Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2014, 11:01   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest

Having installed Armrest consoles for my WagonR, Ertiga, Palio and SX4 over the last few years, a colleague of mine was interested to plonk one on his Ecosport as well.

Spent few hours of the weekend installing the Universal armest and here is a short thread pictorially depicting the same.

Few Points:
  • The armrest console is universal and not designed specifically for the Ecosport
  • The width of the center console mandates a DIY clamp to fit the same
  • The actual clamp supplied is less in width and expanding and fitting this is not a good idea
  • Fitting this Armrest will render the cup/bottle holder at the rear of the center console useless
  • This Armrest will affect handbrake operation till one gets used to it by pulling the lever from the side or by folding the armrest
  • There is enough gap between the seats and the armrest wont rub with with either of the seats when they are moved on their rails
  • One most remove the center console and even make 4 holes into it to be able to fit this armrest
  • We used Bolt-Nut system rather than screws to fit the armrest on the center console; This is always better as it secures the armrest unit firmly as opposed to screws on plastic that will eventually loosen over time

The Armrest comes in 3 parts - Armrest, Clamp & base extensions. Below is the sample picture of the clamp (from my Ertiga's armrest) to give you an idea on how wide it is and why we had to look at designing a custom clamp for the Ecosport:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-20140524_103722.jpg
Measurements taken on the width of the Ecosport's center console, layout of the custom clamp drawn on paper with all markings:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-clamp-designing.jpg
A neighborhood hardware workshop used the layout and designed the clamp on a metal sheet in less than 20 minutes:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-clamp-making.jpg
The end result:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-clamp-ready-holes.jpg
Of course, no one would like the metal clamp exposed in the car and hence it needed proper covering and insulation. With loads of material at home (thanks to some DIYs on my WagonR earlier), I started working on the same:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-insulation-_01.jpg
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-insulation.jpg
The clamp looks much better after pasting the carpet material all around:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-clamp-insulated.jpg
Now begins the fitment of the Armrest to this clamp:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-armrest-fit-clamp.jpg
This complete unit will now fit onto the center console:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-armrest-ready-01.jpg
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-armrest-ready-02.jpg
We had to do away with the base extension as the height of the driver didn't require this as part of the fitment. We could manage with just the custom clamp alone. The below picture represents how the unit would look if the base extension were also included as part of our fitting:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-arrmest-extended-base.jpg
Few pictures after the center gear lever console was carefully removed:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-console-02.jpg
The holes were marked and drilled using a drilling machine
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-console-01.jpg
After fitting the armrest to the center console:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-fitted-console.jpg
Top view:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-top-view.jpg
A pic from the rear to show the gap between the seats. Also notice how one cannot use the cup holder at the rear now:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-rear-view.jpg
This one depicts the area on how it affects the handbrake operation:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-done-1.jpg
The Happy Happy owner after the fitment:
EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest-done-2.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 30th July 2014 at 11:23.
paragsachania is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 23:06   #2
BHPian

Re: EcoSport DIY: Installing aftermarket Armrest

Nice! even the colour and texture matches.

Anybody with any experience with an i10.
vineshpikale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 00:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Your DIYs are becoming Quality DIYs now. You fabricated a clamp for my Palio in 2012 just before my Bhutan drive(was such a bliss for a long drive like that). I did not have time for the Velcro finish then :(

Looks so OE to me!!
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 09:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineshpikale View Post
Anybody with any experience with an i10.
The most primary aspects to consider are:
  • The width between the 2 seats in front
  • Width of the center gear lever console

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Your DIYs are becoming Quality DIYs now. You fabricated a clamp for my Palio in 2012 just before my Bhutan drive(was such a bliss for a long drive like that). I did not have time for the Velcro finish then :(

Looks so OE to me!!
Palio was a challenge. There was no bottle holder console in the center and that made me think what was the best option. Making the clamp was also a challenge in the absence of the car in front of me and hence the clamp has adjustable holes for lateral movement.

And yes, if not for the lack of time, I may have completed that with all the essential wrapping with final touches!
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 11:47   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Having installed Armrest consoles for my WagonR, Ertiga, Palio and SX4 over the last few years, a colleague of mine was interested to plonk one on his Ecosport as well.

Spent few hours of the weekend installing the Universal armest and here is a short thread pictorially depicting the same.
Classic install. I am also contemplating the install since I drive a lot and do need it.

Very neat install with all the necessary precautions taken.

I know you don't do any shoddy work like our ASC's.

PS: Nice seat covers there.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 14:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Palio was a challenge. There was no bottle holder console in the center and that made me think what was the best option. Making the clamp was also a challenge in the absence of the car in front of me and hence the clamp has adjustable holes for lateral movement.

And yes, if not for the lack of time, I may have completed that with all the essential wrapping with final touches!
Wonderful job man.. seriously very good.. had procured the universal arm rest from Ebay for my Brio but yet to install it since i was always scared that i would botch it up completely and may damage the centre panel in the car.. Can you please help me fix it or let me know some shop or anybody else in Bangalore who would install this for me.. Many Thanks
rashreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 14:38   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Classic install. I am also contemplating the install since I drive a lot and do need it.
Swift might need a clamp if I can recall it right.
Quote:
I know you don't do any shoddy work like our ASC's.
ACS's better do the servicing in a proper manner than just giving your car shining clean with those tire polish and dashboard shiner leaving all issues/complaints unattended due to lack to competency !
Quote:
PS: Nice seat covers there.
This is the chap who's been stitching seat covers for my referrals since 2003. He was working at a accessories shop and shared with me the fact that he stitches them in his house and next time if I need covers, call him directly.

He does door service for all the fittings and many of my friends are fully happy with his workmanship till date.
Old 31st July 2014, 16:53   #8

Hello paragsachania,

I am planning for an Armrest in my Hyundai Xcent.
do you have any idea who can provide necessary spares and fitting in Bangalore? thanks in advance for your suggestions
RVVSatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 17:18   #9
BHPian

That is some amazingly neat Job. I am planning one for my spark since ages but I am afraid of the work that the ASC's do. Your work will help many fellow members in the installation. Thanks in advance.
Ritesh_Dogar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 19:34   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashreddy View Post
Wonderful job man.. seriously very good.. had procured the universal arm rest from Ebay for my Brio but yet to install it since i was always scared that i would botch it up completely and may damage the centre panel in the car.. Can you please help me fix it or let me know some shop or anybody else in Bangalore who would install this for me.. Many Thanks
I am not sure about any shops who would do that as I personally have never visited these accessory shops for any kind of fitment till now. Ideally, any accessory shop selling armrest would also install them for you.
You only need to take care of the installation as most of the armrest have similar width for the base clamp but not all cars have same width for the center console.
In process of fitting the armrest, these installers will expand the plastic clamp to match the width of the center console and then if you bolt the clamps to the center plastic, not only will the fitment be bad but it wont be secure as well.

The primary reason why we designed a clamp in EcoSport's case!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVVSatya View Post
Hello paragsachania,

I am planning for an Armrest in my Hyundai Xcent.
do you have any idea who can provide necessary spares and fitting in Bangalore? thanks in advance for your suggestions
Check out any renowned accessory shop in Bangalore. Most of them are selling these armrests as I have noticed. If they sell it, they may as well fit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritesh_Dogar View Post
That is some amazingly neat Job. I am planning one for my spark since ages but I am afraid of the work that the ASC's do. Your work will help many fellow members in the installation. Thanks in advance.
You are welcome buddy! Just measure the width of the bottle holder console in the center and then you are good to decide whether to use the stock shipped Armrest clamp or have to make one yourself to fit the width.

More than anything, please use Bolt-Nut system with washers on both sides when fitting the Armrest to center console. Screws simply wont hold for long on plastics and will loosen over time.
Old 1st August 2014, 13:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Each of your DYI's on the arm rest is strengthening my resolve to get one for my new dzire, I will probably bite the bullet now with couple of long drives coming up.

Great work as always mate. Cheers!!
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 16:36   #12
BHPian

Hi paragsachania,

Thanks for wonderful DIY on Armrest cum storage.

I personally hate the arm-rest on Toyota Fortuner & I am sure Innova guys would agree as it's far behind & you can't really use it as Hand-rest.

I wish someone could modify the existing Hand-rest cum Box aesthetically for better use.
Toyota are you Listening ?
Wanderers is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 12:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashreddy View Post
I checked (over call)at an accessory shop called Favara near kundanahalli gate and he quoted Rs1800 including installation. This was for a Dzire. I am planning to go there over the weekend and check out the product before getting it done with some negotiations. You can try calling them to check if they only do the installation.
Old 6th August 2014, 12:26   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I checked (over call)at an accessory shop called Favara near kundanahalli gate and he quoted Rs1800 including installation. This was for a Dzire. I am planning to go there over the weekend and check out the product before getting it done with some negotiations. You can try calling them to check if they only do the installation.
Buy it online from ebay at less than 1200. Dzire may not need a clamp. Fitting labor cannot be more than 300 at any cost.
Old 6th August 2014, 12:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buy it online from ebay at less than 1200. Dzire may not need a clamp. Fitting labor cannot be more than 300 at any cost.
That is what I was thinking too, but wanted to check their product first, then negotiate the price, if they can do it for 1500, then i would prefer going to them itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks