Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Delhi NCR
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2017, 11:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Car Repairs and Maintenance: Harvinder Singh & Kumar (Vasant Kunj, Delhi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepeshKarnik View Post
Finally got my car repaired from Mr. Kumar. The sound was of the broken bearings inside the gearbox. Mr. Kumar initially suggested to have the gearbox replaced but since the sound wasn't very prominent and he took note of my driving style, he said he'll open the gearbox expecting no serious damage would've been done.

Eventually I paid 3500 for labour and 2500 for spares

Attachment 1678456
Hi Deepesh

I'm glad your car got fixed. I think Rs 6000 (Including Parts and Labour) for a complete Gear Box overhaul is a very reasonable amount, and you should be happy.

The risk with most mechanics is they will not do the work in front of you and charge you for many other things and inflate the bill. Even the authorized service stations do this all the time. I'm sure if you had gone to a Maruti Authorized Workshop they would have billed much more for this job.

I have seen that these people are honest to do just what is required, and charge just for that.

About Spares I generally go to the MGP stores myself and get the spares. I do not take them along if I want to get the parts myself as their time has some value too. I think you wanted to take them along so Harvinder might have got hassled, because it takes up a lot of their time just to go with you to get the spares. I think we buy the spares from MGP stores at MRP, and if they get the parts they do get a 5-10 % discount which adds to their profit. If they go to buy spares they are spending time and fuel and taking on responsibility to get the right parts so 5-10 % discount that they get is fair. If you take them along, they spend time to go to the shops and do not get anything for that time so they do not like it.

But be rest assured, if they have told you they used MGP parts, it is sure that they would have used genuine parts. For me a lot of times they get parts, and if on any occasion they get a part which is not from the Manufacturer they always tell me and charge accordingly. There have been occasions when I have seen them go to MGF Toyota and get Toyota genuine spares at MRP from there for Toyota Engine Overhauls. The same parts are available much cheaper in original Toyota packing in Palika Bhawan but since they are not sure they get the parts from MGF toyota at MRP. And this was when the customer totally left it on them and they could easily save a lot of money by buying cheaper spares.

I would suggest if in future you want to get your own parts, just take samples and go by yourself to the MGP store and get the parts. Else if you want them to get the parts you will have to trust them and let them have the 5-10 % margin on the parts.

Styler.

Last edited by Styler : 22nd September 2017 at 11:24.
Styler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 14:38   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Hi Deepesh

I'm glad your car got fixed. I think Rs 6000 (Including Parts and Labour) for a complete Gear Box overhaul is a very reasonable amount, and you should be happy.
Hello Amit ji,

I am more than just happy about how my car drives now and the money I spent on getting it to be that way. 6k is a very decent amount. I can't thank you enough for sharing such a marvelous garage.

Quote:
The risk with most mechanics is they will not do the work in front of you and charge you for many other things and inflate the bill. Even the authorized service stations do this all the time. I'm sure if you had gone to a Maruti Authorized Workshop they would have billed much more for this job.

I have seen that these people are honest to do just what is required, and charge just for that.
I would agree with that. My whole point of travelling to and fro from Rohini to Vasant Kunj for a gearbox overhaul was their quality of work and honesty

Quote:
About Spares I generally go to the MGP stores myself and get the spares. I do not take them along if I want to get the parts myself as their time has some value too. I think you wanted to take them along so Harvinder might have got hassled, because it takes up a lot of their time just to go with you to get the spares. I think we buy the spares from MGP stores at MRP, and if they get the parts they do get a 5-10 % discount which adds to their profit. If they go to buy spares they are spending time and fuel and taking on responsibility to get the right parts so 5-10 % discount that they get is fair. If you take them along, they spend time to go to the shops and do not get anything for that time so they do not like it.

But be rest assured, if they have told you they used MGP parts, it is sure that they would have used genuine parts. For me a lot of times they get parts, and if on any occasion they get a part which is not from the Manufacturer they always tell me and charge accordingly. There have been occasions when I have seen them go to MGF Toyota and get Toyota genuine spares at MRP from there for Toyota Engine Overhauls. The same parts are available much cheaper in original Toyota packing in Palika Bhawan but since they are not sure they get the parts from MGF toyota at MRP. And this was when the customer totally left it on them and they could easily save a lot of money by buying cheaper spares.
I did not have problem with them buying the parts or the margin they get. But when Harvinder reacted so strange, I was taken by surprise and doubt!!! I was talking to Mr. Kumar if it was possible to buy the spares on my credit card instead of cash since I was there the whole day and was unclear when and who would get the spares. Harvinder replied back in a high pitch. That is when I lost my trust in Harvinder.

Quote:
I would suggest if in future you want to get your own parts, just take samples and go by yourself to the MGP store and get the parts. Else if you want them to get the parts you will have to trust them and let them have the 5-10 % margin on the parts.

Styler.
I hope you understand, it is ONLY because of the trust that I went to them and have no concerns with the margin they can have on buying the parts from MGP stores. I was willing to pay them anything they asked, but Harvinder came across as money minded since he stepped in to only talk about costs, money etc. whilst Mr. Kumar, who did all the work never spoke to me about the money. I hope as my association grows with them, my mindset for Harvinder changes.

Thank you once again Amit ji ! Mr. Kumar is a wonderful technician.
DeepeshKarnik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2017, 21:06   #18
BHPian

Recently, while travelling from Agra, I experienced engine stutter in my Linea after driving away from a toll booth. The check engine light would flash intermittently but no message on MID. On stopping at traffic signals, RPM needle was doing a +-20 RPM dance. The stutter was happening only during acceleration (fuel demand for power). I thought this could be bad fuel thing, but didn't vanish on refill.

On reaching Delhi, gave a call to Mr Harvinder Singh. He told me Kumar was on leave due to some death in family and would be available after 4 days. I decided to wait as going to nearest FASS is a time consuming process for me.

After Kumar's arrival, took the car to him. On doing a test drive, he diagnosed it with faulty fuel filter. That made sense. Since Harvinder and Kumar don't store any spare, he asked me to get new fuel filter, four spark plugs and air filter.

Ordered these parts from 99rpm. Cost, including delivery was 1760 bucks. Took the parts to the workshop. All parts were changed within 30 mins. Test drive, stutter gone. He charged me 500 bucks.

Nothing can be better. Quick diagnosis, fast work and cheap labour. Full marks to Harvinder and Kumar.
NutsNBolts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 23:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Let me share my positive experience.

Thanks to this thread, I went to Mr Kumar.

I called him and asked him if I can come to show my car, he said that he can see the car.

There had been a sound coming from the engine bay area, like a machine gun. I had got it checked at the Hyundai authorised service center for my Santro Xing, for which they gave me a quote of 24k. I had politely thanked them for the quote and went on my way that day.

When I reached Mr Kumars place, thanks to google maps (though it showed me the path via a jungle, with offroading). Mr Kumar looked at the problem and said that he needs to investigate and needs some time. He asked me not to drive the car for long distance and he will call me back when he has some bandwidth.

Since this problem had been for a few months, I continued driving my car for long distance (in city) and waited for a call from Mr Kumar. After waiting for nearly 2.5 weeks, I called Mr Kumar about his time. He told me to come next day, I asked him if he has time. He told me that he will manage. On this I told him that I will come on Saturday as I would want to be there when work is being done.

I went on 17th Mar to his workshop, he had stepped out for some procurement, his helper was waiting for me. The assistant started working and when I asked him, he told me that Mr Kumar had briefed him on what to check. After taking out the belts (by that time Mr Kumar also reached), they came to a conclusion that it was power steering pump that was causing the issue.

Since they didnt had anything like that in stock and new one costs upwards of 10k, Mr Kumar suggested that this he will ask Sardarji (as he calls him) to get from Mayapuri for me, and which will be tested for functionality too.

I agreed, meanwhile, since Mr Kumar had got all timing belts for my car (thinking that it could be the culprit), I got timing belts changed (car had run around 1L kms since last timing belt change)

The cost was 3.7k (including labour)

Around 21st Mar, I got a call from Mr Kumar that they have got the part from Mayapuri and I can come as per my convenience. I thanked him and said that I will be there on Sat, 24th Mar.

I went to their workshop on 24th, there were a few cars already being worked upon. A corolla altis AT getting servicing and also shockers changed. I was given a chair to sit.

I waited for it to get over and after that the work on my car started, the problem making pump was taken out and the second hand pump reinstalled, power steering oil added and the car was started. Voila, the noise was gone and the car was silent. I couldnt believe my ears, it had been a few years for me to hear the sound which had been growing in volume and now it just disappeared.
I took a test drive, went to ATM and paid the charges to Mr Kumar, cost 2.7k, by mistake I gave him 0.5k more, total cost - 3.2k.

The best thing is the solutions are affordable, no fleecing, very genuine hands on person. Practical solutions are provided which are comfortable to the pocket.

The old power steering pump is not making noise like my car original pump was making, but its making a very slight noise, which can be termed as car engine noise as well.

I am pleased to find Mr Kumar via this thread and got solution to a problem which had been troubling me for around 4 years and 40k kms and was asked exorbitant amount from Hyundai service center.

Now, I am going to get my car serviced also via Mr Kumar. My car will no longer see Hyundai service center and will be visiting Mr Kumar for all the requirements.

Also, the high beam of the car wasn't working though bulbs were fine. Mr Harvinder found the issue due to a fuse and replaced it. So, other problem also solved.

For electrical problems Mr Harvinder.
For Mechanical issues Mr Kumar.

The combo makes up for all issue one can have with the car.

Good find and share. Thanks to team-bhp.
tanwaramit is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 17:01   #20
BHPian

Received a humbling lesson today that reaffirmed my faith in the world. For the last few months, the headlights on our Mitsubishi had been giving us trouble. The damn stalk would hardly ever work. The replacement part was exorbitant and every jugaad tried had failed. Till today.

I visited this workshop where the two old gentlemen addressed me as beta and promised they'd get it to work somehow. All along, I kept asking how much it would cost and they kept telling me to not worry about it. Their goal was customer satisfaction, they said.

I kept thinking about it worrying I'd end up paying greatly. This has happened so many times in the past to all of us, hasn't it?

Today, they delivered the car with the problem fixed but described it as jugaad. I said that's ok, how much should I pay. They said, for now, pay nothing. Try it for a week or two and pay only if it holds up.

This is the first time I had visited this workshop. They did not know me but were willing to trust that i'd return whereas I remained suspicious. At least ten hours were put into this car, and not a penny charged. I bowed my head, said thank you, wondered and left.

Ever looking for reliable mechanics - these are the folks to go to.
sukrit7 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 22:38   #21
BHPian

Hi ,

Are they competent to service and repair a 2012 model Mercedes which has been standing idle since 1.5 years?

If not, any other recommendations please?

Thanks everyone
kk21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 15:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk21 View Post
Hi ,

Are they competent to service and repair a 2012 model Mercedes which has been standing idle since 1.5 years?

If not, any other recommendations please?

Thanks everyone
They handle a lot of imported cars so I think they will be able to repair a 2012 Mercedes without a problem. You can call and discuss it with them.
Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 18:21   #23
BHPian

Mercedes repair in Delhi

Hello everyone

This is my first post on this forum. Have been wanting to join this for a long time so I could share my experiences with you all as well as share your rich experiences and ideas.

Ok as the title says, its about getting Mercedes or any premium car repaired in Delhi. By virtue of me having a transferable job, I recently moved from Jalandhar to Delhi and was looking for a place where i could get my car checked up for minor repairs and services.

The problem. The engine check light came on two months ago and I checked using my portable OBD2 device and mobile phone. The error code was P204 & P272. This was basically a problem with fuel injection in cylinder 4. The error automatically went away without any intervention. Last week it came on again and was not going away. I checked the injector connector plug but could not find anything wrong.

So the search for a good mechanic aka who doesn't rip my bank and knows his job began. I first went to wheel force run by Bosch guys. He ran a check without understanding that i had done the same. Estimate... 18k to service the fuel injector or 38k to replace if not repaired. I wasn't satisfied as he was not willing to understand my point of view.

Next stop, Harvinder and Kumar at vasant kunj. This reference I got from this forum. Moderators - I wanted to post it in that thread but somehow my account limitations did not let me post it and hence a new thread. You may move it there.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/delhi...unj-delhi.html (Car Repairs and Maintenance: Harvinder Singh & Kumar (Vasant Kunj, Delhi))

I took a prior appointment but he said that he does only Japanese cars but a nearby mechanic does German cars. So i went to him and he took me to a guy called Shamshad. Before Shamshad could arrive his mechanic checked the injector connector and reconnected it. Maybe the way I fixed it was not good enough. The side locks were not secured well and hence the mis-firing of injector.

The engine now revved up to 4.5 k and error code removed. He did not charge anything. After that i have driven about 350 km and no recurrence of problems. Touch wood.

In the forum i have linked above, somebody mentioned about Harvinder being money minded. Well, i second it. While Shamshad was not interested in charging Harvinder kept subtly hinting to pay for the scan. 1k. I gave but Shamshad refused and returned. All in all a good contact found.

I can share details and locations for those interested. He had BMW too in his garage for repairs.

Thank you friends
Parambir Singh

Last edited by Eddy : 5th May 2020 at 12:03. Reason: Spacing
Parambir is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 11:24   #24
BHPian

Re: Mercedes repair in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parambir View Post
So the search for a good mechanic aka who doesn't rip my bank and knows his job began. I first went to wheel force run by Bosch guys. He ran a check without understanding that i had done the same.
Hi Parambir

I'm glad your problem is fixed for free.
All I can say is that if the Authorized Service Center billed you 50K or if Bosch would have billed you 18-38K and fixed the problem you would have gladly paid without accusing them of being money minded.

I'm sure Harvinder spent valuable time taking you to the right place. You did not get ripped with false diagnostics and repair bills. I think they honestly helped you fix your car. If Harvinder requested you to offer 1K, and that too not for himself but for the mechanic who fixed it and you thought he was money minded I don't have words. Keep in mind that if a Mercedes is scanned, just the scanning cost would be more than 1000. If you had gone Shamshad as an unknown customer I'm sure he would have charged you at least for scanning. If he did not charge you it was because you were taken there by Harvinder and he had regard for Harvinder.

If Harvinder reads your post I'm sure he will never again try to help anybody like this in future. He will also think he would have been better off if he took your car himself and got it fixed and charged you 5-10K and you would be a happy man. Just he tried to be honest he's getting this kind of feedback.

Just my views.

Styler

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd July 2022 at 04:57.
Styler is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 03:05   #25
BHPian

My i20 was suffering with the usual tell-tale signs of poor clutch since a long time.
As an avid reader of Team-BHP I always skimmed through the Technical Stuff Forums and that brought me here to this thread, thank you Amit ji for starting this thread.

By the end of 2020, my car started facing some issues like the ones mentioned below-
-Clutch pedal felt spongy after drives of 20-30 kilometers.
-Shuddering when releasing the clutch in second gear.
-An unusual thud after changing the gears.

I called up Kumar uncle, he promptly responded and I paid a visit to his workshop. I told him the Master cylinder was changed in 2018 so that cannot go bust, so he cleaned the slave cylinder and the car was running fine for some time but the issues crept up again.

So, I started searching through the Forum and came to know that some BHPians are changing the child part of the slave cylinders instead of replacing the slave cylinder as a whole in their respective Hyundai cars. Visited my ASC, got the part for around INR149 and got it replaced. The sponginess that used to accompany the clutch pedal after a long drive was gone, but the other issues remained.

In January 2021, a trip to Nainital with my friends was on the cards and my i20 was going to be our ride, so I again paid Kumar uncle a visit as I was not confident about my clutch. After a short test drive, he assured me that the car would perform flawlessly for the entire trip and the car did that exactly, he sure does knows his work.

But last month, with 68k on the ODO the issues had become more unbearable than before and I decided its better to overhaul the clutch than to keep beating around the bush. Again the Forum came to my rescue as I was having doubts to either go the ASC or the FNG way. Decided on FNG after considering the age of my car and the estimated cost of overhaul stated by the Hyundai ASC. Made a call to Kumar uncle, he went with me to the store and we picked up the Valeo manufactured Clutch Plate, Pressure Plate and the Clutch Release Bearing and the overhaul was done.

The clutch overhaul in progress:
Car Repairs and Maintenance: Harvinder Singh & Kumar (Vasant Kunj, Delhi)-img4116.jpg

I have never been more happier driving my car, now the car feels alive even with its puny 1.2L engine, every issue related to its clutch is gone, its clutch action is butter smooth now and now me and my i20 move a little too quickly from the red lights

I once again thank BHPian Styler for this thread and Kumar uncle for his work on my i20.
Rshreyansh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 11:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Small empty plot in the colony where you go from the road to the left, just after Indian Spinal Injuries Hospital if you are coming from the Masoodpur Side or the Nelson Mandela Road.

Google Map
https://goo.gl/maps/L3NdT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshreyansh View Post
I once again thank BHPian Styler for this thread and Kumar uncle for his work on my i20.
Hello Amit and Shreyansh,

Can you please share the google map location for the workshop. The above link from 2014 isn't showing exact location.

Thanks.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 12:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Hello Amit and Shreyansh,

Can you please share the google map location for the workshop. The above link from 2014 isn't showing exact location.

Thanks.
Here is the link that I used for my visit to the workshop. Hope this helps.
https://goo.gl/maps/aqu5wxZFvmobLtFP7
The route to the workshop might look deserted but do not hesitate to go on. I could share his number to you through PM.
Rshreyansh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 14:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The route to the workshop might look deserted but do not hesitate to go on. I could share his number to you through PM.
Thanks. Clutch of my Chevy Beat needs overhaul/ replacement. I contacted Kumar uncle. He gave appointment for tomorrow morning.

I originally planned it in 2017, then plan changed and got another vehicle. Chevy became a beater car, accumulating just around 10,000kms since then.

Quote:
My 2011 Beat Petrol is in need of thorough inspection and some repairs. I am thinking of Clutch OH as well. It has done around 35k in 6 years and there are no issues at this moment. However, clutch O/H at this stage will give it fresh life for another 4~5 years. Given the situation GM, there may be issues of spare availability in coming time.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 14:15   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Clutch of my Chevy Beat needs overhaul/ replacement. I contacted Kumar uncle. He gave appointment for tomorrow morning.
That's great. I hope after the clutch overhaul, your car shall feel like new, as the beater cars of our homes are the real ones that helps us with the daily chores. Do share your experience of the workshop.
Thanks.
Old 12th July 2022, 14:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Dropped the vehicle with Harvinder uncle. He took test drive and understood the problem. Kumar uncle was stuck in traffic snarls created by rain. He'll check and inform what needs to be repaired/ replaced.

Quote:
It seems that route condition has deteriorated over past six months. Big pot holes (worsened by today morning rain) and thorny bushes scratching the vehicle.

Harvinder uncle showed me alternate route, properly paved road. Marked both on maps below.

Car Repairs and Maintenance: Harvinder Singh & Kumar (Vasant Kunj, Delhi)-map_1.png

Car Repairs and Maintenance: Harvinder Singh & Kumar (Vasant Kunj, Delhi)-map_2.png
AutoNoob is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks