Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2014, 11:58   #31
BHPian

Re: DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
If your intention is to camp during leh ladakh circuit, I would suggest you to go for carrying a camping material. Adventure 18 has many camping accessories, including, tents, sleeping bags, sleeping mats, AIr cusion, etc.,

Having proper sleep and rest is very important part of Preventing Acute Mountain Sickness, which causes difficulty in sleeping. You need good sleep to acclimatise to high altitude. So I would recommend a hotel or home stay or a camp, rather than sleeping in your vehicle.
Thanks for your concern, my intention was to see if I can suitably modify my vehicle and camp in it. Yes of course staying in a homestay/ hotel is always an option if the going gets too tough :-)
Old 2nd August 2014, 12:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwar View Post
I love your enthusiasm and think that you make a very strong case for this setup.
Camping in my Gypsy for 7 years now! Considering an upgrade to Scorpio/Storme

Quote:
My Scorpio has a typical 7 seat setup which means the bench seat is in the middle and the two jump seats are in the back. I will have to check how this will fit in with this configuration. When you say six feet of bed area were you covering the front seats or were you getting six feet with the seats all way forward ?
Should still be doable with the middle bench seat. Does it come off easily? Platform ply will have to be longer though, upto the tailgate. In my orig idea, the rear bench seat acts as an extender to the platform.

Six feet behind starting from behind the driver seat and including the rear bench seat.

Quote:
The d-max is a vehicle that I have been looking at picking for recreational purposes as and when they launch with a 4x4. My original intention was to carry my thunderbird 500 in the cargo area, but thinking about it, it also make excellent base for a tent.
A desi option already exists in the form of a Tata GoTruck - a 207 with Safari 3.0l engine. Rear platform is 5.5x5.5 ft- (2-3 ft longer if u go single cab) - enough place to build a mini-caravan.

A dedicated vehicle allows for more options - i was thinking of building one on a Tata Winger platform. But pursuing this option needs another car you can use as a city roundabout. How many parking slots are there in your apartment!

Last edited by COUGAR : 2nd August 2014 at 12:13.
Old 2nd August 2014, 14:21   #33
BHPian

This is amazing, and this is why I love Team BHP. The same thought has been running through my mind for quite some time. I was pretty confident that this is where I will find like minded people. When I told about this to my family, they laughed at me, and when I persisted with the idea, now they are concerned!

I also saw the top gear episode (and there were couple of them) and the idea really fascinated me.

Not just Ladakh, but this kind of arrangement can be used while touring/camping anywhere else as well. Of course you need a company who is just as nuts as you are about touring/camping. Just park at a pertol pump, or near a hotel, or a spot with a nice view, get a portable barbecue to cook food for the night, and just drive through the day

Now since this thought came to my mind, I have been making some plans of my own for quite some time, which I will share here. But before that, few disclaimers -
  • I recently bought an Ertiga, so all my thoughts and designs are on this car
  • I have dreamt of owning a Scorpio for quite some time, but couldn't go for it this time because of economical constraints (The economics of living with it rather than buying it). So I am hoping you can do this successfully for me to follow once I get my own Scorp
  • These are still all on paper (actually powerpoint). I have not actually measured the insides of the Ertiga but will soon do it one of these next weekends

These are the requirements that I was working against -
  • I don't want to remove any of the seats, or do any welds to the car
  • So I was looking for a solution that can be setup on top of the existing layout, folded away easily when done
  • I think if we can get a flat surface that is parallel to the ground, and can sit on top of the folded seats, we will be able to use it as a platform to place a custom designed mat and sleep on it
  • It would be good if two such solutions can accommodate in one car, so that if you are going in a group, you can have two patrons driving and sleeping in each car. Helps to have some company and a co driver for the drive

OK now here's what I thought:

Here is one view of the arrangement
DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio-ertigabunkbed1.jpg

Here is the side view
DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio-ertigabunkbed2.jpg

Here is what it will look like when folder
DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio-ertigabunkbed3.jpg
  • A similar setup can be created to be placed behind the driver's seat, and you can have two beds in one car (albeit a bit narrow)
  • The height of the platform can be as tall as we want, and the area below it can be used for placing the luggage while sleeping
  • While driving around, the platform and the mattress will be folded in the trunk, so safety will not be hampered
  • Elastic ropes can be used for holding the folded platform together
  • I will start interior work in my new home soon and will ask the carpenter what it will take to make something like this

If the Scorpio seats fold flat like Ertiga's, you can use something like this and not worry about removing the seats. So what do you guys think?
KedarB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 15:00   #34
BHPian

Do the seats in a scorpio fold down all the way like this?

I think that is only on the XUV? Getting the seats fully flat is a problem - tried it once in a friends car and was very uncomfortable.
Old 2nd August 2014, 23:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarB View Post
This is amazing, and this is why I love Team BHP. The same thought has been running through my mind for quite some time. I was pretty confident that this is where I will find like minded people. When I told about this to my family, they laughed at me, and when I persisted with the idea, now they are concerned!
Well planned dude. You are on the right track. Keep us updated about your experiences with the setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Do the seats in a scorpio fold down all the way like this?

I think that is only on the XUV? Getting the seats fully flat is a problem - tried it once in a friends car and was very uncomfortable.
You are right Cougar. The Scorpio doesn't have flat bed seats , so this kind of a setup will unfortunately not work for us.

Quote:
Camping in my Gypsy for 7 years now! Considering an upgrade to Scorpio/Storme

Should still be doable with the middle bench seat. Does it come off easily? Platform ply will have to be longer though, upto the tailgate. In my orig idea, the rear bench seat acts as an extender to the platform.

Six feet behind starting from behind the driver seat and including the rear bench seat.
Awesome, definitely going to look up your travelogues on the forum.

Puling out the middle seat should not be a problem , will check and see how many screws anchor it down.

I will measure the length again, I thought we had only 5 feet space with the seats pushed forward.

Quote:
A desi option already exists in the form of a Tata GoTruck - a 207 with Safari 3.0l engine. Rear platform is 5.5x5.5 ft- (2-3 ft longer if u go single cab) - enough place to build a mini-caravan.

A dedicated vehicle allows for more options - i was thinking of building one on a Tata Winger platform. But pursuing this option needs another car you can use as a city roundabout. How many parking slots are there in your apartment!

I used to own a tata estate ages back and don't think I will pick up another tata vehicle in this lifetime unless of course its from the jaguar land rover stables where I might be tempted to change my mind :-P.

The twin cab and the 207 do seem to tick all the right points but their vehicles /service/ resale are always suspect as far as I'm concerned.

Luckily there's no designated parking spaces where I live, unfortunately this also translates into everyone having tons of vehicles.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th August 2014 at 09:48.
bwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 11:32   #36

Have you considered ironman roof top tents , I feel this would be best option considering the complications of interior modifications and resetting them to normal after the trip. 4X4 roof top tents are best in almost all weather and they come with a host of accessories. Instead of spending money on modification you can consider an extra accessory to your car and keep it in your garage when you dont need it.
http://www.ironman4x4.com/rooftop-tent/

You can watch gulpanag video in mahindra scorpio website which has the same and has been used in ladak landscape.

Sudhi
Old 3rd August 2014, 17:20   #37
BHPian

Great concept but no offence - is all this worth the significant effort? Meaning - as mentioned in the discussion earlier there aren't proper camping grounds in India and typically all of us would plan to stay in hotel/lodge/homestay which will also take care of food and other necessities.

Also, other than off beat tracks within Ladakh - most of the places in India have accommodation available. A bed within a vehicle will surely come in handy if one is travelling for days without there being the possibility of finding accommodation. But chances of doing such activity on a routine basis is remote.

Personally, if I were to do something like this - then I would be focused on the bed and my ability to use the bed as against the journey. What happens if the bed/ equipment suffers damage during the drive? A good camping gear could be another option.

Just my thoughts and as I said - please don't take offence to this. I feel this requires significant efforts but the corresponding returns may not be commensurate with the effort.
Old 3rd August 2014, 18:37   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susudi View Post
Have you considered ironman roof top tents , I feel this would be best option considering the complications of interior modifications and resetting them to normal after the trip. 4X4 roof top tents are best in almost all weather and they come with a host of accessories. Instead of spending money on modification you can consider an extra accessory to your car and keep it in your garage when you dont need it.
http://www.ironman4x4.com/rooftop-tent/

You can watch gulpanag video in mahindra scorpio website which has the same and has been used in ladak landscape.

Sudhi
I liked the Maggiolina & Columbus rooftop tents being manufactured by http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/ . Unfortunately they don't appear to be available in India. Look for videos on youtube, they seem to be awesome in the roof top category.

There is a lady who has a coach building industry in he south who was selling something akin to these on of the facebook pages https://www.facebook.com/vipina.jeya...7875926&type=3 . She quoted be Rs. 3 lacs for the same which I felt was not justified.

After all its a fibre glass shell with mattress inside and how much can the scissor setup for rolling up the canopy or the gas springs for raising the canopy cost,even after making a reasonable amount of profit. I think its just a matter of time before a domestic manufacturer/s realise the potential of the camping and adventure tourism industry and get their act together.

http://www.prolineracks.com/car-roof...-carriers.html
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=fi...h=736&dpr=1.25

Stuff like this is already available , it's just a matter of suitably modifying them.

I have also written to the iron mans indian distributor asking for a quote , will update the thread when I hear from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
Great concept but no offence - is all this worth the significant effort? Meaning - as mentioned in the discussion earlier there aren't proper camping grounds in India and typically all of us would plan to stay in hotel/lodge/homestay which will also take care of food and other necessities.

Also, other than off beat tracks within Ladakh - most of the places in India have accommodation available. A bed within a vehicle will surely come in handy if one is travelling for days without there being the possibility of finding accommodation. But chances of doing such activity on a routine basis is remote.

Personally, if I were to do something like this - then I would be focused on the bed and my ability to use the bed as against the journey. What happens if the bed/ equipment suffers damage during the drive? A good camping gear could be another option.

Just my thoughts and as I said - please don't take offence to this. I feel this requires significant efforts but the corresponding returns may not be commensurate with the effort.

No offence taken, its good to hear a variety of thoughts so that one can make an informed decision after considering all the pros and cons of a setup like this.

Like I mentioned above , someones got to make a start and once hotel owners/ campsite owners start seeing a a volume of people looking for places to park / needing a wash and change room / needing an electricity connection to anchor their vehicles when stationary / etc. they should start to provide the same. I think the market is just right for small 4x4 caravans built atop the tata 207's, the isuzus, the mahindra getaways,mahindra 540's, the bolero campers,etc. to start mushrooming.

Maybe some one just rent some land for camping facilities along some of the right routes and start a business. Any Team Bhpian's interested ?

Well we can live in hope anyway

Last edited by bwar : 3rd August 2014 at 19:02.
Old 3rd August 2014, 20:07   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarB View Post
  • While driving around, the platform and the mattress will be folded in the trunk, so safety will not be hampered
  • An alternative to this: when driving, carry these frames on the roof. If this just a frame, it will not cause much of a problem if placed on the roof top. The interior space can then be used for luggage.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 20:24   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
An alternative to this: when driving, carry these frames on the roof. If this just a frame, it will not cause much of a problem if placed on the roof top. The interior space can then be used for luggage.[/list]
I guess he will also have to keep it covered with plastic/ tarpaulin to keep the dust and water out from the wood frame and / or the matress if it also goes on the roof.
Old 4th August 2014, 01:52   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe instead of the ply which will eat up on space and is also a safety hazard - something like this might help though you might also have to carry a sleeping bag for the harsh temperatures.
Old 4th August 2014, 03:09   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acclero View Post
Maybe instead of the ply which will eat up on space and is also a safety hazard - something like this might help though you might also have to carry a sleeping bag for the harsh temperatures.

Thanks Acclero, but unfortunately the scorpio does not have seats like this.

This is what the seats look like when folded, which means that we have no option but to unscrew the seats and leave them behind if one is planning on sleeping in the vehicle.

Does anyone have any idea if we can retrofit the fold flat seats of any other suv in the scorpio ? If that is possible then a trip to Mayapuri may be on the cards.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th August 2014 at 09:48.
Old 4th August 2014, 07:37   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
If you mean marked campsites like the ones in the US with relative safety, common toilet facilities, place to plug in your campers electrical system and such, then no, we dont have many of those right now. But there ARE places where you can camp. The back of a car, if properly done up CAN be more comfortable than a tent.

I have been camping out for years in various forests and on some roadtrips on the roadside beside a dhaba. There are an amazing number of sites in Himachal, Uttarakhand where u can camp in peace without much disturbance from locals. Maharashtra and Karnataka have a fair share of such places mainly along the western ghats and along Satyamangala. Rajasthan I have learnt people can get intrusive, sometimes annoyingly so.

A typical weekend has me driving out to my favorite camping site: mine is one beside the Ramganga river. Once there, my friend indulges in his pastime of fishing, while I fly my latest RC build or read a book! We carry our own supplies of groceries and a Coleman Multi-Fuel stove for cooking. Toilet facility is the dabba system! We used to carry our tents earlier on such trips, usually on bike trips. But have now found the car is much more comfortable, especially in winters. Its also much more easier to make and break camp!

On longer road trips have found that the option of camping in the car can be a godsend! I usually dont drive after 8pm or so unless I am well rested in the day: which is like never! Its not always that we have good/safe accommodation in all places. The last time in Samba, we were asked if we wanted the sad looking room by the hour! In such cases, the option to camp out in the car can be very helpful! Learning from some bad experiences, I now park for the night beside a dhaba or some place with people around.

PS: On last road trip, car-camped in Drass & Hundar: in the 1st case because accomodation wasnt available when we reached past 8pm and in the 2nd case because it looked like fun!
COUGAR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 09:44   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Just a warning, If the ply is a fixed kind then in case of an accident esp a rear ending (even a minor one) can be very fatal.
I completely agree. While from the convenience point of view, it is a great idea, however, from safety perspective, not a good idea at all!!
Old 4th August 2014, 09:58   #45
BHPian

hi

Kindly have a look at the links I am attaching and see if u can make some thing of this form.

http://www.swissroombox.com/
VineetSoni is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks