Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2015, 15:35   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY Install: 'TyreSafe' Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

This is an excellent product, however, when in India, i would prefer something more secure. Perhaps the one where the sensor is inside the tyre. No doubt, this is one of the most useful add-ons. One question. Does it mention how the product works? Since its bolted on, i am guessing it is regularly taking samples of the air in the tyre to get the statistic.
AveekKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 16:09   #17
BHPian

Great thread and great find (at aliexpress). Thanks for sharing.

Pardon me if it is naïve question, but are the threads on the sensors are universal? I.e. will be a ready for for all valve stems of all cars? Or is it specific to each manufacturer? (Don’t know if all the valve stems for all the cars are universal size).

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th August 2015 at 16:30. Reason: Please avoid the period (.) at the end of the post.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 16:24   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveekKumar View Post
One question. Does it mention how the product works? Since its bolted on, i am guessing it is regularly taking samples of the air in the tyre to get the statistic.
No mention anywhere.

Some it sits on the tyre valve, it reads the pressure inside the tyre wall and send it to the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Great thread and great find (at aliexpress). Thanks for sharing.

Pardon me if it is naïve question, but are the threads on the sensors are universal? I.e. will be a ready for for all valve stems of all cars? Or is it specific to each manufacturer? (Don’t know if all the valve stems for all the cars are universal size).
The thread length should be 9mm. Universal size going by the picture in the manual. Sorry not able to attach pictures.

Last edited by a4anurag : 7th August 2015 at 16:41.
Old 7th August 2015, 16:48   #19
BHPian

Great decision to buy this.

Why can't the manufacturers of all cars provide this facility at least in the top end variant? It's not going to cost them too high on bulk orders. A very important safety feature.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 17:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

During one of my highway drives, a large bolt had pierced my rear right tyre. I had checked my pressure before the start of the journey but somewhere on the way the bolt found it's way and caused a severe pressure drop down to 15psi. I had no inkling of it - stopped my car for a break on the highway side and saw the tyre almost flat. I had driven for several kms in an almost deflated state - fortunately the tyre ( ZLO ) survived. There can be situations like mine where tubeless tyres lose pressure fast and these devices come really handy.

Given the rotten road conditions, manufacturers should add this as an added safety measure to cars.

I see a USB slot in the socket plug. Can this be connected to a USB hub ( something like this) ? I would like to charge a phone and a dashcam from the hub - hope that wouldn't be too much strain on the battery/socket ?

Good review - and certainly a VFM buy at a 5K price.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 7th August 2015 at 17:14.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 17:22   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I see a USB slot in the socket plug. Can this be connected to a USB hub? I would like to charge a phone and a dashcam from the hub - hope that wouldn't be too much strain on the battery/socket ?

Good review - and certainly a VFM buy at a 5K price.
Thank you. Looking at the useful-ness, I invested.

I doubt if it would take that load with three sockets at a time but the one I use is sufficient for average use.

I use a Tom Tom charger that has 2 ports and third one on this TPMS. For me only 1 port is active (mobile charger).
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 19:40   #22
BHPian

@a2anurag,
Thanks for the useful DIY. This is a very good tool to have.
One Question : Every time I go for re-fuelling i check my tyre pressure. So does the sensor has to be removed every time to check the pressure and then put back ?

Not sure if I'm missing something here.

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 19:58   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
One Question : Every time I go for re-fuelling i check my tyre pressure. So does the sensor has to be removed every time to check the pressure and then put back?
Thank you Sir.

Why would need to check the air pressure when you already have the TPMS that displays the pressure inside?

You'll need to remove and re-install the sensors when you need to top-up the air.
Old 7th August 2015, 20:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why would need to check the air pressure when you already have the TPMS that displays the pressure inside?
OOPS my bad . That was a blooper of highest order.

Cheers
MKP
Old 7th August 2015, 22:39   #25
BHPian

Considering that most of us fill air in petrol pumps, how easy or hard would it be for the pump attendant to remove the sensor, fill air and put it back? Any risk of not fitting it back properly?
Old 7th August 2015, 22:43   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Considering that most of us fill air in petrol pumps, how easy or hard would it be for the pump attendant to remove the sensor, fill air and put it back? Any risk of not fitting it back properly?
Easy to remove the sensor but one must take care and be around when the attendant re-installs the sensor on every tyre.

Reason I'm saying this is, air escape slowly if not tightened right and IF over tightened, the Silicon ring inside the sensor will damage and let air escape.

My take is not too loose and not too night. There will be a point where the valve cap also rotates with the sensor during tightening. That point of edge one must stop tightening further. Once the sensor is tightened the hexagonal screw must be rotated anti-clockwise to it is secure with the sensor.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 22:47   #27
BHPian

Nice add on. Considering the risk of filling air in pumps, would a portable tyre inflator a better idea. Decent one's should not cost more than 2k.
Ford_madhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 22:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Do the sensors work only with the main kit they come with? Any mapping of sorts?

In case they don't have any unique mapping, I think these sensors are going to be safe till the time they don't become a mainstream product in the Indian market.

Once roadside drug addicts get to know that these can be sold for a price, however small, these would be one of THE most theft prone things out of a car.

But then I doubt if they at all will be mainstream. I think this is a neat product at this price. I'd definitely buy this for the peace of mind they offer!

EDIT: One more thing though, people who go to the fuel pump to refill air might have to deal with a little headache of ensuring that all the sensors are tightened exactly as they should be. I'd rather get a 12v air pump too. The attendants filling air would ruin this.

Last edited by fine69 : 7th August 2015 at 22:57.
Old 8th August 2015, 10:09   #29
BHPian

It's a great stuff. Congratulations on buying the product. However security could be the concern. Even simple caps gets stolen while car parked anywhere outside society compound or office campus. I have bought pressure monitoring caps but worried to put them on

One question in regard with the temperature sensor. What is the level one should look for?
sunilyk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 13:00   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post
Nice add on. Considering the risk of filling air in pumps, would a portable tyre inflator a better idea. Decent one's should not cost more than 2k.
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Do the sensors work only with the main kit they come with? I'd rather get a 12v air pump too. The attendants filling air would ruin this.
I have a 12V tire inflator so the problem of these attendants mishandling the sensor is ruled out.

I only full fuel at petrol stations. Stopped going there for air top up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilyk View Post
It's a great stuff. Congratulations on buying the product. However security could be the concern.

One question in regard with the temperature sensor. What is the level one should look for?
Thanks.

59 deg C is upper most set point

Last edited by a4anurag : 8th August 2015 at 13:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks