is trying to do something different we must appriciate that but at the same time, the same govt. should take action against other faulty vehicles too. If they pick one brand, they are going to get opposed like in this thread. I am sure in WB there are very old taxi's running in form of amby's. Now I am sure they will not have any of the safety features apart from the heavy built of the car.

I agree with n.devdath.

Last edited by Atul-C : 16th December 2009 at 12:05.
Old 16th December 2009, 12:08   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vehicles used as cabs/ taxi must have following features.
1. ABS
3. Stability control
5. Speed lock
6. Cams to monitor passengers activity (In US some cabs have it, it will help to check if passengers do not fit bombs in taxi and leave it).
7. Driver info must be displayed in taxi with local police nos. Driver must have police clearance along with RTO license (to ensure criminals don't drive you)
Then they will have to charge maybe Rs 50 per KM! Do you think it is practical?
Old 16th December 2009, 12:27   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I agree with you. I think while giving special licences like this there should be extra strict Driving test for them. The linceces should be revoked after three complaints. If these things are made as strict rules I think we will have some relief. Banning a vehicle does not help.

There is nothing like bad vehicle. There is only a bad driver. As it is said in some movie - Cars dont win races. Drivers Win.
Old 16th December 2009, 12:34   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
In long run yes , If there were no cheap autos Janata will demand better bus and urban transport and Netas will be forced to listen.
Just check what happens if a local train is delayed in Mumbai.

As of today urban mass transport in our top 10 cities in shambles because there is cheap alternative. In long run it should be cheap mass transport and costly but safe taxis in big cities.
Old 16th December 2009, 13:04   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. ABS
3. Stability control
5. Speed lock
1,2 and 3 are unrealistic. The rest are possible to implement easily and I don't know what comes under 8.
Old 30th December 2009, 15:48   #86
BHPian

I also recommend Tata Magic to be banned too. Why only Maruti Omni. It is very much similar to Omni if you are looking at the speed of the vehicle and the safety norms and being used as Taxi in many places.
Old 30th December 2009, 16:09   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
In long run yes , If there were no cheap autos Janata will demand better bus and urban transport and Netas will be forced to listen.
Just check what happens if a local train is delayed in Mumbai.

As of today urban mass transport in our top 10 cities in shambles because there is cheap alternative. In long run it should be cheap mass transport and costly but safe taxis in big cities.
@ Rs 12.00 per KM, the Omni taxi is not cheap. Not even autos, which charge about Rs 8.00 per KM. Not when compared to public transport. They are not the reason for the lack of adequate public transport in many cities. What you state is akin to saying bread is dear because cakes are cheap and easily available! It is a chicken and egg situation.

Safety features are a value addition, I dare say even a luxury in our context. And value addition comes only when certain basic needs are fulfilled first. And what safety features are built in to our buses? If such features are to be built in to them also, what happens to their fares? These things should be viewed from the perspective of the poorer sections of society, and not from that of people such as us, who can commute to work and back in A/C cars!

Last edited by Gansan : 30th December 2009 at 16:19.
Old 30th December 2009, 19:50   #88
BHPian

I am not sure, if this is a great decision unless we know, what will now take the role of Omni in WB. Does anyone know that? I do hope something better will.

BH.
Old 30th December 2009, 20:02   #89
Senior - BHPian

Today's newspaper states that the transport dept of WB has mandated all school pool cars be registered as commercial vehicles (which shall then be compelled to get a C/F) and has reiterated that omni CANNOT be used as a school pool car. The pool car owners are naturally being their mean selves and hitting back by saying that school kids are due to suffer, as 65% of all school pool cars are maruti omni, and they shall start an agitation.

I welcome this decision with open arms, as many potential accidents are to be averted like this.
An ill maintained omni running on illegal home LPG carrying 12 small school kids is the worst(and deadliest) way to get to school. (and I have witnessed this scene multiple times)

Last edited by blackasta : 30th December 2009 at 20:05.
Old 30th December 2009, 20:53   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
I am not sure, if this is a great decision unless we know, what will now take the role of Omni in WB. Does anyone know that? I do hope something better will.

BH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
An ill maintained omni running on illegal home LPG carrying 12 small school kids is the worst(and deadliest) way to get to school. (and I have witnessed this scene multiple times)
This type of illegal operation with domestic cylinders is what must be banned, not Omni itself. That will be like throwing the baby out with the bath water! What about autorickshaws transporting 7 - 8 kids to school? And what about Vikram autos operated as share autos in which even standing passengers are allowed?

I have already said this, and will repeat again; Banning the Omni from taxi trade while it is legally allowed to be sold in the country will not hold water. The company as well as operators are sure to go to court over this ban, and the courts will shoot it down.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks