Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2014, 09:53   #76
BHPian

Re: DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Exactly, that is what i was telling. In the Scorpio there is enough space to put a 6 ft X 5 ft bed
Yes, the 2nd row full tumble is resisted by AC unit in all Scorpios.
Thanks, I was worried for a minute :-)

Quote:
I guess, now you have two options:
1. Just put some padding in the foot well and use a foldable mattress like this:
Attachment 1270912
Advantages
This seems to be the cheapest option.
Privacy as you are below window level.
Lots of headroom

Disadvantages
Footwell will need to be brought to level. If a person really wants to economise, old newspapers can be used for this purpose.
You loose out on baggage space.

Quote:
2. Use a foldable metal bed and use a slim mattress on it
Attachment 1270914
Attachment 1270913
The bed you have shown is available online for a little over 5000 rupees. I will see if a local manufacturer also has something akin to this. I checked on quikr and there were people selling second hand folding beds with a sheet of ply covering them for as low as 1000 rupess.

Quote:
In the second option, you can just fold the middle row and put the foldable metal bed on top of it. Probably you will need to adjust length of the legs.

Everything can be easily setup/removed in 5 mins.
Since we have no shortage of space I would rather invest in a 4 inch/ 6 inch foam mattress so that I can have a good night's rest. But yes, this entire setup from start to finish should not take more than 5 minutes. Also the folding bed can be removed and used at home as and when you have guests over and are in need of an extra bed.
Old 6th August 2014, 13:38   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwar View Post
Thanks, I was worried for a minute :-)

Advantages
This seems to be the cheapest option.
Privacy as you are below window level.
Lots of headroom

Disadvantages
Footwell will need to be brought to level. If a person really wants to economise, old newspapers can be used for this purpose.
You loose out on baggage space.

The bed you have shown is available online for a little over 5000 rupees. I will see if a local manufacturer also has something akin to this. I checked on quikr and there were people selling second hand folding beds with a sheet of ply covering them for as low as 1000 rupess.

Since we have no shortage of space I would rather invest in a 4 inch/ 6 inch foam mattress so that I can have a good night's rest. But yes, this entire setup from start to finish should not take more than 5 minutes. Also the folding bed can be removed and used at home as and when you have guests over and are in need of an extra bed.
For option 1: When you are touring, you can dump some luggage in the footwell to bring it level and while sleeping your baggage can be dumped in the first row. Since you are using a folding mattress, it will occupy less space and can be opened only to sleep.

For option 2: I have seen such metal beds in local shops. Availability is not a problem. But carrying a 4/6 inch might not be ideal, mainly because foam bed cannot be folded. You have to keep it sideways on one side. An alternative could be good quality cotton bed or sleeping bags, which can easily folded.

I would say you cannot find the best option just by ideating.
Maybe you can take a existing mattress, remove the 2nd and 3rd seats, head out of town, park in a safe area and just sleep. You'll then understand the shortcomings and then think about improvements.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 14:17   #78
Senior - BHPian

Here is one of the videos - it is a trailer but the special which is called Top Gear in Africa is also available on Youtube in complete. In this particular one they customize their cars for sleeping arrangements.

You can skip to 1:20 but do see the full episode if you can more details would be on it in most likelyhood

Old 6th August 2014, 19:18   #79
BHPian

Do refer for some top notch engineering ideas, how best to utilize the available space. Folding, retracting... its all in there

All of them are trailer types; but there are a lot to learn from em.

Conqueror Austraila
Old 7th August 2014, 21:43   #80
BHPian

Quote:
For option 1: When you are touring, you can dump some luggage in the footwell to bring it level and while sleeping your baggage can be dumped in the first row. Since you are using a folding mattress, it will occupy less space and can be opened only to sleep.

For option 2: I have seen such metal beds in local shops. Availability is not a problem. But carrying a 4/6 inch might not be ideal, mainly because foam bed cannot be folded. You have to keep it sideways on one side. An alternative could be good quality cotton bed or sleeping bags, which can easily folded.

I would say you cannot find the best option just by ideating.
Maybe you can take a existing mattress, remove the 2nd and 3rd seats, head out of town, park in a safe area and just sleep. You'll then understand the shortcomings and then think about improvements.
Thanks for the tips , will work on them this weekend as D-Day is fast approaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Here is one of the videos - it is a trailer but the special which is called Top Gear in Africa is also available on Youtube in complete. In this particular one they customize their cars for sleeping arrangements.

You can skip to 1:20 but do see the full episode if you can more details would be on it in most likelyhood

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=c4OMuyOfQE0

Thanks for this clip. I will try to look for the complete video online so that I can see what exactly they had done. This clip just had a glimpse of the bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Do refer for some top notch engineering ideas, how best to utilize the available space. Folding, retracting... its all in there

Sample

All of them are trailer types; but there are a lot to learn from em.

Conqueror Austraila

Wow this is good stuff.
bwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 02:46   #81

Interesting topic and idea.
Will keep an eye on this thread. I was watching various videos on Youtube and found this video:-
Just thought to share.
ArchitectIT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 08:43   #82
BHPian

There is also an excellent (U.S. based) forum specifically tailored to overland expeditions where you might be able to find some tips and hints. Google expedition portal and you should find it.
Old 8th August 2014, 09:55   #83
BHPian

Quote:

if you are thinking on floor bedding, in that case you can go for any of these.

[ATTACH]DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio-download.jpg

DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio-images-1.jpg

DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio-images-2.jpg

DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio-images-3.jpg[/ATTACH]

you can actually get them costume made to suit your needs.
Old 9th August 2014, 00:45   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchitectIT View Post
Interesting topic and idea.
Will keep an eye on this thread. I was watching various videos on Youtube and found this video:- https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=TOTFY8RVf4g
Just thought to share.

Thanks just saw the 1st part and the portable toilet was something that I feel could be a blessing in disguise when a man needs to go .

Snapdeal seems to have something similar.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/sunw...-stool/1435625

and heres one on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stansport-Po.../181486721549?

For the environmentally conscious, there is also an option with a biodegradable single use toilet bag

http://www.peepoople.com/peepoo/start-thinking-peepoo/

Just don't show the biodegradable bags to the authorities as you may land up in trouble

http://www.indiahikes.in/general-art...oasal-trouble/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
There is also an excellent (U.S. based) forum specifically tailored to overland expeditions where you might be able to find some tips and hints. Google expedition portal and you should find it.
Thanks Ajit. I did have a look sometime back. I intend to read up some more in my free time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetSoni View Post
if you are thinking on floor bedding, in that case you can go for any of these.

[ATTACH]Attachment 1271955

Attachment 1271956

Attachment 1271957

Attachment 1271958[/ATTACH]

you can actually get them costume made to suit your needs.

Thanks Vineet. Yes these look very useful as well. The only thing is that when I looked online they seemed to be pretty expensive. I think that once I have a list ready , a trip to the furniture market in Kirti Nagar is due.

Last edited by bwar : 9th August 2014 at 01:13.
Old 9th August 2014, 03:33   #85
BHPian

Biodegradable Bags are available in India , so anyone going camping can order them from the links below. Once you have attended to your business the waste can be safely buried without any harm to the fragile environment . Remember to carry a small shovel.

Links attached below. If you come across any more please post them here.

http://www.snapdeal.com/search?keywo...D=&dealDetail=

http://www.avonflex.in/bio-degradable-bags.html

http://green-revolution.in/oxo-Biode...e-Garbage-Bags
Old 9th August 2014, 09:55   #86
BHPian

Is this bio degradable bags so difficult to find? Its nothing but normal garbage bags which comes in black color and its very cheap and available in all local supermarkets, the degrading duration may be varying depending on the brands, but its not a problem to find a good one.
Old 9th August 2014, 09:59   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Is this bio degradable bags so difficult to find? Its nothing but normal garbage bags which comes in black color and its very cheap and available in all local supermarkets, the degrading duration may be varying depending on the brands, but its not a problem to find a good one.
CMS; The black ones are normal garbage bags and are made of 2nd grade plastic I believe. The ones which are white in colour are food grade. Neither the black ones nor the white one are biodegradable which is one of the reasons that they were banned in Delhi.

Can somebody confirm the same ?

Last edited by bwar : 9th August 2014 at 10:14.
Old 9th August 2014, 10:03   #88
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks Vineet. Yes these look very useful as well. The only thing is that when I looked online they seemed to be pretty expensive. I think that once I have a list ready , a trip to the furniture market in Kirti Nagar is due.
DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio-images.jpg
there is a Furniture Market right on the main road in front sector 14 banks lane Gurgaon

the above mattress with size of 5ft x6ft will cost some where about 5k no bargain done.

DIY: Sleeping Bed in a Scorpio-images-1.jpg
the above mattress also known as fold able yoga mat have seen many ladies carrying them to park early morning will cost you some where around 1500 to 2500 depending on size.
VineetSoni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 10:50   #89
BHPian

Quote:
black ones nor the white one
I think you are talking about the normal "kit bags" or covers, I am talking about waste disposal bags specifically made for disposing household waste (both dry and wet)
Old 9th August 2014, 10:54   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetSoni View Post
Attachment 1272192
there is a Furniture Market right on the main road in front sector 14 banks lane Gurgaon

the above mattress with size of 5ft x6ft will cost some where about 5k no bargain done.

Attachment 1272193
the above mattress also known as fold able yoga mat have seen many ladies carrying them to park early morning will cost you some where around 1500 to 2500 depending on size.
Thanks a ton. This will prove useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
I think you are talking about the normal "kit bags" or covers, I am talking about waste disposal bags specifically made for disposing household waste (both dry and wet)
Thanks CMS for the clarification. Do you have a link where I can pick them up online ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks