Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2013, 00:42   #46
BHPian

Re: DIY : Great way to use a Sunday Part I - Carb Cleaning of Maruti 800

@ Sankar

I took a test drive and found that the car could not maintain the idle at all. This is in addition to what you have just said with regard to the acceleration. I had to use the clutch and slip it a bit to keep the engine running. Moreover, the car would not run smoothly.

I learnt that there is a plastic filter in that brass tube. This was what i was told. They stuck a hot pin into it to remove this filter. They never replaced it with anything else. IS this standard procedure?

It did leave with a very bad feeling. I give a car for carb overhauling. The car runs like new at the time of accepting the vehicle for the overhaul and at the time of delivery the car does not run. In the end i end up paying for the new carb for no fault of mine.

I was not warned or advised that such a scenario might arise and at that point i might have to pay for the new carb and the gaskets and other consumables that were used to overhaul the old carb.

Moreover, i was shocked to learn that the 1997 model carburetor is not being produced by Maruti. They have a replace it with a genuine accessory - euro 1 model which has a retractable choke valve which will automatically cut of the choke it is not turned off by the driver. These carbs do are made for non AC cars and you have to buy the additional parts required for them to function in a Car with AC.

I am not sure how much of all this is true. Please let me know what else cab be done.

The service centre was NEXUS On BEL road, Opp MS Ramaiah Hospital, RMV second stage, Bangalore. The mechanic was good but had to constantly remind him not to throw tools into the space in the engine compartment next to the struts. Very rough and crude and lot of damages to the paint too.

@ CrackedHead.

Hosur road is very far. I like in the northern end of the city. But i will keep your advice in mind and try to plan up some other journeys to reach Suraksha.

I am thinking of getting in touch with Mr.Pavan Kadam as he lives closer to my residence. If you know his current number please message it to me.

I thank you both for your replies. I do have the old carb with me. will take it elsewhere and get it checked.

@ all
I now find a "wee" noise emanating if the engine is revved a bit higher in each gear. In addition, I find that earlier I could drive at higher speeds in lower gears whereas now the engine noise and gruffness forces me to shift to a higher gear at much lower speeds. For eg. if I wanted to I could rev till 80 kms/hr in the third gear and then shift to fourth gear (which I normally and usually don't). However, I find the noise and the gruffness at 50 kms high enough to shift to fourth gear.

Will keep you posted of any further developments, if they occur. Thank you once again!
Old 25th October 2013, 00:26   #47
BHPian

Re: Great way to use a Sunday Part I - Carb Cleaning of m800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Maanava View Post
Installed purfectly
Attachment 910496

Secondary jet pump
Attachment 910497

Dear SirAlex and other experts, Today i asked my MASS to perform a carb overhaul. They did and in the end they said that it failed and they have to replace the entire carb. This costs Rs.7000 without the labor costs.

Mikuni-UCAL carb is available for about Rs. 3000 in Delhi, Rs. 7000 is MGP premium. Even if the carb was damaged, it is highly repairable as all parts, including the accelerator pump are available as aftermarket spares from the OEM. Kindly find a GOOD independent garage for your car, as the just-out-of-teens lads in the service centres know as much about carbs as we do about valve radios.
Old 25th October 2013, 00:37   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Maanava View Post
@ Sankar

I learnt that there is a plastic filter in that brass tube. This was what i was told. They stuck a hot pin into it to remove this filter. They never replaced it with anything else. IS this standard procedure?

I thank you both for your replies. I do have the old carb with me. will take it elsewhere and get it checked.

@ all
I now find a "wee" noise emanating if the engine is revved a bit higher in each gear. In addition, I find that earlier I could drive at higher speeds in lower gears whereas now the engine noise and gruffness forces me to shift to a higher gear at much lower speeds. For eg. if I wanted to I could rev till 80 kms/hr in the third gear and then shift to fourth gear (which I normally and usually don't). However, I find the noise and the gruffness at 50 kms high enough to shift to fourth gear.

Will keep you posted of any further developments, if they occur. Thank you once again!
Only if the plastic piece was a "seal" to ensure the newness of the carb. If it was in the fuel inlet/outlet, it'll have to be removed.

Good that you kept the old carb, get it fully overhauled and keep it as a spare. To the best of my knowledge, the newer carb models had slightly lesser power for the sake of efficiency.

The noise may be a tuning issue, which happens when the mixture is set for high efficiency. Please let a good mechanic with tools as well as experience check the car, and tell him about the plastic piece also. Last but not the least, early upshift is a very good practice, so even if the car responds well, please don't get in to the habit of revving the engine.

Last edited by fighterace : 25th October 2013 at 00:39.
Old 25th October 2013, 06:04   #49
BHPian

Re: Maruti 800 ( 1991) Carburetor Diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Here you go
Suzuki_Hatch_Alto_F8B_Service_Manual.pdf - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

Please check the solenoid connector for idling issue. it should click when you put on and off the key.
Why i am saying this is that the solenoid connector and extra A/c pump connector are same. so you might get confused among two.

13/14 open spanner will do. you have to do it in steps.
Dear SirAlec,

Would be grateful, if you can reupload the manual. I had recently got a 97 model 800 and planning to start with the carb cleaning process soon (Hunting for a good mech or would land up at MASS). Since I am a newbie on this, this would be very useful. Thanks in advance.
Old 25th October 2013, 08:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti 800 ( 1991) Carburetor Diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Dear SirAlec,

Would be grateful, if you can reupload the manual. I had recently got a 97 model 800 and planning to start with the carb cleaning process soon (Hunting for a good mech or would land up at MASS). Since I am a newbie on this, this would be very useful. Thanks in advance.
if you are a new to this, i would say not to fiddle with carb. If you bought the car for experiments, then what the hell.

i am traveling. will upload when i have good connection.

Thanks
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 09:30   #51
BHPian

Any idea where the black circled tube goes to?
Attached Thumbnails
DIY : Great way to use a Sunday Part I - Carb Cleaning of Maruti 800-carb_back.jpg  

Old 9th June 2014, 14:21   #52
BHPian

Hi,
Can anyone point me to a source in Chennai or in Hyderabad where I can get the UCAL Mikuni Carburetor for a M800. Not sure on the year of make of the car, but need a carburetor and what would be the cost? Thx for your help

Rgds,
Karthik

Last edited by Jack Sparrow : 9th June 2014 at 14:23.
Old 17th May 2017, 14:38   #53
BHPian

Re: Great way to use a Sunday Part I - Carb Cleaning of m800

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Continued..
Float, Please note this should be about 31mm. There is an adjustment screw. In Solex type you have to bent the float arm to set it.
Hi,

I just opened up my 118NE Mikuni carburetor for a thorough cleaning. In a hurry I had not taken pictures of the power valve / enrichment valve diaphragm assembly. Neither able to find any info from the internet.
I am looking for 1 info.
1. In the attached picture, the first circled component. Does it have any spring like in a ball pen?
2. How is the metal cap circled below oriented. The convex side towards the diaphragm or the cover?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY : Great way to use a Sunday Part I - Carb Cleaning of Maruti 800-6-secondary-jet-pump.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks