Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2013, 13:44   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
So my questions are:

- Is something similar possible on my Xing? I'm not an engineer, so DIY Is outta the question. I'll have to rely on HASS.
- Where do I source a tacho from? Will the Ritz one work?? (My logic - both have 4 cylinder engines ) If not, what specification one should I source??

My car's almost 8 years old, so warranty is not an issue! Experts kindly opine!!
The exact procedure wont be possible as the Santro has a hydraulic power steering. Hence the engine speed signal should be obtained from elsewhere like the ECU etc. For this you will need the pinouts of the ECU.

The second hurdle is whether the signal can be properly interpreted by the tacho. Here in the case of Marutis, they rely upon the same logic hence the Ritz tacho can be fit in the WagonR, Swift etc without fuss. If the output from the santros ECU is not following the same logic, then I dont think the Tacho will give you proper readings. Hence, you need to do some research usung the workshop manual of your car though I dont know where you can do so.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 16:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishwaschettri View Post

No one will have these in ready stock and you will need to place an order through MASS. They have some new BS going about spares only being issued against car
Thanks for replying.

Found a tacho of Astar ready to order at MASS. It costs Rs. 1670 without the bracket. Cost with bracket is around Rs. 1800.

Clear lens Altos do not have the brown wire behind the console. I am going to look at the PS module now.

EDIT: There's a Mitsubishi box under the dash. I think it is the PS module. Can someone confirm whether the same one is present in Wagon R and is the brown wire that I saw connected to the module meant for RPM?

Last edited by JustCause : 11th November 2013 at 17:19.
Old 12th November 2013, 10:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Ok even after discounting indash tacho, IIRC 2005 Lxi would have EPS, Right?

You should buy a Ritz Vxi petrol tacho. It has worked for parag and many others in last generation F10D engine (old WagonR) so common sense tells me it should work on your car also (G10B ?).

cheers
Vishwas
Checked with Pratam Motors Bangalore, for the Ritz tacho(Petrol). It's available, at 1037/-. They said they haven't sold any as spare yet!

Next I need to check my dash for the brown wire if they have it in the Zen. Don't have much hope, as no variant of old zen had in-dash tacho.
Old 12th November 2013, 18:23   #34
BHPian

Excellent DIY

Neatly and cleanly executed, the ground work leading to a perfect fit & finish also is commendable
nidhin0816 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 18:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The exact procedure wont be possible as the Santro has a hydraulic power steering. Hence the engine speed signal should be obtained from elsewhere like the ECU etc. For this you will need the pinouts of the ECU.
Found a BHPian who has done what I've been wanting to do!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1492156-post218.html

Plus,

Does anyone know if Santro Xing ever came with a model with a tacho as standard??

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 12th November 2013 at 19:06. Reason: Adding question
Old 13th November 2013, 10:55   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftrookie View Post
Do you happen to have a picture of how to take the parallel feed from the connector?? Also what is the price of the Ritz tacho if you know??
Sorry no pics of how the connection was made. There are some pics after installation of connector in my guide on opening page.
Basically what you do is strip a cable and twist the strands. Ensure there are no loose strands. Next separate the connectors and slide the twisted strands into the female socket corresponding to brown wire from ECM.
Ensue that all bare strands are inside the socket and only insulated cable is outside the socket.
Now carefully click lock the connector back. Triple check every thing, pray to god, double check the warranty and service records and crank the engine. Voila it should work.
In case of engine not cranking, poof sounds, a big cloud of smoke from under the hood or burning smells, curse the perpetuator of this thread from the bottom of your heart, remove all traces of this install, call up MASS and feign ignorance
Check Joe M's post below/above for the cost of ritz tacho.

Quote:
The service manuals I have is for Sx4 and Swift. They are for the Japanese models.
OK. Thanks for clarifying. I think I have these.

Quote:
WRT spares just reach the nearest MGP dealer. They will provide spare parts without fuss. Usually service centers dont sell parts over the counter.
+1. Just that the nearest MGP dealer was farther than MASS. Btw authorised service stations cannot deny you over counter sales. It is counted as unfair trade practices (trying to monopolise business). You just have to be firm with them. They will open a job card against your vehicle and issue you the spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Clear lens Altos do not have the brown wire behind the console. I am going to look at the PS module now.
EDIT: There's a Mitsubishi box under the dash. I think it is the PS module. Can someone confirm whether the same one is present in Wagon R and is the brown wire that I saw connected to the module meant for RPM?
Hmm.. so maruti is constantly optimizing their cars. Why dont you post pics of the module here, we can confirm it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
Next I need to check my dash for the brown wire if they have it in the Zen. Don't have much hope, as no variant of old zen had in-dash tacho.
But if it has EPS it would definitely have tacho signal as EPS needs vehicle and engine speed input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhin0816 View Post
Excellent DIY
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Found a BHPian who has done what I've been wanting to do!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1492156-post218.html

Plus,

Does anyone know if Santro Xing ever came with a model with a tacho as standard??
I don't think any model of santro ever came with tacho. The install you have posted is a generic after market tacho which takes feed from coil not ECM. You can search online for autogauge rpm meter for 4 cylinder petrol engine. It should work on your ride.

thanks
Vishwas
vishwaschettri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 11:30   #37
BHPian

OK, just received these pics in mail from my friend. Here is another very simple and very useful DIY for WagonR K10 owners.

Installation of Day/Night IRVM (Internal Rear View Mirror)

Manpower Required - One
Skills required - Beginner (If you can work a screw driver you can do this)
Tools Required - One phillips head screw driver
Time Required - Fifteen minutes
Spare Required - Swift type 1 Vxi/Vdi Day/Night IRVM
Cost - INR 500

The Installation

Remove the old IRVM by pulling out the cover plate at the base and unscrewing two no.s phillips head screws holding it
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-install.jpg

Screw in the new Day/Night IRVM in its place (Its a direct fit) tightly and put the cover plate back.
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-final-install.jpg

Works beautifully. Check the below reflections in night mode only in broad daylight (Notice the double roof edge of the rear window visible)
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-final-install-2.jpg

NO MORE CURSING THE XUV / BEEMER OWNERS TAILGATING YOU WHILE BLINDING YOU WITH THEIR BI-XENON HEAD LAMPS.
Bring them on

cheers
Vishwas

p.s. - @ Mods - I have kept this post separate from the one below so as not to dilute the content. Kindly let it be.
vishwaschettri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 12:15   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Checked with Pratam Motors Bangalore, for the Ritz tacho(Petrol). It's available, at 1037/-. They said they haven't sold any as spare yet!

Instead of the Dealers, there are a lot of options to buy Maruti Genuine Parts over the counter in Bangalore. The Dealers always make a hue and cry selling parts over the counter. (They don't sell you even Rear View mirrors that you can fit by yourself).

Following are some of the MGP dealers in Bangalore:

Essar - Siddaiah Road (Near Urvashi Junction on Lalbagh Road)
Essar - Immediately to the left after Bommanahalli Signal on Hosur road
Nema Auto Spares - Near Rammurthy Nagar Police Station
Nema Auto Spares - Near Aiyappa Temple, Jalahalli Cross
Nema Auto Spares - Ganganagar, next to State Bank of Mysore
Nema Auto Spares - Near Coles Park
Popular Automobiles - Near Agara

I may have missed quite a few may since I may not remember them all.

All the above shops are MGP Authorized stockists/Dealers and at times they oblize when you pay them the full amount, you get a bill and they call you back once the stock arrives (if not in stock).

Rest of the questions precisely answered by Vishwas!

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th November 2013 at 12:16.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 13:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
OK, just received these pics in mail from my friend. Here is another very simple and very useful DIY for WagonR K10 owners.

Installation of Day/Night IRVM (Internal Rear View Mirror)
Thanks for the info, Vishwas. It's a real trouble driving without day/night mirrors at night.

Talking of OEM upgrades, I just remembered one old trick: to have driver seat height adjustment in the lower variant ( like Lxi/LDi ), all we need to do is to buy a new piece of the seat for Zxi/ZDi - only the horizontal(bottom) part - and replace the original one with this.

e.g We can fit the driver seat of Swift Zxi in a Swift Lxi for around 3700/- or so and enjoy 'Driver seat height adjustment' in Lxi/LDi!
Joe M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 14:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
e.g We can fit the driver seat of Swift Zxi in a Swift Lxi for around 3700/- or so and enjoy 'Driver seat height adjustment' in Lxi/LDi!
NICE!
I have installed swift Lxi/Ldi front seats in my jeep. Now I am tempted to get the height adjustment mechanism for it as it will improve the driving comfort immensely.
The cost is a deterrent, I had bought both the front seats for 1800 bucks (second hand ofcourse) so doesn't makes sense to spend 3700 on height adjustment only.
Time to scrounge the junk markets for a totaled swift Zxi/Zdi i guess.

cheers
Vishwas
Old 13th November 2013, 14:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
NICE!
Time to scrounge the junk markets for a totaled swift Zxi/Zdi i guess.
Always the best method, I'd say. I don't know about any junkyards near my place or I would be a regular visitor!! There are countless parts we can make use of, from a totalled car - at the fraction of the original price.
Old 13th November 2013, 22:24   #42
BHPian

I just tried to see the brown wire coming from the engine but got a bit confused here. I've attached the pic.

There are 4 brown wires coming from the engine, one with a white stripe, one with yellow, plain brown etc. And at the right side two brown wires are going to the power steering - one with white stripe and another plain.

Could this plain brown wire going to the steering [marked in bold red rectangle on the right side] be the RPM signal wire? Sorry for the ignorance.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY: Tacho Install in Maruti WagonR-joes-lumia-710_0007545.jpg  

Old 15th November 2013, 09:36   #43
BHPian

Quote:

cheers
Vishwas
Very useful DIY. I have already shown it to my friend who owns a WagonR and is already interested in it. Thanks!

EDIT: Is that a crack I see on your windshield mate?

Last edited by benzinblut : 15th November 2013 at 09:37.
benzinblut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 10:31   #44
BHPian

Quote:

I don't think any model of santro ever came with tacho. The install you have posted is a generic after market tacho which takes feed from coil not ECM. You can search online for autogauge rpm meter for 4 cylinder petrol engine. It should work on your ride.

thanks
Vishwas
Santro limited edition did indeed had a tachometer. It also came with alloy wheels and body colored ORVM from the factory.
Old 17th November 2013, 15:16   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Could this plain brown wire going to the steering [marked in bold red rectangle on the right side] be the RPM signal wire?
It would be plain brown wire. But I am not able to identify the connector as WagonR does not have it. Kindly post some more zoomed out pics for clarity.

One more sure shot way to be sure is to disconnect the cable and start car and check steering movement. If it becomes non assisted than this the wire you are after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
Is that a crack I see on your windshield mate?
Thanks, yes its a crack. A small pebble hit while doing a ton at NH8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
Santro limited edition did indeed had a tachometer. It also came with alloy wheels and body colored ORVM from the factory.
Great I dint knew this. Any more info on this would be appreciated.

Cheers
Vishwas
vishwaschettri is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks