Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2014, 19:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Hi buddy,

Do you have any pictures of the space issue that you are referring to?

Anurag.
I keep forgetting to click pictures, though I use the car almost daily. I'll try to remember today.
Old 18th September 2014, 19:51   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
The Space between the front in Dzire is well, almost non existent. The usual universal one did not even get it.
This is indeed surprising that the space between the seats is not much for the universal armrest. I don't know but I presume (from the looks of it) that the Swift's seats are wider and the design is more straight on the sides to let much space for the install?
Quote:
Fortunately, he had a slimmer version and that was a tight fit, but got it for a decent cost so got it done. Though the installation was not as neat as what you have achieved, I am satisfied for now.
Well, long long ago when these armrests were becoming world famous in India, ebay always listed them as "Small" and "Big" and I precisely remember picking the small for my WagonR.

See the below pictures and I am confident that the slimmer version that you are referring to is almost similar to the armrest I have in the WagonR:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-wagonr-armrest_01.jpg
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-wagonr-armrest_02.jpg

The Ertiga however, got a bigger one and so was the case with the SX4 , Palio and Ecosport where I installed the armrest.

Unfortunately, I tried my best to find no listing for such Small version of the armrests!
Old 19th September 2014, 11:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I keep forgetting to click pictures, though I use the car almost daily. I'll try to remember today.
Here is the picture.

Another issue.. the center console to which the arm rest is fitting, moves from left to right a lot. The screws holding it are tight, but there is a lot of movement, which in turn makes the arm rest also move, any solution to make it move less?
Attached Thumbnails
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-img_20140918_201133027.jpg  

Old 19th September 2014, 12:46   #34
BANNED

Quote:

Here is the picture.

Another issue.. the center console to which the arm rest is fitting, moves from left to right a lot. The screws holding it are tight, but there is a lot of movement, which in turn makes the arm rest also move, any solution to make it move less?
Thank you for the picture. Does look like the arm rest is touching the left seat more than the right side one.

I guess you are not able to move the left seat for and aft. Right?

Try changing the screws that you find when you remove the handbrake console. Shall give you the part number if you want.

Anurag.
Old 19th September 2014, 16:12   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the picture.

This was highlighted before too. It moves because the Handbrake console is held by clips in front and 2 plastic studs on either sides at the rear. These studs do not fit with the Metal holes on the clap (on the floor) precisely and the gap around it makes the whole console move.

The only solution would be settle for a proper bolt-nut system by getting rid of the plastic studs. The other option is to provide a packing at the gap that exists between the floor carpet and the bottom edge of the center console. This will arrest the moment of the center console sideways.

Quote:
Try changing the screws that you find when you remove the handbrake console. Shall give you the part number if you want.
Anurag.
I don't think there are screws here? Is it (center handbrake console) held by screws in the Swift/Dzire? The movement mentioned by Dass is due to the reason I mentioned.

That said, I managed to take measurement of the gaps between the seats of the Ertiga and the Dzire. It is a fact that the gap between the seats in the Ertiga and the Dzire/Swift differ by a considerable margin due to which owners are facing issues installing armrest in their cars while in the Ertiga there is sufficient gap between the seats.
The below picture is from my Ertiga:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-gap_01.jpg

This one is from the Dzire
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-gap_02.jpg

Notice the difference of almost 1.5 Inches and this extra gap is what makes the armrest work without issues in the Ertiga.
Old 19th September 2014, 16:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the picture. Does look like the arm rest is touching the left seat more than the right side one.

I guess you are not able to move the left seat for and aft. Right?

Anurag.
The driver seat is a little back compared to the passenger seat, hence you get the feeling that it is tilted to the left. I am able to move the seats, but when they are in line with the arm rest, the back rest does touch it on both the seats.

Yes please, I would like the part number. How do I fix it though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This was highlighted before too. It moves because the Handbrake console is held by clips in front and 2 plastic studs on either sides at the rear. These studs do not fit with the Metal holes on the clap (on the floor) precisely and the gap around it makes the whole console move.

The only solution would be settle for a proper bolt-nut system by getting rid of the plastic studs. The other option is to provide a packing at the gap that exists between the floor carpet and the bottom edge of the center console. This will arrest the moment of the center console sideways.
Exactly the issue I am facing.

Isn't this nut-bolt system the same that Anurag is mentioned? or are they different? Do you know if anyone has already done this? and again, how do I fix this?
Old 19th September 2014, 16:32   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't this nut-bolt system the same that Anurag is mentioned? or are they different? Do you know if anyone has already done this? and again, how do I fix this?
I don't think so as he is referring to part numbers for screws and if there is a part number associated with it, its the OE part and if so, its not the bolt-not or the screw and its those plastic studs.

Something like this:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-trim.jpg
Old 19th September 2014, 17:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think so as he is referring to part numbers for screws and if there is a part number associated with it, its the OE part and if so, its not the bolt-not or the screw and its those plastic studs.

Something like this:
Attachment 1289570
Oh these, they are already present but of no use.

So if i take a bolt and nut, How do I fix it, considering the metal part is inside the plastic covering?
Old 19th September 2014, 17:08   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh these, they are already present but of no use.

So if i take a bolt and nut, How do I fix it, considering the metal part is inside the plastic covering?
For now, I would say leave this (Bolt-Nut) option out. Instead, Get a piece of sponge and place it firmly in the gap between the floor carpet and the bottom edge of the center console. It will arrest the sideway shaking for sure. You may think of cutting the Yoga Mat and folding it many times and placing this bundle in the gap too.

If you want to go for Bolt-Nut system, you really need some good quality ones with absolutely flat surface on the bolt head. Washers are must here along with the fact that since the nut will be on the inside of the console, you may need to first stick that with some kind of adhesive as you wont be able to hold it to put the bolt from the outside.

I hope you are able to follow what I am trying to say.
Old 19th September 2014, 17:28   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For now, I would say leave this (Bolt-Nut) option out. Instead, Get a piece of sponge and place it firmly in the gap between the floor carpet and the bottom edge of the center console. It will arrest the sideway shaking for sure.

I hope you are able to follow what I am trying to say.
Got it.. I will go with a sponge for now and then decide on the other options later on if required.
Old 19th September 2014, 18:20   #41
BANNED

Quote:
That said, I managed to take measurement of the gaps between the seats of the Ertiga and the Dzire. It is a fact that the gap between the seats in the Ertiga and the Dzire/Swift differ by a considerable margin due to which owners are facing issues installing armrest in their cars while in the Ertiga there is sufficient gap between the seats.

Notice the difference of almost 1.5 Inches and this extra gap is what makes the armrest work without issues in the Ertiga.
So do we have any solution for this?

Are there still anyone who sell the small size armrest like the one you have on your WagonR?

Anurag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks