Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2010, 20:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help regarding a vehicle for Mobile Soil Testing Lab

Why are you overshooting your GVW by a good 6 tons. The Ecomet as mentioned in the brochure is 12.9ton GVW while yo need to look at something within 6-7 tons. Wont that reduce your costs further. Or is it that you want a Leyland?? If you are going in for a truck you might look at the Tata 709 or 712, or the Eicher 10.90 or 10.95.
Old 19th December 2010, 21:32   #17
BHPian

Its better to go for a longer version of any goods cowl chassis. It will help you to built the body like a bus (a closed van) incorporating all the specifications & instruments. Instead of Ecomet1212, you may try AL STAG goods chassis or Tata LPT712 cowl chassis.
Old 21st December 2010, 09:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Why are you overshooting your GVW by a good 6 tons. The Ecomet as mentioned in the brochure is 12.9ton GVW while yo need to look at something within 6-7 tons.
this is what they want me to buy from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transsenger View Post
Instead of Ecomet1212, you may try AL STAG goods chassis or Tata LPT712 cowl chassis.
at my second visit to Ashok Leyland they gave me the stag brochure.
yet to get the prices.
Help regarding a vehicle for Mobile Soil Testing Lab-scan0001-large.jpg

Help regarding a vehicle for Mobile Soil Testing Lab-scan0002-large.jpg
Old 21st December 2010, 10:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

@jeepster: I believe this vehicle would be used for a long time of say atleast 10 years. So please go in for a vehicle which is selling well. You dont want to do jugaad when parts are not available.

This was the reason we did not go in for the M&M cabking or whatever their lcv was called and instead opted for a swaraj mazda at the time of purchase. Good decision as we need this vehicle to work well when required.

One more is do not go for the high capacity vehicle when there is no requirement for the same. Just know what you want and get it. You do not want to burn excess fuel just coz you went for a high load vehicle.
Old 21st December 2010, 20:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
this is what they want me to buy from them.

at my second visit to Ashok Leyland they gave me the stag brochure.
yet to get the prices.
Attachment 471821

Attachment 471822
I have personally experienced the reliability of STAG. Its one of the best we can get. Moreover its engineered in such a way that the entire front cowl is just similar to any big AL bus chassis, the engine mounted at the front most end of the chassis. But no other LCV, (709, eicher, mazda) does have that convenience, as their engine is mounted a little bit backward from the front end.I am not sure how well you can understand this, unless you go & see the difference. Anyway, both Ecomet & Stag is in no way inferior to others.
Old 22nd December 2010, 08:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Since Stag is also available in cowl/chassis, you can choose that, as you will be unnecessarily removing the seats, close windows while you build your test lab.
Also keep in mind as you will be having some testing equipments installed, better to go for a bus chassis rather that to a truck chassis as the earlier will have some soft suspension.
Also the length of stag will be 4.9M WB will generate ample space for you.
So my recommendations are - Bus chassis ( only with cowl) and with the larger WB.
I feel stag does meet this requirements.
Also the point told by Transsenger is very valid.
Do take a look at that and conclude.
Old 22nd December 2010, 19:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the engine mounted at the front most end of the chassis. But no other LCV, (709, eicher, mazda) does have that convenience, as their engine is mounted a little bit backward from the front end.
what is the fuel efficiency of stag?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
Since Stag is also available in cowl/chassis, you can choose that, as you will be unnecessarily removing the seats, close windows while you build your test lab.

Also the length of stag will be 4.9M WB will generate ample space for you.
So my recommendations are - Bus chassis ( only with cowl) and with the larger WB.
I feel stag does meet this requirements.
  • the stag cowl chassis is quoted at 7.7 L for 3600mm WB.
  • the stag FB bus is quoted at 11.3L for 3600mm WB.
also got the quotations for the Eicher buses today.
  • 10.50 bus chassis 3350mm 6,02,654/-
  • 10.75 bus chassis WB(?) 7,47,115/-
  • 10.50 starline FB bus 23+2+1 at 8,61,810/-
  • 10.75 starline FB bus 27+2+1 at 9,22,014/-
  • 10.50 skyline FB bus seating ? price ?
  • 10.75 skyline FB bus 27+2+1 at 12,03,026/-
tomorrow i will get quotations for force buses.

as i said before the budget for base vehicle with internal furnishing & AC is 15 L.

also i am not too sure that i will get the cowl chassis + body + interior + AC in 15 L.

so 10.50 starline fully built bus at 8.6 L looks good as i get 4~5 L for interior & AC.

Help regarding a vehicle for Mobile Soil Testing Lab-eicheruploadcv1050buschassis_b.jpg

Help regarding a vehicle for Mobile Soil Testing Lab-eicheruploadcv1075hfacecowl_b.jpg

Help regarding a vehicle for Mobile Soil Testing Lab-eicheruploadcvstarlinestaffisometric_b.jpg

Help regarding a vehicle for Mobile Soil Testing Lab-eicheruploadcvskylineexecutive_b.jpg

Last edited by jeepster : 22nd December 2010 at 19:08.
Old 22nd December 2010, 19:47   #23
BHPian

In the 6-7t Payload Category, there is no four wheeler truck available. All trucks in this range are 6 tyre trucks.

6t payload - Eicher 10.90
6.5t payload - Eicher 10.95, Tata 912, Swaraj Mazda Super, ALL 912
7t payload - Swaraj Mazda Samrat
7.5t payload - Eicher 11.10, Tata 1112, ALL 1112

As your application requires length rather than over all load. Would suggest go in for the longer wheelbase

Swaraj Mazda Super and Eicher 10.90 are available in 4800 WB having 21ft Cargo Area
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

yes but in the limited budget of 15 L longer models are out of limit.
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:52   #25
BANNED

What you need

First, let us have a look at the Government's requirements.

You are required to have a 2M X 3.45M lab room plus a 1M x 2 M generator room, and a separate driver cabin.

Assuming a 2 meter vehicle width, this translates into at least 4.45M length, excluding driver cabin. You are looking for a vehicle with 7 meter or more overall length.

You will require a separate cabin, IMO, because in case of overnight stays / female lab technicians, they will require separate sleeping / rest / rest space from the driver.

So, I will suggest a vehicle with a factory built front tiltable driver cabin with a container type lab / generator room - like the one in post 6 of this thread. Or if it is a bus type vehicle, have separate driver cabin, with a separate door to the rear.

The container - on - a - truck type vehicle will provide you with better ground clearance on the rural roads.

The bus type one will, of course, look more appealing. You can ask for better GC build. Do NOT go for a factory built body. It will be sheer waste of money.

You may want to talk to any RTO official / agent and take advice on road tax implications of opbting between truck and bus chassis.

You can consider the Lynx, Stag, both from AL, and also the Tata SFC 709 and / or 709 / 713 series. Dunno about other brands.

For feedback / ownership about Lynx, look at this thread and PM its starter, raj, for more info.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...g-8-9-a-2.html

Do not go by info provided by the manufacturers on their respective websites. Both AL and Tata need to pull up their socks on keeping the web sites upto date with products in the market. Talk to dealers about options available. They may, like car dealerships, try to push down unsold stock to you.

Edit:- The dealers may also guide you on possibility of sourcing an extra long chassis on a normal (ie., lower powered) engine.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 22nd December 2010 at 20:56.
Old 22nd December 2010, 22:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: What you need

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
  1. You are required to have a 2M X 3.45M lab room plus a 1M x 2 M generator room, and a separate driver cabin.
  2. you will require a separate cabin, IMO, because in case of overnight stays / female lab technicians, they will require separate sleeping / rest / rest space from the driver.
  3. The bus type one will, of course, look more appealing. You can ask for better GC build. Do NOT go for a factory built body. It will be sheer waste of money.
  4. You may want to talk to any RTO official / agent and take advice on road tax implications of opbting between truck and bus chassis.
  5. You can consider the Lynx, Stag, both from AL, and also the Tata SFC 709 and / or 709 / 713 series. Dunno about other brands.
the government rules are never clear.

the quoted lab area is the minimum requirement. (& no female technician)

the sleeping arrangement is required for one person only. (driver)

chassis with cabin will cost more. (budget is strictly 15L for vehicle with AC & interior)
  • AL Ecomet 912 with 3600mm WB 8.6 L
  • AL Ecomet 1012 with 3970mm WB 8.5 L
cost of body, interior & AC is additional.
  • AL Lynx chassis 3900mm WB 9 L
  • AL Lynx FB bus 3900mm 13 L.
cost of interior & AC is additional.

so currently Eicher starline 10.50 fully built bus @ 8.61 L is looking best.

thanks will contact RTO agent.

EDIT: the container type body is not good option as most of the villages are connected by average quality roads so no need of higher than normal GC.

also the tests will be done at no profit no loss basis so the FE is important as biggest expense will be done the traveling.

Last edited by jeepster : 22nd December 2010 at 22:43.
Old 22nd December 2010, 22:38   #27
BHPian

1. I don't think Eicher 10.5 would be suitable. Its should be atleast 10.75

2. The AL Stag is giving 6+ KMPL for us.

3. As your requirement needs lots of customisation, its is better to go for a long wheelbase chassis and built the body as per your convenience. Its will hold well within 15L. Don't waste mony modifying fully built buses.

4. As you need A/c, AFAIK as of now, AL Stag is the only LCV chassis in which we can mount direct main engine driven a/c compressor, eliminating the need for an additional engine for A/c. (Correct me if i am wrong!).

5. Else go for Tata 712 or 912.
Old 22nd December 2010, 23:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

reply given in in bold text.
Quote:
1. I don't think Eicher 10.5 would be suitable. Its should be atleast 10.75
the price difference in 10.50 & 10.75 is around 60k.
2. The AL Stag is giving 6+ KMPL for us.
thanks.
3. As your requirement needs lots of customisation, its is better to go for a long wheelbase chassis and built the body as per your convenience. Its will hold well within 15L. Don't waste mony modifying fully built buses.
lets see.
4. As you need A/c, AFAIK as of now, AL Stag is the only LCV chassis in which we can mount direct main engine driven a/c compressor, eliminating the need for an additional engine for A/c. (Correct me if i am wrong!).
i think the AC is operated when vehicle is stationary & on the generator power.
Old 23rd December 2010, 00:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
reply given in in bold text.
I am surprised, you have not contacted any Special Vehicle builders such as Anotony etal. They may have more practical knowledge in this area. Any reason, you have not got any quotes for Tata LPT712? Even in AL dominated Kerala roads, i see many Tata SPVs. Also the life for such vehicles are longer, (10-15 years or more), and need to travel to rural areas, i think less sophisticated AL/TM vechicles will be a better option than Eicher.
Old 23rd December 2010, 15:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

@ teamveevee: do you have their contact or web link?

today got the quotations for the tata bus & chassis.
  • LP 410 chassis (WB 3100mm) 6.2 L
  • LP 712 chassis (WB 4200mm) 7.5 L
  • LP 410 FB bus (WB 3100mm) 9.2 L
  • LP 712 FB bus (WB 4200mm) 11.8 L

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks