Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 10:46   #16
BANNED

These are going to turn into another headache.

Problem is good vehicle with bad drivers.

First the autorickshaw drivers need to be disciplined. Imagine these standing on the busy roads, taking uturns, coming down the wrong side.

Eliminate rickshaws and improve public transport.
Old 11th March 2010, 10:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Me too spotted one!

Spotted an orange example sometime last week while I was coming back from work. It was difficult to determine as it was nighttime, but I think it was a full soft top. Two heavy cans were in the passenger space for load testing (I am assuming).
The engine was exposed and was making a racket like a 6-seater rickshaw.
But I have to admit it looks quite a bit more interesting than the Bajaj rick.
Old 11th March 2010, 10:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

I am sure it won't be putt, putt, putt, putttttrerrrrrrrrrrr....like the rickshaw!
Old 11th March 2010, 11:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
So I am afraid that very few customers will find travelling in Iris a reasonable option if fare increases.
Here in Bangalore autowalas charges are very close to taxi, so given a choice I will surely take iris and it looks very cute too.
Old 13th March 2010, 13:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
I did spot 1 IRIS being tested in Nigdi a week back. Was in a moving bus and took the picture with cell phone. Picture quality is not good. Interestingly this one didn't have the headlights as shown at auto Expo. Just couple of round basic lights(i think for testing only).

Looks like cannot post picture from off network. Will upload in evening.
Heres the picture of the iris tested in real world condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Iris, Tata's quirky little Bajaj auto rival-img00023.jpg  

Old 13th March 2010, 14:17   #21
BANNED

If this vehicle ends up as competition to the RE rick, it is sure a deserving slap on face of Bajaj. I feel that Bajaj went overboard with their their 1 lakh car during Nano launch. That was bad on part of Bajaj, because all they had was a 1 lakh car wish, not a concept, not even a design.

I fervently hope that some four wheeler does really replaces the misguided missiles on our roads.
Old 13th March 2010, 16:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Far from competing with Bajaj RE/TVS Arjun,the Iris will end up ferrying school kids in urban/semi-urban areas and used as a public transport in rural areas.It'll just play the role of the Ace Magic in a better and stylish way!

That ain't bad,because it will be refreshing and more easy on the pockets than ominous Omnis and ramshackle Hindustan Trekkers.
Old 13th March 2010, 18:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Though this might look better than a Bajaj RE Rick, but I guess the autowallahs will not make a beeline for it. Mainly because of that handlebar in a rick that has a direct conection to the single frontwheel enabling the thing to turn on its head. Even on an existing Bajaj RE, replace the handlebar with a steering and a reduction gear so that the operator has to turn more, most of these folks would "straighten" up.
Old 18th March 2010, 14:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Cant they just remove the doors off of a Nano to use as a Auto?

Ultimately, people in India should realize the dirt that gets thrown out in the air by the engines will have a bad effect on health (its already happening). I don't know why pollution standards are so retarded for public transport vehicles when they are the ones that travel the most.
Not meant to disparage, but dosen't your second statement contradict the first?
Actually this vehicle makes a case for better protection from environmental pollution by not letting all of it in through the open door.Of course that is just a hypothesis, but at least you could say it won't let the pollution in to the extent that your clothes smell of it. That is in a way thoughtful to me.If they remove the doors on a Nano, sure it is a cost saving, but what's the point? After 30 years of a small step forward in the basic vehicle category, there should be some improvement, no?
Old 18th March 2010, 14:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
If this vehicle ends up as competition to the RE rick, it is sure a deserving slap on face of Bajaj. I feel that Bajaj went overboard with their their 1 lakh car during Nano launch. That was bad on part of Bajaj, because all they had was a 1 lakh car wish, not a concept, not even a design.
and you beat me to it. It let off some steam off the Nano launch.
Bajaj thought TATA were hell bent on eliminating 2 wheelers all together.
So the lesson is: What do you get if you step on TATA's tail, an IRIS.
Quote:
I fervently hope that some four wheeler does really replaces the misguided missiles on our roads.
Well it would be more of a menace IMO. Imagine opening doors in thick traffic. Almost impossible.
Old 18th March 2010, 14:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

i find the length of the vehicle a little longer for it to compete against the Bajaj RE, infact i feel this is more of a competitior to the Minidor and the likes
Old 18th March 2010, 18:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering as to how Bajaj has managed to run a two pronged approach to their Auto. business.

On one hand they have a bike like the Pulsar, which set a benchmark when it was launched and have seen make overs, updates, new engines and options ( a 135, 150, 180 & 220 ). They introduced into the mass market things like alloys, gas charged dampners, lcd speedos, rear discs etc.. Actually the Pulsar makes a proud example to show the world what an Indian co. can achieve and gives the best in the world a run for their money. (Please dont compare this with the likes of R1s, CBRs etc..talking from a sub 250cc context)

On the other hand the RE is based on a 55 YEAR OLD design. I cant even imagine the kind of money Bajaj has made from this especially since it has demand globally and a virtual monopoly in India. Other than market demands and pollution norms dictating newer engine variants (diesel, 4stroke...) this company has never bothered to improve comfort or safety. No doubt this mode of transport has served the country well, but thats no excuse for having to live with something like this in today's world.

It is highly irresponsible of a cash rich and technically competitive co. like Bajaj showing absolutely no interest in the evolution (and a long overdue revolution) of such a profitable and important product/segment.
They owe this to the country.
Old 18th March 2010, 20:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Just wondering as to how Bajaj has managed to run a two pronged approach to their Auto. business.

On one hand they have a bike like the Pulsar, which set a benchmark when it was launched and have seen make overs, updates, new engines and options ( a 135, 150, 180 & 220 ). They introduced into the mass market things like alloys, gas charged dampners, lcd speedos, rear discs etc.. Actually the Pulsar makes a proud example to show the world what an Indian co. can achieve and gives the best in the world a run for their money. (Please dont compare this with the likes of R1s, CBRs etc..talking from a sub 250cc context)

On the other hand the RE is based on a 55 YEAR OLD design. I cant even imagine the kind of money Bajaj has made from this especially since it has demand globally and a virtual monopoly in India. Other than market demands and pollution norms dictating newer engine variants (diesel, 4stroke...) this company has never bothered to improve comfort or safety. No doubt this mode of transport has served the country well, but thats no excuse for having to live with something like this in today's world.

It is highly irresponsible of a cash rich and technically competitive co. like Bajaj showing absolutely no interest in the evolution (and a long overdue revolution) of such a profitable and important product/segment.
They owe this to the country.

I totally agree with you. Actually Sri Lanka banned Bajaj's auto rik's. A much smaller country but better in thought and implementation. These rik's are the most polluting vehicles on the road. As SRISHIVA was saying on this thread, why have lower polluting standards for public transport vehicles and two wheeler's. What right does they have to pollute more.

Originally Posted by srishiva
I don't know why pollution standards are so retarded for public transport vehicles when they are the ones that travel the most.
Old 18th March 2010, 20:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

Very true. I was there during the 06 Autoshow. What Bajaj did was simply crude and cheap. In fact that was the tea topic for journalists. It was distasteful. One of the financial papers (either BS or ET) ran a superb article next day on Bajaj's achievements and how they plan to conquer the fourwheeler market. The last para went something along this lines....

"This company is well placed to succeed with its small car. Now only if they learnt some old-fashioned humility!"

Back to the topic I simply love this IRIS. Its fresh, unique, filled with character, styled with imagination and (from whatever we know) does what it is supposed to do. How many modern cars tick these parameters? Sadly, just a few.
Old 18th March 2010, 20:56   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
These are going to turn into another headache.

Problem is good vehicle with bad drivers.

First the autorickshaw drivers need to be disciplined. Imagine these standing on the busy roads, taking uturns, coming down the wrong side.

Eliminate rickshaws and improve public transport.
True.

Last week i spotted a silver Nano on St. Johns road driven like an auto!
I guess its just an IDIOT who became environment-friendly...but traffic-unfriendly.

-- Torqy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks