Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2015, 16:18   #1
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox

The Brio comes with a fairly large and usable glove compartment and over the past few years I've owned this car, I've always enjoyed the quiet interior only to be let down by a few clanks and rattles from contents (coins, AUX-in cables, pens) stored in the glove compartment when the car is driven over some non-existent patches that make up Bangalore's roads.

Some premium cars come with a felt lined glove compartment like the Skoda Octavia pictured here in this link and I've always been wanting to add this lining to the Brio and hence this DIY.

Tools Needed
  • Philips head screwdriver
  • Hobby knife
  • Two layers of Felt lining - Size: 13.5" x 16"
  • Fevicol SR 998 - Synthetic Rubber Adhesive - 100 ML
  • An expired loyalty card/old credit card
  • Tissue paper
  • Colin Spray
  • Three sheets of news paper

Step 1: Remove the glove compartment from the dashboard
Removing the Brio's glove compartment is a breeze, just press the edges and it slides out. A slight tug on the bottom end of the glove box and the press-fit clamps comes out and voila, the glove box is free from the rest of the dash.

Step 2: Unscrew the 9 screws as indicated below.
Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox-01.jpg

Gently tug the corners of the glove compartment and it will detach into two pieces
Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox-02.jpg

Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox-03.jpg

Step 3: Keep the tin of Fevicol SR 998, expired loyalty card, tissue paper and Colin spray handy
Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox-04.jpg

Spray a light mist of Colin spray glass cleaner over the surfaces and wipe them clean to make them free of any dust. The Honda sticker on the innser side of the glove compartment can be removed by soaking it in Colin and gently scraping it with the hobby knife
Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox-06.jpg

Step 4: Use newspaper to draw out a template for each inner side of the glove compartment. Having a template also makes it easier to cut the felt lining to the right size.
Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox-07.jpg

After measuring and cutting the paper, use that as a template by placing it over the felt and using a knife to cut the right curve of the felt to make sure it fits correctly when pasted
Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox-08.jpg

The pieces (5 in total) after being cut using the newspaper template will look like this
Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox-09.jpg

Before pasting it, check if the felt lining is cut to the right size by placing it over the inner lid of the dashboard and checking if it fits perfectly.
Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox-010.jpg

Step 5: Working in a well ventilated area, mix the Fevicol SR 998 adhesive and spread a thin even layer over the inner lid of the dashboard and stick the felt gently while making sure all the nooks are covered. A little excess on the sides is okay as that is covered up once the lid is screwed onto the glove compartment
Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox-011.jpg

Spread a thin layer over the sides of the glove compartment and paste the felt lining over the sides first before any other part as that will allow for a perfect seamless fit
Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox-012.jpg

Apply thin layers to the remaining inner sides of the glove compartment and gently stick the felt lining into place
Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox-013.jpg

Step 6: After letting the pieces dry for about 15-20 minutes, refit the lid to the glove compartment and smoothen any creases in the felt for a perfect fit that looks like an OEM fitment
Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox-014.jpg

Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox-015.jpg

Let the finished glove compartment air in the open for a few hours before you fit it back on the dashboard to prevent the smell of the adhesive permeating into the interiors of the car.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd July 2015 at 17:27. Reason: Fixing a small typo. Thanks for sharing :)
gpa is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 17:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox

Great mod! Where do we get this felt lining?
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 18:11   #3
gpa
Senior - BHPian

You can get it at some stores that stock automobile carpet and insulation material. You can also check in your local arts and craft stores since they also sell felt lining.
gpa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 19:03   #4
BHPian

Neat work there ! Need to do this on both my cars.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 14:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio DIY: Felt-lined Glovebox

Thanks for sharing the step-by-step procedure. That's a nice and simple modification.

How much time did you totally take to get this done? I'm guessing a darker coloured felt would have looked better, no?
Old 3rd July 2015, 15:25   #6
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
How much time did you totally take to get this done? I'm guessing a darker coloured felt would have looked better, no?
Took me about two hours in all from start to finish. I preferred this light colored felt since light dust will show up better and I can use a vacuum cleaner to clean it. Besides, the innards of the glove box is not usually seen when one is seated in the car
gpa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 17:35   #7
BHPian

Great job and a nice idea that can be used across models. May the coin rattles rest in peace .
Will look forward to doing it in my zest.
mayankverma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 19:03   #8
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 4th July 2015 at 14:56.
sheldon4888 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd July 2015, 20:33   #9
BHPian

Neat job! This truly looks like a OEM job. Thank you for the step by step procedure. I will try this tomorrow itself!
eltoro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 22:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Superb! Every cubby hole and storage recess in the interior is a candidate for this, with the right shade of felt.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 22:52   #11
BHPian

At first when I saw the title of the thread, I was like Why? Upon seeing the fit and finish from the accompanying photos I was like WOW!

Now, I plan to felt line not only my glove box but also several storage spaces in my home.
arunkumarsarat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 23:33   #12
BHPian

Nicely done! Have been thinking of trying this for several months but never progressed to actually working on it. Will try this once I have some time to spare.
tiger_stripes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 12:59   #13
BHPian

Thanks for the tip. Will practice the same in my Fortuner. Appreciate it once again mate !
Ahmed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 06:02   #14

Thanks gpa for the detailed post. Glove box of our brio has got this trouble of rattling since long time. The car came back from the service recently and i think the issue still persists. Will try this DIY over the weekend.

Also, i suspect the spring or lock assembly is the culprit in my case and i am tired of explaining this to the service guys. Do you have any remedy to get this sorted?
diyaneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 10:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Amazing & very well thought DIY.
I would suggest other members to get small pockets sewn on the side wall felt pieces. These can be used to store USB cable, pendrive, pocket knife, slim torch etc, that may get lost in deep recesses after we put car docs and manuals there.

Just my two cents.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks