Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2015, 22:44   #1
BHPian

DIY: Adding a Cabin Air Filter to the Honda Brio / Amaze / Mobilio

After reading through many posts I got to know the Cabin Air Filter is missing in my Honda Amaze and I was tired of the fine dust particles on the dashboard, the foul smell and sometimes dust and smoke entering the car when on fresh air mode. I searched online and found that the cabin filter meant for the Honda City Type 3 or the Old Jazz is compatible with the system on the Honda Brio/Amaze/Mobilio.

Went to the auto parts store and bought the same on the condition that I will come and return it if it didn't fit, he knows me well so he agreed. He specifically asked me not to damage the packaging which is understandable.
The printed MRP was Rs.400, he charged me Rs.350.

My car is currently 2 years old and has some 24k+ kms on the odo.

It was a simple 5 minute DIY job. Depicted here as follows.

Removing the glove box is really simple.
Just push the top on both sides inwards and pull it out. It comes right out.
DIY: Adding a Cabin Air Filter to the Honda Brio / Amaze / Mobilio-img_20151124_193818052.jpg
There are two other hinges at the bottom, all you got to do is pull it out.
DIY: Adding a Cabin Air Filter to the Honda Brio / Amaze / Mobilio-img_20151124_193828350.jpg

Things required.

The Cabin Air Filter.
DIY: Adding a Cabin Air Filter to the Honda Brio / Amaze / Mobilio-img_20151124_193507689_hdr.jpg
DIY: Adding a Cabin Air Filter to the Honda Brio / Amaze / Mobilio-img_20151124_193517304.jpg
DIY: Adding a Cabin Air Filter to the Honda Brio / Amaze / Mobilio-img_20151124_193529136.jpg
Cutter and Small Screw Driver/Tester.
DIY: Adding a Cabin Air Filter to the Honda Brio / Amaze / Mobilio-img_20151124_193735892.jpg

Once the glove box is out of the way, the box in question was sealed, so take the cutter and cut any 3 sides, I cut the bottom and the two sides.
DIY: Adding a Cabin Air Filter to the Honda Brio / Amaze / Mobilio-img_20151124_193604772.jpg

Use the small screw driver to open the flap and insert the Cabin Air Filter.
DIY: Adding a Cabin Air Filter to the Honda Brio / Amaze / Mobilio-img_20151124_193615066.jpg
DIY: Adding a Cabin Air Filter to the Honda Brio / Amaze / Mobilio-img_20151124_193633072.jpg

Close the flap and put everything back. Your work is done. Now enjoy the fresh air without worry.

Thank you.
noelnelly is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 18:11   #2
BHPian

Re: DIY: Adding a Cabin Air Filter to the Honda Brio / Amaze / Mobilio

Hi. Nice job. Just a couple of queries.
1. Was the air being already circulated through the box or did you add some ducting?
2. Do we need to make the flap airtight after putting in the filter?
Old 25th November 2015, 19:47   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risham View Post
Hi. Nice job. Just a couple of queries.
1. Was the air being already circulated through the box or did you add some ducting?
2. Do we need to make the flap airtight after putting in the filter?
1. No modification was done whatsoever with the box, originally the air was passing through the box, all I did is add a layer of protection (read, the filter) in the path and the fact that it's got a provision for a filter makes it very easy.

2. The flap is quite rigid when you close it. I ran the blower after the installation and didn't notice any air leak. You don't need the sealing. Sealing will just make it difficult when you want to replace the filter.
noelnelly is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 07:05   #4
BHPian

Does the Brio not have a cabin air filter too? If that's the case, this is a very good buy. If you don't mind sharing, where did you buy the filter from? Also, is it available online? Thanks for sharing, noelnelly. It is an easy and needed DIY!
AnInternetUser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 12:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
Does the Brio not have a cabin air filter too? If that's the case, this is a very good buy. If you don't mind sharing, where did you buy the filter from? Also, is it available online? Thanks for sharing, noelnelly. It is an easy and needed DIY!
The Amaze and Mobilio don't have it, so I doubt the Brio does.

I bought it from this auto parts store called Navkar Automobiles in sector-15, CBD Belapur, Navi Mumbai. The one I bought was a zip brand, you get Bosch ones too but they cost almost double or you could try and get OEM Honda ones, they are also cheaper compared to the Bosch ones.

I wasn't sure it will fit and to avoid the returning hassle I didn't really look online. You will get it, no doubt. Let me know of you find a cheaper or better one online. Thanks.
Old 26th November 2015, 14:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelnelly View Post
The Amaze and Mobilio don't have it, so I doubt the Brio does.

I bought it from this auto parts store called Navkar Automobiles in sector-15, CBD Belapur, Navi Mumbai. The one I bought was a zip brand, you get Bosch ones too but they cost almost double or you could try and get OEM Honda ones, they are also cheaper compared to the Bosch ones.

I wasn't sure it will fit and to avoid the returning hassle I didn't really look online. You will get it, no doubt. Let me know of you find a cheaper or better one online. Thanks.
Might get OEM Honda ones and get it installed by them as my service is due anyway. Any idea whether this voids warranty?
Old 26th November 2015, 17:10   #7
BHPian

This is simple but very thoughtful DIY Would surely recommend to my friend owning Mobilio.

But somehow I wonder why these big manufactures like HONDA in this case, miss-out on such simple things? Is it so much hard for them to accommodate cabin filter in their manufacturing process? How can they miss the cabin filter even after allotting the dedicated space?

Or they wait for TBHPians like noelnelly to come-up with DIYs like this and get the accolades from fellow members
J_Man is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 18:14   #8
Team-BHP Support

That's a very useful DIY, especially in dusty places like Mumbai. Though since you are going through the trouble of adding the cabin filter, might as well buy a good one. I've never heard of Zip, and I would suggest you pick up the Honda OE or even the Bosch one, or any other well known brand.

And don't forget to replace it every year.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 18:36   #9
BHPian

Thanks for sharing a useful and informative DIY procedure. Actually had similar experience after I bought Swift Dzire Vxi two years ago. After a month's drive I realized that cabin air filter is not there, so during the first free service brought the matter to the notice of service advisor. I was told that cabin air filter is not a standard fitment in Swift Dzire Vxi (wondered why the company has left out such a basic and important fitment).

Nonetheless bought one for INR 300/- and got it installed. Closely examined the installation and removal procedure and tried it twice myself. Since then I had cleaned it couple of times whenever have felt that airflow is being obstructed due to excessive dust accumulation. Infact knowing these procedures come in very handy when one wants to do some basic maintenance work on the vehicle. DIY procedures save both the time and money which one has to spend unnecessarily by taking the vehicle to the garage for simple jobs.
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 20:13   #10

Hi Friends,
I am planning to buy a Hindustan Ambassador Grand - 2004 model car. I want to know whether the car originally equipped with a cabin filter or not? If we are going to modify and install a cabin filter how easy and effective it will be? Please help.

Thanks......
Old 26th November 2015, 23:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Man View Post
This is simple but very thoughtful DIY Would surely recommend to my friend owning Mobilio.

But somehow I wonder why these big manufactures like HONDA in this case, miss-out on such simple things? Is it so much hard for them to accommodate cabin filter in their manufacturing process? How can they miss the cabin filter even after allotting the dedicated space?
Please do recommend, the immediate difference I have seen is the dust settling on the dashboard, it's no more there. Normally it would surface within 2 days of cleaning.

It's all part of cost cutting, although it doesn't seem like much but in an ocean of money saved for the company, every drop counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
That's a very useful DIY, especially in dusty places like Mumbai. Though since you are going through the trouble of adding the cabin filter, might as well buy a good one. I've never heard of Zip, and I would suggest you pick up the Honda OE or even the Bosch one, or any other well known brand.

And don't forget to replace it every year.
I wasn't exactly sure whether it would fit in my car, more of a trial and error thing so I bought whatever was available off the shelf, maybe when I change it I might go in for a better one, but right now something is better than nothing, isn't it?

And going by the quality, it's not flimsy as such, it seems to be a quality product, maybe it's cheap because it's a homegrown brand and not some huge multinational. Functionality is what matters most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
Thanks for sharing a useful and informative DIY procedure. Actually had similar experience after I bought Swift Dzire Vxi two years ago. After a month's drive I realized that cabin air filter is not there, so during the first free service brought the matter to the notice of service advisor. I was told that cabin air filter is not a standard fitment in Swift Dzire Vxi (wondered why the company has left out such a basic and important fitment).

Nonetheless bought one for INR 300/- and got it installed. Closely examined the installation and removal procedure and tried it twice myself. Since then I had cleaned it couple of times whenever have felt that airflow is being obstructed due to excessive dust accumulation. Infact knowing these procedures come in very handy when one wants to do some basic maintenance work on the vehicle. DIY procedures save both the time and money which one has to spend unnecessarily by taking the vehicle to the garage for simple jobs.
Like I mentioned earlier, it's all cost cutting. They must have omitted the filter in the lower models and anyway for many people this filter doesn't even make a difference. I'm pretty sure there are many people who have never bothered to clean or change this filter if their cars come with them from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakkesh View Post
Hi Friends,
I am planning to buy a Hindustan Ambassador Grand - 2004 model car. I want to know whether the car originally equipped with a cabin filter or not? If we are going to modify and install a cabin filter how easy and effective it will be? Please help.

Thanks......
No idea about this. I'd suggest you look up online or at auto parts stores if there is a filter available in the market, that might open up more answers regarding your query.
Old 26th November 2015, 23:26   #12

Thanks for the reply. I checked one auto shop in Chennai. They told that they do not have any part no related to cabin filter in the catelog they have. Will our amby enthusiasts assist....??
Old 27th November 2015, 00:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakkesh View Post
Thanks for the reply. I checked one auto shop in Chennai. They told that they do not have any part no related to cabin filter in the catelog they have. Will our amby enthusiasts assist....??
You can try asking in the ambassador thread. Better still, just search first. Chances are someone might have already asked and got the answer as well.
Old 27th November 2015, 06:35   #14
BHPian

Nice DIY, That's a good solution considering the deteriorating quality of air in metro cities . any idea about ford ecosport ? Is there any solution for that also .
Old 27th November 2015, 09:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose.solorider View Post
Nice DIY, That's a good solution considering the deteriorating quality of air in metro cities . any idea about ford ecosport ? Is there any solution for that also .
Tell me about it, the air quality is getting worse every year, so much of dust.

Regarding the EcoSport, I looked up online and a cabin filter is available, all you gotta do now is look for a solution online or just try and and snoop around the air con blower mechanism and figure out how to do it. Do put up a thread once successful. Cheers.
noelnelly is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks