Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 00:22   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I was told an interesting bit of information. TVS has AL dealerships all across TN. Irizar TVS builds AL bodies, yet TVS logistics has a Tata fleet. Is this true?
This incongruity has been there for several decades from the Southern Roadways days of TVS. They were and still are the largest dealers for AL, but they used to run Premier trucks for some reason, and when they folded up, they switched over to Tata. Something to do with the fact that they required only lower capacity trucks - since they were mainly light parcel carrier/service, and not heavy bulk cargo - and maybe AL did not have a product in that category, don't know exactly why.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2010, 07:49   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
This is the bus that you've described - its a Leyland Panther
I am not so sure if this is the one. The one I am talking about had its Air Conditioning driven by the engine itself. This bus appears to have the Air Conditioning equipment on the side.

The acceleration was superb. Leyland should seriously re introduce this bus. The refinement is quite close to a Volvo but I cannot say the same thing about the space and overall technology. Whatever it is, this is a very good bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
Why does the Marcopolo Tata Buses have a tendency to spew out black smoke.
Volvo City Buses suffer from the same problem. You can't call it a problem. The Automatic Gear Box does not down shift as the engine is still in its prime Torque band so the very low RPM's cause this but its only for a few seconds. Once required speed is gained the smoke stops.

You will notice this on diesel cars too.
Old 31st May 2010, 10:08   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am not so sure if this is the one. The one I am talking about had its Air Conditioning driven by the engine itself. This bus appears to have the Air Conditioning equipment on the side.
It has to be that bus only. This is the only Leyland RE air suspension AC bus which existed a few years ago. Now, a couple of RE CNG AC buses of AL have been inducted into the fleet. But a few years ago there was only one such bus, whose pic has been posted by binaiks.
Old 31st May 2010, 17:42   #79
santoshnair

hey guys any idea abt this bus...i had seen this long back in south mumbai...pic is not mine tho...any idea abt the config and make of this AL
Attached Thumbnails
Tata vs Ashok Leyland: CV & HCV only-bestleyland.jpg  

Old 1st June 2010, 10:58   #80
BHPian

from the looks of this bus, my mind is saying that this is a Panther.
Old 1st June 2010, 11:00   #81
Senior - BHPian

If i am not wrong, this is an AL rear engine diesel bus in the BEST fleet.. MH01 LA 5170, its the only one such model in the fleet, another one is L 8647 which is also rear engine but it has A/C and automatic transmission
Old 1st June 2010, 11:05   #82
santoshnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
If i am not wrong, this is an AL rear engine diesel bus in the BEST fleet.. MH01 LA 5170, its the only one such model in the fleet, another one is L 8647 which is also rear engine but it has A/C and automatic transmission

any idea why BEST never went ahead with it...when i saw it resting at KalaGhoda it looked wonderfulll

Old 2nd June 2010, 09:10   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

EDIT:
by the way, can we bring Eicher in picture too? i am seeing a lot of eicher buses in mumbai these days probably due to the fact that a call centre near my house has a contract with a bus operator named 'Sai Service'. they have around 20-25 buses in our area & all are eicher.
Raj, this thread was started with one very clear motive.
"What makes some customers buy a TATA and others an AL for the same capacity vehicle/chassis since these are the two biggest competitors in India for the most commonly used M&HCV segment today. "

I would not recommend bringing in Eicher here.
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:30   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Raj, this thread was started with one very clear motive.
"What makes some customers buy a TATA and others an AL for the same capacity vehicle/chassis since these are the two biggest competitors in India for the most commonly used M&HCV segment today. "

I would not recommend bringing in Eicher here.
no issues. aye aye sir.

we may start a new tata v/s AL v/s eicher v/s all other brands in another thread.
Old 4th June 2010, 08:20   #85
BHPian

A surprising comment..."According to Srinivas Chilukuri, general manager, the Daimler group commands 13 percent market share in the 250,000 units per annum eight tonne gross vehicle weight (GVW) bus segment globally, followed by India's Ashok Leyland"

Source: Mercedes Benz to drive in to city bus segment-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

When did AL become second largest bus maker globally??? Till recently Tata was claiming this!
Old 4th June 2010, 10:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Things would be interesting with Mahindra joining the race and slowly GM getting into it.
Isnt Mahindra almost getting there? I see some ads in the Auto Mags w.r.t this.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:10   #87
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Ashley2;1912159

Till date there are more than 56000 Stallions been sold to Indian Army.
I was told this is the single largest fleet of any brand in any army.
[/quote]

I have not much idea about HCVs but Stallions are also manufactured by heavy vehicle factory Jabalpur. AFAIK Stallion is originally an East European truck which was localized for Indian Army.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:22   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I have not much idea about HCVs but Stallions are also manufactured by heavy vehicle factory Jabalpur. AFAIK Stallion is originally an East European truck which was localized for Indian Army.
Stallions are manufactured at the Army's Heavy Vehicles Factory, Jabalpur, under license from Ashok Leyland.

You will note from teh link below, that the engine is mentioned to be AL's own.
Ashok Leyland Stallion Mk.4 General Utility Truck | Military-Today.com

In another article, it mentions that YAK, a derivative of Stallion, has a IVECO engine:

Ashok Leyland Defence - News

The final word on the matter can come from only Jane's, which clearly states that the Stallion engine is AL, but "Hino-derived", that since AL had a long collaboration with HIno for engine research since the early '80s, and many of its engines are Hino deisgns.

Ashok Leyland Stallion Mk III 7,500/5,000 kg (4 x 4) truck (India) - Jane's Military Vehicles and Logistics
Old 4th June 2010, 16:28   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
no issues. aye aye sir.

we may start a new tata v/s AL v/s eicher v/s all other brands in another thread.
why not mr.RAJ , will be such a good topic . cant resist to have one as eicher is catching up very fast with these two . look at their VE range and the harculis 3125..
start a thread please ...
Old 4th June 2010, 16:39   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Stallions are manufactured at the Army's Heavy Vehicles Factory, Jabalpur, under license from Ashok Leyland.
Just one more info , BEML Campus is visible from my office building and they have a batch of new Stallion trucks ( more then 50 as of today) standing in yard. The daily production adds to the numbers in this yard and one fine day when yard is full all of them suddenly disappear

BEML manufactures railway coach and Tetra trucks but I have seen many times batches of Stallions also don't know what is the deal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks