Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 12:33   #856
Zed
BHPian

Re: Ashok Leyland unveils India’s first 37-tonne haulage truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
But as I have hinted the partnership of AMW with Paccar and if it materializes then the combo can be better.

Because globally Paccar is the only big group away from India and I am sure they wanted to enter India.
Was there something in the press or is this information from private sources ? There was some press coverage related to Paccar India's strategy during the Expo - i.e starting an engineering centre, sourcing office as step 1 and formulating a Truck manufacturing \ sales strategy as a progressive next step. I did not hear anything about a AMW - PACCAR link.
Old 17th January 2012, 21:38   #857
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ashok Leyland unveils India’s first 37-tonne haulage truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Is this a joke? The AMW above is an obvious copy of Volvo's flagship dump truck.

Can the Chinese make anything that's original? What's the competitive advantage here? Certainly technology isn't. Do they even do R&D or is everything sourced from European corporations via intellectual property theft.

So is AMW India a Chinese franchise or is it Indian and only the cabs or sourced from China?
Chinese will take the podium for the worlds best copy cat event if at all held.
Find some examples.

The first below one is my image taken at 2009 Bangkok International Motor Show.
Cherry QQ Vs Matiz / Spark

The Heavy Trucks thread-img_1399.jpg

The Heavy Trucks thread-img_1400.jpg

Mercedes Benz C Class Vs Geely Merrie 300

Neoplan Starliner Vs Zonda A9

Source for other images.

AMW has nothing to do with Chinese companies and they just source their components - cabin in this case, from China, as like many other indian companies do.
AMW is a Indian company owned by Essar group.
In my thoughts if Reliance is for backward integration, AMW/Essar is for Vertical Integration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Was there something in the press or is this information from private sources ? There was some press coverage related to Paccar India's strategy during the Expo - i.e starting an engineering centre, sourcing office as step 1 and formulating a Truck manufacturing \ sales strategy as a progressive next step. I did not hear anything about a AMW - PACCAR link.
There was a news earlier but after which there is no big talks.
Now since the tipper bodies are made by AMW, I guessed this JV could go live soon.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 02:36   #858
BANNED

Re: The Heavy Trucks thread

So the AMW Group is an assembler isn't it? It looks like the company sources pre-fabs and puts them together. What exactly do they make? I wonder if their leaf springs are also from China.

Good thing TATA and Leyland do a lot of in-house engineering. At least their trucks don't have distasteful flaming stickers!
Old 18th January 2012, 14:36   #859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
So the AMW Group is an assembler isn't it? It looks like the company sources pre-fabs and puts them together. What exactly do they make? I wonder if their leaf springs are also from China.

Good thing TATA and Leyland do a lot of in-house engineering. At least their trucks don't have distasteful flaming stickers!
Yes, AMW does the assembly in house. They make frame side members and tipper bodies. Leaf springs afaik are from china.

But by and large many Indian companies including the ones you have quoted source components / design from china but they do their own validation / engineering.

In my opinion what AMW highly lacks is product engineering which is very much essential for a company in a long haul.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 18th January 2012 at 14:39.
Old 18th January 2012, 22:47   #860
Distinguished - BHPian

3723 from AMW
The Heavy Trucks thread-dsc05634.jpg

Quote:
Leaf springs afaik are from china.
No.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 01:08   #861
BANNED

Quote:

In my opinion what AMW highly lacks is product engineering which is very much essential for a company in a long haul.

That's why I am surprised by AMW. I don't understand their company, the AMW acronym itself is somewhat a mockery of BMW. Of course, BMW doesn't have rights over "motor works", it's just english. But the cheap chrome on the cab grille, the flames on the side, the sourcing of cabs from China!?

In essence they don't make anything?

If AMW went public I wouldn't buy the stock.

Ashley , what's AMW's marketshare right now? And what reason does one have to buy an AMW over a Tata,Leyland, Eicher, or a Mahindra. Besides price(if that's a factor).

Last edited by D33-PAC : 19th January 2012 at 01:10.
Old 20th January 2012, 22:48   #862
BHPian

I have noticed one common thing among AL, AMW and Corona..The rear wheel hubs look exactly the same as the AL ones. Do they all use Meritor Axles?
For the TM ones, front and rear wheels bear the Tata logo at the centre.
Attached Thumbnails
The Heavy Trucks thread-2222.jpg  

Old 21st January 2012, 09:11   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnath View Post
I have noticed one common thing among AL, AMW and Corona..The rear wheel hubs look exactly the same as the AL ones. Do they all use Meritor Axles?
3-4 years ago, I have noticed that some batch of Tata 2516 tippers used to have rear axles like the AL kind, that looks like open/close parenthesis with a dot in between "(.)". These used to be ones with the blue-colored load body. I was told that these were mfd in TM's Jamshedpur plant. But these days, even the blue-colored load-body TM tippers have the regular Tata logo'ed rear axles.

Would like someone to throw some light on (the history of) this.

/Venkat
Old 21st January 2012, 16:08   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, they source from Meritor.
Even Man Airobus also source from Meritor only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
3-4 years ago, I have noticed that some batch of Tata 2516 tippers used to have rear axles like the AL kind, that looks like open/close parenthesis with a dot in between "(.)". These used to be ones with the blue-colored load body. I was told that these were mfd in TM's Jamshedpur plant. But these days, even the blue-colored load-body TM tippers have the regular Tata logo'ed rear axles.

Would like someone to throw some light on (the history of) this.

/Venkat

I was not aware of Meritor axles in TM vehicles.
What specific product was that?
Old 21st January 2012, 17:00   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, they source from Meritor.
Even Man Airobus also source from Meritor only.
The AL vikings/cheetahs Stage carriage buses in kerala still have that old dash [-]type rearaxle. Who manufactures them?
Another observation based on comparison between private vs KeSRTC [222''WB]buses..Correct me if i'm wrong...The 222"WB Vikings have [(.)] type rear axle and 210"WB vikings and cheetahs have the older [-] type rear axle.
Old 21st January 2012, 17:06   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The AL vikings/cheetahs Stage carriage buses in kerala still have that old dash [-]type rearaxle. Who manufactures them?
Another observation based on comparison between private vs KeSRTC [222''WB]buses..Correct me if i'm wrong...The 222"WB Vikings have [(.)] type rear axle and 210"WB vikings and cheetahs have the older [-] type rear axle.
They are Dana Spicer.
Based upon the products/ requirements and rear axle ratios' axles are chossen between Dana and Meritor
Old 21st January 2012, 20:21   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
that old dash [-]type rearaxle.

The 222"WB Vikings have [(.)] type rear axle
Not able to make out the difference between the two. Can someone post pics of the two types?
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:38   #868
Team-BHP Support

Last evening while returning from Bombay on the expressway, I saw 3 x Tata Prima trucks with a trailer bed to load an Army tank being driving towards Bombay. They looked mean in their matt finished Military Green shade and were driven nicely in a row. Sorry I couldn't get pictures but it seems that the Tata has caught a right customer.
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:19   #869
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if this is the right threat to post this query.
During the 80's and early 90's in Bangalore, IndianOil used to run a AL Tractor Trailer oil tanker, a Comet if I remember right within the city from their depot in Banasawadi.
It caught my attention since IndanOil had their own trucks with the red and white theme and IndianOil written in huge fonts on the sides of the tank and the trailer looked way ahead for the time. It had a double axle trailer which which had the tanker sloping backwards which I have no clue why, and the sides of the wheels were covered with metal mesh. It was not a long trailer, used to catch everyone's attention since that was the only (or one of the 2) oil tankers running in the city. Hell, Shell is the only one I have seen after that, and that too inside their factory compund!
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:34   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I am not sure if this is the right threat to post this query.
This is not at all a "threat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
During the 80's and early 90's in Bangalore, IndianOil used to run a AL Tractor Trailer oil tanker, a Comet if I remember right within the city from their depot in Banasawadi...
It must've been a Taurus, not Comet. Almost all the trailer tankers had a slope towards the rear, IIRC.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks